New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    I actually thought it was more of a bell curve, with the books peaking in the middle, until "Mostly Harmless" was the worst. Maybe I'm the minority, but why do I care, I gots mah paycheck. I'm going to go buy a boat!
    You're in the right minority! aka the one I'm in.

Yeah.

You lot are obviously associating with bad drunks. Although it could be a vicious cycle of being incredibly judgemental of each other. WHO KNOWS.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    You lot are obviously associating with bad drunks. Although it could be a vicious cycle of being incredibly judgemental of each other. WHO KNOWS.
    Yeah, this. Some drunken people are annoying, some aren't. It depends more on the person than the fact that they're drunk. Being drunk doesn't make you cool, no, but being sober also doesn't make you superior.

On the flammable/inflammable thing, one of the exam questions I was marking in Jan used inflammable, which I thought at the time was a bit cruel since a good 1/3 of our students have English as a second language and can't be assumed to know what inflammable means. I can't count the number of times I had to read a statement like "X wasn't reckless since the material was inflammable so he had no reason to believe it was unsafe" and had to write "inflammable = flammable (i.e. easily set alight) in the margin, but I was beginning to hate the question designer and the English language alike by the 50th time.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Hit them with something.
    They're a three and a half hour drive away now, so regrettably I can't.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

@Snares: Why, I do believe we've met, my hard-rocking Prog Head.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land, and I need an outside opinion to make sure I'm not judging the book too harshly.

If a character were to use his magical powers to, say, release every inmate from every prison in the state, and simultaneously disarm every law enforcement official that attempts to remedy the situation, would calling that "One of the most evil gorramn things a literary character has been painted in a heroic light for doing." be an exaggeration?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    Yeah, this. Some drunken people are annoying, some aren't. It depends more on the person than the fact that they're drunk. Being drunk doesn't make you cool, no, but being sober also doesn't make you superior.
    I'm generally of the opinion that if you drink to loosen up a bit and enjoy the liquor, that's fine. If you drink solely to get as drunk as you can, that's bad.
    Being sober is fine, provided you don't then complain about everyone else drinking. So complaining designated drivers are just plain annoying, folks like me who just keep quiet about it are fine.

'course I've never seen the appeal of any chemical alterations to your body to induce any form of perceived happiness, whether alcohol or illegal substances. All I ever hear from my friends is how they either don't remember what they did or they regret it.
    If you need anything to have a good time, you're doing it wrong.

BLAH BLAH BLAH PREACHY JIBAR.

Also, it's pretty weird having an ex-RAF engineer for a Grandfather. He asks me round to help him do some DIY, and then insists on doing it all while I just pass him tools. If I wasn't tall, I'd doubt I'd ever do anything else for him.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

@Phase: One of, yes. Certainly.

Also: yes, hells yes. hell friggin yes. I love this magneton. So boss. Just wreckin' up the place. This game has me striding over the corpses of all the pokemans, the enemy's and my own. I am become death.

@Jibos: It's just a very different kind of enjoyment. It's not doing it wrong as such.

And obviously, as with all things, moderation is the key. If you can't remember it there really is no point to the whole thing. Unless you were hilarious.
    Last edited by Dr. Bath; 2010-09-05 at 10:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

This could very well be my longest post on here, ever. Forget quotestorms, this is the Quotempest, and it has no mercy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Parlez-vous Francaise?
    Non, ie ne parles pas Francais, ie parles anglais.

Or if you want to be really fancy: Non, ie ne la parles pas, ie parles anglais.

Not bad for only one year of French though.
    Sacre bleu, je suis le rubbishe at la Francais, non? Zut alors! Ceci n'est pas un anglais idiot croque monsieur.

My mistake. Oop North is Oop North. Sometimes it's Really Oop North and sometimes it's iust Oop North.
    I find it funny though as they never bothered repealing so many of these laws. Like the one about pregnant women urinating in the traditional policeman's helmet.
    My Norman-aristocracy-descended friend's family has a Royal Proclamation from Edward III or a similar medieval monarch allowing him to carry a sword and herd sheep through the City of London. I wish he'd use it - I would, if I were him!

o.O
    Where? When? And does it really matter, it's Stephen Fry and that's all you need to know. :smallenvy:
    Later this month at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm incredibly excited. :smallchuffed:

'Tis true. I do love my Austen, but Mansfield Park is so dully depressing. After you've read it you really ought to turn to something Austen-y and happy that isn't Pride and Preiudice, don't get me wrong, I love that book; but it's a bit overrated.
    I've read P&P and S&S. After this I should like to read Northanger Abbey, methinks.

