New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

And, finished.
    Should probably get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    A Tiffany book tends to have Feegles in it, so no.
    Ach, crivens, ye hae me bang tae rights there. Ah see ye have the kennin ae the readin.

So they didn't get the Vetinari of TCoM? I do think it;d be a fairly big style problem if Reacher Gilt wasn't florid and over the top though. I have the DVD somewhere in the house, it too shall be watched.
    Alas no. Gilt looks more towards the disreputable brigand end of pirate than the charming and florid, though from the little I watched it seemed better than I expected from the trailer.

Pretty much yeah.
    It doesn't hug anything like as well though.

EDIT OF ANGER!:
    Someone sent me an email and put spoilers of I Shall Wear Midnight in it.
    Luckily I only read a very, very, very small one.
    There's some dude called The Cunning Man.
    Sadly, this whatever it is, is now called Baldrick of the Cunning Plan.
    How badly has that ruined the book?
    Probably a bit considering I think Baldrick of the Cunning Plan is meant to be a villain.
    The person who sent me that email is going to face my wrath. And it is righteous.
    Well, to be fair, it's been out 52 hours. It's not entirely unreasonable for someone to assume you'd already read it.
    But, yeah. Wrath. Actually there's a line from the book which would be rather appropriate here, but obviously I don't want to spoil anything and anyway I can't remember the wording.

Quote Originally Posted by Introbulus View Post
    Hmm...I seem to be replying to Koorly a lot. Then again, she always has something interesting to say. I might as well hit the "add quote" button every time I see her post, and read what she wrote afterward.
    I'm am invariably surprised on the rare occasions I pass over one of Curly's posts in my quotestorms. It's probably a more frequent occurrence for me to have a quotestorm post responding to no-one but Curly.

I blame Pyrian and myself. He said it was easy to do, and umm, I've effectively had part or the entirety of Mulan's soundtrack stuck in my head since I saw the original trailers back when it was first released.
    And the line 'How could I make a man out of you?' iust stuck out.
    I hated myseld the instant I thought it, so I had to spread the misery.
    The innuendo is pretty easy to find in that one.

ION:
    That Slender Man thread got me reading through TVTropes about the mythos again and the various blogs and whatnot.
    How odd is it that I'm actually contemplating a blog with serious analysis of the Slender Man and why he became so popular so quickly.
    As a bonus, if I ever got bored iust analysing the symbolism, possible 'real life' precendents and whatnot behind an internet meme I could always get a friend with a long blogging history in on the ioke.
    Start mentioning how my friend wants to play a ioke on his friend (with a sporadic blog of about sixteen to twenty months) and so he starts using my blog analysis as a base to make his friend (now called Bob) freak out.
    The ebst way to do it would be to show Bob marble Hornets about five or six months before starting the prank. Get him to make a post about it - note: he has to be quite sceptical - and dismiss it entirely, but enioy the scares.
    Then My Friend would start his kicks. ANd he'd be posting comments on my blog; and I'd be referencing his actions; he himself wouldn't actually mention it on his blog for obvious reasons.
    Then Bob would slowly become convinced that The Slender Man was real, and become edgy, paranoid and a little . . . off; before having him finally attack 'The Slender Man' in terror.
    My analysis blog would then - say a week after the 'event' - comment on what happened.
    "This is what happens when people take internet memes too seriously." or something. Of course, I would then spend the entire post begging people not to do this etc. because effectively stalking someone is a BAD IDEA especially as it lead to having My Friend be seriously iniured and scarred for life.
    I would then resume my analysis blog, but very shaikly and irregularly for a couple of months.
    Then resume as normal.

Yeah. Never let me near a meme which got out of control and has substance behind it.
    Still.
    It's a damn cool idea. Plus I believe it goes against typical Slender Man stuff where he actually exists. So Bob's blog would seem to be a typical Slender Man blog, until it gets out of hand.
    Deconstructing memes about humanoid eldritch abominations - even in theory - is fun.
    You are an evil evil person and I love you.

