New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Eltahn II, The Clone Sorcerer

*The Mirror Image copy of Elthan walks through the door to stand beside Elthan. They look almost alike, but something does seem to set thier identical appearance appart. You don't immideatly catch it, but after close inspection you relize that it is thier fdace that sets them apart. Though the Elthan you where talking to greeted you with a warm heart and a smile, the twin that walked in shows no sign of emotion at all. But amoment later you relize it was the thing buzzing around his head that gave away thier difference. After a moment of akward silence, the clone speaks to you in a deep, bland tone..*

"Greetings to you, friends. If you will allow me to explain what has transpired in your absence. I, am Elthan the second, clone of Elthan Moonshade. By the use of Oden's magic, I have been created to fill the roll of Elthan while he takes a permanent leave of absence from the group. Elthan has informed me of what has happened in your quest and Oden has givin me some magical training over Elthan sorcerer powers so that I may aid you in battle."

*Elthan II walks over to the Gnome* "You must be Fizahn.." *Strides thorugh the group, guessing each of your names* "Thokk, Linda, Taern, and.." *stops infront of the lizardman*

*In Draconic*
    "Elthan did not tell me of Lizardman in his party. You are a new addition, are you not? At any rate. Well met, man of scale.

(ooc: Hello, pretty freaky havng a clone huh?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Linda greets the new Elthan and says:
    Pleased to meet you... Elthan. You do not mind if I speak to you as if you are Elthan's twin brother, do you?
    Linda waits until she gets a reply-she wouldn't want to insult the new Elthan.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #843

Elthan II, The Clone Sorcerer

*Elthan II, turning away form the lizard man, now addresses Linda.*

"I would not mind you addressing me in such a way, or in any other manner, for a no matter the name, the rose will smell as sweet."

*Elthan II steps back towards Elthan and hands him a deep, black colored scale*

"I believe you droped this. I found it near where I was created about an hour ago."

*Elthan II then procedes to step back and before the group.*

"So, now that we are aquanted, may I inquire as to what our course of action is from here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ssathiyaa:

The lizardman seems more uneasy than usual.

While he wasn't keen to be diverted from seeking sethra immediately, he understood that to seek battle with weary companions was to court disaster. Knowing that he could not offer them any shelter he acceded to accompanying them to the nearest human settlement for some rest. He seemed to be continually taking in the surroundings away from the forest and studying other humanoids he passed.

On meeting Elthan and his clone, he seems pained. He keeps a distance from Elthan and Elthan II. He bows to Elthan II after a while, saying in common,

"Fight fire with fire, at times we must."

He then retreats with his back against a corner and remains quiet. He studies the others communicate with one another and tries to expand his knowledge of the pinkskins who will aid him in his quest.

OOC: hello Elthan II! I'm sorry if you've been waiting long for us to get back.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

5. - Top - End - #845

One question is whether the party (now with six members) will follow the map into the Orsraun Mountains to Sethra's old keep or not.

Another option might be to try to find descendants of Sarloc in order to warn them about Sethra. Elthan's research suggests that any living members of Sarloc's family likely live in the Unapproachable East, where both Sethra and Sarloc were from.

Although the party is technically under no obligation to do either of those things, remember that Sethra is currently occupying the body of one of your friends (Graevic) and that your exploration of the crypt indirectly led to Sethra's re-emergence.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lads, I still say we bash him in while we are strong and he is weak! He will hopefully waste more resources in follies like the one we defeated, and be able to utterly crush him!"

7. - Top - End - #847

"You have a good idea Thokk, as he should be weakened by his imprisonment, anything he creates will only prolong his recovery. If he has failed to see this and made more, this should only make Sethra himself easier to remove form Graevic's body, but this is considerng he has made more creations as opposed to simply pulling them out from storage."

*as he talks, a small snake of some kind slithers up Elthan II's leg and up to his arm.*

"However, I would fell better about going to Sethra if someone were to give fair warning to Sarlocs desendents."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Troll in the Playground

Last time we went up against him, Sethra merely posessed Graevic's body and didn't have access to most of his magics. Yet, he defeated us with a single spell-an acidic mist in which he seemed to be immune. We also came up a trap in that tomb and that pillar of fire almost killed us. If Sethra could defeat us with a single spell what could we possibly do against him right now? I suggest we warn Sarloc's heir-whoever that may be-before we go up against Sethra. That way, we may gain another ally to our cause and we won't have to fight Sethra in his own fort-he has to come to us or send his minions. It would be easier to fight him in our ground and not on his.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Dwarf in the Playground

I say we.. uhh... kill him! Yeah! That way he can't hurt any more people. And then we could give Graevic a proper funeral, and the gods and spirits would be at ease.

*Taern showed no real reaction to the two Elthans, thinking that one was just more magical trickery, and eventually one or the other would go away and leave them with the real one.*

See, I almost killed him! I almost got him, I could feel his blood on my hands.. But then I passed out. Maybe if we catch him by suprise we can...

*she makes a twisting motion with her thick hands, miming wringing a neck*

He can't cast spells when he's dead, right?

10. - Top - End - #850

"Well I believe Linda has an excellent point. Even though he was just released, he easily defeated you. It would be wiser to face him on our own ground, or rather, the ground of Sarloc's Heir, where we have the higher ground, so to speak.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

11. - Top - End - #851

As you debate your next course of action, Fizahn points out that Sethra almost certainly had nothing to do with the crypt with the flame strike trap and the yuan-ti skeletons. Taern fell into that barrow by accident as you recall.

Fizahn also reminds Linda that Graevic/Sethra used a pair of rings taken out of a hidden niche in the dais to escape. One obviously produced the acid fog while the other was presumably a ring of acid resistance. It would appear that Sethra (being presumably of high intelligence) kept little caches of "emergency" items hidden about his lairs.

It is not yet clear exactly how much or how little intrinsic power Graevic/Sethra has at this time. The only spell he has definitely cast himself was a magic mouth. Fizahn also points out that Sethra "defeated" all of you just barely (Taern almost had him wrestled into submission) and only after your party was weakened by the fight with the magmins.

Thinking about the abomination you just encountered in the Wetwoods inside Graevic's shelter, Fizahn suggests that the gems that "powered" the lizardman zombies continued to function even once the creatures were dismembered. In this sense, the gems behaved differently than the "normal" gems that power zombies, but that now that you know their secret, the gem zombie variants shouldn't be any harder to defeat than standard zombies.

Sethra apparently depends heavily on magic items (such as the Fire Opal that kept his essence intact for centuries, his magic rings that allowed him to narrowly escape from you in the crypt, and the special gems within the zombie lizardmen). His supply of these special items must be limited, however, and his dependence on them suggests that his arcane powers might not yet be at full strength.

A frontal assault on the Grey Keep, using some care and tactical thinking, might be feasible. As Thokk had pointed out previously, in all likelihood, the longer you wait, the more powerful Sethra will become.

Having said all of that, Fizahn acknowledges that it might be reasonable to try to track down Sarloc's descendants, since presumably Sethra would then come to you, rather than you going to Sethra. The only problem is, how exactly will you track down any descendants of Sarloc?

12. - Top - End - #852

Ssathiyaa, lizardkin Druid:
    The lizardkin who had been listening and watching the group particularly Oden Homm, who he suspects is another wizard. The human who hadn't spoken until now, revealed nothing about himself and is looking back at him impresses/intimidates the lizardkin.

I wonder if HE is their chief...

Looking at the party in general:
    These pinkskins aren't as weak as I have been told to belief...They are obviously weaker and deserve to be food for US..

He amends the thought:

Those of US that do actually eat pinkskin meat.. but if not for semuanya, greater numbers could drive us off our homes if not...hunt.. US!I have seen this with my own eyes in the wild.Are my visions truly saving the PEOPLE? Sethra will doom my people now. but will the old balance return? Or a new balance without a place for US? My People may have been great and still strong but even the mghty dragon may be brought low. I cannot allow pinkskin and lizardkin to war. I pray semuanya's visions and the spirits that guide me to these pinkskins truly will save my people...

Wait why are they talking of "Sar-loc's heir". Some type of bait? No. they must not delay..

The lizardkin who had been quiet until now, interrupts the conversation:
    "Pinkskinss, not wisse, to hunt the trail that growss cold. Sstop Ssethra, we musst. Cunning to seek bait it may be, but to kill *GREAT* prey, quick the hunt and kill must be.Resst pinkskinss and with me, hunt Ssethra.tarry, and the hunted, the hunter becomes. "

He pauses and indicates Thokk and Taern, "Speak wisely.,they do.Come sunrise hunt the wizzard, we will. A quick kill, a hard hunt but HUNT WE MUST."
    He stamps his feet and swings his tail rapidly from left-to-right and back emphasising the need for immediate action and the need for immediate resolution of the discussion.

OOC: hey sorry if i'm pushy but Ssathiyaa's in it for himself/the safety of his kind. Explaining the need to protect another life or going about capturing sethra by an extended route to lure and capture him, or simply doing the good thing will not make sense to him. Lizzies are very diff from humanoids. ;D
    If we aren't going directly to Sethra, then you're really gonna have to pull off a very good convincing and i mean really good.thanks guys
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Taern nods vehemently*

The lizard-thing is right. We've gotta act fast otherwise Sethra will get -more- acid cloud ring things, and -then- where would we be? All acided up, that's where.

*Thinks a moment*

Maybe... maybe we could do both? Set out a notice or something... "If you are Sarloc's heir, please leave a message with Oden Homm in this town. Otherwise you can do whatever you want" and then we also go in and kill Sethra, killing two birds with two stones!

Maybe we should find some trap or weapon that could kill him once we get there. Like one that'd drop a big rock on his head, or one that would drop him into a hole... Or maybe we need one of those magic longswords, like great Harlan Deval wielded when he slayed the Great Wyrm of the Rift. That'd teach him.

*She subsides, all this thinking clearly wearing her down*

14. - Top - End - #854

"Perhaps we should go assult Sethra's castle. There are bound to be dozens of Items there that he left for himself that we could use to defeat him. And even if we do fail to defeat him there we can still try again in the unapprocable east with all the trinkets we gathered from his lair and help from Sarloc's Hier."

*After speaking, Elthan II begins to stroke the snake that has wraped itself around his right arm.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White

I see the majority has decided to assault Sethra's fortress. Very well then, I will come with you. But first, there is one thing we should do. Ask for advice. Master Oden, as the oldest and wisest here, what would you suggest we do?

OOC: Shouldn't Oden have spoken long before that anyway?

16. - Top - End - #856

Oden Homm had been listening to your debate with interest, so when Linda asks for his opinion, he is happy to chime in.

(On the other hand, he really hasn't been a member of your party since you helped him slay the black dragon, so you shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't spoken up before now.)

"Well, if Sethra was indeed trapped in this 'Fire Opal' during his fight with Sarloc, then one would assume that he had depleted many of his prepared spells in the final battle AND he would have not had any opportunity to prepare any new ones. He likely had no choice but to use magic items in order to escape from you.

"Now that Sethra has a body (poor Graevic!), one would assume that he would be able to prepare new spells. Yet, there is little sign that he has returned to his former power. It's been a tenday since your 'explorations' released Sethra; yet, it seems that all he has done is slaughter some lizardfolk and raise some of them as zombies.

"To me, this raises some interesting possibilities: (1) that his powers have degraded over the centuries of disembodiment, (2) that Graevic's body is not as ideal a vessel as might be required to perform high level necromancy, or (3) that perhaps he does not have access to his spellbook - it might have been destroyed in the battle with Sarloc, or perhaps it has been lost or has been taken?

"Weakened or not, Sethra is still going to be a crafty opponent, but he also seems to have a twisted sense of honor. He could easily have slain Thokk and Taern in the crypt, but he did not. One might wonder then why would he want to kill them now? Why would he leave you a map leading to a trap? If his purpose in this second life is to slay descendants of Sarloc, then why would he bother toying with you?

"A few other things to keep in mind. He has a ring that can create an acid fog. He has the ability (through the Fire Opal) to possess another being as if through a magic jar. He will take advantage of tactical positioning if he can. You may want to be prepared to counter these tactics if you decide to follow the map to the Keep. Think about protection from acid or protection from evil. Think about ways to cooperate and to use the unique abilities each of you have; try to be more than the sum of your parts.

"Oh, and by the way, were any of you going to take any of these interesting medallions? You left them on the table this morning. Who knows how they might be useful ..."

17. - Top - End - #857

Fizahn:

"As we do not fully understand their power, they may yet prove helpful, or even dangerous. We will take them, but I want none of you using them unless we are in grave danger.

"I think that Sethra is toying with us because we know what he is up to. Sarloc's heirs could be powerful wizards, and he fears us warning them about him, so he is trying to lure us into a traps. If Sarloc's heirs are found, they could prove invaluable allies."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 02:55 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #858

Elthan (the original one) helps to heal Thokk's wounds, and soon Thokk feels well enough to head out to the sheds to tend to his dulled sword and damaged armor.

Aholoh snoozes by the fire as conversation runs late into the night. While you talk, Oden Homm provides pipes to smoke and port to sip. Eventually, however, you all retire for the night, heading up to your guestrooms. The lizardman prefers to sleep outdoors.

Before heading off to his chambers, Oden Homm looks out the windows and observes, "A west wind blows tonight, an omen of change and uncertainty. Sleep well, young friends. We shall see what tomorrow brings ..."

OOC: XP wrap up in the OOC thread.

19. - Top - End - #859

Elthan II, the Clone Sorcerer

*Eltahn II goes to bed with all the rest, but gets up a little early so he can examine the medalions and see what illusions they could produce.*

(OOC: Knowlage arcana check)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

20. - Top - End - #860

Elthan (II) rises early and finds Taern already up, practicing some fighting forms in the yard. She comes back inside and tells him about the medallions, and he examined them with interest. "They remind me of the cards in a deck of illusions," he observes.

Their examination of the copper discs is interrupted, however, by the sound of dogs barking outside. When they run outside to investigate, they see someone approaching from the road through the early morning fog.

As the person staggers closer, they see a nearly naked human male, bleeding from a variety of lacerations. His left hand is wrapped in a filthy rag. His stringy wet hair dangles down over his face. Taern has a spear in her hand ready and is about to challenge the stranger when suddenly she recognizes him. "Graevic ...?" she gasps ...

21. - Top - End - #861
    Troll in the Playground

After the exertions of this small excursion, Linda goes early to bed. In the morning she wakes up with a yawn and decides it is time for a bath. She heats water in a cauldron then puts it into the bath, adds cold water so as the temperature is to her liking as well as some soap and oils then takes off her dirty, shoes, robes and underwear and enters, having decided not to come out until the water becomes cold enough to stop being comfortable.
    No sooner she makes that decision than she hears dogs barking downstairs. She swears once, darts out of the bath, takes a towel and wipes off the water hastily then puts on some clothes even faster and comes down to see who has come at this early hour in the morning*

OOC: By Linda's standards, early morning is around 10 o'clock. ;D

22. - Top - End - #862
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Taern drops her spear, and runs over to Graevic, attempting to help him walk, or if necessary pick him up and carry him. She remains blissfully oblivious that this could very well be a trap or a ruse.*

How did you get back here? You're supposed to be trapped in some castle up in the mountains, and we were gonna kill you so we could kill whatsisname. Sethra. Are you alright? Have you healed yourself?

*She continues to barrage him with well-meaning questions and queries*

23. - Top - End - #863
    Halfling in the Playground

Graevic staggers towards Taern, shuffling more than walking. He accepts her assistance, but is dropped to his knees by a wracking cough that causes him to moan in pain. He seems oblivious to Taern’s questions, head bowed, kneeling, arms limp by his sides. In a rasping voice, barely above a whisper, ”Th…thank…the…Oak….Lord…made….it”. With that, Graevic tips forward and collapses, his breath barely moving his chest.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Troll in the Playground

A wet-haired Linda comes down the stairs. She doesn't have her shoes on and she has forgotten to pick up her staff but that is of no cosequence right now. Seeing Graevic collapsing to the ground she runs up to him and attempts to heal him then casts a spell that allows her to detect magic, looking for anything suspicious. It doesn't hurt to be cautious...

25. - Top - End - #865

As Linda tends to Graevic, his breathing becomes deeper and more steady. The color begins to return to his cheeks, but he remains semi-conscious, almost delerious.

Surreptitiously, Linda also checks for any signs of magical possession or compulsion, but finds none.

26. - Top - End - #866

Fizahn:

*Fizahn suddenly pops up next to Linda. As he sees Graevic, his eyes widen in surprise. Keeping his hand on his "short sword," he walks up to Graevic and kneels behind him.*

Either Sethra ran into someone more powerful than him, who was able to dispel Graevic, it's a trap, or...

"He used my idea!! That... Graevic, glad you could make it back. Aholoh is safe, and we're glad to have you back. Can you tell us anything about what happened while you were possessed?"

Sethra obviously didn't make it far before anything happened. He probably purposefully let Graevic live and sent him back as a warning to us if it was his doing.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 02:56 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #867

Ssathiyaa, lizardkin druid:

Woken by a loud barking noise near Oden Homm's dwelling, Ssathiyaa rolls into a defensive position. After determining he was in no immediate danger he rolls up his bedroll and grabs his back pack before rushing into the mist.Slowing as he draws nearer to Oden Homm's, he creeps steadily around the side to see the rest of his group gathered over another humanoid.
    Drawing neare and relaxing,in draconic "What has occurred? Is this pinkskin a packmate as well? Why has he returned alone?"

He merely looks interested neither concerned or worried.H e scratches one clawed hand down the tough leathery skin of his lower jaw and throat.

OOC: If told that this is graevic and that he can lead them to the tower and sethra, Ssathiyaa will not let him out of his sight!
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

28. - Top - End - #868

*Elthan II gets up, taking a random 5 coins with him, and follows Taern, saying nothing. Upon the Lizardmans arivall, he speaks in draconic*

"This one was one of ours. This is the one that Sethra possesed, but has now discarded. Apparently Sethra stripped him of all his things before leaving with his new vassel. Once he has been healed, he should be able to tell us where Sethra has been, and mybye to where he is now."

(OOC: He could ahve gone to his castle or strait to the east. We should be able to find out, assuming GRaevic remembers Sethras thoughts during his possesion. And Daring rouge, can I get a list of the images on the coins?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

29. - Top - End - #869

The commotion brings Oden Homm outside as well, where he is as surprised as everyone else to see Graevic returned. "Bring him inside, quickly!"

Taern carries Graevic into the house, placing him gently on a sofa in the parlor.

Oden Homm begins tending to Graevic's wounds, some of which are life-threatening. Some of the injuries seem to have been inflicted by steel, others by a whip or scourge. When Oden Homm unwraps the bandage around Graevic's left hand, he hisses in sympathy. Graevic's pinky finger is missing, having been amputated then crudely cauterized.

OOC: The engraved images on the discs are fairly cryptic, making it impossible to determine exactly what effect each disc will have.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Halfling in the Playground

Graevic drifts in and out of consciousness for several hours. He occasionally mumbles gibberish and tosses around fitfully. Slowly, he awakens more fully, looking confused and worried. He asks for food and water, which are quickly brought to him. Wrapping himself in a blanket and sitting in a chair, he eats quickly, barely chewing his foot. Stopping occasionally to pet Aholoh or smile at one of the party. Satiated, he leans back in the seat, eyes closed, he sighs deeply.

Opening his eyes, he looks to the party. ”My friends, I can not tell you how happy I am to see you again. Thank you tending to my wounds. I did what I could with what I had. I am not quite sure how I even got made it here. I awoke, alone, as you saw me when I arrived, though perhaps with less mud. I tended my wounds as best I could, and made my way back here. It is difficult to recall everything that happened. I walked, I hunted, I slept, and I prayed.” A look of deep sadness momentarily shows on Graevic’s face, he sighs gently, and continues. ”The last I recall was entering the crypt and seeing the skeletons. I have glimpses, blurry and confusing, but I can not recall any specific details after that. I can lead you back to where I awoke, after, um, I get some clothes and maybe a bit of rest”, Graevic self consciously tugs on the blanket covering his mostly naked body.