New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Iust remembered, there's still one episode of Red Dwarf I've never actually seen. Must do something about that...
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #752
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    The third was really good. The best of the series.
    OK. Good. You have been redeemed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #753

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    I suppose that would take a certain kind of skill. I've got no idea what for though.
    Boring people to death.
    Say what you will about Dan Brown, or fanfiction in general, but at least thing happen in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Malfunctioned View Post
    I'm impressed Koorly. This caused me to rewatch the video on youtube. I am now one amused Malfunctioned.
    That song was released as a single in 1995. It made it into the top ten. Danny Iohn Iules is a good singer.
    An we must never forget nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Iust remembered, there's still one episode of Red Dwarf I've never actually seen. Must do something about that...
    If it's in the seventh or eigth series and isn't Blue or the very last one in the series don't really bother. And we all know what happened in those two.

Oh, another fun song
    He's Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
    More reliable than a garnde strimmer
    He's not bald and his head doesn't glimmer

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    OK. Good. You have been redeemed.
    The Dementors were great, but terribly underexplored. So much more could have been done with them.
    Rowling should have wrote in the fantasy-horror genre. Potter would have been much, much better if she had.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Dementors were great, but terribly underexplored. So much more could have been done with them.
    Rowling should have wrote in the fantasy-horror genre. Potter would have been much, much better if she had.
    Then it wouldn't have been good for the little kids.

5. - Top - End - #755

Boring people to death.
    Say what you will about Dan Brown, or fanfiction in general, but at least thing happen in them.
    "But doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing."

That song was released as a single in 1995. It made it into the top ten. Danny Iohn Iules is a good singer.
    He can also rap amusingly about mud. And pancakes (Also other things, but those are the two I particularly remember).

If it's in the seventh or eigth series and isn't Blue or the very last one in the series don't really bother. And we all know what happened in those two.
    Nope, Psirens. Last two series we got all of because I was already aware of Red Dwarf when they were broadcast for the first time and I made sure we recorded them.
    And they still had their moments. In my opinion it didn't really go downhill until Rimmer left.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

6. - Top - End - #756
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I dunno, Goosebumps was around earlier...

Danny John Jules? Rapping about mud and pancakes? How have I not heard of this before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I dunno, Goosebumps was around earlier...
    Goosebumps wasn't good for kids either.

8. - Top - End - #758

Danny John Jules? Rapping about mud and pancakes? How have I not heard of this before?
    Mud.

It's pancake day, yes it's pancake day, yes it's p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-pancake day!
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

9. - Top - End - #759

*snort*
    You ever read a kiddie's fairy tale? I mean the proper ones, not the Disney version, but the proper one.
    Children thrive on horror and darkness.

And the Dementor would be a wonderful fairy tale villain.

A fairy tale was originally a cautionary tale to keep the children out of the danerous places and to teach them to respect those of faerie kind, or were similarly other.
    And thus the Dementor is a perfect focus for a fairy story, or fairy tale like horror novel.

"But doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing."

. . .

Nope, Psirens. Last two series we got all of because I was already aware of Red Dwarf when they were broadcast for the first time and I made sure we recorded them.
    And they still had their moments. In my opinion it didn't really go downhill until Rimmer left.
    Psirens isn't all that bad. It's enioyable, not as good as Polymorph, or the vast maiority of series two through five, but good.
    And yes, the quality of Dwarf went way down when they lost a quarter of their main cast. So much chemistry lost.

WAIT.
    WAIT.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    That's Danny Ioh Iules too?!
    Awesome.
    I loved this show (what little I saw of it) when I was a mere sprogling.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*snort*
    You ever read a kiddie's fairy tale? I mean the proper ones, not the Disney version, but the proper one.

A fairy tale was originally a cautionary tale to keep the children out of the danerous places and to teach them to respect those of faerie kind, or were similarly other.
    And thus the Dementor is a perfect focus for a fairy story, or fairy tale like horror novel.
    Good point. The Brothers Grimm aren't happy are they? Anyway, HP isn't meant to be a Fairy Tale. Saying that, I'm not sure what it's suppose to be. People of all ages enjoy HP. 8 year olds, 18 year olds, 50 year olds, 95 year olds, and I know this from expirience.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-12 at 08:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761

*snort*

Be kind of an uplifting one too. Since Dementors are basically defeated by positive thinking and cheerfulness.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure any more. It doesn't seem dark and melancholy enough to be a fairy tale.
    Oh, unless the protagonist's best friend gets their soul sucked out! That'd make it sad. And then s/he can defeat the dementor using the memories of said friend. This is all coming together. That probably teaches some other important message too. Something about how someone's mind/soul is the real them rather than the body.

WAIT.
    WAIT.
    Wait.
    Wait.
    That's Danny Iohn Iules too?!
    Awesome.
    I loved this show (what little I saw of it) when I was a mere sprogling.
    Yep. My dad has all four series on DVD.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goosebumps wasn't good for kids either.
    Fixed that for you.
    Be kind of an uplifting one too. Since Dementors are basically defeated by positive thinking and cheerfulness.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure any more. It doesn't seem dark and melancholy enough to be a fairy tale.
    Oh, unless the protagonist's best friend gets their soul sucked out! That'd make it sad. And then s/he can defeat the dementor using the memories of said friend. This is all coming together. That probably teaches some other important message too. Something about how someone's mind/soul is the real them rather than the body.
    Come on now, not all of the old faerie tales are icky-bad-despair-a-thons. There was more gore/melancholia, sure, but it wasn't intentionally depressing. The only one I can think of that ends bad for everyone is Red Riding Hood (unless the wolf counts ).

Regardless, I think you've got the material for a short story coming together. I'm not sure 'stay cheerful, even when circumstances aren't' is what you're looking for for a message, but 'think positive' works. They'd have to have some way to get around the dementors' happiness sucking.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    I agree with that statement too.

14. - Top - End - #764

Just had band practice with a new drummer, who is really really really good, did that for 3 hours, then went to my place, dropped off equipment, ate a delicious burger, then ran to a local concert by a local band, who rocked my socks off. Really tired now, after 7 hours of almost non-stop standing and jumping and running and stuff.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Just had band practice with a new drummer, who is really really really good, did that for 3 hours, then went to my place, dropped off equipment, ate a delicious burger, then ran to a local concert by a local band, who rocked my socks off. Really tired now, after 7 hours of almost non-stop standing and jumping and running and stuff.
    It must say something about me that my first thoughts are whether the socks have survived their rocking.

Also, hi Friendly Banter! How goes this title change nonsense?
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

16. - Top - End - #766

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    It must say something about me that my first thoughts are whether the socks have survived their rocking.

Also, hi Friendly Banter! How goes this title change nonsense?
    Slowly, I think.

Also, it probably says something about me that I've never considered whether socks being rocked was a fatal thing for socks or not.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

Q: When not in use, are the objects commonly known as "socks" still classified as such?

A: Yes.

Ergo, sock-rocking is non-fatal to socks. True science fact. Yay!

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that, while it may not be fatal, it's not very good for them, either. At least, not before they're off.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

19. - Top - End - #769
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneak View Post
    Q: When not in use, are the objects commonly known as "socks" still classified as such?

A: Yes.

Ergo, sock-rocking is non-fatal to socks. True science fact. Yay!
    However, once they have more holes than cloth are they still socks? My socks are not known for their longevity.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

It depends on the rocking. The following applicable rockings are healthy for socks:

-The Kasbah
    -Your World
    -And a'Rolling

The following are not:

-Literal stonings
    -Avalanches
    -Geodudes

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

When I saw you for the first time
    (First time)
    My knees began to quiver
    (Quiver)
    And I got a funny feeling
    (Feeling)
    In my kidneys and my liver
    (Digestive system baby)

My hands they started shaking
    (shaking)
    My heart began a-thumping
    (Boom boom boom)
    My breakfast left my body
    (Huey huey huey)
    It all really tells me something

Girl you make me tongue-tied
    (tongue-tied)
    Tongue-tied, whenever you are near me
    (Near me)
    Tied tongue
    (Tied tongue)
    Tied tongue
    (Tied tongue)
    Whenever you're in town
    etc.
    I'm begging on my knees
    sweet, sweet darlin' listen please
    understand me when i saaaayyyyyyyy.....

oh and "Danny Ion Iules" just made me LOL
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

When I was a small cub, there was a programme on TV called Mosquito. It was mostly directed towards teenagers, and it was most based on pop culture and the ridicule of both it and "high" culture. And it had 3D animations which were totally awesome, and the only reason that I was viewing it in the first place.

Hell, I rewatched some banded tapes with it a while ago, and, apart from all the "bollywoodesque music video delux"s and totally over-the-top ads they showed suddenly being funny now, I found out that the animations still held up to some standard today. Sure, not top standard, but they weren't disappointing, which means that my nostalgic cubhood memories still holds.

Now, the thing is that the same presenter of the programme is going to make another programme based on the same theme, starting next Wednesday. Is Teddy cheering? Yes, Teddy is cheering. This can't be anything but awesome.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, I think I remember Mosquito as well.
    From what I remember, I never really liked it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

24. - Top - End - #774

NecromancerGuy

So, I'm finding that nagging causes me to feel the urge to be the opposite of helpful.

Is this common?

If so, why do people nag when they could just be direct?
    Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm finding that nagging causes me to feel the urge to be the opposite of helpful.
    Me, too.

Is this common?
    Very.

Not sure why that's a distinction. Nagging can be direct or indirect. I find it even more annoying when it's direct.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

26. - Top - End - #776
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Is this common?

I'm guessing because they think you'll forget to do whatever they're nagging you to do if they don't. I find it irritating, but there's no helping it.

People.

27. - Top - End - #777

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Not sure why that's a distinction. Nagging can be direct or indirect. I find it even more annoying when it's direct.
    Well, there's being asked to do something and then there's one's mother trying, badly, to imitate bird song.

Or, there's being asked to do something and doing it and then there's being asked to do something and getting interrupted in the middle of doing it with 5 other conflicting requests that are so urgent they have to interrupt the task you were already doing. And then it just continues from there exponentially.
    Homebrew

28. - Top - End - #778
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, there's being asked to do something and then there's one's mother trying, badly, to imitate bird song.

Or, there's being asked to do something and doing it and then there's being asked to do something and getting interrupted in the middle of doing it with 5 other conflicting requests that are so urgent they have to interrupt the task you were already doing. And then it just continues from there exponentially.
    Have you been spying on me?

I can't count the number of times I've been told to do something (having to drop whatever I was doing) to go do something, and have the person change their mind and have me do something else, up to 4 or 5 times in a row.

29. - Top - End - #779

The things a bright student will do . . .

Little Sister is smart. We all are.
    However, Little Sister believe that, because she is smart, she doesn't have to do any homework, or put effort into her work.
    She has been at school for two weeks as a Y10.
    In those two weeks she has had nine pieces of homework, six of those were set last week.
    Today she had four pieces of homework not yet done. Last week she had only done one piece on time.

And now she has two ASDs (after-school detentions). Except because Mum doesn't let us do ASDs for safety reasons during winter times, each ASD is broken down in one week's worth of lunchtime detentions.
    As much as I love Little Sister, she's an idiot.

And yet the worst part is that I know why she thought she could get away with it.
    It's my fault.
    I always did my homework either at school, or very quickly when I got home so I could be lazy in an efficient manner. And I got very good grades.
    But because it didn't look like I did homework, I think Little Sister thought she could actually not do her homework.

So now I'm called in (because now it really matters as she's doing her GCSEs and we need to break her bad habits) to tell her what she should already know.
    Personally, I think it's a good idea to take away the laptop the school gave her and break her back down to Doing Homework on the Table with Mum.
    Something Little Brother hasn't done since he had trouble with a piece of science coursework in Y10, and something I've never had to do.

I mean, two weeks?!
    That's poor. Really.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

I hate writing contests. I have no talent at short stories.

It's one thing to lose; it's another to lose when another entry deals with the same subject matter that you chose, but that writer got second place and you failed to even get an honourable mention.

God, I suck.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-09-13 at 01:40 PM.