Past and Present sounds interesting, how far back does it go? Either way, I suggest you read Paradise Lost - mainly because I'm a large nerd - but it's a good read.
    The earliest thing I have to read is The Odyssey, so it's just as well that I enjoyed The Iliad.
    I've never managed to get around to Paradise Lost, largely because I did Keats for my coursework instead. But that's absolutely fine, because I love Keats. *Romantic poetry geek*
    As far as Culture and Criticism goes . . . you will hate and despise anything written by Stanley Fisher or about The Death of the Author and responses to it.
    I shall keep my eyes peeled for this suspicious chap.
    But plunge deep into your Literary Theory book, it's more interesting than it looks. I don't know which book it is, but literary theory is fun.
    I started after posting it. Chugging through the Formalists at the moment. I can't help but find myself agree with one sentence and disagree with the next with this lot; I hope that's normal.

HERETIC!!!!!
    There is never too much Discworld. Until you get to the point where you literally can't buy any more books. The Witches books are good, but not as good as the Death arc. Read Reaper Man and weep.
    I've read Reaper Man, but I don't actually remember that much from it. Stuff about Death on a farm, and a philosophical bit about time and progress, and some kind of magical supermarket 80s-privatisation-satirising entity at Unseen University.
    Heretic?

Un-HERETIC!!!!!
    Hooray!

I risk that every time I step into a place with books.
    A literary vortex.
    There must surely be a novel about that. I assure you, I'm sure of the surety of it, for sure.

There is a cat-puddly on my lap.
    I am a prisoner of the Demon-Cat.
    Send help. Quick.
    We have two cats. One puddles down upon me and wants to be tickled, but claws me if I attempt to grant that desire, the other claws me and loves shoving her head into my hand. I do not understand the rationale behind either of them, but I admire their hedonistic spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    I love our crazy by-laws. My favourite is the requirement to do an hour's longbow practice every day. Men of Britain, you're shirking in your duty to our realm!
    All cab drivers are failing to provide hay in the back for the horses. Funnily enough, I haven't seen many horses preceding cabs... could there be a connection?
    Of course! All the horses have starved to death. Curse you, foul cabbies!

EDIT OF ANGER!:
    Someone sent me an email and put spoilers of I Shall Wear Midnight in it.
    Luckily I only read a very, very, very small one.
    There's some dude called The Cunning Man.
    Sadly, this whatever it is, is now called Baldrick of the CUnning Plan.
    How badly has that ruined the book?
    Probably a bit considering I think Bladrick of the Cunning Plan is meant to be a villain.
    The person who sent me that email is going to face my wrath. And it is righteous.
    Reminds me of the infinite pleasure I had of partaking in informing those in the queue at the midnight launch of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in my loudest and most resoundingly obtrusive voice that SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE.
    My German teacher did always tell me that Schadenfreude fit me to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Just read the first two pages of Feet of Clay...something about Golems...I'm waiting for it to surprise me.
    I really like that one. 'Tis most hilarious and twisty.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Hmm...I seem to be replying to Koorly a lot. Then again, she always has something interesting to say. I might as well hit the "add quote" button every time I see her post, and read what she wrote afterward.
    The same goes for me; in fact...
    I'm am invariably surprised on the rare occasions I pass over one of Curly's posts in my quotestorms. It's probably a more frequent occurrence for me to have a quotestorm post responding to no-one but Curly.
    Yep.

