New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Fizahn gingerly handles the soiled parchment. It is a simple hand-drawn map showing a path out of the Wetwoods into the adjacent Orsraun Mountains. At the end of the winding dotted line is an "X" labeled the Grey Keep.

The finger appears to be the pinky of an adult human male. Although you can not be certain, the obvious assumption would seem to be that the finger once belonged to Graevic.

The implied message is clear - "Come and get me ..."

Linda pokes her head back into the hut, covering her nose and mouth. She detects no magical auras other than the faint necromancy still radiating from the zombie flesh.

As she reflects, she realizes that these reanimated corpses were once lizardfolk, whereas the serpentine skeletons you had encountered in the crypts were the remains of ancient yuan-ti.

She vaguely recalls Oden Homm teaching her that at one time the Vilhon Reach was populated by many different cold-blooded races. Though the reclusive lizardfolk can still be found in the less-hospitable regions of the region (such as here in the Wetwood), they tend to keep to themselves. It is generally assumed that the other serpent races have long since gone extinct or retreated to the Underdark.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm. As much as I want to repay Sethra for what he has done this is certainly a trap. It would not be very wise of is to accept his invitation-especially not now that he's expecting us. I suggest that we do some research on the powers Sethra once had, who is Sarlok's heir and so on. Instead of trying to stop Sethra from advancing his plans we should foil his plans by warning those he hunts and by limiting his resources-if we can ofcourse. If we cannot and we have no other options then we could drop on him-but only when we will be prepared.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ah, but lassie, that might be exactly what he wants us to do! He knows our very weaknesses, and so he would expect us to prepare and get him when we are stronger. That would also give him (may the hammer smite him down) time to prepare, and his full powers are much more then ours. If we instead suddenly attacked him, when he is weak, we might catch him by suprise!"

4. - Top - End - #784

Linda and Thokk debate two possible courses of action:

(1) Try to strike at Sethra's old base of operations now before he regains his full powers.

(2) Try to beat Sethra to any of Sarloc's descendants.

Each course of action has pros and cons. Thokk and Linda look to Taern and Fizahn for their opinions.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

*Fizahn furrows his brow in concentration, before looking up and giving his opinion.*

"I think we should find out who Sarloc's descendants are, and only involve ourselves in this business if the descendants are in places of power. If they are, we should try to beat Sethra, and warn the descendants."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 02:29 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

6. - Top - End - #786

Everyone turns to Taern for her opinion ...

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"If we go to him now, we can smash the evil person so he doesnt hurt people!"

8. - Top - End - #788
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

Thokk, we cannot defeat him. He survived for centuries until someone alive came near him and he posessed him. If we kill the body he inhabits who says he won't be able to control one of us and live again? I do not want to be controlled, do you? Unless we learn what holds him to our world long after his death and we are able to undo it, going after him not only will not harm him but it might even make him stronger.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

9. - Top - End - #789

As Thokk and Linda argue, Aholoh shuffles over from his hiding place deep in the brush. He "converses" with Fizahn briefly.

OOC: PM sent to you Erikkin.

10. - Top - End - #790

Fizahn:

*Fizahn converses with the badger for a short while, before obviously thanking it, and heading into the hut to look around.*
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ay laddie, what is it?"

12. - Top - End - #792

Fizahn:

"Rocks, Thokk, rocks. I'm currently looking for a cache of supplies, stored by Graevic."

*Fizahn continues his search, making faces of disgust at the blood all over the floor.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 02:41 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Linda thinks for awhile then speaks:

Taern, I know you want to go to Sethra right now to avenge all those he has killed and desecrated but if we attack him unprepared we will only die-and join his undead forces. We must prepare and learn more of his plans and goals if we are to be victorious.

OOC: Trying to convinve Taern to my point of view.

14. - Top - End - #794

While Fizahn pokes around inside the shelter, Taern agonizes over whether she wants to follow the map directly toward the Grey Keep, where Sethra presumably awaits, or whether she wants to try to track down any of Sarloc's descendants who might be in jeopardy.

She hems and haws, furrowing her brow and scratching her head. "I can't decide," she complains.

Instead she suggests returning to Oden Homm's to see if Elthan has any more information about Sethra or Sarloc that might help to decide the next course of action.

OOC: Another PM sent your way Erikkin.

15. - Top - End - #795

Fizahn:

*Fizahn exits the hut, holding a package in his hands.*

"Well, well, it looks like we've got a present. This one might be from Graevic, instead of Sethra, though."

*Fizahn begins to open the package, very carefully.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 02:43 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think... I think... that we should... you know...

*ponders a few minutes as the two try and convince her.*

*Finally looks up, decided.*

I think that we really need to find and kill Sethra. Since he nicely gave us a map, I think we should go there, break down any traps he set for us and slay him on the spot.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"HOO-RAH LASSIE! Good choice, if I do say so myself."

18. - Top - End - #798

As Taern speaks, Fizahn is opening the small package.

When the paper is unfolded, you can all see 6 neatly wrapped sets of trail rations (hardtack and jerky), a leather pouch (filled with 50 gp), and a small red oak wand.

Fizahn looks up with a satisfied look, then suddenly looks over the rest of your shoulders with alarm.

Each of you (Taern, Thokk, and Linda) turn quickly to see what Fizahn is looking at and you observe a single lizardman standing at the edge of the brush surprisingly close to you, a mere 30 feet away.

The lizardman is armed with a club and carries a wooden shield. Both arms are at his sides, however, non-threateningly ...

19. - Top - End - #799
    Orc in the Playground

THokk

*Cautoiusly*
    "Ach, lad, who be ye?"

20. - Top - End - #800

Fizahn carefully covers up the rations and wand with the paper wrapper, then slowly grasps his crossbow (still loaded). He keeps the crossbow pointed at the ground, but eyes the lizardman suspiciously.

21. - Top - End - #801

Ssathiyaa:
    Holding both arms by his side the lizardman steps out of cover but advances no further.

He raises his voice and attempts to speak in common.

"No fight, I ssSeek withs you"
    "pinkskins seek wizzard, we seek wizzard, defiler-kin"
    "our path'ss are as one"

"hunt as pack, we can?", he ***** his head to one side quizzically. He watches Fizahn with one eye while his other eye fluctuates between Taaern and Thokk. His body language does not indicate hostility although his discomfort in addressing you is palpable.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

22. - Top - End - #802

Fizahn raises his crossbow slightly, but does not point it at the lizardman. He addresses the stranger in draconic:

Who are you? What do you want? Are there others with you?

OOC: By the way, I finally got around to scanning in a map of the area that shows the Shining Plains, Nimpeth, the Orsraun Mountains, the Wetwoods, Hlondeth, etc. Please check the OOC thread ...

23. - Top - End - #803

He studies Fizahn and Thokk with more interest than he does Taern.It is quite likely that he has never seen a gnome or dwarf defore.
    in draconic:
    "I am druid of the people. I ssSpied on you and heard you speak of a wizard. If the wizard you ssspeak of did this to my kin, then he is my prey as well. I am one of the people.You"
    sweeps one hand over the party "are not.But the ssspirits about me sssay we walk one path. sSo we may help one another in my vision-quest.For my people's sssake, I will aid you pinkskinss. My name i will give you in time.
    He hesitates and visibly ponders before replying,"No harm will fall on you if no harm comes to me. Help will come if i wish it.But No more of the people will you see."

Although he is slightly hunched down and seems to be ready to react to anything, he will relax and straighten up, once he sees no obvious ranged threats.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

24. - Top - End - #804
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

What in Tymora's name?!

He looks like those zombies back there...

*Taern, obviously startled, quickly rises to her feet and draws her longbow*

Can we trust a lizardman? He might jump on us at any moment...

25. - Top - End - #805

Fizahn raises his crossbow and joins Taern in covering the lizardman.

He whispers to her in Common, "I don't think I trust this green-skinned giant. There might be others about. We should be very careful ..."

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Linda looks at the Lizardman for a moment then speaks:
    [draconic]
    These zombies here once belonged to your tribe, yes? This wizard-Sethra-defiled their dead bodies and held their spirits from their rightful rest. Yes, he has done so before-with our race-humans-as well. Not only he defiles others but his own kin. He himself is an abomination-he is a spirit without a body, one that survived for centuries and now lives by taking over the bodies of others. An affront to the living, to Nature and to how magic should be used. I would like to find new allies, true. But can you prove that out trust is well placed? Your people have honor, yes. We have too. But Sethra can take over the bodies of others and we cannot trust you. I will now cast a spell to see if you are free of any magical bindings-fear not. You will not be harmed by this spell.
    To her friends [back in common]
    While it is true we should not trust him, we do need allies. Therefore we should give him a chance to prove himself. Lizardmen do have honor-but I must check him first for magical compulsions.
    Linda goes on casting a minor dweomer to detect magic

OOC: Detect magic. Naturally, I'll be looking for any enchantment or necromancy effects.

27. - Top - End - #807

Linda gazes intently at the lizardman, who acquiesces to the examination.

She gets no sense of any illusions or necromancy at work here. In fact, the lizardman is refreshingly free of any magical auras at all whatsoever.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Dwarf in the Playground

*frowns darkly*

I find it wierd that on the site where Sethra has been recently, this guy just "happens" to show up. Especially when a couple of his friends just attacked us. How do we know he's not possessed? Or undead? He could be in league with Sethra, or... or... you know. Just want to kill us.. or something.

*shakes her head*

I don't trust him.

29. - Top - End - #809

Fizahn frowns along with Taern. "Well, you have to admit that he doesn't look like a zombie ..."

"He claims to be some sort of druid and says that he wants to join forces with us to defeat Sethra," he explains to Taern.

In draconic he challenges the lizardman:

Why should we trust you?

30. - Top - End - #810
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"If this is a kin issue, I believe we should trust him, lads. A blood fued is a mighty oath."

*To the Lizardman in Terran, Undercommon, Dwarfen, and Goblin*
    "Do speak any of these?"