Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 1091
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "If it is as hungry as I am right now it would have attacked a whole whompin' Village! Now someone help me take down this Beastie"

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk and Fizahn call out to each other in the darkness. The dark fog is surprisingly extensive, forming a rough circle 80 ft in diameter.

    Fizahn, trying to move as quietly as possible, can hear Thokk stumbling around, grumbling about "cowardly pansies." He keeps his distance, not wanting to become an accidental victim of Thokk's indescriminate slashing. Fizahn can barely make out the faint glow of his everylasting torch, even though it is only an arm's length away.

    Ephiliastokles continues his courageous rear guard action. Clutching his ranseur, he eyes the mist uneasily, as do his dogs as they continue barking.

    (End of round 3.)

    Thokk knows that Fizahn is in the mist somewhere with him, but he can localize neither that sneaky gnome nor any "beasties." He swings his bastard sword in big circles, growing increasingly pissed off.

    Philodus cuts free the last two horses, and they gallop off into the night, away from the unnatural mist. Nervous, Philodus calls out, "Get out of there!" and starts edging away from the mist.

    Elthan, edges forward until he is standing slightly behind and off to the side of Philodus. He continues staring into the mist. It radiates evocation magic, but it seems to be fading. The small moving form radiating abjuration magic, he realizes, is Fizahn.

    Fizahn continues to strain his ears, yet can still not discern any noises other than those produced by his dwarf compatriot.

    Ephiliastokles shushes his dogs and peers warily behind him and off to the sides to be sure no person or creature is sneaking up on the party from the opposite direction.

    (End of round 4.)

    An uneasy silence descends on the whole camp, punctuated only by the occasional profanity from Thokk as he continues to wander through the dark mist...


    OOC: Finishing up round 3...

    Fizahn attempts to Move Silently and Listen. Ephiliastokles (NPC) continues to hold a readied attack action.

    Round 4 begins...

    Thokk continues to hunt for "beastie" unsuccessfully. Philodus cuts loose the horses and calls out. Elthan moves 10 ft forward and continues to Detect Magic. He is now able to determine the nature of the magic auras he had detected last round. Fizahn continues to Listen and Move Silently. Ephiliastokles (NPC) quiets his dogs and continues to guard the rear.

    Round 4 completed.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "ACH, YOU FETHING BETTER HAVE NOT RELEASED MY HORSE! After this creature if i do not get my horse back you are next!"

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Slowly, over the next few minutes, the dark fog dissolves, leaving Thokk and Fizahn standing bewildered in the brush just outside the grove of trees. Fizahn's pony is not here. There are signs of a struggle, then a bloody trail that was left as the pony was apparently dragged away. The trail leads away from the camp, roughly in the direction of the Wetwoods, the bog the party had just left behind.

    Between the confusion surrounding the surprise attack and the mysterious, unnatural darkness, whatever attacked the pony seems to have made a clean getaway.

    It is still a moonless night, and dawn is several hours away yet. Thanks to Philodus' bullseye lantern, and Fizahn's and Thokk's excellent low light vision, however, it takes only about an hour to retrieve the remaining horses and pony. They had in general run only a few hundred yards away and, in the absence of immediate danger, were contentedly grazing as if nothing particularly exciting had just occurred.

    Thankfully, no one has been hurt (except for Fizahn's pony of course). Too wired to sleep, the party is left to wonder what kind of creature or creatures attacked them and for what reason.



    OOC: The darkness dissipates. The creature(s) is (are) not here, having snuck away immediately after the surprise round.


  5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "Well, this is unfortunate. We lost a pony and have only a blood trail to show for it."

    We are closing in on the village. We can still carry everything and move with a good pace without the pony... Its not like if the pony has a good chance of being found alive anyway. And we will likely be able to buy one at the next village. There is no sense going to look for the pony. We might as well continue tonight, I don't think anyone will feel safe after what happened.

    "I think we should forget about the pony and move on. I don't know about you but I don't want to sleep here tonight. I suggest we go to the next village and recuperate at the inn."

    Still a creature with magic powerful enough to blind us like it did, it intrigues me.

    "Whatever we do, i'm not sleeping here tonight."

    *He unloads his crossbow and puts the bolt in the quiver that is now tied to his left leg. He then hangs his shortspear in his back, his crossbow on the back of his belt, hidden by his cloak. He then puts on the belt with his 5 daggers across his chest. He rolls his bedroll and straps it to his backpack.*

    OOC: Is my horse sleeping?
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    All of the horses and the remaining pony are standing around, alternately dozing or grazing.



    OOC: Just so we are all on the same page, my assumption was that Fizahn's ponies were Medium-sized creatures (not Large creatures like the horses). The creature snatched the smaller of the two ponies. The pony that was taken weighed about 250 to 300 lbs. By contrast, Thokk's large warhorse probably weighs about 1000 lbs.

    The next village is approximately 3 hours away. If everyone agrees to break camp, you can reach the village shortly after daybreak.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "I told you laddies to keep moving, and nobody listened"

    *Mounts Warhorse*

    "I saw we move out and get to town, fast. Ill ride point. Lets go"

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *He put his saddle back on his horse, with his bags and all the equipement. He then mounts his horse.*

    "How are we going to compensate for the pony?"

    I don't think my horse can keep his swift pace with more weight on him, but then again he wasn't moving at full pace to follow the rest of the group.

    "My horse can take some more weight on his back."
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    "Maybe I can carry a little. My pack won't take much more, but it's something.

    Let's get out of here. I want to be behind solid walls before I sleep again."
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "The gnome could ride in the cart, i'm sure the horse will be able to pull 5 pounds more."

    *Smiles*

    "He can just pack his other pony with his stuff."

    OCC: We sould have a walking pattern, since it could have an effect on a battle if there is one while we ride.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk

    "Me warhorse Soul-Hammer can carry almost anything you guys have, isnt that right, Hammer?"

    *Gently Scratches Horses Left ear"

    "Ill ride in front, keepin an eye out. The wagon should go in the middle, with the gnome ready to take action. Someone behind the wagon watching out for trouble and we should be set. Sound good? If you dont agree with me then you are wrong. Lets go."

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk the dwarf leads the way, atop his mighty steed, Soul-Hammer. Fizahn throws some of his gear on the back of Ephiliastokles' cart, then follows on his (remaining) riding pony. Philodus, horseless, walks briskly alongside Fizahn's pony. Ephiliastokles is next, seated with his dogs in his horse-drawn cart. Elthan brings up the rear, mounted on his light warhorse.

    No one is much in the mood for small talk. Several hours pass quietly as the sun rises. It is mid-morning by the time a sign along the road welcomes you to Mimleth. An arrow pointing back the way you came reads, “Ormath 120 mi.” Another arrow points in the opposite direction, “Hlondeth 175 mi.”

    This small village (pop. 150 – really more of a hamlet) is little more than a few dozen small thatched cottages lining either side of the road to Hlondeth. Fields of grain and grapes stretch away from the road north and south. Other than split wood fences separating property and livestock, there is are no barriers to entering Mimleth.

    Your party proceeds to the center of the village where some larger buildings line a village green, which surrounds the common well. A blacksmith, stable, and inn/tavern are easily identifiable. A large barn apparently serves as a mill, grain storage, and (one might assume) a winery. Three smaller, non-descript buildings bear signs identifying them as shops of a fletcher (a bow and 3 arrows), an herbalist (a potion bottle), and a provisioner (a boar's head). There is no church or chapel in evidence.

    The village is apparently quite used to adventurers traveling along the road to Hlondeth. The party elicits neutral nods from adult villagers and a more enthusiastic welcome from the local children and stray dogs who exchange enthusiatic barks with Ephiliastokles' guard dogs.


    OOC: Ephiliastokles' cart slows the party down considerably. Travelling at only 2 mph, the group arrives in Mimleth around 9 o'clock.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk

    "Ah, now it be time for some eatin'! Lets spend some time getting everything together, im ravished."

    *Goes into nearest eatery*


  14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "We need a place to put our mounts."

    *Looks at a local.*

    "Is the a stable where we could leave our horses..and the pony?"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The peasant nods, pointing out the stable (one of the larger buildings surrounding the village green).


    OOC: For simplicity, I would propose 3 gp per day per person should cover lodging at the inn, simple meals, and boarding for the horses/pony. Other expenses can be calculated separately.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Although fairly tired from last night's events, Philodus isn't the least bit sleepy. Between the memory of the pony's scream and the dwindling recollection of his most recent nightmare, the thought of resting isn't particularly appealing.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "Ah, just bought me 2 gallons of ale. If you dont mind, I will now drink that experience away. If anyone wants to join me, just pull up a tankard"

    *Takes a deep Pull*

    "Also, if anyone needs any weapons made or worked on, now would be the time. I got the tools and iron ready"

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Your business finished for the day, you retire to the tavern (the Black Salamander) in the evening to eat a late dinner and to relax by the fireplace.

    The Black Salamander is just another tavern, not unlike a hundred taverns you've been in before on your adventures. When you first arrive, only the barkeep, polishing up some steins, is there to greet you, but once the sun sets, a dozen or so of the male villagers start to filter in.

    They mostly keep to themselves, taking most of the central tables. You can't help overhearing their conversations, many of which refer to the recent mysterious disappearances of some sheep and calves from some of the outlying farms.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *He walks over to the villagers.*

    "I'm sorry but I couldn't help overhear. And have a question about these disappearances. Is there a trail of blood left behind or do the animals simply disappear?"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    *joins Elthan and the villagers*

    "We were attacked last night by something that made off with one of our ponies. Do you think the same creature might have taken your livestock?"
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The villagers report that, although they usually found signs of a struggle and some blood left behind at the scenes, in general there was no trail leading away from the disappearances.

    On the other hand, the animals snatched from the villagers were either small sheep or young calves, much smaller than Fizahn's pony was.

    The attacks had begun about a month ago, and they all occurred at night, so the villagers had set up a night watch a few days ago (a rotating group of men circling the edge of the village with torches and a signal horn). Since then, there had been no abductions near the village.

    The villagers are surprised to hear that a pony was taken from your camp. "Whatever it is, it's getting bolder!" observes one villager. "Or more desperate...," says another.

    One villager, more inebriated than the others, mumbles about how he was out relieving himself one night when, "I saw the thing! It was a dark cloud that snatched up a lamb, right in front of my eyes!" He is roundly laughed at by the other villagers.

    The leading theory among the villagers is that it's some kind of swamp beast from the Wetwoods. A few tracks had been observed at some of the attack sites. "Twice as big as my hand! Claws too!"


  22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    It is the same thing that attacked us! This isn't good at all...

    "Don't laugh. Whatever attacked our camp was hidden by a cloud of darkness, too. The light from my lantern barely pierced it.

    I think it was magical."
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Turning from her nearly empty mug of ale, Taern closely regards the group, eyes lingering over Elthan, especially.*

    Perhaps these people, adventurers by the looks, know more of those animals I saw floating in that pond, in the middle of the marsh. Waterlogged, no good for eating by elves, but they might have been killed by some great beast. Maybe a bear. Or a lion. Perhaps I should ask them about it.

    *clearing her throat, Taern slides off the stool, and walks up behind the small crowd of villagers. She notices Thokk, near Elhan, and stops*

    He must be the leader of these adventurers. He holds himself well. Though that dwarf is the most heavily muscled. Perhaps this elf is an advisor to the dwarf leader. Who should I talk to?

    *Taern looks a little confusedly between the heavily muscled Thokk, and the handsome Elthan. Finally she wends her way through the few villagers, and positions herself near Elthan. With a friendly smile, she offers her hand for a handshake*

    *she speaks with a slow, easygoing manner, using short, simple words*
    I'm Taern Torminson. I heard you talking about dead animals, and when I passed through... *thinks a moment* that marsh, back there, I saw some dead sheeps floating in a pond. Maybe they got killed by the same beast?

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "You know about this beast lassie? Whatever it was, it woke me up. Thats enough of a reason to destory it."

    Does she know anything worth while?

    *Draws himself up to his max height and offers out a hand*

    "Me name is Thokk. Thats all you need to know. What can you tell us?"

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    *smiles and shakes his hand, firmly*

    I dont know anything about the beast, but I know that I saw some dead animals floating in a pond in the middle of that one marsh on the way here. I thought it might have been a bear or a lion or something else equally ferocious. Err... I didnt know lions and bears let out clouds of darkness, though.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    *Brow Furrows*

    "A demonic lion or bear....perhaps"

    *Slams mug down*

    "Lass, thanks for your help. The rest of you, come on. We will revenge the pony, and i might get some of my own. Lets go with the villagers on their nightly rounds tonight. I want to personally catch this thing."

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    Philodus notices the elven woman in conversation with his friends. He comes up from behind in time to hear the last of the exchange.

    That's peculiar. Why would any beast leave prey floating in a pond? Even magical creatures aren't wasteful.

    "Excuse me, ma'am -- did you see any signs that the dead animals had been gnawed upon? I'd think most things that could've dragged away our pony would've tried to eat it. Not many of them would've left perfectly good meat in stagnant water, either."
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *turns, and regards the human*

    I didnt stay near there, uhh... sir. Bad luck poking at dead things, and I didnt want to risk the bear or lion or whatever coming back to chew on me, alone anyway. All I saw were some sheep floating in a pool of water. Maybe a horse, too. Maybe we should go back there and investigate. Err.. what's your name, anyway? I'm Taern.

    *hold out her hand for a handshake*

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "Name's Philodus. Pleased to meet you, ma'am."

    *He accepts the proffered hand and shakes vigorously.*

    Oof! What a grip!

    I'm not so sure I *want* to find out what we met... gotta satisfy curiousity, though. At least we may be able to help out the townspeople. Whatever's out there may try dragging off a person, next.

    "If this creature doesn't make an appearance tonight, would you be willing to guide us to this pool? I think we'd all like to get a look at those sheep."

    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    *nods*

    Of course! If I can.. uhh... remember where it was. Shouldnt be too much of a problem. It was... somewhere in the middle, I think. Next to some hills.

    *grins*

    So, who is in this band of adventurers? Philodus, Thokk..

    *looks around, questioningly*

    Perhaps -this- is the right group! Perhaps, finally, I'll be able to be part of an adventuring company. If I can only remember where that pool was. Oh boy, this could be tough. It was a day behind, right? No, more than that. Two, at least. Was it next to a tree or something. Gah! Curse my memory...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •