New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Guest Comics Thread

I didn't see this (but I suck at searching so forgive me if it's been done to death) but it seems there are a lot of peeps on here with Webcomics. As we all know guest comics can be a GREAT way to promote yourself and cross-promote your comic as well. They're the ultimate win-win.

I finally am at a point where I feel comfortable in opening up my own at WaywardSons.net to a guest comic. If you head to the homepage now you'll see what I'm looking for... which is pretty much anything. BUT since this thread may go on longer than that homepage link stays there, the real link is HERE to the blog posting about it...

What I'm suggesting for THIS thread is not a listing of "Hey I'd like to do a guest strip/comic" but a listing of people who wouldn't mind GETTING a guest comic for THEIR Webcomic site.

This way, the thread can continue on without getting cluttered and people can PRIVATELY contact (either through this message or through the respective Web sites) to discuss doing a guest strip.

Hope that makes sense...?
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell
    http://www.WaywardSons.net

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Guest Comics Thread

It absolutely makes sense!

My own comic, Loaded Dice, has a wonderful artist - who tends to have a, er, flexible update schedule. In a perfect world, we'd known out two strips per week like clockwork.

In a less perfect world, I'd have a couple of guest strips always at hand to use in a pinch.

So chalk me up in the "would love to have guest comics!" column.
    Santa4me.com: personalized, one of a kind letters from Santa Claus!

Loaded Dice
    : A D&D webcomic, updating on Mondays and Thursdays

3. - Top - End - #3

Possible taboo subject, but... would possible contributors want to know facts about your readership to consider? Or would that be seen as TMI, bragging, or overall hurt more than it helps?

People seem to get bent out of shape over silly things, so I figure best to ask before saying anything...
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Meh, I'm not worried about stats.

We've been around for a little over a year. Peak readership was right at 1k regular readers last December, before we went on a four month hiatus and changed artists. We fell to 400ish at the reboot, are back above 900 now and growing rapidly.

Archive stands at sixty odd strips, total pages viewed (my own excluded programatically) will break half a million tomorrow (or late this evening).
    Santa4me.com: personalized, one of a kind letters from Santa Claus!

Loaded Dice
    : A D&D webcomic, updating on Mondays and Thursdays

5. - Top - End - #5

OK... if it helps, then... we're currently averaging over 50k views/day.

We're certainly not one of the big guys yet, but hopefully that's enough to make it worthwhile for a guest artist to get some form of exposure for their time?
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh my, how did I not see this before?

Are you still looking for guest comics?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Yeah, my times open for me to do a guest comic. I'm not familiar with the stories but still would be willing lend my services.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Hohum... i wouldn't mind getting a guest comic or two for Anteheroes. (And Astral probably wouldn't mind either.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Hohum... i wouldn't mind getting a guest comic or two for Anteheroes. (And Astral probably wouldn't mind either.)
    You mean Antiheroes? The OotS stile one with the vampire, ghost, and some cloaked spellcaster? I started reading that and could catch up if you need a guest artist.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    You mean Antiheroes? The OotS stile one with the vampire, ghost, and some cloaked spellcaster? I started reading that and could catch up if you need a guest artist.
    No, he means that: http://theanteheroes.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    No, he means that: http://theanteheroes.com/
    Yeah, that one. Not as good as the other one, admitedly. >_>
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Yeah, that one. Not as good as the other one, admitedly. >_>
    Meh, I could still help out. I'd have to read through it. How many strips are in the archives and what sort of style would you want (I know I wouldn't be able to duplicate the artist's style but do you care if I did sort of my own thing or kept it some what close to the regular style)?

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Elagune View Post
    Oh my, how did I not see this before?

Are you still looking for guest comics?
    Were you asking me? If so, the answer is yes... we will be accepting guest comics for the foreseeable future for every Sunday we have one. Otherwise we run a bio or other content ourselves.
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, wonderful. What format would you like it in, and what kind of content? Should I just PM you the link after I'm done with it?

Forgive my crappy art compared to your comic's awesome visuals, though.
    Last edited by Elagune; 2010-09-19 at 11:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Just copy/pasting from how I answered someone else:

1) All artwork must be 72 dpi, 70% high quality minimum jpegs, 700 pixels wide, 1000 pixels high. Full color / finished work. File size SHOULD come in under 400k but that's not a cut-off. Usually our pages/updates are around 300k.
    2) All artwork must somehow represent Wayward Sons. It can be our characters with your characters. Your characters wearing our characters' uniform. Or just our characters in your style.
    3) Pin-ups are okay.
    4) Multi-panel stories are okay
    5) Overt nudity is NOT okay. Implied (cheesecake) nudity is okay as long as it's tasteful.
    6) Cursing is NOT okay. @#%@# types of cursing are okay. "Crap, hell, damn" is about the worst language we use. We're all-access comics.
    7) Multi-page stories ARE okay but please be aware that your story might want to be 2 pages at max or it would be interrupted by our updates Monday - Friday.
    8) If you're wanting your story to be canonical and not just a "gag" then please contact me with your concept in advance. I will certainly be willing to work with you on them if that's something you'd like to try.
    9) This is a NON-PAID "guest" strip. The compensation is ONLY to promote your work. We will include an in-depth description in that day's Livejournal and the Archive's DISQUS page linking (in perpetuity) back to your work.
    10) If you don't have anything to plug, then we don't mind FAN artwork and that can be posted on our FACEBOOK PAGE (which you can find at http://www.facebook.com/thewaywardsons)

Feel free to email me any questions at [email protected]
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Anteheroes Requirements:

1) All artwork must be 792 pixels in width. Height is fairly irrelevant.
    2) Guest art must somehow represent the Anteheroes properties in some way. The most likely guest comics at this juncture'd be sketches; there's not a lot of material to work with for other stuff, I think, but if you've got an idea, go for it.
    3) Any events which occur in them will be in discontinuity with the strip.
    4) Acceptable content:
    • Pin-ups and things of a sexually suggestive manner not solely for the purposes of humor are not okay. If you can see someone using your art as 'me time' material, then please rethink your submission.
    • Profanity as used to establish a character is fine; flagrant profanity is not.
    • Violence should stay fairly rated R at the most.
    • In general, the more 'class', the better when it comes to mature subjects. Childish and immature clean humor is A-OK! :D

5) If you're having issues coming up with ideas, let me know: [email protected].

Meh, I could still help out. I'd have to read through it. How many strips are in the archives and what sort of style would you want (I know I wouldn't be able to duplicate the artist's style but do you care if I did sort of my own thing or kept it some what close to the regular style)?
    There are 35 strips in the archives at the moment.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2010-09-21 at 01:01 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    The Anteheroes Requirements:

Well, there you have your answer, Dr Epic. Hope that's sufficient and you're still interested.
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2010-09-24 at 10:53 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Well, there you have your answer, Dr Epic. Hope that's sufficient and you're still interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    There are 35 strips in the archives at the moment.
    Cool. I should be able to breeze through the strips later today and hit you with something in the next few days (a week tops).

19. - Top - End - #19

Quick guest slot - colors/inks only - needed

Heya... I have a piece that could go up with THIS week's guest slot for Wayward Sons, but it's only a digital pencil sketch by our own artist. It would need to be digitally inked/colored.

So I thought of you guys and figured I'd throw this out there as a possibility.

Would get the same standard plugs as per usual, and it really IS a nice piece featuring all of the women.

You can see the pencils here: http://waywardsons.keenspot.com/work...ardwomen01.jpg

Contact me via email if interested at: actvmedia @ aol dot com

Would need for this to be done by Saturday at the latest. Last Sunday's guest page had 100k views on Sunday and more every day since. So this would be a pretty easy plug I would think.

THANKS!
    - Writers write
    Benny Powell