New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Graevic

"Perhaps the two lightest should go down last, adding their weight to the log to prevent anyone from falling? While the fall would probably hurt us, I don't relish the idea of the log falling atop me once I've landed. Not to mention we would then have to find another way out, if such a thing exists."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*thinks a moment, then gets behind the log, holding it*

Thokk, you go ahead and go first.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thokk shrugs, slings his shield on his back, and starts lowering himself down the shaft. He is almost to the bottom when he loses his grip and crashes to the floor, his armor clanging noisily. He is bruised but not seriously injured.

He finds himself in an empty circular room, 20 ft in diameter with an 8 foot ceiling. Graevic's shattered sunrod lights the room brightly, but as Thokk looks around, he sees no exits.

OOC: Thokk's Climb checks (DC 5): 6, 13, 13, 8, -3, 13. Damage from 10 ft fall: 4. Thokk's current hit points: 28.

4. - Top - End - #454

Graevic

Graevic looks concerned when he hears the thump, though is relieved to see Thokk moving within the light of the broken sunrod. Eyeing the rope, he kneels down and whispers to Aholoh, which bounds out of the barrow. He then slings his shield across his shoulders and grabs the rope. He nods to Taern to prepare her, and slips over the edge into the dimly lit hole.

[OOC: Aholoh will hang out around the entrance, keeping an eye on the horses. If anything looks like it's going to enter, he'll try to scare it away, but will try to avoid combat.]

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, I am not very used to climbing down ropes like this. I am the lightest-I should go last. We can drop heavy metal items like shields and armor without having to carry them, to make the descend easier. I don't think they would break from such a fall"

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

6. - Top - End - #456

Only Thokk was heavily armored. The rest of the party cautiously but successfully descends the rope. Linda is second to last, and Fizahn is the last to descend.

Aholoh peers over the edge of the hole down at Graevic, sniffing. Then he shuffles away to keep an eye on the barrow entrance.

This round room is completely empty. There are no doorways or passageways except for the vertical shaft you just descended through.

The stonework of the room is the same as in the barrow above - high quality, but not exceptional to Thokk's eyes. There is a thin layer of dust on the floor, presumably undisturbed for centuries.

7. - Top - End - #457

Graevic

"Not quite what I was expecting."

Graevic makes a slow circuit of the room, examining the walls and floor with a practiced eye, paying close attention to any dust that might have been disturbed (other than by his companions).

[ooc: Search Check (+7)]

8. - Top - End - #458

Elthan:

*Elthan casts a detect magic spell and aims it at the wall. He tries to detect magical auras close beyond the wall, proving there has to be a secret doorway. He slowly circles the rooms, facing the wall, and he will stop and wait the 3 rounds to have to most information possible if he stumbles across a magical aura.*
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

9. - Top - End - #459

Elthan rotates 360 degrees, scanning the entire circumference of the round room, but he detects no magic auras.

Meanwhile, Graevic stalks the perimeter, carefully searching for any secret openings. He notes that the layer of dust is uniform, except where disturbed by the other party members. His careful search is rewarded by his discovering a fine crack in the wall. Tracing the crack with his finger he is able to outline a small 3 ft x 6 ft doorway.

10. - Top - End - #460

Graevic

"Here, I found a door"

Graevic steps away from the door, giving Fizahn room to inspect it.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern, axe in hand, stands protectively watching Fizhan as he examines the door, ready to leap into combat at a moments notice*

"Be careful, Fizhan. More than likely, opening that door will set off half a dozen diabolical traps. The passage beyond is probably filled to the brim with restless dead. Heck, I wouldnt be suprized if the ancient necromancer was back there, twisted with power.

*Taern hums softly to herself*

12. - Top - End - #462

Fizahn approaches the doorway cautiously, spending a minute or so simply scanning the doorway and the surrounding wall and floors. As soon as he lightly touches the door, however, it suddenly falls backward, as if shoved with great force.

Instead of crashing to the ground, the stone door neatly collapses into a recess in the floor behind it with a quiet snick. The door fits so neatly into the floor that it becomes almost invisible again. Only a slight concavity gives it away.

When the door opens, a blast of cold air pours into the room, stirring up the long undisturbed dust. You all cough and squint as your vision is temporarily obscured by the fine powder swirling around the room. Thokk sneezes. In only a few moments, however, the pressure gradient seems to equalize and the dust begins to settle, leaving a bitter, almost floral, taste in each of your mouths.

An unlit passageway is revealed behind the secret door. The passage is low ceilinged (6 ft high) but wide (15 ft). The passage itself is dark and the air still filled somewhat by dust, but there is literally light at the end of the tunnel - a small open doorway can be seen about 120 ft away. The room beyond the doorway appears to be brightly lit.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern whipes her dust-filled eyes clear, then boldly steps out into the passage*

Hello? Undead? Come and face us, scum!

*Taern starts down the passage at an easy walk, swinging her axe in front of her, eyes trained on the bright light*

You! The necromancer in there! Dont make me cut you to pieces, slimeball!

14. - Top - End - #464

Neither zombie nor skeleton rises to meet Taern's challenge. Instead, a dark humanoid figure steps into the passageway from the opposite end. He (she?) is silhouetted against the brightly lit doorway, but even through the swirling dust and shadows, Taern can make out ebony skin, platinum hair, pointed pinnae, and the glint of bared steel.

OOC: Initiative for Taern: 16 (15 + 1).

15. - Top - End - #465
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern hefts her axe, attempting a front of bravade, but inwardly she shrinks. Stopping dead, she glares fiercely at the figure.*

"You there! I'll have you know that me and my friends are about to savagely cut you down if you take but one more step towards us, so I'd suggest you drop your weapon and come... slowly... towards us. In fact we are about to mount a charge and cut you to pieces. So you'd better watch yourself!"

Thokk, get up here! Thokk, get up here! I cant take this thing on my own

OOC: Intimidate +2

16. - Top - End - #466

Taern's words have the desired effect, and the dark elf stops 100 ft from her, weapon ready. This gives the rest of the party time to join Taern.

However, the drow elf is not alone either. More figures enter the hall at the other end. At least one more drow, and a few of other humanoids block the far end of the passage. Of special note is what appears to be a bald gray-skinned dwarf. You have heard rumors of such creatures from the Underdark - duergar!

OOC: I need to know who will be in the front row and who will be in the back (two rows of three).

17. - Top - End - #467
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

"Oops!"

18. - Top - End - #468

Elthan:

*Elthan stays behind Taern. He loads his crossbow and casts magic armor on himself. Instead of aiming his crossbow, he attaches it to his belt.*

"Maybe we can resolve this peacefuly."

*He then steps up in front of the group and says:*

"Hi there! We mean you no arm! My friend here wasn't serious when she said we were ready to charge you! We are wondering from where you come, since we came through what seemed to us the only point of entry?"

OOC: +9 diplomacy, he will first try to say this in common, and then, if he gets no response, he will try elvish and then draconic.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

19. - Top - End - #469

The other group seems as surprised to see you as you are to see them, but they hold their ground.

You see one of the drow make some arcane gestures, and several of the beast-like humanoids ready their weapons, including a couple of crossbows. The duergar, standing in front of the others, fingers his weapon anxiously and looks like he is ready to charge.

The tension mounts as they respond neither to common, standard elvish, nor draconic. They seem to whisper quietly to each other, however, as if deciding what to do next.

Thokk growls under his breath. "Ach, that's enough diplomacy you pansies. I say we take these guys now." He readies himself to charge.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

"Oddly enough, Thokk, I believe we're in agreement.

REAAARRRRGG!!!"

OOC: Charge and Power Attack for 2, +5 attack 1d12+5 damage

21. - Top - End - #471

Taern and Thokk (in a rare moment of unity) charge almost shoulder to shoulder toward the drow/duergar/orc party. The lead drow and the duergar meet their charge with one of their own. All four collide in the center point of the passageway.

Taern times her charge perfectly and feels her axe bite deeply into the drow's side. Unfortunately, the dark elf also finds an opening and wounds Taern grievously. Spots swim before Taern's eyes from the excruciating pain as flesh and bone give way to steel.

Thokk and the duergar practically bounce off each other initially, then they immediately start to hack away at each other. They find themselves evenly matched; their swords clash and spark, but neither draws blood.

OOC: Taern's charge/power attack (vs AC 13): 25 (20 + 5) - hit. Threatened critical: 11 (6 + 5) - fails. Taern's damage: 16 (11 + 5). Thokk's charge (vs AC 19): 16 (7 + 9). Taern takes 16 points of damage (current HP: 12).

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Enraged to the point of recklessness by the blow, Taern swings wildly and recklessly, screaming a war-chant*

Scum! Dark-skinned filth! You shall fall to the power of my steel!

You shall know pain, sweet, quick death!
    Ancestors lend me strength in my fight,
    I shall cleave through my enemies
    Like a knife through bread
    All shall fall in my path,
    Behind is a wake of bodies.
    You shall know no foe like me!
    Filth, your life is over!
    MEET MY AXE!

Kill them! Kill them! DIE!

OOC: Power attacking for 2 points (+3 attack for 1d12+5 damage)

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White
    Seeing that the enemy are underdark dwellers Linda smiles. She speaks a few words and out of the end of her staff a bright light ensues.

OOC: If enemy is close enough I cast light on my staff. If they are further away I again cast light and move near the enemy being careful to stay in the second line.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

24. - Top - End - #474

Graevic

Graevic, standing back with Linda, sees the brutal hit given to Taern. He quickly moves up to near Taern, chanting and gesturing, he then gently places his hand on her body, infusing her with healing energy.

[See OOC thread for intentions]

25. - Top - End - #475
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC])

Fizahn, gnome:

*Fizahn looks for an opening between Taern and the dark elf and lets a bolt fly, shouting an almost almost fearsome battle cry.*

(In Draconic) "Death and destruction rain upon you horrid beings!"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:00 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #476

Taern and Thokk remain locked in combat with the drow warrior and the duergar. Powerful blows are parried and countered on both sides. Taern's chanting is punctuated by the clang of steel on steel.

Linda raises her staff and light floods the area.

Now that he can see what is going on, Graevic boldly steps forward and places his hand on Taern's back as she fights, soothing her pain, but only partially staunching the flow of blood from her side.

Fizahn fires a crossbow bolt toward the melee, but the missle glances off of the low ceiling, almost hitting Thokk in the back.

Elthan moves forward, but avoids becoming embroiled in the melee itself. With a word and a gesture, he blasts the drow warrior engaged in combat with Taern.

One of the orcs in the back row, a female with pendulous breasts and stringy black hair, raises a twisted staff of her own, and illuminates their end of the hallway with a sickly purplish green glow.

A second orc moves forward to lay a hand on the drow warrior in support. What sorcery he might be using is unknown to you.

Now that the entire area can be seen more clearly, a small bald figure with gray-brown rock-colored skin can be seen in the back row. He is more slight of build than the duergar. He raises a crossbow and fires, but misses.

Just as Taern feels some strength flow into her body from Graevic's touch, the drow mage steps forward and sears her with two purple energy bolts.

OOC: Graevic casts CLW, healing 6 points of damage. Elthan hits the drow warrior with two magic missiles for a total of 7 points of damage. Taern is struck by two magic missiles from the drow wizard (Taern's hit points at the end of the round: 11).

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing Taern heavily wounded Linda will use her magic to heal her if she can.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn,gnome:

*Fizahn puts away his crossbow in disgust and draws his rapier, heading towards the melee.*
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

29. - Top - End - #479

Thokk crows triumphantly as his bastard sword cleaves past the duergar's defences and cuts deeply. The duergar counters with a mighty slash of his own, hitting Thokk's armored shoulder cleanly, fracturing his clavicle.

Taern, buoyed by her own war chant, slashes the drow warrior diagonally from shoulder to hip. The drow warrior, ebony skin and armor now crimson stained, desperately slashes back before collapsing, opening up a deep wound on Taern's torso.

Taern staggers backward, but is caught by Linda who, holding aloft her illuminated staff in one hand, uses the other hand to pass just enough healing energy to keep the wild elf conscious.

Graevic steps forward into Taern's place, arcane words on his lips - an explosion of light bursts in front of the drow wizard's face just as he was about to raise a crossbow to fire. Dazzled, the drow wizard winces and turns his face away; his crossbow shot flies wide.

The female orc (holding the crooked glowing staff) catches the drow warrior as she falls backward, while the male orc shaman steps up into the front row, scimitar in hand. With a grunt, he casts flare directly into Elthan's face. Elthan is momentarily blinded, and his crossbow bolt misses by a mile.

Meanwhile, Fizahn creeps up to the melee, attempting to flank the duergar fighter, only to see that his deep gnome counterpart seems to have had a similar idea. A quick exchange of lunges, parries, and unsuccessful ripostes demonstrates that both gnomes have some skill with the rapier.

OOC: Thokk's attack (vs AC 21): 25 (18 + 7). Damage: 10 (8 + 2). Taern's attack (vs AC 15): 17 (13 + 3 + 1). Damage: 9 (3 + 5 +1). Linda casts CLW: 5 (2 + 3) points healed. Thokk takes 10 points of damage (current HP 18). Taern takes 9 points of damage (current HP 7).

Front line now consists of Thokk, Graevic, and Fizahn (opposed by the duergar, the orc shaman, and the svirfneblin). Directly behind them are Taern (gravely wounded), and Linda. Elthan is slightly farther back, out of melee (but dazzled).

EDIT: I forgot to add +1 to Taern's damage due to her inspire courage effect on herself. Also, I corrected Thokk's hit points to account for the points he lost when he fell off the rope.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Almost howling with digust at her "weakness", Taern tosses aside her greataxe and quickly draws her longbow, knocking and firing an arrow at the drow mage*

Rrrrrgghhh!!! Dammit! Die!

OOC: +4 attack for 1d8+2 damage