New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Oh god.

I just saw "My children saved me" on a magazine and it's all your fault.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    Have you read Hitmen for Destiny?

bad art
    Stop there. Serviceable art is pivitol in comics. Comics are a visual medium, and as such your readers are going to end up staring at it a good percent of the time. If he writes a good story, he should start writing a web novel, but unless he can improve art-wise, he might want to contact an artist.

Think of it this way. We spend around 40% of the time here critiquing Mookie's art, and the other 60% about writing, story structure, and so forth. If Mookie manned-up and decided to get someone good to do art for him, we'd be mostly restricted to that 60%. If you can eliminate art issues, you increase the overall quality of the experience.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-20 at 11:32 AM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

1. This particular comic would not work as a novel. It has to be a visual experience.

2. Many many panels. Many many pages. It would take years to do.

3. It's already over. The creator has moved on to other things.

4. He does not get paid and has not made any money off of it.

5. Artist/writer deals tend to be pretty risky. Sometimes the artist wants money or doesn't stick to schedules or maybe he isn't doing things how you want them to go, or maybe he disappeared off the face of the internet like countless other people.

I'm of the opinion that the art is functional and that other aspects of the comic redeem it. It's ugly at first but you get used to it and he does get better at it.
    Nicer art would be great but there's nothing else like this and if I have to look at bad art to read it then so be it. Despite these gaping flaws in presentation, it is still in my opinion the best webcomic.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-19 at 05:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by colonelslime View Post
    Just on the topic of webcomics, I don't think the good/bad ratio is all that different than most other mediums. Print comics and manga suffer just as much from terrible entries, as do television, video-games, music, ect.
    No, webcomics have a worse good/bad ratio because there is nothing stopping some random person from making a bad webcomic. On TV, books, and the rest, while there's some bad stuff, the rigamarole of getting things made gives a better ratio. Yeah, a bunch of bad stuff slips through and some good stuff is halted, but it results in a whole lot of the bad stuff being stopped. In a medium like webcomics, where there is nothing stopping someone from making one, there's going to be a worse ratio.

And, in all these cases, there are people who like the terrible ones, in spite of my pleas to the see the folly of their ways (see one of my friends and twilight).
    Twilight--the first book at least--isn't terrible, it's just mediocre and dumb.

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Oh god I can't unsee it.

...It's okay. Artists improve over time, right? Let's see the last strip.

sdigbhoaiubfn
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't be such a graphic-whore, Laughing Man. It's functional in this instance and the author has a genuinely decent story to tell.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah next you'll be saying that a webcomic could never work if it was done in say... stick figures.

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Yeah next you'll be saying that a webcomic could never work if it was done in say... stick figures.
    OoTS is as minimalistic as I'll go. That... no. I know I sound like a snob. I know. But... no. Just no. I'm sorry.

Let's get on another topic before my standards get me sleeping with the fishes, yes?

Dammit Mookie.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-19 at 06:47 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

9. - Top - End - #729

GnomeWizardGuy

DD's art would be good enough if the story and/or jokes were strong enough. Any serious critiques I make of the art are usually because the art is either a) unclear, b) clearly wrong, or c) lazy (this last one being the biggest problem.)

Usually I don't mind rough art in a webcomic, but I must admit I never got that far into Hitmen for Destiny. It might be because it appeared to be a serious story comic, but the art looked like if Maniac Mansion was drawn in MS Paint. Not that Maniac Mansion wasn't awesome, but it's hard to follow the story when my subconscious keeps on saying "pick up hamster".

Re: snark rangers: Seriously guys, if you're going to put that in the OP then I'm way too old to be The Hero. That's a job for a teenager with an interesting hairstyle and a talking pet. I'd prefer Trickster Mentor or Team Mom.

10. - Top - End - #730

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    Re: snarkerangers: Seriously guys, if you're going to put that in the OP then I'm way too old to be The Hero. That's a job for a teenager with an interesting hairstyle and a talking pet. I'd prefer Trickster Mentor or Team Mom.
    Oh, get off your low-horse and just accept you have a place of importance. Besides, being The Hero isn't about "hair" or gimmicks, it's about being a fair leader, and the Heart. I can't accept Herohood, as I'm too biased against Mookie. colonelslime can't be leader because he seems to distant. (no offense) Seriously, the situation is that no one else has done enough and had the right traits to be considered the Hero.

tl;dr: This whole thread is an ensemble piece, and I needed to pick someone. You were the closest fit.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2010-09-19 at 07:35 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

11. - Top - End - #731

Imp

I humbly volunteer to answer the call and swap tropes with Trazoi.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

12. - Top - End - #732

Only if I get to add Refusal of The Call and The Unchosen One to you both.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ponytar by akrim.elf

13. - Top - End - #733
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, DD can only hold a passing amount of my attention, I have life to deal with, you know.

Honestly, I'm flattered that I got noticed at all.

One thing I'll say about Hitmen for Destiny, from the strips I've read at least, is that I almost never had trouble figuring out what was going on. While the art is a little ugly, the characters are distinguishable, the action flows, and no one is ever missing a body part.

Art is important, but I've seen worse serialized in newspapers. It would require clean-up for print to be sure, but it's not terrible, and I think most of the ugliness comes from the fact that, as Trazoi said, the mspaint comes out a little too much.

(I though maniac mansion too)
    "Sanity is not statistical."
    - George Orwell, 1984

14. - Top - End - #734
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it could be said that if we can criticize someone for not working with an editor/writer, we could do the same for not getting an at least decent artist.

...But then I remember Dominic Deegan... Mookie should have a writer, editor, AND artist.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    Hitmen for Destiny's art isn't bad because it's crude, it's bad because it's crude but is trying to be more. Let's take my one of my favorite newspaper comic strips, Pearls Before Swine. Take a look. You might notice that the drawings are quite simplistic, about on par with Order of the Stick's. The thing is, however, that it's supposed to be that way so it works. Stephen Pastis, the author, knows he can't draw very well (he's said so in book commentaries) so he picked a minimalistic style that works for him. Even if it's fairly primitive, it manages to be endearing because it does exactly what it's supposed to. Hitmen for Destiny's art is trying to be more than it is and fails.

Basically, if (in terms of art) Pearls Before Swine aims low and hits, Hitmen for Destiny aims higher and misses. And even if it's a low hit, a hit is better than a miss.

16. - Top - End - #736

Speaking about that list, Iīm anything but a Femme Fatale. After asking my friends they said Iīm more of a Dandere then anything else. Does that help with the list making?
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

New comic.
    Epilepsy Karnak panel four?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    You're still at the crappy start.

Usually I don't mind rough art in a webcomic, but I must admit I never got that far into Hitmen for Destiny. It might be because it appeared to be a serious story comic, but the art looked like if Maniac Mansion was drawn in MS Paint. Not that Maniac Mansion wasn't awesome, but it's hard to follow the story when my subconscious keeps on saying "pick up hamster".
    I don't see how this could be anything but a benefit considering the adventure sequences and overall lighthearted absurdity of the comic.

...and no one is ever missing a body part.
    Actually, they do. It's just they don't get them back.

[/fanboyism]
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-20 at 02:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #738

I'm guessing Mookie has never thrown polearms before, because that's not how you do it and expect to hit something. Hell, I don't throw polearms and even I know it doesn't work that way.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Is that what happened? I thought he just got really mad and killed that thing with the power of his rage/magic.
    Last edited by T-O-E; 2010-09-20 at 02:25 AM.

20. - Top - End - #740

Hey, look, another human-legged dragony critter.

Also, yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the trident toss either. Although it certainly looks familiar... *Cough*Bortandtheurinecloud*cough*
    LGBTitP

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, Karnak grew up with the Tienchak. He's got secret Orc techniques

22. - Top - End - #742

So... back to square one?
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

23. - Top - End - #743
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    By the way, is your name a reference to Axe Cop? I can't remember if there was a villain named, "Fishy Fishy," but it seems like an Axe Cop-y name.
    Nope. I do read Axe Cop, but I'm not named after it.

I have no idea what's happening in today's comic. Karnak sees a flyey thing, he's looking at the flyey thing. Siggy telepathically yells his name. Karnak has an involuntary bowel movement. Karnak throws his trident at the flyey thing to eliminate the witness and scampers offstage to find some clean pants. Bulgak and Loxo cower behind a rock and supply what's intended to be a joke.

Does panel five look like a kid running to anyone else?

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ogre in the Playground

The timeline is pretty confusing. In the present the OrcButt duo sees Karnak killing everybody else including dinohomobirdies and Siggie has his Khaaaan! moment. Shortly before apparently Siggie cut the tentamountain and is demasked (culminating in his Khaaan! moment at the present). I wonder what he did during all the time between getting his orders (a couple of months/years ago?) and and now. Fed his dinopet on tasty damned morsels?

Well that made sense.
    Last edited by guttering flame; 2010-09-20 at 02:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #745

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Fishy View Post
    Does panel five look like a kid running to anyone else?
    Weird concept of running you got there. Itīs more like... I dunno... walking/skipping something? But not running as in 'he's in a hurry' running no. Karnak does look like a kid though, but that's impossible cause there's only one kid in the Dominion. That of the stripper. Who's mom is prolly gonna die because Luna needs to get her offshoot somewhere and that girl is already blond so they'd be able to claim as theirs. Also then Mookie can be lazy and doesn't have to come up with another new char that totally looks like everybody else, IN KIDS FORM!
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

26. - Top - End - #746
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Nimmel Siggy is going to look like an angry orc with an octopus on his head.
    So... Who wants to take any guesses as to what Bulgak would look like upon turning into a demon lord? haha. I dunno why but... yeah... amused face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

27. - Top - End - #747
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think it's always a wheat/chaff situation; webcomics show it more because we have instant access to all the bad ones.
    Plus you notice the bad ones more, because of all those jerks who spend their time lambasting the bad ones while saying next to nothing about the good ones.

On today's comic: Okay, what? Why did he kill that dragon? None of this makes sense. Why is Off Topic my only comfort?

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

28. - Top - End - #748

Griffon

Karnak killed the Demon-Dragon because it was there. He needs no reason, just an excuse. He's evil, you know.

And is it just me, or does Panel 3 look completely out of context? I mean, I understand that mookie was going for "Karnak is surprised, or at least angered, by being yelled at by his minion".
    To me, however, it looks like the sort of surprised expression that you get when someone just walked in behind him and caught him doing something that he shouldn't.

That's not a "What!?! How dare he!?!" face, that's a "Oh god, how do I explain my way out of this one!?" face. The blushing just makes Karnak look so cowed and almost embarrassed.

Also, in the same panel.... What the hell has happened to his shoulder? It looks like it's dropped about 6" beneath his collar bone. Either that, or there's something seriously wrong with his left pectoral muscle.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-09-20 at 05:30 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

29. - Top - End - #749

AssassinGuy

Heyall,

Ignoring the artwork, I could sort of follow today's strip.

Panel 1) Dragon flies overhead

Panel 2) Karnak sightseeing because there's not much else to do when you're in Hell after you've killed nearly everything stupid enough to get near you for miles around.

Panel 3) He hears Siggy breaking free and goes "Oh no. Not again."

Panel 4) Throws his trident in a totally inappropriate fashion that once again illustrates Mookie's lack of regard for anything but what he thinks is "cool".

Panel 5) Karnak skips away.

Panel 6+7) The dragon crashes to the ground with the trident stuck in its throat. Is disappointing compared to its silhouette but still better looking than the actual "dragon" in the strip.

Panel 8) The obligatory punchline.

The only amusement I got from this strip of the non-snarky variety was imagining what must be going through Karnak's head in panel 3: "My strongest subordinate has broken free and turned on me. Didn't I just do this?"

30. - Top - End - #750

GnomeWizardGuy

I wonder if we'll find out why Karnak was on a demon killing spree, or whether that was just to fill in time until Siggy broke free. Maybe Karnak is practicing to cosplay Bort at the next Comicon?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    Karnak does look like a kid though, but that's impossible cause there's only one kid in the Dominion. That of the stripper.
    There is another Callanian - there's a random boy attending the benefit concert in the Battle of Barthis. There were also a few orc children in the Maltak arc in the present time (not flashbacks). However all evidence suggests there to be a one child per village policy in effect.