ION:
    That Slender Man thread got me reading through TVTropes about the mythos again and the various blogs and whatnot.
    How odd is it that I'm actually contemplating a blog with serious analysis of the Slender Man and why he became so popular so quickly.
    As a bonus, if I ever got bored iust analysing the symbolism, possible 'real life' precendents and whatnot behind an internet meme I could always get a friend with a long blogging history in on the ioke.
    Start mentioning how my friend wants to play a ioke on his friend (with a sporadic blog of about sixteen to twenty months) and so he starts using my blog analysis as a base to make his friend (now called Bob) freak out.
    The ebst way to do it would be to show Bob marble Hornets about five or six months before starting the prank. Get him to make a post about it - note: he has to be quite sceptical - and dismiss it entirely, but enioy the scares.
    Then My Friend would start his kicks. ANd he'd be posting comments on my blog; and I'd be referencing his actions; he himself wouldn't actually mention it on his blog for obvious reasons.
    Then Bob would slowly become convinced that The Slender Man was real, and become edgy, paranoid and a little . . . off; before having him finally attack 'The Slender Man' in terror.
    My analysis blog would then - say a week after the 'event' - comment on what happened.
    "This is what happens when people take internet memes too seriously." or something. Of course, I would then spend the entire post begging people not to do this etc. because effectively stalking someone is a BAD IDEA especially as it lead to having My Friend be seriously iniured and scarred for life.
    I would then resume my analysis blog, but very shaikly and irregularly for a couple of months.
    Then resume as normal.

Yeah. Never let me near a meme which got out of control and has substance behind it.
    Still.
    It's a damn cool idea. Plus I believe it goes against typical Slender Man stuff where he actually exists. So Bob's blog would seem to be a typical Slender Man blog, until it gets out of hand.
    Deconstructing memes about humanoid eldritch abominations - even in theory - is fun.
    That's so delightfully and fantastically excellent and deliciously and devilishly devious. I myself have toyed with the idea of contributing to the Slender Man Mythos, but I only really got as far as deciding that YouTube had been done decisively and to emulate Marble Hornets is useless before my thoughts strayed elsewhere.
    You have a potential collaborator here.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I learned irregarless isn't a word today while in English class. My dreams of being irregardless have been ruined.
    Any word can be a word. Just because it's not in the dictionary doesn't mean it's not a word. Oobleflooge is now a word, and no pretentious dictionary editor can take oobleflooge away from me!

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    ETA: Another pet peeve of mine is when people use "good" instead of "well". As in "How are you?" "I'm good." What if I don't define "good" the same way you do? Huh? HUH?
    I hate "well good" even more, but most of the time I loathe the sort of pedantry you're peddling - it puts so many people off of expressing themselves fully and without the encumbrance of linguistic humiliation in favour of stagnation. Language is innate and belongs to everyone, not to some crusty grammararian.
    Though you are of course, free to express your opinion.

Thank you. :smallevil:
    Best bit about that was I eventually went to bed about four o'clock this morning, and maybe ten minutes later I started getting The Cough a la Marble Hornets, and the milkman comes around half four on a Saturday. But he was early today.
    I was smirking into the darkness about how Slender Man-y it was with the distorted shadow of the milkman in his headlines emblazoned across the ceiling while I coughed.
    Oh the delicious irony.

The trio of blogs is still very tempting. I fell asleep thinking about how certain qualities of the Slender Man were evocative of the UnSeelie.
    And then dreamt about buying a copy of House of Leaves.
    You should make sure to keep $20 in the house as a defence.

Quote Originally Posted by InaVegt View Post
    I remember my first posts on gitp....

They looked somewhat like this:
    Mine were mostly sarcastic and mean-spirited in nature, but then I didn't think I would stick around.
    Come for the comic, stay for the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Naoto Shirogane View Post
    I really don't like drunken people. They both repulse and disgust me. They think I'm a pathetic idiot for not wanting to get drunk with them, and tell me that I don't know how to have fun, and that I'm boring.

And yet they still try to drag me into talking with them

Go away. You're drunk, and I think you're pathetic for feeling the need to get that way because you think it's fun.

Sick of people putting me down because I don't get drunk
    Don't generalise. I am myself often a drunk person, and I'm normally told I'm a happy, funny drunk.

OK, that's bad, but you shouldn't generalise and lump all drunken people in with those who do this. I know some lovely drunken people.
    You see?
    Perhaps you should find better drunkards to interact with, or perhaps you could try having a drink yourself? It may not be intentional, but your post does come across as stubborn.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

[rant]I am so sick of French. I'm into my fourth year of, and I am so bored. My French isn't even that good. The only other language that my school offers is Spanish, and well, I have a bias against Spanish. My Spanish teachers have always been horrible. German was cut two years, Latin a while ago, and Japanese some time before that.[/rant]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Phase View Post
    Okay, I'm reading Stranger in a Strange Land, and I need an outside opinion to make sure I'm not judging the book too harshly.

If a character were to use his magical powers to, say, release every inmate from every prison in the state, and simultaneously disarm every law enforcement official that attempts to remedy the situation, would calling that "One of the most evil gorramn things a literary character has been painted in a heroic light for doing." be an exaggeration?
    Assuming that no other literary critic has confused the Good/Evil axis with the Law/Chaos axis (and that is not an assumption one can make), it would be unique. . .Do you assume that the criminals who have been in the jails have access to more physical strength, melee weaponry, and persuasive social tactics than the lawmen, or equal, or lesser? When I read the book, the pervasive undertone of equality amongst humans meant that I assumed the natural gifts of criminals and lawmen were now equalized. I didn't dwell very much on the handicap the lawmen now had in that their first reaction would be to reach for a force they no longer had.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-09-05 at 10:59 AM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

Well the point being that he's setting free all the serial killers and rapists that New York State has to offer, for the sheer reason that he finds locking people up is the worst atrocity one can commit against a person. So I guess and the raping and murdering and looting going on is just, what, a pleasant Sunday afternoon?

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

I AM MAD AT VIDJA GAMES. I should quit doing that. Vidja games should also stop being cheating bastards and stop killing my cool pokemans.

These quotes horrify me. I literally cannot read them. It hurts me.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I AM MAD AT VIDJA GAMES. I should quit doing that. Vidja games should also stop being cheating bastards and stop killing my cool pokemans.

These quotes horrify me. I literally cannot read them. It hurts me.
    But you're the one who said that.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Banned

Interesting how our assumptions differed so much. First and irrelevantly, I could have sworn that the nest was on the west coast, in California. Second, I did not assume that the unlocking of the bars meant a wave of fresh crimes, but instead that the criminals would flee the premises while the lawmen attempted to stop them leaving. Third, I recognized that the Martian system only worked when equal force met equal force, and while the murderer would now be subject to the will of the would-have-been-victim and so on, in equality, that there was no equality between a prisoner and his inhuman* jail cell. Most importantly, the prison system sprung up as we became less willing to use a death penalty, when the Martians place a much lower value on continued human life as an end in itself; they may have less incentive to regard a murder as anything other than mutual and good, but they have even less desire to keep someone alive for the sake of life itself.

*not inhumane--inhuman, inanimate, without human motivation or desire

15. - Top - End - #285
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    I hate "well good" even more, but most of the time I loathe the sort of pedantry you're peddling - it puts so many people off of expressing themselves fully and without the encumbrance of linguistic humiliation in favour of stagnation. Language is innate and belongs to everyone, not to some crusty grammararian.
    Though you are of course, free to express your opinion.
    I don't actually correct people most of the time, you know... Mainly because I'm pretty sure either they don't care a jot or it would antagonise them. The only things that I do sometimes comment on is when they're using a newer/more colloquial/shifted/what have you meaning of a word, and there isn't another word that means what it used to mean.

For myself, I'm a perscriptivist, not out of principle but because I love all the quirks and silliness of English grammar and want to preserve its convolutions. But I do see the merit of the descriptivist point of view, and I'm fine when other people look at language that way (I even do it too, sometimes), except when it means that we'd end up losing a word and having nothing with which to replace it.

I make a point of saying "I'm well" rather than "I'm good". I don't correct other people who don't, though I may make snarky comments in my head about it. But when people do things like use "literally" as an emphasiser it makes me want to cry, because we don't have another word that means what "literally" used to mean.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
    Interesting how our assumptions differed so much. First and irrelevantly, I could have sworn that the nest was on the west coast, in California. Second, I did not assume that the unlocking of the bars meant a wave of fresh crimes, but instead that the criminals would flee the premises while the lawmen attempted to stop them leaving. Third, I recognized that the Martian system only worked when equal force met equal force, and while the murderer would now be subject to the will of the would-have-been-victim and so on, in equality, that there was no equality between a prisoner and his inhuman jail cell. Most importantly, the prison system sprung up as we became less willing to use a death penalty, when the Martians place a much lower value on continued human life as an end in itself; they may have less incentive to regard a murder as anything other than mutual and good, but they have even less desire to keep someone alive for the sake of life itself.
    Ah, I think I read a line wrong, yes, California. That makes it all the worse! Equality would be a good argument, but looking at modern day prison systems, at least, the prisoners would easily be capable of overpowering unarmed forces. The prisoners would overcome the defenseless authorities, not being generally trained in hand-to-hand combat, and what would the Martian-speakers expect? They all flee and go live happy, productive lives unchained by the system? No, once they escape a good majority of those people are going to go on to hurt innocent civilians. Keep in mind that humans in this universe go straight on to the afterlife once the prisoners have raped them to death, they don't remain discorporeal like Martians do. It's a dangerous thing to do, at best, yet he's praised for it by everyone with whom we're supposed to sympathize. Not that I actually sympathize with these people who are SO MUCH BETTER than us normal, up-tight people who FOLLOW THE LAW and DON'T CHEAT OURSELVES INTO RICHES and CARE ABOUT THE SANCTITY OF HUMAN LIFE.

I'm not especially fond of this book.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    @Snares: Why, I do believe we've met, my hard-rocking Prog Head.
    Aha, he's figured it out! Took you a while but you got there in the end... yes, indeed we have, my shoegazing black-metalling industrial head. I like it here. I just discovered there are people who create FFRP characters named for the songs off The Bedlam in Goliath. Which is, y'know, just about my favourite album of all time.

@Jibar - you are the cat muffin person doing creative writing at UEA, are you not? I'm considering going there for a postgraduate degree, what's the course and place like? Interesting people? What kind of writing do you do there, and how much freedom is there to write what you like?
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    @Jibar - you are the cat muffin person doing creative writing at UEA, are you not? I'm considering going there for a postgraduate degree, what's the course and place like? Interesting people? What kind of writing do you do there, and how much freedom is there to write what you like?
    Uh, I would've been had I not had a 6 month long nervous breakdown and failed all my A2 exams. Now I'm at Nottingham Trent, doing pretty much the same course.
    However, since it just down the road to me, I can still tell you that the UEA is a pretty nice place. The ever present concrete could be prettier, but the rooms are all nice, the campus is easy to get around, you've got a level lake just 5 minutes from anywhere on campus which is great to eat lunch by. Norwich itself is a nice city, very quiet and slow. Good shopping, good restaurants. Night life is a bit... lacking, but there's enough cheap options there for students.
    Assuming things about the course now, based on what I've been doing at Nottingham, then your writing is completely your own. Most I've had is suggested themes, certain opening words, things like that. You've got room for as much creativity as you want.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    But you're the one who said that.
    No. The huge posts that consist entirely of quotes from another gargantuan post.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No. The huge posts that consist entirely of quotes from another gargantuan post.
    Huge post? Where?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Naoto: Yeah, what Bath said.

Some drunk people are stil just as nice as they are sober.

I myself, even though the memory over the months tend to fal back into pits, am a nice drunk. I rescue wood nymphs, hang out, relaxing with some friends, occasionaly a spur of hyperactivity, and I pretty much always need some alcohol in my system to remove the self-hate, shy-ness and insecurity that I have so that I can make the first move/kiss her.(Yeah, bad, I know. But it's not that far up at the ''worries'' list for me >.>)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Aha, he's figured it out! Took you a while but you got there in the end... yes, indeed we have, my shoegazing black-metalling industrial head. I like it here. I just discovered there are people who create FFRP characters named for the songs off The Bedlam in Goliath. Which is, y'know, just about my favourite album of all time.
    Ah yes, I'm currently at home writing experimental shoegaze acoustic guitar riffs.
    Because I'm tr00 kvlt like that.
    I used to be on FFRP. In fact, I created my very own Anagram organisation. I wander how that's going actually...

EDIT: Oh look, it stille exists. Thread 7... *sniff* They grow up so fast. :')
    Last edited by Nameless; 2010-09-05 at 12:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, I think they went for looking so disreputable no-one could believe he was actually so.
    I shall pass m iudgement when I see the film. Assuming Papa Dearest hasn't spirited it away to his lorry for the next millenium.

Illness bad (Tree Curly pretty)
    'Twas but a scratctwenty-four hour bug. I'm mostly fine now, albeit more easily distracted than usual and unable to finish my translation due to floaty head syndrome.

Yay! Excellent books them.
    Am about a third of the way through the third one. Things are looking interesting, the Krikkit Wars have iust popped up.
    I have come to the conclusion that being so late to probably one of the most definite sci-fi conmedy series ever is that I know shadows of snippets about the plot.
    Belgium is a naughty word.
    Cricket is a bad thing - maybe because of the Krikkit Wars?
    I knew towels were important, and I know why now.
    It's quite peculiar really.

Sacre bleu, je suis le rubbishe at la Francais, non? Zut alors! Ceci n'est pas un anglais idiot croque monsieur.
    Exclamative, I am it rubbish at the French, no? Exclamative. This [neg]is[/neg] one English idiot cheese-and-ham-toastie. ?
    I get the gist though, quite giggleworthy.

My Norman-aristocracy-descended friend's family has a Royal Proclamation from Edward III or a similar medieval monarch allowing him to carry a sword and herd sheep through the City of London. I wish he'd use it - I would, if I were him!
    Royal Proclamations should be abused more often. That would be another site worthy of an historical titter.

Later this month at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm incredibly excited. :smallchuffed:
    :envy:
    And now I know what it's about too, I wish you much enioyment.

I've read P&P and S&S. After this I should like to read Northanger Abbey, methinks.
    There's a stylistic split about halfway through when it goes from normal Austen to pastiching the Gothic; very fun.

The earliest thing I have to read is The Odyssey, so it's just as well that I enjoyed The Iliad.
    I've never managed to get around to Paradise Lost, largely because I did Keats for my coursework instead. But that's absolutely fine, because I love Keats. *Romantic poetry geek*
    The Odyssey is fanfiction. Complete and utter fanfiction. It's literally sex on the beach.
    Then again, The Aeneid is worse. It's a Mary Sue fanfiction.
    Dante's Comedy is self-insert fanfiction of all the above and the Bible though, so you got fairly well off with the Odyssey.
    But Paradise Lost is epic. In every sense. Well worth the read, plus you love Keats, who loved Paradise Lost - it'll give you bonus allusions for your Romantic love affair.

I shall keep my eyes peeled for this suspicious chap.
    He will melt your brain. For nothing. NOTHING AT ALL.

I started after posting it. Chugging through the Formalists at the moment. I can't help but find myself agree with one sentence and disagree with the next with this lot; I hope that's normal.
    Russian Formalists of the 1950s right? The text is the text and nothing else.
    I hope I got that right, I haven't thought of them at all since my exams in early Iune.

I've read Reaper Man, but I don't actually remember that much from it. Stuff about Death on a farm, and a philosophical bit about time and progress, and some kind of magical supermarket 80s-privatisation-satirising entity at Unseen University.
    Heretic?
    So you didn't get all emotional when Death makes his plea to Azrael? And everything after it?
    Men. Tch.

Well, you're not a heretic any more.

Hooray!
    My thoughts exactly.

A literary vortex.
    There must surely be a novel about that. I assure you, I'm sure of the surety of it, for sure.
    It's called the Discworld.
    It's a very good idea though, I shall steal it.

That's so delightfully and fantastically excellent and deliciously and devilishly devious. I myself have toyed with the idea of contributing to the Slender Man Mythos, but I only really got as far as deciding that YouTube had been done decisively and to emulate Marble Hornets is useless before my thoughts strayed elsewhere.
    You have a potential collaborator here.
    Now all we need is a third, and some other willing people to fake comments and such. :smallsmirkingevil:

You should make sure to keep $20 in the house as a defence.
    I'm maybe two persuasions away from buying the book.

Tonight is Star Trek marathon night. Now to ask Mother Angel if it's okay to buy some alcohol and lemonade and store it in the house.
    I feel like another attempt at getting whimsically tipsy while watching occasionally trippy 1960s sci-fi, the plots of said show, and especially the special effects failures.

EDIT:
    However, I do have Zydrate Anatomy stuck in my head, so maybe some schlocky, small-budgeted, all-star cast opera about organ theft is also on the lines.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-05 at 01:07 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Uh, I would've been had I not had a 6 month long nervous breakdown and failed all my A2 exams. Now I'm at Nottingham Trent, doing pretty much the same course.
    However, since it just down the road to me, I can still tell you that the UEA is a pretty nice place. The ever present concrete could be prettier, but the rooms are all nice, the campus is easy to get around, you've got a level lake just 5 minutes from anywhere on campus which is great to eat lunch by. Norwich itself is a nice city, very quiet and slow. Good shopping, good restaurants. Night life is a bit... lacking, but there's enough cheap options there for students.
    Assuming things about the course now, based on what I've been doing at Nottingham, then your writing is completely your own. Most I've had is suggested themes, certain opening words, things like that. You've got room for as much creativity as you want.
    Oh, sorry. Sounds nice that you have a lot of freedom though - that's something I was hoping for. I'd just like to make sure I wouldn't have to write about something that doesn't inspire me, or in a way I'd find awkward. Thanks!

Ah yes, I'm currently at home writing experimental shoegaze acoustic guitar riffs.
    Because I'm tr00 kvlt like that.
    \m/

I was doing some blast beats earlier today.

I used to be on FFRP. In fact, I created my very own Anagram organisation. I wander how that's going actually...

EDIT: Oh look, it stille exists. Thread 7... *sniff* They grow up so fast. :')
    I think you mean acronym. And NO is a pretty brilliant acronym. Short, blunt and to the point - [dramaticvoice]NO.[/dramaticvoice]
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, sorry. Sounds nice that you have a lot of freedom though - that's something I was hoping for. I'd just like to make sure I wouldn't have to write about something that doesn't inspire me, or in a way I'd find awkward. Thanks!
    Not to question your skills at all, but if you want to truly succeed as a writer you can't only write what you want to write. Challenges like those you describe are probably the best thing you can do to help improve your work. You can write what you like on your downtime simple enough, but writing what you don't like is worth paying all that student loan for.
    As an example, I've primarily written comedy and horror before, but in Uni I've been writing character dramas, experiments in personality and exploring very basic, human relationships. I would have never dreamed of writing something like this before, and it was a challenge for someone as devoid of the basics of normality as me but I've come out with work greater than ever.

BLAH BLAH BLAH PREACHY JIBAR.

I should really find my coursework and post it here sometime, considering it earned a well deserved First.
    Nothing but a Nobody

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

I've now moved from Bede to Ann Radcliffe's Sicilian Romance. Different class, obviously.

I also had an adventure last night involving accidentally stepping out of my sandal and onto a shard of glass, in the dark, at eleven PM, on a side street behind a fraternity while waiting for friends to leave a party. There was a lot of blood and a limping journey back home. Fortunately no one had been drinking and I therefore had support for the walk.

An excellent experience. Would do again.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I think you mean acronym. And NO is a pretty brilliant acronym. Short, blunt and to the point - [dramaticvoice]NO.[/dramaticvoice]
    NO still lives? E.o

I remember back in the day when I was a important member back there!
    One of the founding fathers! Errr founding cookiemonsters. Thingy.

Whatever! *waves with cane* Get off mah lawn!
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2010-09-05 at 03:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Ceikatar!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

\m/

I was doing some blast beats earlier today.
    We should like, form a band. Post-Rock Progressive Shoegaze Depressive Suicidal Black Metal all the way. \m/ But what influences shall we have? Symphony, Melody? Perhaps Folk? Maybe all three!

And while you're at it, figure out the drums for this song. I'm done with the rythem guitar and one riff away from being done with the lead. I need a totally badass drummer such as yourself to like, totally drum over the guitars once I've recorded it.
    Which knowing me, will never happen.

Actually, yes. And I'm not just saying that to get out of this awkward situation, I did in fact mean Acronym. I have no idea why I typed anagram.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2010-09-05 at 04:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Melodic all the way!
    Symphony is good, but melodic is just better.

And folk is a must, ofcourse. Now shall we venture this discussion onward in the metal thread?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ceikatar!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    Melodic all the way!
    Symphony is good, but melodic is just better.

And folk is a must, ofcourse. Now shall we venture this discussion onward in the metal thread?
    Nah, I'm quite happy spamming Random Banter actually.

And Symphony is amazing.