Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1091
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Without a moment's hesitation, Thokk plunges into the doorway roaring, "MORADIN!!!" With his armor aglow, he streaks into the barrow like a slow, squat comet.

    The daylight emanating from Thokk illuminates a round 70 ft wide split level chamber. The center of the room is a shallow (only 5 ft deep) pit, 50 ft in diameter, leaving a 10 ft wide ring/ledge around the perimeter of the room. The ceiling is a low arched dome, 15 feet high at its apex.

    The black dragon, roughly 12 feet long, crouches in the exact center of the room, alert and hissing. His "bed" appears to be a corroded metal disc, about 10 ft in diameter set into the center of the floor.

    Thokk leaps down into the central area and crashes directly into the dragon, his bastard sword plunging deep into the beast's shoulder.

    Almost simultaneously, both Thokk and the dragon are engulfed in flame. *THOOOM!!!* Fizahn (no longer concerned about stealth) had pushed the stone he had been pinned under aside and, rising, had hurled the fireball directly at the dragon, inadvertently catching Thokk in its blast.

    Rolling and twisting with the explosion, the black dragon skitters off to the side, leaps up onto the ledge, and places its back against the curved wall. Thokk, literally steaming, follows up his initial attack with more slashes, "Come back here ye pansy!"

    Stunned and lightly charred, the dragon crouches defensively and a thick black mist forms around him. Spreading quickly, like blood in water, the billowing clouds of darkness fill more than half of the room. Only Thokk's glowing armor prevents the entire chamber from being plunged into complete darkness. As it is, the dragon's form becomes obscured by shadow.

    Elthan steps into the chamber cautiously. Taking a few steps off to the side, along the ledge, he takes aim and fires at the dragon with his crossbow. His aim is true, even through the shadowy darkness, but the bolt ricochets off of the dragon's armored hide.

    Taern hesitates at first, confused, but after the detonation of the fireball, she too charges into the room, a war chant rising in her throat. Taking in the situation at a glance, she veers left, brushes past Elthan, and runs toward the dragon along the curved outer ring.

    Oden Homm and Linda cautiously make their way into the room last. Oden completes a last protective spell, whereas Linda, heart pounding, fires twin blasts of arcane energy toward the dragon. She can barely see the dragon in the shadows, but her sorcery finds its mark. One magic missile hits the dragon square in the chest, causing him to cry out in rage and pain.


    OOC: Please submit round 2 actions, including "pre rolls" for attacks and damage.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    That thing is huge! For honor!

    *Taern digs in her heels, and with her axe held firmly in both hands, sprints towards the beast, yelling in Elvish*

    For honor! For glory!
    Tymora shine upon us, as our weapons flash in the sunlight!
    Our foes will fall before our swinging blades!
    Run in terror, foe, for the Strongroot clan has come!
    Your blood will paint the ground!
    Your corpse will feed the trees!
    Luck is on our side!
    For honor! For glory!
    To battle!


    *Taern lets out a roar unusually loud and deep for one of her statue as she sprints towards the dragon, eyes greener than usual*

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk

    "Lass, enough singing, more fighting!"

    *Looks toward Fizan*

    "And wee one, watch where you throw that thing!"

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern's chanting echoes throughout the chamber. Only Elthan and Oden Homm understand her words, but all who hear Taern's voice feel their blood rise.

    ...

    Thokk charges toward the ledge, grabs its edge, and tries to pull himself up. Weighed down with his armor, shield, and sword, however, he is unable to get any purchase on the smooth, damp stone. "AARGGH!!!" he cries out in frustration.

    Meanwhile, Fizahn has been patting down his pockets. Where is the Alchemist's Fire? He can't find the flasks. Did he forget to take them? "Blast!" Instead he loads his light crossbow, raises it and fires at the dragon. The bolt glances off of the dragon's back harmlessly. "Blast!"

    The dragon fixes his gaze on Oden (his old "master") and Linda (who has just seared him with arcane fire). His jaws open and he sprays them with black ichor from 50 ft away. Neither is able to dodge out of the way in time. Linda is badly burned on her left arm and shoulder, her white robes now stained a sickly gray-green. If not for Oden's protective spells, the damage could have been much worse. Oden himself however has not fared quite as well. Angry burns cover most of his body, and he can barely stand supporting himself against the stone doorframe.

    The dragon then launches himself off the ledge, over Thokk's head, gliding/scrambling to the opposite side of the pit. Thokk tries to slash the dragon in mid-air, but his blade slides off of the dragon's belly plates without getting a good bite.

    Elthan has reloaded his crossbow and tracks the dragon's movement across the room. But seeing that the dragon is more vulnerable to magic than crossbow bolts, he lowers his crossbow and sends two magic missiles of his own instead. One seems to only crease the dragon, but one strikes solidly, and the dragon reels.

    Taern skids to a stop where the dragon was a moment ago. They face each other from opposite ends of the chamber. The dragon almost seems to be laughing at her.

    Linda turns to her mentor. Murmuring words of comfort, she tries to seal his open wounds as best she can. Oden gasps, "The dragon must not escape!"


    OOC: Please submit round 3 actions.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "Linda use magic missles, it seems to be able to penetrate its scaly hide much easier than weapons!"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk

    "Speak for yourself! Dwarfen steel is biting into the beasties hide just fine! Also, whoever has the tanglefoot bag should throw it soon!"

    *Looks up at the dragon as he charges it*

    "Pilinn ned'wilith, arrow in the wind, or whatever your name is, Get ready to die!"

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk launches himself across the pit. As he crosses back over the metal disc, his boots ring hollowly. He is too focused on his attack to dwell on this, however. The force of his attack knocks the dragon backward, and Thokk's bastard sword slashes deeply into the dragon's exposed flank. Thokk grins in satisfaction.

    Fizahn shoots another crossbow bolt, but it goes wide, shattering against the stone wall. "Blast!"

    The dragon is furious. His jaws clamp down on Thokk's shield arm. You can hear a metallic crinkling as a vambrace starts to buckle, but it holds. The dragon's claws tear at Thokk, and one actually rips away part of his cuirass, raking Thokk's ribs. The dragon's wings beat at Thokk as well, and one clips him on his temple, lightly stunning him for a moment.

    Taern sees an opening and, taking a flying leap off of the ledge, charges across the pit to fight shoulder to shoulder with Thokk. Her chant rises in volume and intensity.

    Taern's axe doesn't find its mark, but as Thokk, Taern, and the dragon battle, bolt after bolt of searing white light slam into the dragon from Elthan's and Linda's fingertips. The dragon's expression changes. It no longer seems to sneer. The expression is... fear?


    OOC: Round 3 ends. Time for round 4...

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk slashes again and again at the dragon, drawing more blood.

    Fizahn throws down his crossbow in disgust and charges toward the dragon, leaps off the ledge, and lands on the dragon's back. Before he can plunge his rapier into the dragon's spine, however, he is thrown off. He rolls to his feet, rapier at the ready.

    The dragon, desperate, shifts to the side and blasts both Thokk and Taern with another spray of acid. Thokk takes the acid point blank in his chest. Sizzling, he screams out in agony. Taern is spared the worst of it, thanks to Thokk, but she too feels searing pain as some of the backsplash lands on her shoulder and back.

    Her eyes flashing, she brings her war axe down on the dragon's skull with enough force to split an oak log in two. Her hands sting from the impact, but amazingly, the dragon continues to fight. He seems only more angry (if possible).

    Elthan and Linda continue to blast the dragon from a distance with magic missiles. Linda is simultaneously yelling out in draconic, asking the dragon to surrender. The dragon ignores her. This could be because he doesn't understand draconic or because she is simultaneously blasting him with magic missiles as she asks for peace. Oden stands in the doorway, clutching an old silver dagger. He makes no offensive actions, but continues to watch the dragon closely.

    Black blood drips from the dragon's hide. His movements are slower now, and more desperate. The dragon's eyes flicker to the doorway, protected only by an old man and a young girl...


    OOC: Round 4 ends. See note in OOC thread regarding possibility of capturing the dragon alive.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda the White

    Linda will get ready to blast the dragon if he attempts to escape or attack but will not attack him first. She says out in common:
    "We don't have to kill him, perhaps we can subdue him?" then speak to the dragon again without attacking in draconic:
    "I won't attack you if you surrender. We don't have to kill you if you do"

    OOC: Dunno if I can ready MM while doing free actions, can I? Oh and did you get the rolls I sent you?

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *blood pounding in her ears, she finally stops singing, and lets out another roar. She continues to dance around the dragon, and swing her big axe with as much force as she can muster.*

    You are finished! Your luck has run out!

    rrrrAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

    It will fall!

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Tis the end of the line for you, dragon."

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan :

    "We almost have it! Don't let it get away!"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, covered from head to toe in ichor, staggers back from the melee, groping for a healing potion.

    Fizahn steps into his place and, lunging, thrusts his rapier into the dragon's neck.

    The dragon twists away and makes a break for the doorway. He dodges a mighty swing of Taern's axe, but Fizahn manages a second thrust into the dragon's back.

    The dragon scrambles up and over the ledge, and is about to crash through Oden and Linda into the open bog beyond, when Elthan's final volley of magic missiles strikes home. The dragon collapses into a smoking heap at Oden's feet.


    OOC: End round 5. End combat.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Twas a good fight, and a decent foe."

    *Bows Head*

    Prays to Moradin

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *He sits down leaning on a wall.*

    "I'm exhausted!!!"

    *Jumps back up to his feet.*

    "Is everyone alright?"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Now that is done, what now old man? I believe we should take a token back to the townsfolk. Also, if possible, i would like to have part of the scale of the dragon. My clan used to use certain dragon scale for armour, very effective. Finally, i believe some searching of the barrows is in order. If we all spead out, search, and return with anything we find. Agreed?"

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Panting heavily, Taern drops her axe, and looks at the others. Rummaging around in her pouch, she pulls out a six-sided cube, and a small feather.*

    Though the dragon was evil, at one point, it was a valiant beast. I ask that we move the corpse outside so that I may honor the dead in a fitting way. It would not do to desecrate such a noble beast. Please, help me move it, so that it might go to it's resting place in a manner befitting a creature so proud.

    If I have ever seen a strong fighter, this is one. It deserves an honored ceremony. I hope these others are wise enough to see that.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Oden Homm kneels down and strokes the dragon's head gently. He whispers something quietly, perhaps a goodbye, perhaps words of regret.

    He stands, seemingly at a loss for words. Eventually, he says simply and without irony, "Adventurers, you have my deepest gratitude."

    Moving to Thokk, Taern, and Linda, in turn, he quickly tends to their burns.


    OOC: Oden casts cure light wounds on Thokk, Taern, and Linda.

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Belial_the_Leveler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Linda the White

    "I am sorry we had to kill your dragon in the end master Oden but it seems there was no other way. As for what we do now, a good start would be to search the cave thoroughtly. The dragon raided the village several times and the countryside around it too. He might have already eaten some poor traveller or villager. We must search the cave to find what we can find-should we find any human bodies we should return them to their families for a proper burial. And I believe one of you had his pony eaten? We might not be able to recover the eaten pony but the dragon couldn't have eaten the items it was carrying. The same would apply to other abducted animals-especially those from stables or caravans"

    Linda waits for the others to decide on the matter while she tends to her clothes using her magic to clean them and make some minor repairs (pestidrigitation)

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    The party quickly splits up to check out the chamber and to recover any intact crossbow bolts (unfortunately all are broken). Thokk does find a dragon claw embedded into one of the pieces of armor the dragon had torn away. It's not the dragon's head, but it's better than nothing.

    The room is as described previously. It is disappointingly empty. It occurs to you that at one time, long ago, the circular central pit might have been filled with water. The 10 ft diameter metal disc in the center of the room appears to be some sort of large seal. It appears that the dragon did not eat its victims here. There are no bones or, sadly, treasure in evidence.

    After the initial survey, the party gathers to help Taern carry the dragon's body outside. Thokk grumbles under his breath about the waste.

    The sun is shining brightly. It is still mid-afternoon.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *Goes over to the dragon and takes a not too damaged scale and pockets it.*

    "The metal disc interests me."