Yeah, want to be up relatively early tomorrow today. Sleep probably a good idea. Iust not too much.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

I learned irregarless isn't a word today while in English class. My dreams of being irregardless have been ruined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    I learned irregarless isn't a word today while in English class. My dreams of being irregardless have been ruined.
    It is a word. Common usage has made it a word. Don't try to use it in any form of formal writing or speech though, and I wouldn't suggest you or anyone actually does use it as it does demonstrate to people a certain level of ignorance, but it is still a word.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It is a word. Common usage has made it a word. Don't try to use it in any form of formal writing or speech though, and I wouldn't suggest you or anyone actually does use it as it does demonstrate to people a certain level of ignorance, but it is still a word.
    It demonstrates to certain people a level of ignorance. Over 90% of people you meet couldn't care less, I'd wager.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

DD had a cute accent. Very good command of the language as well, I blame the television.
    Thenks. And I blame you.
    Remember how terrible my english was when I first came to the forums?

But seriously, I've learned more english from you and the forums then I ever did from elementary, high school and college* put toghetter.

*Language department at my college sucks.
    Finally after much bitching they let me take the test. Apparently my command of english, except grammar**, is at Uni level....o.0
    **Which is just below uni level
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

@^: Wait..your native language isn't English? You are INCREDIBLY good at it as a second language then! :3 I'm curious now though...where does DD come from, and what is his actual native tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: Rule number 2 of FB is that this isn't FFRP, so please avoid ongoing roleplay here.
    Eeep.

Yes Mister Modman. Sorry. <.<;

-------------------------------------------------

Last night was a weird night for sleep. I was exhausted by 9 PM, and figured it was allergy-related, so I took my last pill secure in the knowledge that it would make me sleepy and I wouldn't have to worry about staying up very much afterward.

I was utterly wrong. I could not get comfortable or get to sleep at all, and wound up staying awake far longer than I intended.

I really need to start getting more sleep too. D: School starts again soon, and I need the money from my Sub job to finance my independence.

Of course, I also still need to get a license to drive...<.<; Which I don't even want to anyway. Damn you, society!

Been trying to help my GF with her English assignment. I have determined that being a teacher for someone you cannot be harsh on is entirely ineffective and not terribly fun at all. She's a decent writer when it comes to poetry and dialogue, but she doesn't get formal writing at all, and trying to make her understand it has been an exercise in futility.

Last day of warm weather = Cook Out Today! Looks like it's going to be beautiful for it too.
    Last edited by Trobby; 2010-09-04 at 09:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    usage
    Excuse me while I throw up.

Does no-one else feel a level of hatred towards that word the likes of which has been seen maybe once? Use was ALREADY A NOUN. THERE WAS NO NEED TO MAKE A NOUN OUT OF IT, MUCH LESS A REALLY UGLY ONE.

Of course, now the fact their meanings have diverged means that we can't just boycott it because then we're the elitists who refuse to accept change. And no-one likes the elitists who refuse to accept change.

Stupid usage.
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-09-04 at 09:58 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

@^: Wait..your native language isn't English? You are INCREDIBLY good at it as a second language then! :3 I'm curious now though...where does DD come from, and what is his actual native tongue?
    He's From Germany...
    Meep Meep

*runs*
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    He's From Germany...
    Meep Meep

*runs*
    I'm pretty sure he's actually from the Netherlands. Dutch-land, not Deutchland.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2010-09-04 at 09:58 AM.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Yes, but it was at the UK meet-up where we kept saying to DD that Germany is basically the same as the Netherlands and that the languages are indistinguishable. Then I yielded and started saying it was Dutch-land. I think that's why Archie was running away.
    Sorry DD, we love you really.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

I've been to Germany, actually.

...When I was ten years old. <.<; So I would not even know of the existence of DD. And I would be an adorable, shy little boy holding on tightly to my mother's hand to avoid getting washed away in foreign lands.

It occurs to me that my ideal life right now is to be that English teacher who drives into work on a motorcycle and blows the minds of all the students in class by being incredibly clever while riding an incredibly dangerous machine.

I don't even want a motorcycle for the thrill of it, either. I just think I would have an easier time riding it because it is a smaller vehicle to try to maneuver. Even with two less wheels, I feel like I'd be much more comfortable on a motorcycle.

Oh by the way. I have Skype now. My username should be easy to guess. *Hint: It is zero percent different than my GitP user name. ;p*
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222

And I would be an adorable, shy little boy holding on tightly to my mother's hand to avoid getting washed away in foreign lands.
    I am imagining this and I think I'm having a cutegasm.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

13. - Top - End - #223
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Man, the closest I ever got to going to another country as a young'un was visiting Texas when I was a babby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #224

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post

Does no-one else feel a level of hatred towards that word the likes of which has been seen maybe once? Use was ALREADY A NOUN. THERE WAS NO NEED TO MAKE A NOUN OUT OF IT, MUCH LESS A REALLY UGLY ONE.

Of course, now the fact their meanings have diverged means that we can't just boycott it because then we're the elitists who refuse to accept change. And no-one likes the elitists who refuse to accept change.

Stupid usage.
    I do! I do!

Though by now we should all know that occasionally I go on the murderous grammar rampages and attempt to kill all the ignorant people. First it was prepositions, then the difference between "less" and "fewer" (an article in our local paper used the phrase "less children", and I ended up throwing it across the room and then going on a rant about it to my little brothers), and now it's a variety of things. Though my rampages never seem to work.

I also tend to lump "utilise" along in with "usage". Both of them are pretty pointless. And I know this is horribly elitist of me, but it often feels like people use them just to sound smarter, because they have more syllables.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ughh...

First football game of the season last night. We won in the last minute. The band was amazing, but we had to do a lot of cheering since the flippin' school moved us from our usual spot by the student section to some godforsaken part of the bleachers. Now I can't talk, but it was worth it. Lots of fun. I love my band.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

I am imagining this and I think I'm having a cutegasm.
    Now try to imagine little baby Trobby, a round little tyke with the happiest smile you've ever seen! And a dimple right on his left cheek.

I was made to be cute.

Quote Originally Posted by cycoris View Post
    I do! I do!

Though by now we should all know that occasionally I go on the murderous grammar rampages and attempt to kill all the ignorant people. First it was prepositions, then the difference between "less" and "fewer" (an article in our local paper used the phrase "less children", and I ended up throwing it across the room and then going on a rant about it to my little brothers), and now it's a variety of things. Though my rampages never seem to work.

I also tend to lump "utilise" along in with "usage". Both of them are pretty pointless. And I know this is horribly elitist of me, but it often feels like people use them just to sound smarter, because they have more syllables.
    How do you feel about the word "irregardless"?
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a Bushism - a mashing of "irrespective" and "regardless". Do people actually use it?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, yes they do. I don't see it often, but I do see it.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Couldn't you just use regardless and save yourself some time?
    Last edited by PJ the Epic; 2010-09-04 at 11:18 AM.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were big things.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Since when was Rawhide "Candeljack in the Administrator"?

ION: Littlest brother has bought Halo 3 ODST, and now he's playing it together with little brother. I'm trying to avoid picking up the story as much as possible so that I can play it unspoiled later.

IOON: I am bored. I wished I had more crosswords to solve while eating from my bag of pure sugary goody sweets...

Well, well, at least I've got my sweets left.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PJ the Epic View Post
    Couldn't you just use regarless and save yourself some time?
    Yes. You can. <.<; This is the major flaw with this word. It is useless, AND the word that it is synonymous with is in the word itself.

It doesn't show up much though, so it's not my greatest pet peeve. That would belong to the improper use of "there, they're, and their".
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes. You can. <.<; This is the major flaw with this word. It is useless, AND the word that it is synonymous with is in the word itself.

It doesn't show up much though, so it's not my greatest pet peeve. That would belong to the improper use of "there, they're, and their".
    Mine is "its and it's". I really don't know why it bothers me some much, it just does.
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, it should be antonymous to "regardless", which just make things even crazier.

Ahh, that one really grinds my ears eyes.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh. Our food service at my university puts little advertisement slips on tables (in the plastic stand-up things you find at restaurants), which campus organizations use to advertise events. At the beginning of semester all they have is slips that read

"You're advertisement here!"

[sic]

So someone wrote and put as an advertisement in one of them,

"Sign up for grammar and punctuation lessons from [dining hall]!"

Sarcastically. Of course.

25. - Top - End - #235

Oh gods, burn them all!

That's just...not even... *brain breaks*

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Heh. Our food service at my university puts little advertisement slips on tables (in the plastic stand-up things you find at restaurants), which campus organizations use to advertise events. At the beginning of semester all they have is slips that read

"You're advertisement here!"

[sic]

So someone wrote and put as an advertisement in one of them,

"Sign up for grammar and punctuation lessons from [dining hall]!"

Sarcastically. Of course.
    Really? That seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't happen at your college.

I somehow feel hugely let down by this.

ETA: Another pet peeve of mine is when people use "good" instead of "well". As in "How are you?" "I'm good." What if I don't define "good" the same way you do? Huh? HUH?
    Last edited by cycoris; 2010-09-04 at 11:36 AM.
    My preferred pronouns: they, them, their

When I speak I'll cross my fingers
    Will you know you've been deceived?
    I find the need to be a demon
    A demon cannot be hurt

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    He's From Germany...
    Meep Meep

*runs*
    *Archie runs right into Smellie's Stabbity Death*
    That'l teach you, you wabbit!
    Nope, thenks! See
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Correct. A hint may have been all the Dutch meet-ups I've organised/hosted/attended.

Though I have attended one UK meet-up and am planning to attend Trogland-based ones somewhere in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    Yes, but it was at the UK meet-up where we kept saying to DD that Germany is basically the same as the Netherlands and that the languages are indistinguishable. Then I yielded and started saying it was Dutch-land. I think that's why Archie was running away.
    Sorry DD, we love you really.
    RAAAARGH *is distracted by neutral Koorly with cookies*
    Nomnom...You better love me!
    But yeah, Dutch and German are NOT the same, nor are their languages indistinguishable!
    I was made to be cute.
    Well since my english accent now also has been declared cute, I think pretty much everything you'l see about me in the first day of meeting me is cute.
    Except that I'm a crazy weirdo.

I think the world might explode of cuteness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Since when was Rawhide "Candeljack in the Administrator"?
    A couple of weeks ago, about when the old moderators retired and the new mode
    Last edited by Dallas-Dakota; 2010-09-04 at 12:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Really? That seems like the kind of thing that wouldn't happen at your college.

I somehow feel hugely let down by this.
    Dining hall staff. Not students.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Banned

Perhaps students! Work-study jobs are odd jobs indeed. (Although, I must say, the sarcastic student missed a trick by not adding in "misspelled", spelled correctly in some notes and incorrectly in others. Cross-referencing the notes would be optional.)

Oh, yes, almost forgot--need to chop off the left hand of Cycoris for using un-American alternate spellings in an otherwise American text.
    Last edited by Quincunx; 2010-09-04 at 12:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

tongue Re: KuReshtin's Vociferously Ruminating Harbinger of Random Banter - #147

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Please be joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    It demonstrates to certain people a level of ignorance. Over 90% of people you meet couldn't care less, I'd wager.
    I doubt it's that bad. More like 10%. I hope.

Stupid usage.
    But it developed differently from 'use'. And it's not ugly!

I do! I do!
    That's not it at all. 'Utilize' just sounds nicer than 'use'. And it came about differently from 'use', if I remember right.

ETA: Another pet peeve of mine is when people use "good" instead of "well". As in "How are you?" "I'm good." What if I don't define "good" the same way you do? Huh? HUH?
    Then I suppose you're going to purposefully misunderstand them.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #240
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    It's a Bushism - a mashing of "irrespective" and "regardless". Do people actually use it?
    Predates the man, even.

Things that cause an individual to appear to have anger management issues, for better or worse, rarely seem to have a positive effect on one's life or the world.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-09-04 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide