New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 31 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night [closed]

There is a tense silence as the two groups of adventurers square off ...

The half-orc rattles his flail restlessly while a gaudily-dressed ranger stands ready by his side. A human fighter stands beside them, his longbow drawn back and ready to fire. Small flames flicker at his arrow's tip.

Behind them, a heavily armored human carries an unconscious robed girl in his arms, flanked by an elf and a gnome. The elf wields a rapier and main-gauche; the gnome holds her crossbow locked and loaded, ready to fire. In the very back is a small halfling holding a glowing spear that illuminates the area.

A quartet of dancing lights swarms distractingly in front of this formidable party.

Thirty feet away a lizardman blocks the center of the passage with bared teeth and sharp claws. The replilian humanoid hisses threateningly as he stands protectively in front of a battered and bloody dwarf, who struggles to his feet and readies a massive sword that seems to be coated with some kind of black ichor.

Behind them stands an exceptionally tall and fair woman with long, straight white hair. Her regal appearance is marred only by stringy webbing that dangles from her robes and arms. A pair of elf twins stands nearby, literal mirror images of each other.

Almost unnoticed at first is a small gnome rogue wielding a scaled-down shortsword. Scarlet blood drips down his arm from a nearly foot long laceration.

Though battered and bloody, this group of adventurers is clearly experienced and battle-hardened and not to be trifled with.

Seconds tick away as each side waits for the other to make the first move ...

OOC: Previously Sarloc's Heir and Into the East. The OOC thread is here. Game on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night [IC]

Lizardkin Druid

No more packmates will be lost this day..
    He stubbornly wills himself to not show the fatigue and aches throughout his body.

*The druid studies the adversaries for their strengths and weaknesses and moves into a defensive posture beside the now standingThokk and Fizahn*

His body language promising swift response to any threat to his pack.

OOC: Charge the first opponent to make a threatening move. I will not recognise the girl bec. my back was to it and i was busy with the beb.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

3. - Top - End - #3

Halfling, Into the East

The Halfling in the middle of the bunch shifts uneasily, peering around a few of his companions' waists to see the other group.

His blueish garments are whole, though certainly not clean, and he seems uninjured.

We outnumber them, but I still don't know if we can afford a fight... but it's not up to me. I'm just here to follow.

He hoists the spear a little higher, watching the other group carefully.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

4. - Top - End - #4

Darius, Human Fighter

Darius looks ahead the other group warily, his eyes dart back and forth from his own party to them. The immense bags under his eyes seem to show more than just fatigue, underneath his cold, hard stare is an inexplicable sadness. He keeps his firey arrow notched to his bow, waiting for someone to make a move.

Well dammit, somebody's gotta talk.

"I have had enough of this place. I've had enough of dark, dank tunnels and unearthly cold. I've had enough of stale food, of running low on water. I've had enough of terrible guides, and I've had enough of grimlocks, chasm, drow, and *urg* poison arrows. The name's Darius, I don't know who you people are, or why you're here, but I know I don't want to fight you."

(OOC: I really like where this is going, DR)
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Female gnomish rogue, East group

The crossbow-wielding gnome's eyes widen as she takes in the scene before her, but the crossbow doesn't waver. Her gray studded leather armor and cloak are decidedly dirty and travel-stained; her long blonde braid is looking rather dull and her brown-skinned, sharp-featured face is smudged with grime. Evidently this group has been traveling for quite some time. Fatigue is evident in her movements, but she looks around the tunnel alertly.

After Darius speaks, the gnome clears her throat. "I agree with Darius. I've had quite enough for one day already, and we need another set of enemies like we need a plague of stirges. I'm Lissa Quicksilver... at least, that's what I go by in most places." Lissa's voice is a pleasant soprano, albeit a bit hoarse. "Oh, speaking of enemies, there's a whole lot of angry drow back there-" she jabs a thumb back the way her group came- "and they'll probably be coming this way as soon as they figure out how to get across the chasm. I strongly suggest that we resolve this quickly so we can get out of here!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

6. - Top - End - #6

Male dual weilding elf

As a sign of good faith, the elf flicks his rapier and sheathes it, He stands upright, still keeping the dagger clenched in one hand. "Well since two of my associates have introduced themselves to you, it would normally be polite to do the same. I'm Aeroz, son of Rellem the Cloaked."

[OOC: New thread, new format. I figured I would give Aeroz a speech colour and change his ID tag to bold. Why I post this, I dont know.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Half-Orc Warrior

The Orc give his flail a shake, the steel head rattling the chain, but he makes no other hostile moves. After a moment, he speaks, his voice gruff and rustic, "This is pretty simple. I'm coming through, and all ya gotta do is clear a path. After that.. I don't care, ya can follow us if it makes ya happy, and that'd probably be a damned fine idea on yer part. Or ya could not move, and I could clear a path, through, or die trying."

He pauses a moment, his rough visage creasing in thought, as if he's forgotten something, "Oh, right.. Lumpy." He offers no other explanation, settling back a bit, waiting for them to clear out.

8. - Top - End - #8

Halfling, Into the East

The halfling gives a short, grim laugh at Lumpy's statement.
    Rather arrogant of him... I don't think we even trust him yet, and he's not helping his cause with them...

Then, not moving from his safe spot towards the middle fo the group, he begins to speak.
    "My name's Achkby. I want a fight about as much as the rest of them. And we think that we need to get down this tunnel, to the Glimmersea. And there are a bunch of angry drow and Grimlocks across a huge chasm back there."
    He jerks his tumb over his shoulder.
    "So I don't advise trying to go that way. I recommend turning back and going back down that tunnel with us. And then we can decide if you're going to come with us or not."
    He pauses for a moment, and glances at Aeroz.
    "But that's not up to me. All I'm saying is that if you aren't on friedly terms you;d probably be better off turnign back around."
    He ends grimly, with a deep sigh, and his spear trembles a bit in his grip. He lowers it, and sets one end on the ground.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

9. - Top - End - #9

Darius

"I'd say most of them are at the bottom of the chasm now." Darius says with a little chuckle. "But yes, we should get going? What do you say?"

He waits for one of the strangers to answer.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Human Ranger

A Human with a long purple and green overcoat and a huge floppy purple hat stands in the very front of the party with Darius and Lissa. The Hawk resting on a strange apparatus which holds a torch shifts on its precarious perch.
    "Oh, great, are you folks going to tie me up as well?" He remarks before shrugging and taking a long drink from the flask sitting at his hip.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

11. - Top - End - #11

Lizardkin Druid

they do not seek to fight.. good

Understanding that the pinkskins who stand opposite them are not keen to fight and are fleeing something behind them, the lizard understands the strangers simply wish to pass

I hope the others will let them pass.. we need rest

but first our prey..
    speaking slowly with clenched teeth
    in draconic,
    "Where.......iss....sSethra?"

OOC: hello to everyone from ITE. sorry if i come off as a bit of a harda**.with a cha of 8, I really should rub you the wrong way and don't expect me to volunteer my name. lizardkin don't do that with humanoids. and well it'll take a while before my char warms up to you. I told my own party to just call me Druid.. so if you hear them call me that you could follow suit. thanks. game on
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

12. - Top - End - #12

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sorry buddy, I dont speak your language. " The elf comments as the lizardfolk belays his message. "Perhaps we could understand each other if we spoke in this tongue. I .." Aeroz stutters as he tries to think of a goblin equivalent for the word "reckon that we can talk to each other easier. Or do you speak common? If you're travelling with a band like this, it seems sort of like a necessity."

Aeroz's goblin is a little rusty, but if the lizarfolk can understand it, it should be understandable

[OOC: obviously orange is goblin, blue is common.]

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White, mage.

