New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Say what you will, but I kind of like Demon Siggy. Demon Siggy is a pretty cool guy. Eh slaughters teh (not so) innocent and doesn't afraid of anything.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    Just out of shot, the damned soul of Fred Flintstone has the same job, using another dinosaur to excavate souls.
    The Flintstones/Jetsons with tortured souls and hellish monsters instead of dinosaurs/technology?
    Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    You have clearly not seen real crap then, inertia is not enough to make people keep waching the comic if they are not interestet in whats going to happen next.
    If you have it on RSS or bookmarks and reading it every day is part of your routine, it takes little time and you don't really think about it... You can be not enjoying a comic for a while before realising.

The trick is merely to read the comic before visiting the forum, any flaws i did not pick up in my own reading of the comic doesnt count.
    What? It should be able to hold up to rereading, logical thought and basic scrutiny.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-14 at 09:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

You know, due to the pacing, this scene plays out rather comically. I mean, the panels and the silence just work together to make it look like Demon!Siegfried killing all those robbers/murderers etc. was the most mundane thing in the world.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

4. - Top - End - #394

A whole arc of Gorn... as drawn/envisioned by Mookie...

I'd say I'll sit this arc out but I know that, sooner or later, curiosity will get the best of me. Stupid trainwreck effect.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to say something positive about Darken in between my regularly scheduled vitriol and bad jokes, but there's another thread for that, so I will confine my fanboyism to just, "It's Awesome"

Now, back to the snark.

Siggy's excavator monster... mount thing is almost awesome. If only it had a blinking light on top of it and a horrifying BEEP BEEP BEEP every time he rides it backwards I'm willing to bet any death he deals in this arc will ultimately be too confusing to be as awesome as Mookie thinks it is in his head, almost to the point where it becomes awesome after it loops around the Wheel Of Shame to the far side again. I agree though, that Siggy really needs to broaden his choice of clothing colors. Maybe throw some 99% grey in amongst all that black, just for variety.

I'm also taking bets on the supposed splatterfest not living up to the hype. I've got ten bucks on "Would be cool if you think like Mookie, but the rest of us can't tell what's going on", but I've got friends that are betting on "Total waste of time". Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

I think he looked pretty interesting, people keep complaining about Mookie not experimenting with his art, well take a closer look at Sigfried, he certanly looks like an experiment.
    What has science done?!

Joking aside, i like the little touch with the horns on the mask. Makes for some nice little ambiguity for a moment in all the mediocrity. (If the panel composition was better and your eyes wouldn't be drawn to the last panel immediately...)

Quote Originally Posted by Deca View Post
    Holy crap! Siegfried is HUGE!
    My first thought on this as well... he's like what? 10 times as tall as regular people?

...and then Humbug pointed out the ass shot in panel 1. That must be the biggest exemplar we've seen so far.

Yeah, this arc is most likely to be full of gorn, killing unimportant mooks left, right and center. Thus rendering the whole deal of massive violence ineffective.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #397

Somehow, it all just looks too mundane. I can just see Siggy punching out after another long shift of devouring the souls of the damned. Maybe having some beers with a few friends and whining about how Karnak promised him a cushy job with a corner office but stuck him driving a soul-muncher for minimum wage.

I think part of it might be the mask - he looks more bored than terrifying.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

If you have it on RSS or bookmarks and reading it every day is part of your routine, it takes little time and you don't really think about it... You can be not enjoying a comic for a while before realising.
    Yes, but i have been reading this comic since around the middle of the Storm of souls arc, i kinda think i would have noticed by now if i didnt find at least some of the comics interesting or funny.

What? It should be able to hold up to rereading, logical thought and basic scrutiny.
    Yes, and after having given it that, i then head off to the forum, for it certainly wont get logical though and a fair treatment here....

Also seems for 'normal' bad people hell is not as good.
    Then considder this, is it more or less of a hell because the place isnt fair?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A have a certain feeling someone can do it better with just the panels he used there.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, but i have been reading this comic since around the middle of the Storm of souls arc, i kinda think i would have noticed by now if i didnt find at least some of the comics interesting or funny.
    I wasn't talking about you specifically. Or for every fan.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-14 at 02:31 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by spectralphoenix View Post
    Somehow, it all just looks too mundane. I can just see Siggy punching out after another long shift of devouring the souls of the damned. Maybe having some beers with a few friends and whining about how Karnak promised him a cushy job with a corner office but stuck him driving a soul-muncher for minimum wage.

I think part of it might be the mask - he looks more bored than terrifying.
    It does look like that. He abandons the excavator mid-mouthful, jumps off, does a happy dance in panel 4, then trudges home.

12. - Top - End - #402

I thought just occurred to me. This arc is just the same as Mookie´s last. Lots of people will get slaughtered in a gruesome way, but these are all -evil- people so it's okay to cause them lots of pain and a violent end. So we have to cheer Siggy and Karnak on while they destroy those who are evil! So they've already been redeemed and characters have been derailed while the comic has barely started!
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

13. - Top - End - #403

Well, at least he's more efficient about it now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Did anyone else get the sense of "Dramatic Look Gopher" from this comic?
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

15. - Top - End - #405

Quote Originally Posted by Jerthanis View Post
    Dammit, now I can't get it out of my head.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes.

Even got Ironside theme in my head.
    Steamname: Atheist God, if you're lucky.

17. - Top - End - #407

I find it interesting that Mookie talks about how he loves Siegfried's new title as "That evil guy" when a quick archive dive will reveal the general consensus on all the forums and even TVtropes to be that he was trying his best to destroy him. I imagine whenever he runs out of villains he likes making a regular jerk turn into a giant one, maybe he doesn't even hate jocks, and just thinks they make good villains? I dunno, I'm not even done reading War in Hell yet.

18. - Top - End - #408

PirateGuy

This is funny.

It actually works better if you run the panels exactly backwards

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Imgran; 2010-09-14 at 07:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I got the sense Siggy was playing "Giant's Treasure" (not sure what the international name for this kids game is). Siggy's looking the other way, move up behind him, quick he's turned around everybody freeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    I find it interesting that Mookie talks about how he loves Siegfried's new title as "That evil guy" when a quick archive dive will reveal the general consensus on all the forums and even TVtropes to be that he was trying his best to destroy him. I imagine whenever he runs out of villains he likes making a regular jerk turn into a giant one, maybe he doesn't even hate jocks, and just thinks they make good villains? I dunno, I'm not even done reading War in Hell yet.
    The story I've heard about Siggy's fall, taken from anecdotes from anecdotes from Keenspotters who were reading at the time of War in Hell:

A big plot point in War in Hell is Dom's foretelling that someone that he knows is going to die. While the arc was going on, naturally there was mass fan speculation as to who that person going to be. The main debate was between Siggy and Luna, as that's the way the arc was going. When it turned out it was Siggy, a lot of Keenspotters were annoyed. They argued that Siggy was one of the more interesting characters lying between villain and hero, that he still had a lot of potential character development left while Luna had run her course, and that Siggy's death wasn't especially meaningful to Dominic. I suppose there was a bit of the "Draco in Leather Pants" effect there too, because we know what happened next: Siggy was literally demonised and his past was retconned so he was an irredeemable monster.

The weird thing was that originally DD had three interesting badguy characters; in increasing order of badness: Siggy, Celesto and Jacob. The least bad Siggy was the one who was demonised, the most bad Jacob has been redeemed, and Celesto is in some strange place where he's very hard to categorise (and is thus one of the few remaining interesting characters).

20. - Top - End - #410

Celesto is a Catboy Bondage Sex-slave.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

21. - Top - End - #411

I can probably redraw this page to look better, but I dunno, the writing on this page needs improvement too right? Anyone wanna crack at that?

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
    I can probably redraw this page to look better, but I dunno, the writing on this page needs improvement too right? Anyone wanna crack at that?
    Ooh, ooh! Me, pick me!

*ahem*

Or whatever, you know.

EDIT: Oh, wait. Silent strip.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-14 at 08:13 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

23. - Top - End - #413

It's not the silence that's the problem, people find it strange for Siggy to just hop off the beast for no real reason, frankly I'm not even sure what the heck is up with that.

24. - Top - End - #414

Well okay then. Here goes attempting not to suck!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

It's just so... Flintstones...

I imagine Siggy heard some sort of demonic Pterosaur screeching in the background, knew it was quitting time, and hopped off to go use his feet to power his car over the hands of the damned, or relax in his cave as a giant plant monster cooks dinner.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Pixie in the Playground

It's not the silence that's the problem, people find it strange for Siggy to just hop off the beast for no real reason, frankly I'm not even sure what the heck is up with that.
    He has a really huge dead leg.

27. - Top - End - #417

Quote Originally Posted by Newspost

Those of you who want to see Siegfried kick a major amount of ass will hopefully enjoy this increasingly gory story.
    See, if this were any other webcomic, I would be saying "This can't not be awesome!"

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Check out that ass shot in panel 1. Mookie just cannot resist, can he?
    Important question regarding the ass-shot.

Where are her legs?

Is she sitting? Hovering? Ass-deep in human excrement?

29. - Top - End - #419
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

For those who can't wait, click the image to see the next exciting installment of...

30. - Top - End - #420

That's what I noticed too, Mookie was so engrossed with drawing that ass, he totally forgot to give her legs.
    Last edited by Humbug; 2010-09-14 at 09:26 PM.