New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Magical Supernatural and Psionic Supernatural [3.5]

A supernatural ability under "standard" rules (with magic, but no psionics) is suppressed by antimagic field.

A supernatural ability under psionics is suppressed by null psionics field.

So, if a creature has both magical and psionic abilities, how do you tell which supernatural to use? Do both antimagic field and null psionics field suppress the supernatural ability? Do you just guess?

I know there aren't many (if any) creatures with both magic and psionics, but I have to ask. Is there a RAW ruling on this?
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Magical Supernatural and Psionic Supernatural [3.5]

Normally, magic-psionic transparency is in effect, meaning Supernatural abilities are negated by antimagic and null psionics.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Psionic-Magic transparency is strongly recommended in all psi books. In this form, "psionic magic" is just another derivative, like "divine magic" and "arcane magic". If you're using transparency, there is zero difference between spells with psionic analogs like mind blank and null psionics/antimagic

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Normally, magic-psionic transparency is in effect, meaning Supernatural abilities are negated by antimagic and null psionics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake-Aes View Post
    Psionic-Magic transparency is strongly recommended in all psi books. In this form, "psionic magic" is just another derivative, like "divine magic" and "arcane magic". If you're using transparency, there is zero difference between spells with psionic analogs like mind blank and null psionics/antimagic
    Excellent. Thanks much.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

This gives me a question: how does that work if there is no psionic-magic transparency?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordChucks View Post
    The most unpleasant plane is the one filled with snakes and Samuel L. Jackson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You kill people by teleporting their brain...into your hand. That's about as badass as it gets, and should come with a free +30 on all Intimidate checks made...ever.

No gods. No kings. Only PCs. Ceteris paribus.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zhalath View Post
    This gives me a question: how does that work if there is no psionic-magic transparency?
    Supernatural powers are neither. And suppressed by both.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    I know there aren't many (if any) creatures with both magic and psionics
    Between applying the Half-Fiendish (or Half-Celestial, or ...) template to critter with Psi-like abilities, or applying the Phrenic template to critter with Spell-Like abilities, it's not hard to get a critter with both, if you're the DM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. Supernatural abilities are suppressed by both antimagic zones and null-psionics fields. Why does it matter which is which if they're both the same?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I'm afraid I don't really understand your question. Supernatural abilities are suppressed by both antimagic zones and null-psionics fields. Why does it matter which is which if they're both the same?
    It's been answered, but here and here.

The relevant texts:
    Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.
    Some creatures have psionic abilities that are considered supernatural...Supernatural abilities are not subject to power resistance and cannot be negated or dispelled; however, they do not function in areas where psionics is suppressed.
    Neither one says anything about the other, which made me think about whether they're actually the same or if they're actually different.

Technically, they are different, but since most books suggest a magic-psionics transparency, that difference doesn't matter.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

What are different, and what are they different from? Are you saying that supernatural abilities are different from supernatural abilities? A supernatural ability is a supernatural ability. A is A. A rose is a rose is a rose.

Supernatural abilities are magical and thus suppressed in areas in which magic is suppressed, such as an antimagic field. Supernatural abilities also do not function in areas where psionics is suppressed, such as a null psionics field. (We may therefore infer that supernatural abilities are psionic as well as magical.) All of this is true whether psionics-magic transparency is used or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Technically, they are different, but since most books suggest a magic-psionics transparency, that difference doesn't matter.
    psi-like abilities are not supernatural, they're psi-like the same way spell-like abilities are spell-like and not supernatural :p

The only mentions to dead magic = dead psionic is in the transparency setup, so you are free to have psi working where magic normally wouldn't if you don't use such transparency rules.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Supernatural abilities are raw energy, which is the same regardless of who's using it.

Magic and psionics are different ways of shaping that energy into a pattern to create a desired effect. Spell Resistance unshapes that pattern.