Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 1091
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    *Walks up behind the elf and regards her cooly.*

    "I think we better go after the monster also."

    Wonder where I can find a good price for a pony...

    *Lowers his voice to a whisper.*

    "But let's see if we can get promised a reward from the village first."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 09:55 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The villagers politely decline to fund your creature-hunt. There is really no central authority in Mimleth, and now that it seems like the creature has headed west into the Wetwood, rather than bothering the village proper, each villager sees it as "somebody else's problem." In any case, it seems unlikely that the villagers would have the resources to be able to offer a significant reward even if they had wanted to.

    The villagers' conversation drifts on to other subjects. Your party retires to a corner table to complete your introductions. Fizahn, Elthan, and Ephiliastokles formally shake hands with Taern.

    Philodus produces some scrap paper, and as a group you spend some time sketching out a map of the area you had travelled through recently. Taern does her best to recall exactly where she had seen the ghoulish pond. It appears that, backtracking, your party could reach the site within about 3 hours, assuming that each party member was mounted and riding light (leaving behind Ephiliastokles' cart).

    The barkeep announces last call. Looking up you see that almost all of the villagers have left for the night. In the far corner from you, an old man sits alone, sipping a glass of red wine, watching your group thoughtfully...


  3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:
    Huh. I wonder what he's so interested in. You'd think he'd never seen a gnome, a dwarf, and a half-elf walk into a bar... isn't there a joke that opens that way?

    I'm so tired... should try to put this down in my journal before I turn in.


    "I suggest we get a good night's sleep and go looking for this pond in the morning, when we're well-rested and the light's better. Whatever-it-is'll be less likely to stumble onto us by accident, too, and it'll be easier for us to see it. Can't imagine we can miss a giant cloud of unnatural darkness."

    *yawns*

    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern

    Can't imagine we can miss a giant cloud of unnatural darkness."
    *Taern laughs loudly*

    Yes. If we are going to face ill omens, we should do it well rested and in full daylight.

    *yawns widely*

    I sure hope they'll be kind enough to take me into their little band. By Tymora, I'm tired. I'd better get some sleep if we are to fight a giant, magical lion or bear tomorrow.

    I am going to bed. Goodnight, adventurers.

    *Taern ascends the stairs to her room and promptly falls into a deep, silent sleep*

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "I think I will go for another."

    *He goes to the barkeep and comes back with a tankard full.*

    "Its not like we have some guard duty tonight..."

    *He quickly drinks it big gulps at a time, still lost in his thoughts...*

    Bear or lion.... Unlikely! But it it could still be a big and dumb creature with someone else able cast a spell such as this darkness. Or it could be magical item... Or a magical creature... I wish I knew. I guess I will know if we do find that creature.

    *He is staring at a wall lost, in his thoughts until he tries to take a gulp from his empty tankard. He then gets up...*

    "Well I think a bed is waiting on me. I Wouldn't want to keep it waiting too long now would I?"

    *He then turns away from the table, goes up to his room and doses of in his bed."
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    *Fizahn stays for a few more drinks then heads up to his room.*

    I wonder if we really should kill the monster, if it's been preying on sheep, it probably won't have much loot, and I've got a pony to replace....
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    You awaken in the morning refreshed (except for Thokk who has a mild hangover). As you assemble in the common room, the innkeeper/barkeep hands you a letter written on fine parchment. The flowing script is elven:

    Brave adventurers!

    Please stop by for breakfast before you head out to slay my dragon.

    Oden Homm



  8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "Ach"
    *Rolls eyes*
    "I bet. Lets go kill this thing"
    *Stomach Rumbles*
    "On second thought, a free breakfast sounds good. What do you guys say? Im headin over, feel free to follow"

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    "Hmmm..."

    *eyes the note thoughtfully, and more than a little dubiously*

    "It seems someone would like to have us for breakfast. I wonder if this has anything to do with that strange man eyeing us last night.
    I don't suppose it would hurt to see what it's all about."

    (to the bartender) "Excuse me, sir, but could you tell us where we might find an Oden Homm?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The bartender gives you directions. You'll be heading west, back the way you came, then north toward the Orsraun foothills. On horseback, it will probably take an hour to get there, but it is in the same general direction as you were heading anyway.



    OOC: Technically, only Elthan and Taern were able to read the note. I will assume, however, that they shared its contents with the rest of the party immediately.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern strolls into the common room, and after reading the note, turns to the others*

    -His- dragon? He sounds like someone pretty powerful, to me. Have any of you heard of this.. whatsisname.. Oden? If he's powerful enough to have a dragon, he probably could imprison us with a single sneeze. Or something like that.

    Gee, I wish -I- had my own dragon. It'd be copper, and we would soar the skies!

    *Taern daydreams for a few minutes about having a dragon, then turns to the others, listening for what they want to do*

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    "Hmph. Whoever he is, he better be able to get me a new pony."

    I wonder whether he's trustworthy.... If he owns a dragon he's probably a wizard.... I'm not sure I'm up for fighting a wizard.... If the monster is a dragon, it shouldn't take too long before the patrolling peasants can't frighten it anymore.... We'd better get rid of it before it gets that powerful.... Dragons usually have huge hoards of gold....

    "I say we see what he has to say, and if he can't promise to keep the dragon in check, then we should get rid of it."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 09:58 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The party mounts up, except for Philodus who insists on travelling on foot. Jogging lightly, he is able to keep up with the party without difficulty.

    The sun continues to rise as you make your way back out of the village, back through the fields and vineyards. Following the innkeeper's directions, you soon leave the main road, heading north through some fields. You can see peasants working the land. In response to your queries, they point you toward the manor house, which is set back from the secondary road, down a cypress lined driveway.

    The size of the manor house isn't enormous, but coupled with the size of the estate and the number of peasants working his fields, it speaks of a certain degree of wealth.

    There is no one outside of the manor house to welcome you, so you knock on the heavy central door. After about a minute, the door is opened by a young woman, probably in her late teens or early twenties, with long, straight white hair, piercing blue eyes, wearing a long, white robe.


  14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda will look atr the strangers with a calculative eye
    We aren't getting any visitors usually and these people don't look like the locals either. They are armed and have horses-adventurers most probably. Perhaps they have something to do with my master?
    * What would you be needing strangers? Why would one come all the way out of the village and into this old manor at this hour of day? Is there something I can do to aid you? *

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern gracefully dismounts Jako and sizes up Linda, sporting a disarming grin*

    She doesnt look like Oden. Perhaps she is one of those people who's outer appearence is tricky, like the Shaman said.

    *Taern holds out her hand to shake*

    I'm Taern. I go from place to place, doing whatever I can. Lately there have been animals getting stolen from the local villagers, and.. uhh... *points to Fizahn* his pony got eaten. You sent us a note, this morning, to talk about it and give us breakfast?

    I hope she doesnt sic her dragon on us. I dont think I'd like being eaten by a dragon.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oh yes, the animal dissapearances. May I see the note you were sent please?

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    *draws a small piece of parchment from his pocket and carefully unfolds it*

    "This is the note."
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Hmm. This certainly looks like my master's handwriting. Seems my master called them here for something of his devising.
    You may come in.
    *she opens the door further and allows them entry*

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Ok, enough talk, where be the vittles? Always talk over food, thats what my clan says...USed to say...."

    *Face darkens*

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    Should I use the polite approach, or the rude, I don't trust you approach?

    "I'm sure your master is a very wise and thoughtful man, but, can you tell me if there's any reason he would unleash it on his own peasants? I would also like to receive compensation for my pony..."


    *Enters the main hall, or whatever it is.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 09:59 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda asks what the letter says, and Elthan translates it for her. She seems puzzled. "A dragon?" Her surprise seems genuine. Addressing Fizahn, she adds, "I have only lived here for about a year, but the Oden Homm I know is a good man. There is no way he has "unleashed" anything on anyone. I am, however, at a loss to explain the meaning of this note..."

    She leads you into a large dining room. At the far end of the room is a fireplace, currently unlit. Doorways to either side of the fireplace presumably lead to a kitchen and/or pantry. There are enough chairs around the long dining room table to seat a dozen guests.

    The room in general is spotless, perhaps thanks to Linda, as there do not appear to be any servants in the household. You note that the walls of this dining room (which might double as a workroom) are lined with bookshelves, sagging under the weight of countless books, scrolls, and miscellaneous mechanical devices. Though overburdened, the shelves are tidy, again suggesting Linda's hand at work.

    As you enter the room, the old man from the tavern enters through one of the doors next to the fireplace at the other end of the room. His hair and beard are long, but well cared-for. He wears a simple brown robe and is carrying a tray with a large, steaming teapot. Placing it on the table, he smiles at your party.

    "Welcome! Welcome! I am so glad that you accepted my invitation! I am Oden Homm. You have already met Linda, of course. Thank you, Linda, for inviting them in. Please sit, sit!"

    He seems friendly and quite harmless, making the whole situation even more incongruous. He asks Linda to help him set the table, and soon a generous breakfast (apparently prepared by Oden himself) is laid in front of you.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *While eating the much appreciated food his host offered...*

    "So if I understand the letter you have given us, the creature that took our pony two nights ago was a dragon, more accurately, your dragon. Now I do not doubt the you did not unleash the creature, but I am curious about how it would escape. Actually, I am more interrested in where you got it, and how you managed to keep the creature. Also, your letter says you want us to slay it and not capture it back for you, it puzzles me why you do not want it anymore."

    I wonder what kind of dragon it is and why he needed or wanted one...
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern greatfully tears into the offered food, leaving conversation to the wiser*

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Master Oden, a Dragon? Is that why you've been going out into the woods not telling anyone where you would be going? And why would a dragon that is under your care would be attacking the village?

    Perhaps master Oden's dragon is not the real problem. Perhaps something else has forced it into attacking the village? This dragon must have been here for a long time, why wlse would it attack the village now?

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus"

    "I presumed the phrase 'my dragon' was meant in a purely metaphoric sense, sir. Would you care to explain?"
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Ach, you are going into the woods, swampy land, and the dragon creates magic darkness? How in the soul-forgers name did you get to controll a cursed black dragon?"

    *Tears inot a chuck of bread*

    "The question still remains, why did you summon us here? I have other pressing buisness.

    *Leans Foward*

    "However, you seem to have a large amount of magical power. What do you know about the lower planes and those that inhabit them?"

    This might be my chance...

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    A frown creases Oden Homm's face. His tone is still lighthearted, but his demeanor betrays his sadness.

    "No, the dragon is mine, as much as a wild, magical creature can belong to anyone I suppose.

    "Well, perhaps, it would be more accurate to say that the dragon (for indeed it is a dragon you are hunting) is my fault..."

    He pauses for a moment, then clears his throat before continuing...

    "I acquired the dragon egg 30 years ago, before many of you were born. I myself had already long retired from adventuring. (Perhaps you have heard of my exploits? No? Well, no matter.) Was I bored? Was I lonely? I can not say. I decided to incubate the egg...

    "When the dragon was born it was midnight-black and as shiny as a newcut gemstone. In all my years I had seen nothing to match it. I raised it in the hills, telling no one. Who in this simple village would have understood the desire to have a dragon of one's own?"

    As he says this, he looks at Taern and winks. He takes a long sip of tea before contining.

    "The chromatic dragons are reputed to be evil foul creatures, but I had always believed that nurture could win out over nature. Surely, any creature, even a black dragon, raised with love and kindness could grow up to be good?

    "Saying it aloud now I can hear the folly in my words, but for many years I raised that dragon as you might raise a child."

    Oden Homm stares off into space for a moment, remembering. Then his face darkens...

    "As he grew, he was no longer satisfied with the small game he could catch in the Orsraun foothills. I began occasionally bringing him a lamb or small pig. I tried not to notice that he seemed to delight in their suffering as he killed them.

    "He became more willful over time, harder to control. Like any adolescent, I suppose, he began to chafe against my restrictions. He began to stay out late at night roaming the hills, sleeping during the day.

    "I couldn't admit to myself that I was losing control. I refused to see that his draconic nature was beginning to express itself the only way it could.

    "It was a month ago that he turned on me and flew away..."

    Oden opens his robe slightly and reveals three long scars running along his ribcage. They have the clean look of wounds healed by magic (most of you have similar scars), but you can tell that the original slashes must have been quite deep.

    "The animal disappearances began soon afterward. The enormity of what I had done became clear to me. Unfortunately, I had no idea how to undo what had been done.

    "It pains me to say this, but it seems to me now that the dragon must be killed, and he must be killed right away. He will only grow more powerful and more evil over time. Sooner or later, he will kill a villager or an innocent traveller. His attack on your camp is evidence that his boldness increases."

    He glances at Thokk.

    "My powers are not what they once were. Even in my prime, I am not sure I could have defeated the dragon single-handedly. Therefore, your arrival in Mimleth at this time is extremely fortuitous!

    "Brave adventurers, it can not be coincidence that you have arrived in Mimleth at the same time that Taern seems to have stumbled upon the dragon's lair. Tymora smiles on us, I believe."

    He gives a half-hearted smile of his own, then looks down at his half-eaten breakfast.

    "This is my story. I felt you needed to know it."


  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    A sad story master. But I am not sure one can blame you for doing what you did. As for killing the dragon I am not sure we have to kill it. Though certainly more difficult we could compell the dragon to do what is good. In the end it might see the wrong of its ways. Is there a spell that can help us do so?


    OOC: Geas+atonement? But ofcourse my character does not know that. That is why she is asking.

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern sits in silence for some moments*

    Wow. That's terrible. Poor guy. He really had his own dragon, but it turned away from him. And now we have to kill it.There's gotta be some way he can keep his poor dragon. Maybe he could use his magic to turn it back to good!

    Say, uhh.. Oden, sir. Did you ever try and find a mage who could maybe turn your dragon back nice? It'd be a shame to.. uhh... y'know, destroy such an amazing creature. I dunno much about black dragons, heard they were pretty evil and all, but wouldnt it be worth a shot? I'd feel pretty terrible if a creature I had raised for thirty years got cut down... *looks up and sighs* Maybe not. Well, I'll gladly help a nice person like yourself. A real shame, though. *shakes her head, then fumbles around in a side-pouch and pulls out a six-sided cube and absentmindedly plays with it*

    Well, I guess there isnt much choice, but how on earth are we going to kill a dragon? I wouldnt want to hurt the poor thing if it could be made all nice again, but it doesnt look like we have much choice.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    "Personally I think we should head out immediately from the town, double back around to it's lair and try to take it by surprise."

    Dragons are crafty and you have to deal with them as carefully as possible.

    "Let's remember that the dragon is as smart...


    *Eyes Thokk.*

    "or smarter than any of us."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 09:59 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •