New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Banned

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    H...How did Pokemon make you better at English?
    Pokemon Emerald sort of taught me braille. Although I kinda forgot it since you only use it once in the game.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Oldest man in the world (an American. lol wut?) turned 114 today. Link. My grandpa only made it to 97. *sigh* Oh well.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-21 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    In other words, Pokemon made me learn to read/made reading fun.
    Reading IS fun. Pokemon has no effect on this either way.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    It taught me that. It also did a damn fine job of teaching me how to read too.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-09-21 at 07:47 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Troll in the Playground

So are you saying that...

>It's not very effective?

But seriously, while I respect that Pokemon has made you appreciate reading, I am a bit perplexed myself. It doesn't seem like the most likely candidate for encouraging someone to learn how to read.

Could you maybe enlighten us on how this happened?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    So are you saying that...

>It's not very effective?

But seriously, while I respect that Pokemon has made you appreciate reading, I am a bit perplexed myself. It doesn't seem like the most likely candidate for encouraging someone to learn how to read.

Could you maybe enlighten us on how this happened?
    I was in 2nd Grade. I abored reading. I liked to be read to however. The Pokemon TV show was cool (... WAS). My parents said I could have Pokemon Crystal. I couldn't get anywhere without reading. I got better at reading by playing the game. Playing Pokemon requires a lot of reading (if you're any good IMO). Playing Pokemon (and thus reading) is fun.

Of course then I went on to Harry Potter and other stuff, but Pokemon got me started.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    I'm going to Sussex uni on Saturday.
    I HAVE NOWHERE TO LIVE
    My Maths-at-Sussex friend doesn't have any accommodation for when he moves in either, so he's staying at a youth hostel for a while, in a room with 11 other people. In his words, "should be interesting".
    I'm going to Exeter on Friday. I've hardly packed a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The prince next in line for the throne (heir apparent) can be called "crown prince". Similarly, the wife of a crown prince or a princess who is heir apparent in her own right would be called crown princess.
    Not necessarily. Whether the title 'crown prince' is used depends on the monarchy. Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales, not the Crown Prince.

ION: Stephen Fry!
    Well, he was predictably fantastic. He really is an excellent speaker, especially given that he did it largely off-the-cuff, and he amused me immensely, talking about sugar puffs, public school, Cambridge, Hugh Laurie, Blackadder, Ben Elton, Gentleman's Clubs, Oscar Wilde and much else besides. An especially brilliant part was him giving the audience a reading of this, but with added bits in that must've been cut from that Footlights Revue due to time constraints.
    Shame about my journeys there and back, then.
    Bah. It was well worth the trip.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fifty-Eyed Fred View Post
    I thought you were talking about Futurama

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought you were talking about Futurama
    phillip j stephen fry
    Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Damn you, Avocado. i'll never be able to look at a duck again without thinking that they're trying to disguise themselves as dogs.
    Spoiler
    Show

bindrune by Icewalker

banner by araveugnitsuga

10. - Top - End - #1300

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    The prince next in line for the throne (heir apparent) can be called "crown prince".
    Really? And I though that would be a too literal translation from German/Dutch/Afrikaans. Those Germanic languages, they think they are different but underneath they're all the same blueish colour.
    Well if he's sick in the next few days it was a present from me

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    "Leave my Rakkoon alone!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    What shall I say to thee, rakkoon, thou cruel,
    Ingrateful, savage and inhuman creature,
    That knewst the very bottom of my soul,
    That almost mightst have coined me into gold
    Wouldst thou have practiced on me for thy use?
    Supa Songs about me

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the banner and Rowsen for the avvie!

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Not necessarily. Whether the title 'crown prince' is used depends on the monarchy. Prince Charles is the Prince of Wales, not the Crown Prince.
    I'm not talking about the actual title of the person in that position, but the generic term used to refer to anyone in that position in a monarchy. You'll note that I used lowercase.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

12. - Top - End - #1302

Well, he was predictably fantastic. He really is an excellent speaker, especially given that he did it largely off-the-cuff, and he amused me immensely, talking about sugar puffs, public school, Cambridge, Hugh Laurie, Blackadder, Ben Elton, Gentleman's Clubs, Oscar Wilde and much else besides. An especially brilliant part was him giving the audience a reading of this, but with added bits in that must've been cut from that Footlights Revue due to time constraints.
    Envy. And that monologue is hilarious.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

You know, adults are always talking crap about kids shows, because they're violent and pointless. But you know what? Yu-gi-oh taught me how to add and subtract better then any math teacher ever did, and because of Pokemon, English is my best subject.

Don't know why I posted this, but I felt the need to post it.
    People learn best when they're having fun.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

14. - Top - End - #1304

My Maths-at-Sussex friend doesn't have any accommodation for when he moves in either, so he's staying at a youth hostel for a while, in a room with 11 other people. In his words, "should be interesting".
    I'm going to Exeter on Friday. I've hardly packed a thing.
    Thought you were going to be at the Cornwall campus? Or you matriculating up there and then moving down?
    Meh.
    It's not hard packing, it takes me about two or three hours. Then again, I have a lot of stuff that I don't actually bother unpacking.
    Which reminds me: got to go food shopping for uni soon. And pack.

So much envy.
    That monologue is slightly distracting because of the name "Melchett". But 'tis funny. Glad you had such a good time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    ...I have a lot of stuff that I don't actually bother unpacking.
    Which reminds me: got to go food shopping...
    I recommend non-perishables.
    "'Intelligence' is really prolific in the world. So is stupidity. So often they occur in the same people." - Phaedra
    Pyrian's LiveJournal

16. - Top - End - #1306

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    That's basically a rule of being a student, isn't it?
    Well, of being a student living away from home, anyway.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Don't worry, so do I. Mostly noodles, cup-a-soups, cheap and easy things like that.
    Besides, I have a kitchen in my house now!
    ^.^
    I'm going to be living in there, especially when I feel like baking. Or porridge. Or good food. Or want to attempt making food I've never done before.
    Or help friends make food.
    Or simply hang out in the kitchen at half one in the morning munching down on goodies.
    If all goes well I won't be buying a single meal from Hall. Not that it's not delicious, but it can be expensive, and thanks to Dad's work I know how many meals can be frozen with little consequence.

Spoiler
    Show
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

18. - Top - End - #1308

Or simply hang out in the kitchen at half one in the morning munching down on goodies.
    Good times, good times. Some of the best conversations I had with Baking Housemate took place in the kitchen at about half one in the morning.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

That's basically a rule of being a student, isn't it?
    Well, of being a student living away from home, anyway.
    If I recall, most of my student meals were either from the dining hall, non-perishable, or else very, very greasy.

So yeah, non-perishable food, with low grease if possible, is suggested.

Don't worry, so do I. Mostly noodles, cup-a-soups, cheap and easy things like that.
    Besides, I have a kitchen in my house now!
    ^.^
    I'm going to be living in there, especially when I feel like baking. Or porridge. Or good food. Or want to attempt making food I've never done before.
    Or help friends make food.
    If all goes well I won't be buying a single meal from Hall. Not that it's not delicious, but it can be expensive, and thanks to Dad's work I know how many meals can be frozen with little consequence.
    Aah, if only I had had a kitchen more easily available when I was on campus, I might've learned to cook. Granted we DID have a kitchen, but it was a very small one, shared by the entire quad, and we had to get special permission and a key to go in there and cook.

Not that I blame them. <.<; Some of the students would probably have made home explosives if they had access to a kitchen at all times.

Anyway, good luck with your own cooking experience, Koorly!

ION: Our leaves are starting to cover the ground. Come mid-October, it will be time for me to earn my keep around here.

*puts on serious face*

Leaves, you shall be RAKED. Yes, it is a little sad that this is the exciting highlight of my life. D:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Curse your Introbulosity!

20. - Top - End - #1310

Thought you were going to be at the Cornwall campus? Or you matriculating up there and then moving down?
    Meh.
    Yes indeedy. Exeter the Uni, not Exeter the city.

It's not hard packing, it takes me about two or three hours. Then again, I have a lot of stuff that I don't actually bother unpacking.
    Which reminds me: got to go food shopping for uni soon. And pack.
    I've got more things to do than just pack, though. Tomorrow will be a very busy day for me...

So much envy.
    That monologue is slightly distracting because of the name "Melchett". But 'tis funny. Glad you had such a good time.
    Actually, in the full version the case was "The London Rubber Company vs. the Vatican".
    There were added puns about him stooping "to pick a buttercup... why people leave buttocks lying around I have no idea" and "I janned up with... jonned up with... joined up with Travolta - sorry, I can't read joined up -" amongst others.

Good times, good times. Some of the best conversations I had with Baking Housemate took place in the kitchen at about half one in the morning.
    It's things like this that make me look forward to Uni.
    Last edited by Fifty-Eyed Fred; 2010-09-22 at 01:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    If I recall, most of my student meals were either from the dining hall, non-perishable, or else very, very greasy.

So yeah, non-perishable food, with low grease if possible, is suggested.
    Personally, I actually eat plenty of "good", health types of food. My main problem is eating meals at regular times. I have breakfast at 7:30, classes from 9:30 to 1:30, and then lunch at 2:00. As a result I get hungry before lunch then have a late supper. Its all very mixed up. And that's just on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2010-09-22 at 02:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1312

Quote Originally Posted by RPGsr4me View Post
    Personally, I actually eat plenty of "good", health types of food. My main problem is eating meals at regular times. I have breakfast at 7:30, classes from 9:30 to 1:30, and then lunch at 2:00. As a result I get hungry before lunch then have a late supper. Its all very mixed up. And that's just on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
    Actually, me too. I think I ate a more healthy amount of vegetables, if nothing else, while in a student house, because they were cheaper than meat.

And very much with the strange mealtimes, because I pretty much iust ate when I was hungry. Also I sometimes ate my meals in the wrong order.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, me too. I think I ate a more healthy amount of vegetables, if nothing else, while in a student house, because they were cheaper than meat.

And very much with the strange mealtimes, because I pretty much iust ate when I was hungry. Also I sometimes ate my meals in the wrong order.
    One thing you learn while in university. Cereal is good for any meal.

24. - Top - End - #1314

I disagree. Cereal is either breakfast or a snack.
    Even if I eat it at midnight, if I haven't had cereal or toast or a full English breakfast since getting up, it is breakfast.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

See, Cereal is a snack you can have before, during, or after a meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

26. - Top - End - #1316

My meals are very irregular. It turns out that I eat breakfast as the last meal of the day before I go to bed. This is because recently I've been having toast as a midnight snack at about three o'clock in the morning, and toast is breakfast.

Lunch is eaten at lunchtime, elevenses at the correct time, and most days I even have high tea - completely by accident. Naturally dinner is at dinner time.

Spoiler
    Show

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

27. - Top - End - #1317

My meals are very irregular. It turns out that I eat breakfast as the last meal of the day before I go to bed.
    I did that maybe twice while I was living in Fenham.

This is because recently I've been having toast as a midnight snack at about three o'clock in the morning, and toast is breakfast.
    However cheese on toast can be dinner or a snack.

Lunch is eaten at lunchtime,
    Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright Random Banter, I'm off the internet for four days or so. I'll be back Saturday night.

I invite you all to join me at that time for a showing of SHARKTOPUS, which will air at 9:00 EST on Saturday night here. Be there or be eaten by a Shark AND an Octopus.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey! I'm totally staying at a hostel for Sussex because I also have nowhere to live! Woooooo!

Luckily I can store some of the stuff I won't need at the hostel at a nearby family freind's house.

Also, I got a random abusive facebook message from someone. The hell? I don't even know her!
    Everything I say is 100% TRUTH*
    *may contain traces of lie

Loki avatar by Dr.Bath.
    (I totally ship him and Curly. But shhh, it's a secret.)
    Formerly known as Aziraphale.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    Also, I got a random abusive facebook message from someone. The hell? I don't even know her!
    That sounds unpleasant.