The white haired, white robed woman in the back of the newcomers stands on her staff wearily and studies the other group. Her eyes scan the tunnel left and right but she can't see many things apart from the other group due to lack of any ability to see in the dark. Shaking her head she attempts a smile when three of the strangers speak. Deeming it polite, she also begins to introduce herself:

It is fortunate to meet anything other than enemies in these caverns if-from what I gathered of your speech-they are indeed part of the Underdark. My friends and I traveled through a portal here after a fight with a powerful demon. Though admitting it pains me, we lost more than one friend there-we would not like to fight again so soon. My name is Linda "Whitestaff" Endareth but you can call me simply by my first name. If you were fighting drow and other creatures of darkness, would I be right in assuming you are a noble group? If that is so, we could possibly join forces for a time-this place must be dangerous and I would like to live to see the light.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

14. - Top - End - #14

Fizahn:

Fizahn eyes the other group warily, looking at each one and evaluating them, he spends the longest time evaluating the other gnome. He then looks at his own group and evaluates them. Pressing his hand to his arm, he begins to speak, "I'm Fizahn. I agree that fighting is not the best option. I assume you're fleeing from those drow back the way you came, but if not it would be best to combine forces and find a place to rest as quickly as we can."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:01 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The orc begins to walk towards the other party, intending to push his way through if they won't move. As he nears, it becomes clear that he's in rather poor condition himself, dirty, beaten up, and looking like he hasn't had a proper meal in quite a while. He does manage a derisive snort, "Rest? In the underdark? Good luck with that. I've been down here fer a while and I ain't had the pleasure yet."

16. - Top - End - #16

As Lumpy approaches, the dwarf raises his sword in warning, point ready. Fresh demon blood, black as tar, drips from its blade.

"I'm in no mood for yer disrespectful tone, half-breed. Ye'll be answerin' our questions an' politely too before we say ye can pass!"

The two elves step forward in an attempt to defuse the tense situation, revealing themselves on closer inspection to be half-elven. They roll their eyes at the dwarf's racial slur, then both bow as one respectfully.

One speaks in a gentle voice, "Greetings and well met, friends. I am Elthan Moonshadow."

"As am I," adds the other.

"We have no wish to fight nor would we hinder your travels, but we are somewhat disoriented and could use your help," says the first.

"First of all, where are we?" asks the second.

"If this is truly the Underdark, is there quick passage to the surface?" asks the first.

"How far are we from Mimleth and the Orsrauns?" asks the second.

Seeing the blank looks they get in return, the first Elthan asks, "Are we even still in the Vilhon Reach?"

The other continues, "And we have seen that girl you are carrying in a vision," indicating Sheyra, "Who is she?"

"Is she alive?" inquires the first, an eyebrow cocked in curiosity.

17. - Top - End - #17

Darius, Human Fighter

"Actually, if any of you could help us, Sheyra and I have both been poisoned by drow arrows. She's alive... but she's fading. And no, there is no quick passage to the surface... in fact we'll be lucky if we ever find passage to the surface. And what do you mean, in a vision?"
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

18. - Top - End - #18

Achkby, Halfling

After Aeroz speaks, Achkby says quietly, trying to make himself audible only to his friends, "I understand him. Or at least I think that I do." He frowns for a moment, puzzled. "I think that he asked us where 'ssethra' is, though he hisses so much that he can't tell if it is ssethra or just ethra."

-----Present-----

This is insane! Why do some people always want to fight? At least one of them is going to die if there is a fight.

Speaking to the elf/ves, Achkby says, "Thank you for keeping your heads."
    The he talks directly to the dwarf. "I'd thank you to keep your weapons down, Dwarf. Even if Lumpy is out of line, you have no place starting a fight when none of us want it.
    "We brought him, so if he does try anything, we'll take care of him oursleves. If he attacks you, I see no problem with your defending yourself or even killing him, but don't touch him until he does so. And we'll stop him from doing that.
    "
    He stares grimly at the dwarf, but then looks at Lumpy instead. "Lumpy, I know you've been down here for a while, but this is not the time to start another fight. Come back here and put down that flail."

He shifts a bit uneasily after challenging the two people in the tunnel with the biggest weapons, but doesn't say anythign more.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #19

Fizahn, gnome:

Fizahn looks at Lumpy like he's a fool as he threatens to fight Thokk. His glance is replicated as Darius comments about how the group is poisoned and asks what is meant by vision. "Is a vision not specific enough for you? Very well, we saw her in the portal that brought us here." Fizahn laughs as Achkby reprimands Lumpy. "That's right Lumpy, listen to your brains."

OOC: For those of you who don't know, I've color-coded my languages:
    Common
    Gnome
    Draconic
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:02 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #20

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin looks slightly baffled as the pinkskins around him exchange greetings and begin to co-operate. the knowledge that a confrontation was no longer imminent relaxed the lizardkin until a tall, smelly pinkskin took steps forward and started being belligerent. The lizardkin drew himself to his full height and stood toe to toe with him, flexing his clawed wrists & hissing dangerously thru clenched teeth. His manner indicating that if the strange pinkskin attempted to push his way thru his party, it''d have to go thru him..first.

I will share my pain with this pinkskin if he tries to be stupid..

As the elthans burst into an attempt to defuse the situation and the stranger goes no further, he attempts to digest the conversation that passes around him.

Even with his increasing grasp of pinkskin-speech, the words while intelligble did not make sense to him. He was further puzzled that the others were not seeking what errand these strangers had with Sethra and why the others weren't eager to retreat back into the mountains and rest so as to relaunch the attack on Sethra.

there isn't much time left.. my people will begin to move soon
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

21. - Top - End - #21

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sethra...Sethra...I've heard the name before. I think it had something to do with that Kris thing. Why would you be looking for him. We were told that it was a centuries old artifact. Obviously the man must be dead, or undead. I wouldn't put it past some people..."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Darius, Human Fighter

"Uh, actually no, not really. A vision could be a number of things... all of which there's no time to go into now. Let's get moving, shall we?"

Vision not specific enough for you? How about an arrow up your arse, that specific enough for you? And that damn lizard is getting on my nerves... as unlikely as it seems I think I'm with Lumpy on this one.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy actually does stop, though he doesn't look eitherr intimidatec by the resistance put up, nor swayed by their attempts at persausion. Instead, his thick features flex into something approximately incredulous, "Yeah, sure, let's all sit down, put aside our weapons, put a pot'a tea on the fire, and compare notes. That way when the dark elves cross the chasm with some other bridge or whatever, we can all be unprepared with our backs to a dead end, and die properly."

He shakes his flail again impatiently, pausing in his speech long enough to rattle of a few colorful curses in orcish, then continues, "Or, if the prospect of being alive appeals ta ya somehow, we should, say.. move and talk all at the same time. Not too complicated fer ya, is it? Because otherwise, whether I die fighting all'a ya, or a pack of drow ain't gonna make any difference in an hour or so."

Always talking.. you'd think they were on the surface the way they waste time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa sighs audibly and rolls her eyes as Lumpy and the dwarf butt heads (metaphorically speaking.) She giggles at the other gnome's comment, and replies in the same language. {Fighters, go figure. I mean, 'half-breed'? I can come up with a better insult than that half-asleep!}

Seeing that a fight is (hopefully) not imminent, Lissa snaps down the safety catch on her crossbow and slings it over her shoulder by an attached strap. "I speak Draconic, too," she pipes up. Looking at the lizardfolk, the gnome speaks in the same hissing language. <Well met, warrior. Do you understand the trading-talk of humans?> She looks back up at Darius. "I just told him hello, and asked him if he understands Common. And I second the motion to talk while we walk! Or better yet, run!" Lissa eyes the wounded dwarf. "Hmm, he doesn't look like he can move very fast at the moment. Baravar's black cloak, that must hurt! Oy, Sedryn! Got any cure spells handy? The dwarf here looks like he can use 'em."

OOC: {Gnome} <Draconic>
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

25. - Top - End - #25

Fizahn, gnome:

"I know what you mean, I've said worse half-asleep."

Fizahn sheathes his "short sword", and looks at the passage the other group came from, and then looks the way his group is preventing them from going. "I agree with her. We'd better start moving. I don't think anyone is in any shape to fight, and definitely not an outnumbered battle."

Fizahn turns and starts walking down the passage. He turns back to look at everyone, and shouts back, "Well, does anyone else want to live? Let's pick up the pace here!"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 07:03 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #26

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Whoa there. You guys look pretty roughed up. Moving around here in your condition would be dangerous. Do you guys have any healing or something? If not, I'm sure that Sedryn will be able to help you out" Aeroz points the cleric in the full plate, who seems to be standing idly.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Lizardkin Druid
    The momentary spike of rage ebbs into a palpable knot of cold fury. An emotion more familiar to the cold-blooded creature.

Feh..I begin to forget myself. Perhaps pinkskins are not as weak as 'the people' thought they were. Perhaps the ones i hunt with are worthy of some respect but.. I AM lizardkin.. and must remember 'my people' belong to a balance while these.. pinkksins.. easily upset it with their ignorance and embrace corruptive magic..... I CANNOT become attached to them...packmates though they are.. and i cannot take on their weaknesses as well

Although still standing before the tall strangely smelling pinkskin, his shoulders drop and the lizardkin seems less aggressive.
    Yet the loss and anger I hold do not seem any less
    His brows furrow.

His attention is diverted by a smaller pinkskin a short distance behind the one he blocks. Like the small scarred one with the spirit of a wolverine, this one has a big snout as well.

His eyes widen as it sheathes it weapon and stands close and begins talking in draconic.

It can't come above my hip but here it stands fearlessly while unarmed within reach of one such as I

He glances at a clawed hand, which he finds himself lowering, before turning to it and replying:
    "I do"
    Do all big-snouteded pinkskins carry this muchf coutrage?, he muses.

As his awareness shifts to the presents and away from his emotions, he realises that his instincts are guiding him away from where the strangers had come from.
    Remembering that the strangers were fleeing from some creature called 'drow' in pinkspeech. He could not recall any beast which bore that name as part of the balance.

While he felt no fear, a glance behind reminds him his packmates were in dire need of rest. Sethra's death was a certainty.. but it would be delayed for now.

*The lizardkin turns and marches to the back of his group after looking at Thokk and starts to trudge onwards. He stops to lock his eyes on Fizahn and indicates Thokk before marching into the gloom *
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

28. - Top - End - #28

Achkby, Halfling

In spite of myself, I find Lumpy's arguments winning me over. The Underdark is a dangerous place. I can't afford to just follow these people around anymore. Survival takes work here, and while it doesn't matter if these people find whatever it is they're looking for, I want to get out of here alive. We had better get moving.

"Ay, the gnomes have the right of it. Let's get moving."

He walks forward until he is closer to the strangers than he is to his own party, slipping the spear away as he does so. Its light radiates from just behind his head, throwing long shadows all around the tunnel.
    He looks back at all of the tall people standing behind him, and nods slowly.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy looks almost relieved that they've decided to get moving, if not a little irritated that everybody attributes the idea to the gnomes. he remains silent, however, letting his flail drop slightly as he passes through the gap left by the lizardman's departure, taking long strides in his uneven gait.

30. - Top - End - #30

Elthan the Second, Twin Sorcerer

*Elthan follows the lizards lead and begins to march beside him. He walks beside him for a while without saying anything.*

*In Draconic, quite softly.*
    "Lizard, I saw the way you looked back there when they spoke. The unknowing glance of a foriegner to another speech. You have been showing this or quite some time now. I understand that you do not have as much knowlage of common speech as a natural would, but if you would allow me, I would help you better understand that language."

*Elthan back up behind the lizard to his position beside Elthan, and lets the lizaard consider his offer as the groups walk.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar