Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 1091
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    "I... I had thought..."

    A dragon! A young dragon! I don't wanna get messed up in this, no way.

    "Sir, I think you have a responsibility to deal with this problem yourself. It did originate with you, after all. This is more than we can handle by ourselves - we wanted to see if we could help the village with a minor threat, not deal with a menace."
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern looks sharply to Philodus*

    He sounds like he's afraid!

    I'm not scared of a juvenile dragon! I'm sure, if we must kill him, he will fall to my axe, just like every other foe. Tymora will smile upon us and grant us victory.

    I cant stand someone who backs down from an honorable fight.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Ephiliastokles

    *Frowns and strokes his goatee thoughtfully. He speaks softly, almost to himself...*

    "It would be unethical to compel a good person to perform evil deeds, would it not? Would it not then be equally unethical to force an evil creature to perform good deeds against his will..."

    ...just so that he can be a plaything for a lonely old man?


    Oden Homm

    "I sense the rebuke in your words, Ephiliastokles. I do not deny that I acted selfishly and unwisely. It was wrong of me to try to make the dragon something other than what he was born to be."

    Turning to Taern and Linda, he shrugs, "In any case, I have not the power to compel the dragon to be good, even had I the right to do so."

    He continues, "And Philodus, you are right. This is my fault, and I can not begrudge you your caution. It is no small thing to take down a dragon. Even a small one..."

    He holds his head up in the air about a foot and a half over his head, to indicate the size of the dragon.

    "All I can do is ask for your help."


  4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    "I be willing to do this. It woudl be for the better of the honor of my clan"

    May their souls rest in peace

    "But, old man, i wish for somethign in return. If we takle this dragon for you, i would like to know everything you know about the lower planes, and their inhabitants. You bookish folk know alot for your short livespans about the acured realms."

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm

    "Sir Thokk, that bargain would be easy to make, but sadly would be much to your disadvantage. I have lived long, yes, but have had little interest in cosmology and even less direct experience with the planes.

    "For you and those that would help me, however, I would propose a different bargain. I have selected some items from my adventuring days that I believe you may find useful. They are yours to keep once the dragon has been... taken care of."

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    THOKK Dwarf
    THOKK DWARF
    THOKK Dwarf

    "For the honor of the Mithral Guard, I shall help you."

    *Looks at everyone else*

    "Agreed?"

    "Old man, we need help though. This dragon of yours likes to use magical darkness, that which even i cannot see through. What do you have that can cut through that, or else let our blows strike true? Also, what is its name. That might confuse it, and give us precious moments in battle."


  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda the White ;D

    I believe I can deal with the darkness by creating magical light to counter it unless ofcourse the effect is too powerful. I can make your blades or arrows shed light so you can carry them around and see through that darkness or you can stick an arrow in the dragon so it sheds light and it can't hide. But I still believe we should give that dragon a choice to atone for its deeds-it is not as if it has done some terrible evil yet. It might just be rebbelious because he is just an adolescent-ther might still be time to correct him. Should we not try?
    *Linda turns inquisitively at master Oden*

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Philodus:

    *becomes increasingly angry*

    "Did you even send word to an authority before you penned your note to us? Does anyone else even know about this?

    How long were you going to wait? Until entire flocks vanished? Until someone died?

    How can you treat your irresponsibility so... casually?
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm

    When Thokk mentions the darkness, Oden Homm nods and replies, "Yes, I have seen him use the darkness when hunting, the same way a squid uses its ink... I believe that this should help." He scans his shelves, then pulls a scroll down off a top shelf and lays it on the table.

    When Thokk asks the dragon's name, Oden laughs. "I chose a name for him once when he had just learned to fly, pilinn ned'wilith - 'arrow in the air' - but he didn't seem to like it, so I gave up and just called him 'dragon.' Perhaps the elvish language didn't agree with him..."

    ...

    Oden places a hand on Linda's shoulder. "Young sorceress-in-training, I should have known that you would seek to put yourself in harm's way. You show great promise, yes, but you are young yet and not quite as clever as you seem to think you are.

    "However, if I have learned anything from my... experience... with the dragon, it is that adolescents are stubborn and willful and will have their own way. If this band of adventurers will have you, I know that I can not stop you from going to fight the dragon.

    "Let me say this however: Your proposal to reason with the dragon is as naive as your belief that your cantrips will negate the dragon's dark magic. If ever you have heeded my advice, do so now. Tread carefully and know your place."

    His lecture over, Oden returns to his shelves, carefully selecting small boxes and another scroll to place on the table.

    ...

    He looks levelly back into Philodus' eyes. "To whom should I have appealed? Before last night, what could I have told them? Where could I have sent them?

    "Your party was planning to head unwittingly into the dragon's lair this morning with nothing but the weapons on your backs. Should I have remained silent and hoped for the best?

    "Last night I judged that you and your friends had the courage and ability to help me right this wrong. If I was mistaken, then I will simply have to come up with another solution to this problem before it is too late. The responsibility is mine. I have admitted as much more than once. What else would you like me to say?"

    This one I have indeed misjudged...

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *with a sharp look at Philodius, Taern grins at Oden*

    I will take up your quest, Oden. I will join the others, if they will have me, and, if the signs are right, we will return victorious.

    Fame and glory! This is my chance!

  11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan, 1/2 Elf

    Trying to turn a black dragon good, what a laughable concept!

    "Your proposal seems more than fair. I accept the task, as it will certainly test my skills in the arcane arts. I am also interested in what you know and what you have learned about dragons."

    *Takes a look at the scroll.*

    "What exactly is the spell that this scroll holds?"

    "Also I hope I speak for the rest of the group when I say that new adventurers are welcome in our group."

    *Looks at Tearn and Linda*
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm

    "That is a daylight spell, master Elthan. It should have power enough to counter the dragon's darkness."

    Oden arranges another scroll, 3 potions, and two small boxes on the table. Fizahn, Thokk, Taern, Linda, and Elthan observe closely. Philodus and Ephiliastokles hang back, however, scowling.

    "He will fight you tooth and nail. Beware also his wings; they are more powerful than they might appear. His most potent weapon, of course, is his acid. I have seen him burn the flesh off of a small deer from 60 ft away...

    "Having spent more time in the Orsraun hills than in the Wetwood, he seems to have developed a taste for red meat, the more putrid, the better. I recall many times seeing his latest catch 'ripening' in a pool or pond for days before being eaten. Thus, Taern's discovery was a critical one. His lair is no doubt close by to the pond she described.

    "He will be sleeping at this time of the day. If we can catch him by surprise, we have a chance. He must not gain open ground or the sky. If he does, he will either outrun us or simply fly away, and we will have lost perhaps our only opportunity to end this before more animals or any people are hurt."

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "What else do you know of this dragons sleeping habits? When does he feed, and where might his lair be? Also, are you trained in the use of alchemy? I have seen alchemsits create many substances, such as fire that sticks to the skin and jelly that traps the individual to the ground. If this beast is going to be trying to use Darkness, I suggest we try and throw the Sticky Fire at the beast, so it will be easier to see and hopefully char off some flesh. Also, one of these sticky bags right into the beasts mouth shoudl delay the acid, correct?"

    Just like the old days, strike force ready to roll out

    "Finally, what are these items you place infront of us?"

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan, Half-Human:

    I wonder if I still have my scroll of fly? I don't think it would match the speed of the dragon in the air, and I don't think I could match the dragon in combat in the air...

    *Looks at Oden*

    "Master Oden, do you know if the dragon moves swiftly in the air?"

    Still, if it tries to fly away I could get his attention this way and maybe get him to come back...
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    "I'm in and I will give my new companions a chance."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 10:02 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm

    Oden Homm scratches his beard.

    "Master Elthan, it is hard for me to say exactly how fast he can fly. No doubt several times faster than any of us could run. As I said, he must not gain the sky."

    ...

    "Sir Thokk, your creativity matches your boldness, but I doubt that even Alchemist's Fire would be very illuminating in dragon's darkness. I do, however, have some that you may take with you. I believe I still have a Tanglefoot Bag lying around somewhere too, now that you mention it."

    He turns and rummages through some wooden drawers, inset into the bookshelves, before turning back and placing two dark green glass flasks and a melon-sized round leather sphere on the table.

    He then points to the items on the table, "A scroll of passwall, two potions of cure light wounds and a potion of cure serious wounds."

    He then opens one of the small boxes. A small light blue crystalline tetrahedron floats into the air, suspended at roughly eye level.

    Opening the other, he picks up a thin gold chain from which is suspended a single gold sphere.

    "Both this ioun stone and this (slightly used) necklace of fireballs have seen me through many adventures in my younger days. Let us hope they prove as valuable now as they did then.

    "Master Fizahn, I have not yet addressed the matter of your lost pony. I have no ponies of my own, but you are welcome to any of my horses, in compensation."

    He looks out a window at the rising sun.

    "It may take us several hours to find Taern's pond and perhaps additional time to locate the dragon's lair. I believe that we should set off soon."



    OOC: The ioun stone grants a +1 Insight bonus to AC. The necklace holds one remaining 5d6 fireball.

    ...

    Added for continuity: Ephiliastokles, shakes his head when he is offered the Tanglefoot Bag and the potion. "I am sorry, friends, but Philodus and I will not be accompanying you. Haven't we all put our lives on the line enough in the past? What business of ours is this old man's dragon? This is not a cause I am willing to die for."

    Ephiliastokles mounts his horse and heads back to Mimleth. Philodus walks at his side. Neither look back.

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Thanks wee lad, we will return when the fell beast is gone. And we shall try to do it as humanly as possible. Is there any token that you wish for us to return with?"


  18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern quietly rummages through her pouches, tightens straps, and makes sure everything is where it should be, obviously ready to leave as soon as possible*

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan, human-elf hybrid:

    "What I had in mind for the question about how fast a dragon flies is the fact that I think I have a scroll of fly with my equipment. I doubt it would be faster than the dragon but then again I have never seen a dragon fly..."

    It could also be used in an other way this scroll if it can't keep chase to the dragon.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    Hmmm... It would probably be hard to ride a light horse, but I could always use it as my pack animal, and I could probably trade it for a pony and then some.

    "I accept your offer of the horse. I would also like the ion stone, but I'm sure someone who doesn't wear armor has first claim to it, or we could give it to Thokk to try to make him a juggernaut."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 10:02 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda the White

    *Linda readies herself, packing up her stuff and not forgetting to take a small pouch then ties it to her belt*
    I am ready to go when you are *she exclaims*.

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "PANSIES"

    "By Moradins beard, this just got harder"

    "Ill take the potion of CSW. Lets get all this stuff together and move out. Oden, woudl it be possible for me to leave some supplies here? I dont want to be bogged down by some of my tools."

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Edited for continuity. Philodus' and Ephiliastokles' departure added to my previous post.

    ...

    As the remaining members of the party load up and check their gear, Linda and Oden Homm disappear, only to reappear riding light horses. A peasant accompanies them on foot, leading a third horse, which is given to Fizahn.

    You set off for Taern's pond. Along the way you discuss the tactics you plan to use against the dragon. You return to the main road, then head away from Mimleth, back towards your former camp. As you near the Wetwoods, you leave the main road, cutting northwest toward the Shining Plains.

    It takes about 2 hours, riding briskly, to reach the general area that Taern described. It is after noon, but the sun is still high, by the time a foul stench guides you to to the exact pond Taern had encountered three days ago. As she described, it is surrounded by several low knolls.

    Your party consists of Oden Homm, Linda, Thokk, Taern, Elthan, and Fizahn. You dismount to search the area, leaving the horses tied some distance away. The stench makes them (and you) uneasy. The boggy ground sucks at your boots, and you cover your faces as best you can to avoid retching from the putrid fumes rising from the "marinating" cadavers.

    Oden Homm looks at the floating corpses and nods. "Yes, this is the work of the dragon. His lair must be nearby."

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk

    "You had the dragon for a long time, where did he make den before he left? Would he possibly in the water itself, or more likely to be in a cave in the ground?"

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Master Oden, you were going to the dragon regularly, no? But then it flew away, yes? Perhaps it returned to its den?

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm

    "Indeed, Sir Thokk, I have heard of black dragons living in underwater lairs, but this dragon was raised in the Orsraun foothills and has always laired under rocks or in caves. I suspect that he has found some sort of similar arrangement nearby.

    "Linda, do you really think I would not have thought to look for the dragon in his old cave? I am old and weakened, but not senile! I have been searching for him for a month.There has been no sign on him at his usual haunts. He definitely did not return to his former lair in the hills north of Mimleth.

    "We know that these adventurers were attacked just two nights ago near here, and we are here in the Wetwood standing in front of a pond filled with some of the dragon's victims. I think that it is obvious that the dragon, true to its nature, has relocated here to this bog.

    "It is mid-day. He is sleeping, holed up in his lair, for certain. The entrance to it is undoubtedly hidden or blocked. In the hills, he would always move a large stone or tree trunk to block the entrance to his cave before sleeping. I have no doubt he is doing something similar here in the Wetwood.

    "Perhaps we should split up? Our time is limited, and as long as we are reasonably quiet, I am not concerned that we will wake up the dragon."

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern nods her head*

    That dragon will not stand a chance against out allied might! If it is asleep, I bet we could just charge right in and cut it to pieces! Ha! This will be interesting... Damn these flies!

    *Angrily, she swats at the blood-sucking marsh flies common to such areas*

    Yeah. We should split up. We'll find the beast easier if we are in more groups.

    *Looks over the assembled party of adventurers*

    Maybe half of us should scout the hills to the east, and the other half scout to the west. If you find something, shout real loud to get the other parties attention. If the entrance is blocked, I'm sure that Thokk or me could move any boulders or trees easily. Oh, and try not to wake the dragon up, either. We want to suprise it. So... uhh... who goes which way?

    What a great plan. Once all of us are next to the lair, I'll move the boulder, and all of us will charge in! It will be glorious! If only it was some sort of beast, and not a dragon, I would truely feel pride. Well, if it needs to be cut to pieces, so be it. Even if it is a dragon.

  28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Taern, i doubt that shouting real loud is the best of ideas. Have you ever tried tackling down one of these? They hear almost everything, and see most things also. Spliting up is a decent idea, but we need a better signal. There is plenty of wet vegitation right here. I think a better idea woudl be to start a small fire infront of the cave, and burn some wet plants. That will send up a decent amount of smoke and steam, keep quiet, and provide a base of operations before venturing in. And for the love of your beard, make the fire downwind of the cave. Sound good?"

    Just like old times...

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Erikkin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    WV

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Fizahn, gnome:

    "I agree with that plan, although since the dragon is asleep we could all scout by ourselves and we should arranage a birdcall or something so that the dragon doesn't detect anything out of the ordinary."

    I sure hope Oden is right about it's sleeping habits.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 10:03 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

    Fizahn avatar by Koji.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    Well... I dont think I could call like a bird, no matter how hard I tried. Uhh...so someone who -can- should come with me.

    Bah. Calling like a bird. A proper war-cry would be better. But whatever the group thinks we should do...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •