New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Fizahn:

*Fizahn spends most of the first day exploring the swamp (as DR mentioned), but after he comes back with Aholoh, he spends much of his time conversing with the badger about Graevic's former life before he met the party and trying to convey to Aholoh what happened to Graevic. As soon as it is found out that it is a Cloak of Elvenkind, Fizahn immediately puts it on, and won't hear anyone else's claims for it if they had any. He also claims the Ring of Feather Fall, claiming that he is "the most likely of us to be thrown off a cliff." Fizahn also takes great offense when the dagger is mentioned and asks whether "any of you morons have ever seen a short sword before?" he takes the dagger because "only someone who first knows what a weapon is can wield it correctly."*
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Bugbear in the Playground

The badger is simple minded and has some trouble grasping the idea of Graevic being not-Graevic but still somehow Graevic. In the course of their daily conversations, however, Aholoh seems to have bonded a bit with Fizahn, and the badger can be seen faithfully following around the gnome like a faithful dog.

Taern and Thokk elbow each other as they poke around the copper medallions. Thokk judges that each is probably worth only two copper pieces each (due to their large size). Each disc appears to have a different engraving - stylized stick figures depicting people, groups of people, or creatures (some mundane, some fantastical).

3. - Top - End - #633

Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks over at Thokk and Taern examining the copper coins and goes over there. He takes one of the coins and examines it closely (search check to see if there's anything he can make out beyond what Thokk and Taern saw, hidden letters, runes etc.).*

"First, we have to take inventory and group them by their pictures using various columns, the type of being on one side, and the number of beings at the top. Type of beings shouldn't be grouped too specifically, I'm suggesting four basic categories, gnome, gnome-oids, mundane animals, and fantastical animals. The numbers are just normal, one, two, three, etc. Once we have these organized, we can break it down into subcategories on gnome-oids, mundane creatures, and fantastical creatures, looking for a pattern. If no pattern can be found, we should go auction a few off, to see if someone finds a hidden value in them."

*Having said his piece, Fizahn idly pulls out his dagger and starts tossing it up in the air and catching it.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:48 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern shrugs and grins, setting the coins down and watching idly.

5. - Top - End - #635

When Fizahn begins organizing the medallions, Taern drops the ones she was examining back onto the table. One falls off the edge and rolls out the doorway into the adjacent room.

A moment later, from that room, an inhuman screech pierces your ears and curdles your blood.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*assuming I am wearing no armor and no weapon is available*

"What in Moradins Beard was that?"
    *Rushes into the room*

*Assuming I have some armor/Weapon*

"What in Moradins Beard was that?"
    *Rushes into the room*

7. - Top - End - #637

Fizahn:

*Fizahn continues to organize the medallions, but with his dagger in his hand.*

"Taern, will you please either find the medallion you dropped, or, if you can't, tell me what picture was on it. I think that this tells us they're obviously magical, and that we shouldn't sell them..."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:50 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

8. - Top - End - #638

Thokk rushes into the next room, his sword drawn.

A foul smelling harpy cries out and beats her wings, knocking over furniture and knicknacks. She looks as surprised to be there as anyone else.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

Hearing the screeching sound Linda walks after Thokk carefully and urges the others to follow her. She stays behind Thokk at a safe distance from anything that might be of any danger. Upon seeing the beast she immediately prepares to cast a spell if it makes any offencive moves.

OOC: Ready action: Magic Missile. Will stay off the front line if possible.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Halfling in the Playground

Elthan

Elthan follows Linda into the room. He will try to cast detect magic, directed at the beast.

OOC: Looking for conjuration aura from a summoning spell.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

11. - Top - End - #641
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*yells to the Harpy*
    "Ach, Go back from whence you came, or prepare to taste my blade!"

*whisper to Taern*
    "Lass, get ready to out sing that oversized bird if it tries anything"

12. - Top - End - #642
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern starts, obviously shocked*

Uhh... uhh... I think the coin I uhh.. dropped had a picture of a bird on it... maybe...

*Taern gropes around for something to throw, then remembers that she just bought two new sets of weapons for this precise reason and draws her shortsword.*

13. - Top - End - #643

The harpy beats her wings and screeches menacingly, but she keeps her distance from you.

Elthan studies the creature while the rest of you ready weapons and spells.

The beast does detect as magical (no surprise), but Elthan's brow furrows as he continues concentrating on the harpy, something isn't right ...

14. - Top - End - #644

Elthan:

Frowning in surprise... "The harpy, it's not radiating conjuration, it's radiating an illusion aura..." Elthan says, directed at Linda. He still continues to focus on the aura "It's not dangerous, unless it's some sort of very powerful illusion..."

OOC: I would like to know the strength of the aura.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Shudders*

"Ach! Not another Illusion! I really dont like this... Zaldu eren katchpa Moradin grualupa"
    *In Dwarven, May the Light of Moradins Forge protect me*

16. - Top - End - #646

Elthan:

"I think we should wait and see what the creature will do, but I would still stay alert and be ready." Elthan continues to concentrate on the creature.

OOC: Still waiting for the strenght of the aura.

17. - Top - End - #647

The harpy herself strongly detects as an illusion . In addition, however, Elthan detects a faint aura of illusion radiating from the coin Taern dropped, which is lying in the middle of the floor.

The harpy continues to flap her wings and screech, but she makes no move to attack.

OOC: Is everyone's character updated? Let me know in the OOC thread if your character is ready for me to look over.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Aha! The coin!"

*Thokks walks over and tries to pick up the coin*

19. - Top - End - #649

Fizahn:

*Fizahn walks into the room right as Thokk moves toward the coin.*

"Don't touch the coin Thokk! I am in the middle of observing the effects of dropping them and you might interrupt the process of science! Just tell me what the picture on it is, if you can see it. Do not disturb the coin! We have no idea what would happen, if you did it might cause the harpy to attack you, for example. Elthan, tell me everything you find out from your magic. Tell me if this coin radiates magic."

*Fizahn holds up one of the medallions. (if any had gnomes on them, that's the one he holds up, preferably two, but if not, he'll hold up one with two humanoids)*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:51 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #650

Elthan examines the medallion held by Fizahn. "Yes, that disc radiates faint illusion magic as well."

Thokk pays no heed to Fizahn's warning and instead snatches up the coin Taern had dropped from the floor. Instantly, the harpy dissolves into a shower of scintillations. The foul harpy stench likewise dissipates.

"Hmmm." Thokk turns the coin over to examine both sides. There is no engraving; the medallion is totally blank.

21. - Top - End - #651

Elthan

Since I'm still concentrating on my detect magic spell, I aim it at the totally blank disc to see if it still radiates magic.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"perhaps its power has been all used up..."

23. - Top - End - #653

Indeed, as suspected by Thokk, the now-featureless copper disc has no magical aura.

OOC: If we can wrap up the distribution of items IC, we can move on. Please let me know exactly which items your character claims. The rest will be sold I assume.

So far I have Thokk claiming the amulet of natural armor, the brooch of shielding, and the elemental (water) gem, and Fizahn claiming the cloak of elvenkind, the ring of feather fall, and the +2 dagger.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Scatter the coins between our resident wizards so they can do something if their magic gets used up.

25. - Top - End - #655

Fizahn:

"Okay, so, logically, if I drop this coin, two gnomes, similar to the ones depicted in the drawing would appear... Why not give it a try?"

*Fizahn tosses the coin onto the ground, picture side up. (unless someone tells him to stop)*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:51 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #656

Fizahn chooses a coin with two small humanoids drawn on it, then drops it on the floor.

The coin bounces a couple of times, then rolls to rest at Thokk's feet.

Nothing seems to happen. There is an awkward silence as you wait for something, anything, to appear. Nothing does.

Someone giggles.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Who laughed?"

*looks at the coin to see if the picture is still there*

28. - Top - End - #658

Fizahn:

"Did it land picture side up? Elthan, is it still radiating an illusion aura?"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:53 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

29. - Top - End - #659

The coin had landed picture side up (two small humanoids), but now the medallion is blank. Elthan can still detect faint illusion magic radiating from the disc.

Someone behind Thokk giggles again. Thokk whirls around, but now the giggling is coming from behind Elthan.

30. - Top - End - #660

Fizahn:

"Hmm... A ventriloquism spell... Or something similar... I can see the usefulness of summoning a harpy, but what's the point of making a giggling sound behind someone..."

*Fizahn tosses his dagger into the air and catches it while pondering the situation.*

"I suppose you could use it to make someone think someone is behind them... We need to figure out what all the coins do before we waste any more of them. Look at the back side and around the fringes for any clues as to whether it creates an illusion or a sound, such as a tiny depiction of an eye or ear, or perhaps some symbols."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 12:54 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.