New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Taern Torminson

*Taern stands at the ready*

I'll follow the rest of you guys, when you make up your mind.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thokk shrugs and begins to push the stone block farther down the south passage. Stone grinds on stone until the block has almost been pushed into the next room.

Suddenly, Elthan places his hand on Thokk's shoulder. "Shhhhh!"

Elthan whispers, "I thought I heard something..."

As everyone listens carefully, a faint skittering can be heard coming from the next room.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, it be time to take out some beasties!"

*Hefts sword*

OOC: Readies action to meet whatever is comming

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White
    "I am sorry I'll have to back out but I've depleted my magics in healing you and I will be more of a hindrance than help in the oncoming battle. I will have to stay behind. Again, I am sorry."
    Linda seems quite frustrated that her energies are depleted and can't join this battle.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Halfling in the Playground

Elthan:

*Takes out his shortspear and casts mage armor. He then says not too loudly:*

"Alright, let's be quiet about this..."

*He then puts his hands on the stone block and signals Thokk to push with him.*
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

6. - Top - End - #366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern laughs in anticipation as she unslings her greataxe, standing square in the middle of the corridor, ready to slip around the stone block and charge whatever is making the odd noises*

7. - Top - End - #367

Graevic - Human

* Graevic listens quietly for a moment, looks slightly confused, then gently shakes his head. *

He whispers, "I do not recognize the sounds."

* As everyone prepares, Graevic slips his shield off his arm and attaches it to his pack, freeing his left arm for easier movement. *

8. - Top - End - #368

Elthan and Thokk push the block all the way into the chamber.

The room is similar in appearance to the north room, except there are no laughing statues. There are a few small holes between the stones that make up the ceiling dome. Thin shafts of daylight pierce the darkness straight downward, dimly illuminating the chamber.

The "chittering" is louder now. You see small dark creatures flitting about. Bats?

Elthan recognizes them first, "Stirges!" he exclaims.

OOC: Please submit initiative rolls and actions.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"By Moradins Beard, Giant Bats?"

*looks at everyone else*

"Lets squish them all"

10. - Top - End - #370

Thokk wades into the middle of the room swinging his sword in great arcs. He catches one of the stirges in mid air, and the small creature explodes into a bloody spray.

Elthan thrusts at the flying beasts as they flit past, but they nimbly avoid the point of his spear.

Taern and Graevic stand to either side of the door; Taern in amazement, Graevic because he is having trouble making out the small flying beasts in the gloom. Fizahns edges along the curved wall, rapier at the ready, but the stirges seems to be primarily focused on Thokk in the center of the room.

Even with one stirge eliminated, there are still at least six more in the air. Two latch on to Thokk. Ignoring his armor, they plunge their probosces repeatedly between his armor plates seeking flesh. He feels each sting as both find small openings and start sucking greedily...

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ha Ha HA, help me get these little things off."

12. - Top - End - #372

Thokk spins around, trying to get at the stirges on his back. He swats his back with his sword, hitting one, but not dislodging it. He manages to intercept another stirge as it dives in to the attack, cutting it in half.

Fizahn darts in and cleanly thrusts straight through the second stirge attached to Thokk. Its legs release, leaving the stirge neatly spitted on Fizahn's rapier.

Elthan and Taern move into the center of the room, but the 5 or 6 remaining stirges circle above them, just out of reach of their weapons.

Graevic pulls out a sunrod and, striking it against the wall, he lights it, flooding the chamber with intense bright light.

The stirge attached to Thokk drinks greedily, and Thokk feels his vitality begin to be sapped.

OOC: Thokk hits one stirge attached to him and kills a second on an AOO. Fizahn criticals the other stirge attached to Thokk. Graevic uses a sunrod so that he can see what is happening. The attached stirge causes 3 points of CON damage to Thokk.

13. - Top - End - #373

Thokk beats again at the stirge clinging to his back, but due to the awkward angle, his blow glances off harmlessly.

Elthan waits until Thokk's back is to him, then he blasts the stirge with a magic missile. It detaches and falls to the ground, twitching.

Graevic swings his shield around to his back and holds his sunrod aloft with his left hand, at the same time, he mutters some words, and a ball of flame appears in his open right palm.

You all peer upward, along with Fizahn and Taern. You count 6 stirges flitting about the ceiling dome (about 15 or 20 feet high) trying to stay out of reach. They seem to pose no immediate danger; in fact, they seem quite afraid of your large group, chittering and squeaking concernedly.

Your gaze returns to the floor of the chamber, which is coated with several inches of stirge guano, likely the product of many generations of these magical beasts.

Rising up in the center of the room is another sarcophagus, not unlike the one in the north chamber. If this one was adorned with any carvings or inscriptions, you'd never know it thanks to the stirge droppings.

OOC: Please check the OOC thread when you get a chance.

14. - Top - End - #374

Graevic - Human

* Graevic watches the striges closely, as if waiting for their impending attack, the ball of flame crackling angrily in his right palm. He quickly glances down to the thick covering of guano over the floor and sarcophagus, his nose wrinkling slightly. *

"Watch where you step."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern unslings her longbow*

What say we try and pin a few of the beasties while they arnt trying to suck out our blood, eh?

*Taern knocks an arrow, takes aim, and lets fly*

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Woo, I need to sit down for a minute, I am feeling a tad woozie"

17. - Top - End - #377

Elthan:

"We should indeed try and shoot them out of the sky while they are far away."

*He takes hold of his cross bow, loads it and shoots at the stirges.*
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

18. - Top - End - #378

Thokk, slightly dizzy from blood loss, sits down for a moment, just as Taern and Elthan let fly. Both arrow and bolt find their marks - Taern slays a stirge outright, which flutters to the ground, impaled; Elthan punches a hole through the wing of a second stirge.

In response, the flock dives to the attack. Elthan and Taern are each beset by two stirges. The wounded stirge (perhaps having trouble keeping airborne) makes the mistake of gliding a little too close to Thokk, who lashes out with his sword and (even from his seated position) neatly slices one of the stirge's wings off completely. The stirge spirals into a wall, falls to the ground and is still.

Taern and Elthan drop their weapons and frantically try to beat away the stirges with their hands. Taern fends off one stirge, only to have the second one grip her right arm tightly and plunge its proboscis deep into her shoulder. Elthan likewise manages to avoid one stirge, but is "caught" by the second stirge suffering several deep lacerations in the process.

Graevic stands close to Fizahn who is ignoring the melee and is already focusing on the guano-coated sarcophagus. The flame dances in Graevic's hand as he ponders whether to assist Elthan and Taern or whether to protect Fizahn.

OOC: By my count, 5 stirges have been killed (including one by an AOO I owed Thokk); 4 remain (including one attached to Taern and one attached to Elthan). Elthan takes a hit.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

Augh! Get the beast off of me! Gross!

*shudders, and attempts to rip off the bat-sized bug and crush it into a goo*

Die, thing! Die!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

Seeing the others are indecisive, Linda decides to help Taern and Elthan shrug off the bats. She doesn't use her quarterstaff out of fear of wounding Taern or Elthan and instead tries to send the bats away by casting light on a small stone and holding it as near the bats as she can get.

OOC: Forgot I still had my 0 level spells when Daring Rogue said I had depleted my energies. I could have made this bat-fight much easier by blinding the bats :-[

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

21. - Top - End - #381

Graevic - Human

* Looks surprised as Elthan and Taern fire bolt and arrow into the stirge swarm. At Taern's yell, Graevic rushes to her and grabs for the stirge on her arm with the hand holding the ball of flame *

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Hold still Lass, I dont want to hack off your arm!"

23. - Top - End - #383

As Taern reaches for the stirge on her arm, it reacts by stabbing her in the hand with its proboscis, then it plunges right back into her shoulder.

Elthan draws a dagger and stabs his stirge, which reacts only by gripping more tightly.

Thokk smashes the stirge on Taern's arm with the flat of his sword (so as to minimize damage to Taern), then Graevic reaches over and sears the stirge with his hand. The flames char the small creature and it drops away. The second stirge meanwhile manages to latch on to the back of Taern's thigh, biting deeply.

Meanwhile, Elthan begins to feel a little lightheaded as his stirge drinks greedily. Linda (who decided to enter the chamber after all) illuminates the stirge by holding her glowing rock right next to it. She can actually see Elthan's crimson blood flow into the translucent belly of the stirge. The second stirge takes the opportunity to latch on to her exposed neck, plunging its proboscis into her scalp.

Fizahn meanwhile continues to examine the sarcophagus closely, grateful that he is able to work without interruption.

OOC: Taern's grapple fails when the stirge succeeds on its AOO (but her Fort save succeeds). Thokk and Graevic both hit, disabling the stirge. The second stirge attaches to Taern. Elthan scores a hit on his stirge but takes 2 CON damage. Linda fails her AOO and takes a hit as a stirge attaches to her. Six stirges down, three to go - one stirge is attached to Taern, Elthan, and Linda each.

24. - Top - End - #384

Graevic - Human

* Seeing that Taern is being assisted by Thokk, Graevic turns his attention to the stirge that has attached itself to Linda. Again, he reaches for the stirge with the flaming ball in his hand. *

25. - Top - End - #385

Taern hops on one leg desperately and grabs the stirge behind her knee with both hands and starts trying to wrestle it off of her leg. It flutters its wings and tightens its grip with its claws. Thokk waits for an opening, aims carefully, and whacks the stirge with his sword, almost knocking Taern off balance, but still the stirge simply refuses to die.

Elthan, for the moment on his own, meanwhile continues to thrust his stirge again and again with his dagger. Stubbornly, the beast refuses to let go and continues sucking even as Elthan's blood streams out of the punctures in the stirge's body.

Linda thrashes about desperately, trying to reach the stirge stuck to her neck. Graevic reaches out and grabs the stirge with his right hand. The stirge starts to sizzle, but it does not release its grip.

Fizahn, oblivious to the chaotic scene around him, continues to study the sarcophagus carefully. Without looking up he calls out, "I could use a little more light here, eh?"

OOC: Taern grapples the stirge and it takes a hit from Thokk. Elthan's stirge also takes a second hit. Graevic inficts a hit on Linda's stirge. CON damage from blood loss: Taern 1 point (CON 11), Elthan 2 points (CON 7), Linda 3 points (CON 11). Thokk's CON is still at 13.

26. - Top - End - #386

Taern rips the stirge off of her leg and throws it to the ground, where Thokk impales it on the point of his bastard sword.

Elthan finally peels off his stirge with his dagger. He throws it to the ground and stamps on it in disgust.

The flame in Graevic's hand flickers out, so he reaches for his scimitar. Meanwhile Linda beats at the stirge on her neck with her glowing rock as it continues to drink, giving Graevic no opening.

Sated, the stirge drops away from Linda's neck, only to be cut neatly in half by Graevic's blade.

Weakened and pale, Thokk, Taern, Elthan, and Linda lean against the walls or slip down to their knees, bleeding from multiple puncture wounds.

Nobody speaks for a few moments. Suddenly, Fizahn shouts, "Woo hoo!" Triumphantly he jumps up onto the lid of the sarcophagus, having discovered and disabled a mechanical trap. Finally noticing his bloody comrades he raises his eyebrows, "What in the hells happened to you guys?"

OOC: Taern succeeds at opposed grapple check. Thokk kills the stirge. Elthan disables his stirge. Graevic's spell expires; his attack misses. Linda attacks with her rock, but does no damage. Linda loses another point of CON (down to 10). In the following round, the stirge detaches and is killed by Graevic.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quick recap: You decided to enter the southern chamber, which turned out to be infested with stirges. Provoked by Taern and Elthan, the stirges attacked en masse, resulting in significant blood loss to Thokk, Taern, Elthan, and Linda. Meanwhile, Fizahn managed to disable a trap on the sarcophagus in the center of the room.

Fizahn has Thokk help him remove the lid off of the sarcophagus. Fizahn points to several fragile, opaque glass cylinders at the corners of the coffin. If the sarcophagus had been opened the wrong way, the cylinders likely would have shattered releasing some no doubt noxious compound.

There is something different about the skeleton in this coffin. The skull and upper body look humanoid, but there is no pelvis and no legs. Instead, the vertebrae continue down, creating a long tail, with thin vestigial ribs forming a snake like lower body.

The skeleton shows no signs of having been dressed when buried. There is an amulet that still lies on the corpse's sternum. It appears to have been made out of some shiny reptilian scales. A glittering blue-green gem appears to have been placed in the skeleton's mouth. Otherwise, the coffin is bare.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

Ugh! What in Tymora's good name is -that- abomination? Some poor soul twisted by foul magics! *shudders* Please, put the lid back on. It's not... natural.

*Takes a step back, then leans on the wall*

29. - Top - End - #389
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"My Moradin's Beard"

*Makes sign of the hammer*

"Looks like some hideous snake person. Well, looks like he isnt going to be needing this amulet any more, and that gem...."

*Stares into the gem for a minute before rousing himself and putting both item in his pack along with the other items found earlier*

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

Linda sits back while the others explore-obviously exhausted by both the blood loss and her magical energies being depleted. She takes some deep breaths to recover slightly then speaks out to the others. Her voice is not as loud as usual-it is obvious that her recent misfortune at the trap and the battle have taken their toll:

"I think that before advancing we need to rest for awhile. I am quite tired and I won't be able to help us with my magic if we get hurt in yet another combat or trap. I suggest we finish exploring this chamber then close the entrance again and sleep until we recover. Would that be OK with the rest of you? "