New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1091
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Eltahn II

*Elthan, not entirly sure why the lizardman is being so agressive, simply brushes off the thought.*

"Very well, if Lizard you wish to be called, then Lizard you shall be called."
    "Now, I have no objection to a stealthy attack, but I am not up to standing out here in the cold for hours on end just to gain a few second advantage. As Elthan said, Sethra can't be looking down every window all the time. Lets just walk in and be stealthy from there on."

(OOC: hey hey, no problem runehawk, I enjoy good roleplaying. And we really cant just stand there all the time. He's likelier to notice us loitering behind a rock than standing in the front hallway.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

2. - Top - End - #992
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

Taern frown, looking deeply worried. She maintains her crouched position behind the rock, but sneaks glances of the forboding keep whenever possible. She also looks uneasily at the corpses of the gnolls, muttering something about burning them for good luck. Finally, she adresses the party in a loud, worried whisper.

"I do not like this at all, guys. It feels as though we are walking into the jaws of a beast. I cannot shake this feeling of great forboding, as though this is all part of a plan that someone is setting up. I think that a direct, if stealthy, assault would be not good. I'm afraid we'd have to fight through lavers of Sethra's minions and magic-creatures only to get destroyed when he comes to investigate the commotion. We must find some way of entering completely undetected."

3. - Top - End - #993
    Halfling in the Playground

Graevic

"My friends, I am prepared to enact any plan we decide, but decide we must. The longer we wait, the more prepared Sethra might be. Or, worse yet, the further away he might be, leaving a a cold trail, that gets colder the longer we wait. The darkness can be our friend, to give us some cover while we approach the keep."

((Sorry for the late response. Got tied up a bit this weekend. Like I said, I'm game for whatever, but I get the feeling we need to act quickly or DR is going to start throwing baddies at us until we move. :) ))

4. - Top - End - #994

The lizardman, who had been crouched behind a large rock, returns with news.

He reports that there appears to be no activity outside of the crumbled walls of the Gray Keep. The gnoll corpses appear to be several days old, corroborating the story as told by the captured gnoll warrior.

The gates lie open. Inside the gates lie a score or more additional gnoll corpses. Aside from the birds feasting on their decomposing bodies, all seems still within.

How exactly the lizardman knows this is unclear, but he gives his report with conviction. The mist continues to thicken, dampening your bodies as well as your spirits ...

5. - Top - End - #995

As the fog thickens and daylight begins to fade, Thokk curses. "I've had enough of cowering behind these rocks. I'm going in ..."

Without looking back, Thokk draws his sword and readies his shield. He stomps across the gravel as noisily as he can until he is standing in the gateway.

He pauses for a moment, then plunges inside ...

6. - Top - End - #996
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

"I'm going in too, I agree with the Elthans, and he can't be looking through every window at once. I think we should all find different ways in, and then try to meet up back at the front gate. Thokk chose the front gate, ever so quietly and stealthily, so I guess I'll go somewhere else."

*Fizahn sneaks off toward the right side of the keep, looking for a window he can climb up into, or a gate.*

OOC: Just off the top of my head, I'll check my char sheet and then modify the post, but climb -1, move silently +8.

EDIT: off by 1 each, +0/+9.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 04:59 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

7. - Top - End - #997

Graevic

Graevic moves to follow Thokk, scimitar and kukri in hand. Aholoh watches his master leave, then scuttles off into the woods.

((Go with Thokk. Leaving Aholoh to watch the road/entrance))

8. - Top - End - #998

Graevic follows Thokk's lead, traversing the gravel plain with his weapons drawn and ready. The remains of the Gray Keep loom ever closer in the mist, and soon Graevic is at the main gate. Although he had felt a strange sense of deja vu throughout much of the journey up into the mountains, he realizes as he passes through the gate that this is now uncharted territory.

Fizahn makes his way around to the back of the Keep. The fog obscures his small form as he darts from one point to another, avoiding any decomposing gnoll corpses. The partially collapsed walls of the Gray Keep are easy to climb, fortunately, and with very little effort, the gnome is soon peering over the edge of the wall into the center of the circular base of the ruined tower.

9. - Top - End - #999

Elthan II

*Elthan, missing his chance to follow directly behind thokk, follows fizahn and climbs up the same ruined walls*

(OOC: Climb +1, move silently +0)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

10. - Top - End - #1000

Ssathiyaa:
    As he takes a step towards the tower, an instinct tugs at him not too. He furrows his brow in frustraion. Knowing that his goal, his prey possibly lies a short distance away. But he is unable to ignore his instincts.

Sethra wants us to find the tower..
    The thought plays over and over in his head.

WHY?
    No beast calls a hunter to its lair.

Semuanya. My god. Your visions have led me to the tower. What must i do..

He wanted the pinkskins here. I am the unknown. He has not prepared for me.

As he looks at the other entering the tower a picture of ants falling into an ant-lion's lair forms in his mind.
    He looks at the surroundings.We've only viewd the tower. What else is there, here?

He begins to examine the area the tower is located on. This time for any other hidden dangers.

OOC: sorry I'm just delaying my entry and i'd like to see what wilderness lore tells me what a cursory examination of the area didn't. This isn't the perimeter check my char did but me looking at things we ignored because we focused on the tower. so i'm expanding the search area.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

11. - Top - End - #1001

The lizardman scans the area before entering the Gray Keep.

The Gray Keep stands in the middle of a large circular plain atop an unnamed mountain deep within the Orsrauns. The flat plain is ringed by a number of large stones (each at least 20 to 30 ft tall) along the perimeter, creating a "crown" at the top of this mountain.

At one time, the Gray Keep probably stood proud and tall, overlooking the surrounding mountain peaks and valleys. The Keep, however, has long ago crumbled into ruin. All that is left is the base of the tower, fortified by the gnolls into a ring of stone, open to the sky.

The mist obscures the view of the rest of the mountain range, creating the illusion that the gravel plain, ringed with stones, and the remains of the Keep are an island of rock in an ocean of clouds ...

The party converges inside the stone walls of the Keep. Fizahn and Elthan II clamber over the rear wall while Thokk, Graevic, and the others enter through the main gate. No one challenges their entrance.

More gnoll bodies lie within the walls of the Keep. It appears that at least two dozen gnolls met their end here, defending their base. There are a number of firepits and some rude huts lining the perimeter. Crude weapons, refuse, and broken beams of wood lie scattered on the ground. You also note the presence of a number of rotting lizardfolk body parts. It would appear that the gnolls managed to un-animate at least some of the undead invaders before they were themselves slain.

A central area, still with intact flagstone flooring, has been cleared (whether by the gnolls or by the zombies is unclear). In the middle of this open area is a winding stone staircase leading downward into darkness. It looks like there was once a large stone seal covering the stairway, but the massive stone disc appears to have been removed and tossed aside.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern

Taern strides along as silently as possible with the others, Aercalad poised to throw. She refrains from any coversation, instead intently scanning the surroundings, looking for some undead to put to rest.

13. - Top - End - #1003

Eltahn II

*Elthan clambers down the wall into the the clearing and walks towards the staricase.*

"Well, there may not be much of a castle left, but it certainly seems the dungeon is intact. I think its clear the direction our prey went." *Elthan pauses for a moment.* "Well, shall we go investigate bowels of this complex?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"thats the spirit laddie!"

*Thokk rushes down into the pit...*

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern follows the others, keeping a keen eye out for anything hostile.

OOC: I'm gonna be hugely busy/gone from the computer for the next few days. If DR would be kind enough to NPC me 'till, say, Tuesday or Wednesday, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #1006

Your party spirals downward into the darkness, single file. Linda casts light on a stone so that she and Graevic don't lose their footing in the blackness.

The staircase winds downward for a surprising distance. Graevic points out streaks of gore along the curved walls of the stairwell. It would appear that the zombies passed this way ahead of you.

By the time you spill out of the stairwell, Thokk estimates that you've descended almost 300 ft into the mountain.

You find yourselves in an irregular natural cave 100 ft in diameter. Stalactites and stalagmites line the walls of the chamber and broken rock lies scattered across the floor. Across the cave from you is a large fracture or crevice in the rock, 10 ft wide and 20 ft high. It looks as though there is a passage into another chamber through that crevice.

Movement in the corner of the room catches your eye. The lower half of a lizardkin zombie bumps blindly into rocks and walls. Its head, arms, and torso are completely missing, but its pelvis and legs continue to function in a fashion.

17. - Top - End - #1007

Eltahn II

*Elthan stares at the half zombie, clearly unsettled*
    "Well, thats kinda creepy.. Lets move on, shall we?"

*Elthan procedes to inspect the the crevice in the wall*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

(Laughing)
    "HAHA! Look where the necromantic majik got them now! Im taller then that walking pair of legs! Heh Heh heh..."

*Thokk continues to titter and laugh, in a very un-Thokkish manner*

19. - Top - End - #1009

Elthan

While the rest of the party entered the staircase:

"I'll meet with the rest of you down there, I will stay up here and examine the ruins."

Elthan looks around, giving particular attention to the lizardmen/zombies, that he is seeing for the first time. He also, examines and searches the gnoll, and the ruins of the keep in general. He is looking for a clue of what happened to it.

OOC: Search +2, Knowledge Arcana +8, Spot +1
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

I don't really think we should split up. If the zombies went this way we might face up more opposition than we can manage. I wonder though. If the zombies combined to bigger and bigger abominations in that fight, how did they walk down the stairs? They appear to be human-sized stairs...

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Ssathiyaa:

On seeing the animated dead lizardkin bumbling around, the druid freezes and then springs purposefully forward, with a determined stride. His intention to rend the decaying half-figure into motionless pieces clear to those with him.

Unless his instincts or one of the others calls him to stop, it does not seem like Ssathiyaa will..

Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

22. - Top - End - #1012

Elthan lingers behind up at the surface studying the lizardfolk body parts intently. Whatever dark energy had animated them once seems to have dissipated. Elthan had heard from the others about the magic gems powering the zombies, but he finds no trace of any them. Presumably the gems disintegrated once their magical energies were discharged.

The gnoll corpses are unremarkable, though Elthan has to wave off the buzzards in order to inspect them. The carrion birds flap over to the walls of the Keep and eye Elthan darkly, as if anticipating eating his flesh soon.

Elthan can see that the tower crumbled (or was destroyed) long ago, but more recently stones had been replaced and the walls reinforced. It appears that the gnolls had created a servicable fort to live within. The original gate had likewise been restored, but it looks as though the undead must have battered it down, because the heavy wooden doors lie in splintered pieces on the ground.

Down below, Linda knits her brow as she tries to figure out how the undead zombies could have made it down the stairs. If the zombies reassembled by threes into amalgams like the behemoth she fought in the Wetwoods, then the stairs would indeed have been a tight squeeze. She pictures the hulking zombies lumbering their way down the stairs - no wonder they left the trails of gore on the walls that Graevic pointed out.

The lizardman goes to work on the half-zombie, and in short order reduces the flesh into mere fragments of quivering tissue. In triumph, he holds up a small dark gem. A faint purple glow within the gem fades to black, then the gem crumbles into dust.

Thokk, Taern, and Elthan II peer through the crevice into the next chamber. The next cave is large, round, and domed, perhaps 60 ft in diameter. Faint phosporescence from a dozen wall sconces allows everyone to perceive intricate carvings worked into the stone walls.

As you peer into this chamber from the crevice, you can make out a round portal of some kind, 10 ft in diameter, set into the wall opposite from you. Distorted images flicker across the portal, as if it is displaying scenes from distant times or perhaps distant places.

Scattered across the floor of the cave are dozens of lizardfolk body parts, arms, legs, tails, heads, and torsos. Some of the body parts still twitch spasmodically, but clearly something or someone has all but obliterated the zombies that entered this chamber.

There are runes scratched into the floor at your feet. Some are written in the cursive script you saw throughout the crypts in the Wetwood, some appear to be abyssal, but others are recognizable as draconic text:

NONE.BUT.SETHRA.MAY.ENTER

23. - Top - End - #1013

Elthan II
    (Dang descriptors, they get me everytime.)
    *Elthan reads the draconic writing.*
    "None but Sethra may enter. I was hoping for something more cryptic, but looters cant be choosers. I wouldn't suggest going into there just yet."
    *Elthans attention is diverted by the lizard mans brutall slaying of the undead lower half.*
    "Well, I think you've thouroghly killed the undead now. I wonder why it was bumping into this wall. Perhaps it was trying to get to a passage its upper half had entered, but its lower half had not. Thokk, does your dwarven expertise tell you anything strange about this wall here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Elthan:

After examining the ruins and the corpses, Elthan goes down the staircase and heads for the rest of the party.

Coming from behind the party: "Looters? We are not looters. In fact, we are trying to correct a mistake that looting got us into."
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

25. - Top - End - #1015

Thokk examines the area where the zombie was. He finds no signs of any secret passage. The walls appear to be natural stone.

Taern scratches her head, then suggests, "Maybe the zombie thing got cut in half in the other room and wandered out here by accident? You know, since it couldn't see and all?"

26. - Top - End - #1016

Fizahn:

"He's right, we're not looters, not this time... Hypothetically, just how many booby traps could you place on a portal, and how would I find ones that were just inside of it?"

*Fizahn examines the portal, his brow furrowing in frustration.*

"What am I going to do about magical traps. How much time do I have to do it, are we in a hurry? I'd better get to work, I foresee a long, hard job ahead of me."

*Fizahn heads toward the portal, and stops to examine the ground between the warnings and the portal.*

OOC: Search check, +8(?), but he'll take twenty if everyone says they don't need to rush it.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 05:00 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Fizahn starts to enter the portal chamber through the crevice, but Taern grabs him from behind with one hand and drags him back into the main cave. "Are you sure it's safe to enter? We don't know what killed ... er ... re-killed those zombies in there. Plus that warning sounds pretty clear cut - only Sethra's allowed in there, and last time I checked, we're not him ..."

28. - Top - End - #1018

Graevic

Graevic nods at Taern's warning, concentration evident on his face. "True, WE are not Sethra. However, I WAS Sethra, at least for a moment. Not that I'm willing to wager our collective lives on the fact something remembers my face."

((OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts. Been getting adjusted to new classes in college. Should be good now))

29. - Top - End - #1019

Eltahn II

"Well, I for one have the desire to live slightly longer than a week. Something may sence a bit of Sethra still in you, but since you havent been here, I highly doubt it would recognize your face. Perhaps we should bet on what we know rather than what it does."

*Elthan walks oved to the still twitching piece of the dismembered lizardman. He picks up one of the larger pieces and walks back to the crevice, where he throws it as hard as he can through the crevice, expecting a trap to go off.*
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

30. - Top - End - #1020

The rotted chunk of flesh flies through the crevice and lands with a splat inside the rune covered cave.

Nothing happens.

Elthan II tries a couple other pieces of zombie for good measure, but no traps are triggered. Fizahn examines the crevice carefully but does not find any evidence of any traps.

Across the cave from you, the portal continues to show tantalizing glimpses of people and places, though it's hard to make out exactly what is on the other side from where you are standing.