New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Not to question your skills at all, but if you want to truly succeed as a writer you can't only write what you want to write. Challenges like those you describe are probably the best thing you can do to help improve your work. You can write what you like on your downtime simple enough, but writing what you don't like is worth paying all that student loan for.
    As an example, I've primarily written comedy and horror before, but in Uni I've been writing character dramas, experiments in personality and exploring very basic, human relationships. I would have never dreamed of writing something like this before, and it was a challenge for someone as devoid of the basics of normality as me but I've come out with work greater than ever.

BLAH BLAH BLAH PREACHY JIBAR.

I should really find my coursework and post it here sometime, considering it earned a well deserved First.
    You're right. I just worry a lot about not showing what I can do, and I tend to struggle to find motivation to really put work into things I've not been interested in. And I tend to get pretty miserable if I'm just sitting there staring at a piece of paper with no good ideas (which has happened plenty of times before). Although I suppose I'd be more motivated if I had a deadline, and people who actually know what they're doing criticising my stuff... I think.

I'd be interested in seeing your coursework, it'd be useful to see what a First-earning bit of creative writing-ish stuff looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    NO still lives? E.o

I remember back in the day when I was a important member back there!
    One of the founding fathers! Errr founding cookiemonsters. Thingy.

Whatever! *waves with cane* Get off mah lawn!
    I'm not on your lawn though. D: Just remembered from my vague wanderings in the FFRP section that NO was on its seventh thread, and put two and two together. And yes, it appears to be still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    We should like, form a band. Post-Rock Progressive Shoegaze Depressive Suicidal Black Metal all the way. \m/ But what influences shall we have? Symphony, Melody? Perhaps Folk? Maybe all three!

And while you're at it, figure out the drums for this song. I'm almost done working out the guitars and I need a totally badass drummer such as yourself to drum over the guitars once I've recorded it.
    Which knowing me, will never happen.
    Symphonic Melodic Post-Rock Progressive Shoegaze Depressive Suicidal Folk Black Metal? Whyever not!

And I gave that song a listen, nothing I can't do in there. It's just the recording part which is annoying, I have no real access to anything that can record drums... unless I can somehow wrangle use of the little drum roomy thing at college...

Actually, yes. And I'm not just saying that to get out of this awkward situation, I did in fact mean Acronym. I have no idea why I typed anagram.
    I guess anagram sounds similar to acronym, and they have kind of similar meanings... it would be easy to mix them up. Words are easy things to get mixed up with.
    cool avatar by araveugnitsuga

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

The alcohol is flowing, and the 1960s sci-fi is playing.
    Good times, here I come.

Best part is that Little Sister's off the school tomorrow, and the Brothers go (Britland) college on Thursday.

Oh wow! That was terrible special effects. Awesome.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    This could very well be my longest post on here, ever. Forget quotestorms, this is the Quotempest, and it has no mercy.
    Meh. It's not that long.

Later this month at the Royal Albert Hall. I'm incredibly excited. :smallchuffed:
    Royal Albert Hall's a pretty cool place, speaking as someone who's performed there (And iust loves to show off about that).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    These quotes horrify me. I literally cannot read them. It hurts me.
    That's fine. We'll iust have our own separate conversation for the people cool enough to read quotestorms.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    Belgium is a naughty word.
    The worst expletive known to many races.

I knew towels were important, and I know why now.
    It's a tough universe out there - full of people trying to do you, screw you, rip you off. If you're going to survive out there, you've always got to know where your towel is.

EDIT:
    However, I do have Zydrate Anatomy stuck in my head, so maybe some schlocky, small-budgeted, all-star cast opera about organ theft is also on the lines.
    Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

Actually, while Zydrate Anatomy is by far the catchiest song from Repo, the bit of Graverobber that really gets me is at the start, in 21st Century Cure, when he goes,
    Lest it be you on the concrete below...
    And on the 'low' he drops to that bottom E and it's iust a little spine-tingling.

ION: I didn't quite make it to the beach, but we instead went to a friend's house and ended up playing Fluxx. Good times were had.
    Also, I only iust remembered. It is now, today, exactly one month until Ruddigore. *Excited*
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

I was told last night that I've ben selected as an official for the National Finals weekend in two weeks time.
    It won't be for one of the 'big' games, but I'm happy all the same, since this is only my second year officiating, and I've been thought of as good enough to warrant a spot as a finals weekend official.

It'll be for junior kitted 5-on-5 and for adult 5-on-5 flag, and will include a total of 6 games over two days.

I'm EXCITED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snares View Post
    Symphonic Melodic Post-Rock Progressive Shoegaze Depressive Suicidal Folk Black Metal? Whyever not!

And I gave that song a listen, nothing I can't do in there. It's just the recording part which is annoying, I have no real access to anything that can record drums... unless I can somehow wrangle use of the little drum roomy thing at college...
    Don't worry too much. I was only making small talk.
    Yes, giving people orders is small talk in Nameless-Land.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2010-09-05 at 05:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I was told last night that I've ben selected as an official for the National Finals weekend in two weeks time.
    It won't be for one of the 'big' games, but I'm happy all the same, since this is only my second year officiating, and I've been thought of as good enough to warrant a spot as a finals weekend official.

It'll be for junior kitted 5-on-5 and for adult 5-on-5 flag, and will include a total of 6 games over two days.

I'm EXCITED!
    Sounds like a good time. In a giant orange excited sort of way.

On another note has anybody picked up Brent Weeks' new book The Black Prism? I assure you it is just as good as his other books, The Night Angel Trilogy. And if you haven't read any if his books I pity you and demand that you go out and buy all four

But seriously go buy them. Now.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    Will you give me money to buy them with? I'm poor.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

aaahh...

Bacon and poorly-mixed J-Pop.

A match made in heaven.

In other news; the power went out earlier, and with no rain in the skies nor thunder in my ears, I'm blaming the sod next door with the loud-as-demons bass playing for an hour straight. While I was trying to read, no less.

The power outage went a little like this; At first I was all 'AW now i has to find window,' but then I was all 'YAH now i can take out earplugs.'

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PJ the Epic View Post
    Will you give me money to buy them with? I'm poor.
    Um, well... no. You could always go without food for a month. It would be worth it to have the books

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    aaahh...

Bacon and poorly-mixed J-Pop.

A match made in heaven.

In other news; the power went out earlier, and with no rain in the skies nor thunder in my ears, I'm blaming the sod next door with the loud-as-demons bass playing for an hour straight. While I was trying to read, no less.

The power outage went a little like this; At first I was all 'AW now i has to find window,' but then I was all 'YAH now i can take out earplugs.'
    Sounds like a win win. Vitamin D and no loud music
    Last edited by Gullara; 2010-09-05 at 09:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Sounds like a good time. In a giant orange excited sort of way.

On another note has anybody picked up Brent Weeks' new book The Black Prism? I assure you it is just as good as his other books, The Night Angel Trilogy. And if you haven't read any if his books I pity you and demand that you go out and buy all four

I just finished the Night Angel Trilogy, so will second this. So awesomely amazingly great! I have not bought the new book yet, though will likely soon, and by soon I mean, after I do Iron Poet judgments and ink and color Zeb's new avatar, I will go upstairs, buy it on my kindle and start reading.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Orc in the Playground

Don't worry too much. I was only making small talk.
    Yes, giving people orders is small talk in Nameless-Land.
    You have to understand that, if someone asks me to drum for them, I'm perfectly willing to drag half of my kit on the train across London to play. The experience is always worth the inconvenience. Well, it is for me, at least.

Besides, I could learn that song in about half an hour, no problems. [/showingoff]

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

So...I live in the Seattle area, and it's always been my secret suspicion that Grunge and Nirvana are more important here than anywhere else, because it has its roots here. I am personally not a huge fan of Nirvana, but I know a lot of people that are. My girlfriend and her friends are at Bumbershoot, and Hole is playing, and I'm being told about how bad Courtney Love is, and how much they hate her and such, and I don't fully understand. As far as I can tell, Nirvana as a band is a Big Deal. But I don't see every store on the corner selling Che Guevara-style Kurt Cobain shirts, and I don't hear about Nirvana songs being in Gossip Girl and such. As far as I know, that is because of the other two Nirvana members and Courtney Love.

Now, being a music enthusiast, I know Courtney Love is kind of crazypants, but that's true of a lot of musicians. If I remember my release dates correctly, the first Hole album came out before Nevermind, and was actually fairly successful, before Nirvana and Cobain were famous, so the Love-Cobain relationship wasn't important to either album's success. Shockingly, I've discovered that this dislike is not unique to people I know, but is in fact quite prevelant. Discounting people who think Courtney Love killed Cobain (because they are crazypants themselves), is there really a reason to dislike Courtney Love on the basis of liking Kurt Cobain and Nirvana?

/off-topic
    Last edited by Raistlin1040; 2010-09-05 at 10:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, just finished having dinner with my Israeli Commando cousin. It's always nice visiting with the half of one's family that isn't off the wall insane.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    I just finished the Night Angel Trilogy, so will second this. So awesomely amazingly great! I have not bought the new book yet, though will likely soon, and by soon I mean, after I do Iron Poet judgments and ink and color Zeb's new avatar, I will go upstairs, buy it on my kindle and start reading.
    I pretty much spent the last two days reading it, it's so good. Maybe not the best way to spend all of my time, but when I get into a good book I can hardly bring myself to put it down.

I shouldn't have expected that I would spend my time any other way when I walked into Chapters armed with $100 in gift certificates. Oh well, time well wasted. I have another day until university starts anyway, so I'd better get all the reading in that I can.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post

I'm EXCITED!
    This sounds awesome, man. Gratz and stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    I can confirm that she did just this, as promised.

ION: Look! New avatar! No more scaring people with pictures of my baby, I guess.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Auauaagh! Why must the teacher presenting our 100 points Project Work course talk to us as if we were 10 years old children? My intellectual facilities! They hurt! THEY HURT!

EDIT: She just introduced the moment called the "Blog Book"! Seriously, just call it a Log Book. It doesn't even involve the internet!

I really want to leave the room right now. Even my body agrees with me. I imagine miniature Damage Control teams running around inside my head to minimize the brain damage. Hell of a job, as far as I can tell.

Anyone's got any brain bleach in stock?
    /EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    ION: Look! New avatar! No more scaring people with pictures of my baby, I guess.
    Whoo! It looks all nice and nice and... stuff. And, yeah, your baby avatar used to scare me a lot before I grew more accustomed to it.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2010-09-06 at 02:48 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317

Dear Playground: Save me from ignorant people, who make claims such as

"No anti virus is the way too go. Slow's down PC performance for what, nothing. If you don't visit dodgy sites, or download dodgy s*** then you're in no-way going to get these virus"

and

"Why do you think some can pick up some virus' and others can't. Even when they're both 'quarantining'."

Yes, because quarantining really affects whether your antivirus picks up something or not

18. - Top - End - #318
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
    Dear Playground: Save me from ignorant people, who make claims such as

"No anti virus is the way too go. Slow's down PC performance for what, nothing. If you don't visit dodgy sites, or download dodgy s*** then you're in no-way going to get these virus"

and

"Why do you think some can pick up some virus' and others can't. Even when they're both 'quarantining'."

Yes, because quarantining really affects whether your antivirus picks up something or not

Use Sophos. It doesn't scan every file every time, it hashs the file and if the hash hasn't changed, it doesn't scan it again. Much less slowdown.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #319
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    /off-topic
    Long story short, no. And I've encountered people convinced that Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain and made it out to look like a suicide out on the east coast as well, so it's not like it's some kind of local urban legend, either, thanks to the wonders of the internet or something.

So, my advice to you is to try to avoid the topic of such things as much as you can if your girlfriend is that kind of girl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

movie night last night at mine...

I watched Harry Brown
    then we watched Dorian Gray
    ate some pizza
    finally we watched Hot tub time machine
    and played a round of BANG!

all in all a good night!
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

This sounds awesome, man. Gratz and stuff!

I can confirm that she did just this, as promised.

I felt there were times when your old avvie would crawl out of the screen and eat me.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Long story short, no. And I've encountered people convinced that Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain and made it out to look like a suicide out on the east coast as well, so it's not like it's some kind of local urban legend, either, thanks to the wonders of the internet or something.

So, my advice to you is to try to avoid the topic of such things as much as you can if your girlfriend is that kind of girl.
    Logic has triumphed, because I have successfully convinced her that there is no reason to dislike Courney Love on Nirvana-based reasoning!

I don't actually like Hole much anyway, and I'm fairly meh on Courtney Love, but that's beside the point!
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

23. - Top - End - #323

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Logic has triumphed, because I have successfully convinced her that there is no reason to dislike Courney Love on Nirvana-based reasoning!

I don't actually like Hole much anyway, and I'm fairly meh on Courtney Love, but that's beside the point!
    How peculiar. That's probably a first, my good sir. Well, to me anyway. Rationality and music so rarely seem to go together even though ultimately it demands thought and feeling.

Too many people seem to think of music as some kind of headless, flailing beast or something. Quite confusing.

It is a nifty new avatar. Sorry if we made you uncomfortable or anything.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #324

I've taken the day off today from my studies. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I'll probably be fine. I'll have plenty of time anyway to get the job done. Huzzah for laziness!

And I'll make up for it tomorrow, honest!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I've taken the day off today from my studies. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I'll probably be fine. I'll have plenty of time anyway to get the job done. Huzzah for laziness!

And I'll make up for it tomorrow, honest!
    Well, as long as you succeede with your studies and don't get too stressed, I guess that's all well. Have a nice day off!
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

26. - Top - End - #326

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, as long as you succeede with your studies and don't get too stressed, I guess that's all well. Have a nice day off!
    Thanks!

I feel a little bit guilty about it, but I did some work before and I can afford it.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

My Norman-aristocracy-descended friend's family has a Royal Proclamation from Edward III or a similar medieval monarch allowing him to carry a sword and herd sheep through the City of London. I wish he'd use it - I would, if I were him!
    Not as good as my Norman aristocratic family - there's regicide in my one. I'm a descendant of a chap called Walter Tirel III, who killed King William II "accidentally".

----

Spoiler
    Show

and what

28. - Top - End - #328
    Barbarian in the Playground

Weeeell, in fairness to your ancestor, I've read histories which have pointed out that those kinds of hunting accidents did actually happen a lot and no one at the time seemed to think it was suspicious, so maybe he was honest. Plus, by all accounts William Rufus was a **** king so maybe it was for the best.

I'm impressed by all you folks with Norman descent, or rather by the fact you know this. I can trace my family back all of about three generations and it's just full of working class criminals.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

I want more coffee. But the coffee is upstairs. And I am downstairs away from all the boys.

How badly do I want more coffee?

EDIT: I suppose it's moot now, since one of them followed me downtsairs and keeps asking questions. *sigh* May as well go get more coffee...

EDIT again: Andre read my mind and brought me more coffee!!!
    Last edited by EmeraldRose; 2010-09-06 at 09:24 AM.
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

30. - Top - End - #330

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
    I'm impressed by all you folks with Norman descent, or rather by the fact you know this. I can trace my family back all of about three generations and it's just full of working class criminals.
    Me, I just wonder whether Norman-descended types have any feelings at all about being called WASPs. I know being predominately Scottish in genetic provenance I always feel it's a bit odd that this term has come to seemingly mean "white people" in the U.S. as I've known almost no one of English descent.

About as far back as I can trace my lineage is to some guy who migrated to the U.S. from Scotland just in time to take up arms in the Revolution. That, and I know that my father's father's father's family got disowned after the Civil War for reasons that they were never quite able to ascertain.

Most of my ancestry that I know about was over here from pretty much the beginning of the U.S. if not colonization, so occasionally I'm jealous of those who are recently enough immigrated to have some knowledge of what the people who came overseas were like.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-09-06 at 09:48 AM.
    Homebrew