    *Goes over to the metal disc and starts studying it.*

    OOC: Knowlede arcana? spellcraft? something else?
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "If we must honor the body we must, but i doubt this dragon will be needing its scale anymore. DragonScale armor is very strong, not to mention water proof, rust-proof, and fire-resistant. Lads, you have not fought in half the fights i have, and i remember from experience, DragonScale is worth it."

    *Looks to the others*

    "One of you said this area seems to be an old burial area. While we are here, while the elf is 'giving thanks' or whatever, i suggest we scout the barrows for anything inside them."

    *Moves to Fizan*

    "Wee one, when i was running over the disk, it made a strange, reverberating sound. Ill help you search it."

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Taern kneels next to the body, and carefully places the cube inside the dragon's mouth, then slowly chants a prayer in elvish*

    We honor the fallen this day. Luck was on our side, yet the fallen fell with valor. May they return to their resting place with honor, and be remembered through the rest of time.

    *With that, Taern carefully places the feather on the back of the dragon, and mutters the word "saceelea". The feather spins, whirls, and stretches, morphing into an enormous tree.*

    OOC: Taern uses a feather token: tree. I'll leave it up to Daring_Rogue to say what the effect is on the body.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    In an eyeblink, there is a massive oak where the dragon once lay. The leaves of the tree shade you where you stand. Its roots plunge deep into the bog, taking the body of the dragon with it.

    ...

    The group then re-enters the barrow. Elthan and Fizahn are already crouched around the metal disc, examining it closely.

    The disc appears to be heavily corroded iron. It is bolted to the stone floor of the pit, but light knocking reveals that there is clearly an opening below.

    There is also an inscription, barely visible under the rust, that runs in a continuous spiral from the center of the disc outward to the rim. It is in no language that any of you are familiar with.




    OOC: Thokk is no longer disabled, but still retains two hits, and his armor is badly damaged. Taern, Linda, and Oden, though "healed" in game terms, still have burns that will take time to fully disappear. Please update your character sheets to reflect any equipment changes including the dragon claw and scale that Thokk and Elthan can keep.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground
     
    sacreddeamon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Thokk, Dwarf

    "Ach, by Moradin Beard, what have you done?"

    *Waves Finger disapointly at Taern*

    "Lassie, you are now buying me a new suit of Armor, me being unable to use this one, AND YOU GETTING RID OF MY FUTURE COAT!"

    *Walks away, rumbling obcenities in Dwarfen*

    Sacred anvil, what will the elves do next?

    *Yells*
    "Old one, come over here. We need some someone to translate."

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *He look at the metal disc and starts chanting a spell.*

    OOC: I cast detect magic on the seal, if it reveals magical, I will concentrate for the three rounds and try to find out what school it is from.
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan gazes intently at the disc. He senses some faint magic, but the more he studies the disc, the more convinced he becomes that the magic radiates not from the disc, but from behind the disc. A few more moments allow him to specify that the magic is some form of abjuration.

    At Thokk's request, Oden Homm studies the writing on the disc, frowning. "This is no language I know or have encountered before..."

    He takes some soot from a belt pouch and mixes it with some salt from another pouch. Sprinkling the grains over the metal disc he mumbles to himself as he studies the inscription for a couple of minutes...

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    *He starts studying the metal disck closely to find a way to remove it or open it.*
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pullman, WA

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Taern Torminson

    *Offended, Taern walks inside the barrow*

    Dwarf, your words are misplaced. Would you have so readily marred the honored dead? I dont "owe" you anything. I was merely performing the proper ritual which would let the dragon rest in peace. At one point it was a nice creature, and in any case, it was an honorable foe. I know that you might have the need to pratice some... sort of savage customs, but have a care. It is almost like the drow or demons would do, to skin the corpse of an enemy. Please, be a little nicer in the future. It would make you many more friends than enemies.

    *looks over at the activities over the seal*

    What's that? Should I break it open?

    These barbarian dwarves never cease to amaze me. Whatever will they think of next? Trying to skin the fallen corpses.. shameful.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The nordic wastelands

    Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

    Elthan:

    "Actually, you could help to try and find a way to open it...but if that fails, hack away."

    Either way I want to know what is behind...
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •