New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sarloc's Heir [IC]

Thokk, Dwarf

"Ah, looks to be a good day to be in those caves. Being underground is always better then being in this wide open sky."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, those caves might not be as empty as they now seem. For one, outlaws might have made hideouts of them. Or even wild creatures such as wolves or bears. It is still quite early so we should start exploring however, I don't think we should split this time. Can anyone of you heal wounds like I can? If not, splitting is a ad idea. It might take us more time to search the barrows that way but it will be safer.

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn, gnome:

"I'm the advanced scout, just point me in the direction we're going and I'll make sure there's nothing too dangerous there."

I doubt we'll be able to take anyone by surprise with Thokk and his armor, but hopefully I can scout ahead and find any ambushes. Maybe whatever is in there is too stupid to create an ambush...
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 11:32 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dismounting, you tie your horses to some gnarled trees and enter the field of barrows on foot from the south.

There are almost two score mounds to explore, spread out over about 20 acres, but you had checked out many of them before, so you limit your search to the unexplored barrows (mostly to the south and east). Still, none seem to have any obvious openings.

You wander between the overgrown mounds (each one about 100 ft in diameter and 20 ft high), occasionally climbing up and over their low peaks, finding little but swampy grasses and scraggly shrubs. Occasionally you startle a small lizard or water snake, otherwise all is quiet.

It is getting close to midday when everyone decides to take a break for a light lunch. Fizahn climbs up to the top of a mound to look around as he munches on some jerky.

He is surprised to find that the party is not alone among the barrows. A man on horseback looks levelly back at Fizahn from the shade of Taern's oak tree (a couple hundred yards away to the north). The man is sturdily-built and goateed with shoulder length dark brown hair. A dark green cloak only partially covers shiny, black leather armor. A large, round wooden shield is slung on his back.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Halfling in the Playground

Graevic - Human

The human, quickly alert to Fizahn's arrival, slips quickly down from his horse. Eyeing Fizahn cautiously, he shifts, ever so slightly, into a defensive stance, though, his hand never moves towards the thin-hilted scimitar at his hip.

*A low, rumbling growl seems to emenate from behind the tree.*

The man, still cautiously watching Fizahn, crouches low to the ground, reaches behind the tree, and pulls back a medium sized, black and grey badger. He pulls the badger close to his face, still eyeing Fizahn, and appears to whisper something to the badger. He then sets the badger down, which scampers off into the surrounding bog, grunting with each bounding stride.

The human, eyes finally searching the area behind Fizahn, raises his arms slightly from his sides, elbows bent, and palms up. Slowly, cautiously, he approaches Fizahn.

Well met, traveller. If you intend me no harm, I bring none to you. While his eyes tend to linger on Fizahn, he still seems wary, and cautious.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn, gnome:

*Fizahn eyes the stranger warily.*

"No harm is intended if you have a logical reason for your presence here."

*Fizahn says loudly enough that he's sure his party can hear him.*
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 11:35 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

7. - Top - End - #247

Graevic - Human

*The human visibly relaxes somewhat, his grim visage adopting a more friendly look.*

I had come to this area after learning that a dragon had taken up residence in these old warrens. While it was young, it could have been quite damaging to this area and the surrounding villages. I returned after an initial examination of the area to find that not only was the dragon was gone, but a large and old tree had grown from the ground outside the dragon's lair in only a few days. No only is it's apparent age and speed of growth interesting, but it also seems to radiate a strong aura of magic.

*The human's casual stance stiffens slightly at a noise from the underbrush. He relaxes and smirks slightly as the badger comes bounding out of the brush, grunting along with his stride. The badger stops next to the human, sniffing the air in the direction of Fizahn. the human crouches down and scratches the badger under the chin*

The human says, It is ok, Aholoh, I don't think they mean to harm us, as he scratches the badger. As I have given you my reasoning, perhaps you could enlighten me to why you and sees the remainder of the party beyond Fizahn, your friends have come to this place?

8. - Top - End - #248

Elthan and Taern stand to greet the stranger.

"I am Elthan Moonshade. Well met, friend."

Taern likewise introduces herself.

Elthan quickly outlines how the party had tracked the dragon to the forgotten barrows and surprised it in its lair. He also relates how the dragon was buried beneath Taern's feather token. (Taern smiles at this.) He omits any mention of Oden Homm.

Elthan's eyes narrow suddenly as he looks over Graevic's shoulder.

"I see, however, that you are not travelling alone..."

Following his gaze, you see two reptilian humanoids standing at the edge of a copse just outside the field of barrows. They are several hundred yards away and appear to be watching you with interest.

9. - Top - End - #249

Graevic - Human

Pleased to meet you all. My name is Graevic, and this pointing to the badger is Aholoh. I am pleased to know that the dragon is no longer a danger to the surrounding lands. It is good that you have removed it's taint from the area so that the healing might begin. At Elthan's comment, Graevic turns, instantly on guard, though, making no outward sign of attacking. Seeing the reptilian humanoids, he loudly whispers, They are not my travelling companions.

* Graevic takes several slow, cautious steps towards the reptilian men and begins speaking in a smooth, flowing language *

[OOC: Graevic speaks in Slyvan: "Greetings to you, strangers."]

10. - Top - End - #250

Elthan:

"If they are not your companions, then we should be wary of them."

*Speaks in draconic:*

"Hello there!"

*Waits for a response.*

OCC: If they do not respond before they get closer, I will speak to them again, so don't make them suddenly two feet from us ;).
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

11. - Top - End - #251

The two reptilians don't seem to respond to Graevic's sylvan, but when Elthan calls out in draconic, they look at each other, then turn and vanish into the brush. You catch a glimpse of their tails as they disappear.

The two creatures were so far away that there is really no chance for any pursuit. It seems unlikely that the two of them could pose much of a threat, but it makes you uneasy to know that you might be being watched...

12. - Top - End - #252

Graevic - Human

Graevic eyes Elthan, then looks off in the direction the reptilian men ran, Whatever you said seemed to scare them off. Should we attempt to follow their trail?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern unslings her axe from her back, hefting it's great weight easily, keeping a somewhat cheery demeanor while scanning the brush for signs of danger. She takes a few soft steps forward. Oblivious to the intimidating picture she paints, she calls out*

Little lizards! We won't hurt you, unless you hurt us. How about we just talk about what's in these here mound-things?

*Taern watches the spot where they dissappeared sharply, stepping back and adressing her companions*

What do we do if they're planning an ambush? One or two might not be a problem, but a tribe or clan of those lizard-things could be deadly. Do we charge?

May the trees grant me strength in the battle, if there is one. But if I know things that live in swamps, there probably will be one.

*Taern gives Graevic another look and a wink, as if to say simple, nothing to worry about. Keeping her voice low, she mutters to him*

I dont know if you're much good at battle, but I could sure use another companion at my back while in the heat of things. Those spellcasters are awfully weak, and it gets lonely battling things with a dwarf, despite his strength.

*Taern stands poised, waiting for a command, scanning the area for any sign of an ambush*

14. - Top - End - #254

Graevic - Human

Smiles gently at Taern, I was taught the ways of battle by a dwarf, I did not disappoint him and I hope I won't disappoint you.

15. - Top - End - #255

You peer intently at the edge of the field, where the "little" (7 ft tall) lizards disappeared.

After about 5 or 10 tense minutes, it seems that no ambush or attack is going to materialize. Gradually, you relax and turn your attention back to the barrow mounds...

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Taern is going to scrounge around the bog for the biggest branch or stick she can handle and thwack one of the mounds a couple of times. She will listen carefully for any sound of hollowness*

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk, Dwarf

"Lad, which clan taught you, and when? Not many clans have been in contact with the upper races recently."

18. - Top - End - #258

As Graevic tells Thokk about Durahk, the last of the Ebonhammer dwarves, Taern beats on several mounds with a large stick, trying to tell which, if any, are hollow.

When this doesn't work, she climbs up to the top of a mound and starts jumping up and down.

"Hey everyone, I think this one..." <jump>
    "might..." <jump>
    "be..." <jump>
    "HOLLO... wwwwwwww?"

The ground collapses beneath her feet and she disappears.

OOC: [Reflex save forfeit. Fort save (DC 18): 24 (17 + 7)] Taern shakes off the fall.

19. - Top - End - #259

Graevic - Human

* Carefully, yet quickly, climbs the top of the mound and peers into the hole *

Are you ok?

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk, Dwarf

"Eh, the elf will be fine. Back to your trainer, was he part of the Ebonhammers of the Drake Mountains? Or of the Grendel Hills? I heard that both were lost a century ago due to the large goblin invasion by Graz'Sle."

*Calls down to Taern*

"Whats Down There, lassie?"

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Linda was meditating all the time the others were meeting with the stranger. Though not oblivious to his appearance she did not wish to speak for the time being. When she ends her meditation she moves towards the stranger and the rest of the party and speaks to him in common:
    "My name is Linda. I am a witch that was the last addition to the party just before we went against the dragon. I am pleased to meet you sir."
    She offers her hand for a handshake then realises Taern has just fallen into the mound. She scrambles to the hole, picks up a stone and speaks a few words in draconic. The stone shines in a bright white light. Linda throws the stone into the hole allowing Taern to see down there.
    "I think this will help you see better in the dark"

If all you have is a hammer, don't be lazy; be a blacksmith and start making more stuff.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taern Torminson

*Grunting, Taern hoists herself up, and glances around. She calls up to the others*

Hey, there's four doors down here! Maybe this is the dragon's secret treasure room!

*Taern starts eagerly forward, then stops*

Oh... uhh... I suppose you guys need a way down too.

*Taern spends a moment in intense thought, before digging around in her mostly unharmed (?) pack. Grinning at her ingenious plan, she pulls forth a grappling hook and rope*

Hey, so..uhh... someone should catch this or find something to hook it onto.

*Not realizing how much easier it would be to simply drop a rope from the top, she hurls the grappling hook high into the air with a grunt. After the rope is fastned, she looks with interest at the rock that Linda threw down, pocketing it with a cheery 'Thanks'*

I bet there are piles of gold and jewels beyond those doors! The others need to hurry up and get down here so we can take our reward!

23. - Top - End - #263

Elthan:

*Elthan goes to his horse to get geared up: short spear, crossbow with 10 bolts, rope, waterskin, scrolls and potions. He then heads to the hole.*

"Alright then, these caves won't explore themselves!"
    Elthan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3178

24. - Top - End - #264

Graevic, Human

* Smiles at Thokk *

"Durahk hailed from The Stormhorns, near the edge of the marsh of Tun. I believe the others were his cousins." smiling even broader, "He wasn't one to speak of the past". His smile fades to sadness, "He lost his life in the High Forest, where he had gone to retire. He was...a good father, adopted or not."

*Looks relieved that Taern is ok, and perhaps content to change the subject. He snatches up Taern's grapling hook and secures it to a nearby tree.*

"Shall we take a look?"

*Graevic whisper's something to his horse, which seems content to relax in the area, then grabs Aholoh with one hand, the rope with the other, and rappels down the rope to the bottom of the mound.*

25. - Top - End - #265

Each member of the party climbs down the rope (20 ft) into the old crypt.

This central room is round, 30 ft in diameter, with a domed ceiling (now broken obviously). The mortared stone floor is bare, except for the debris (stones, grass and dirt) from Taern's unorthodox entrance. Light filters in from above (perhaps for the first time in many centuries).

There are four 5 ft x 5 ft doorways, one at each cardinal point. Two are sealed with square stone blocks with a single iron ring set in the center. Two openings (the one facing east and the one facing north) are empty.

Next to the east opening is a 5 ft x 5 ft x 5 ft stone cube. On one side of the cube is a single iron ring.

The stone frames of three of the openings (north, south, and west) are inscribed with the same kind of alien script the party encountered on the iron plaque in the barrow to the north. The text is much shorter, however, likely names or simple epitaphs. The fourth frame (east) is unadorned.

The air is damp and musty. There are no signs that this crypt has been disturbed any time recently.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk, Dwarf

*Looks around, and gives a big sign of relief*

"Ah, back underground, where i belong"

*Pushes Taern Out of the way*

"Ill go ahead. I can see better in this glorious Darkness then all of you lads combined"

27. - Top - End - #267

Peeking into each of the two open doorways, you can see that both lead to bare 5 ft x 5 ft passages extending 10 ft before opening into dark rooms.

In the case of the north passage, you can see that at the end of it is a stone block with an iron ring in it that has been pushed into the next chamber.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk, Dwarf

"Ach, Im heading into there"

*Goes into room where the iron block with ring has been moved*

29. - Top - End - #269

The low 10 ft passage opens into another round chamber. The stone block "door" had been pushed into the room to allow passage, and sits just 5 feet from the opening. This room is slightly smaller (25 ft in diameter) than the main chamber, but it also has a domed ceiling.

There is a small ledge (6 inches wide) about 15 ft above the ground. Eight small stone statues (each perhaps 12 inches high) sit on the ledge, equally spaced along the circular ledge. The statues look like tiny imps or miniature gargoyles. They have been carved to look like they are laughing.

In the center of the room is a stone sarcophagus, unadorned by any carvings. There are 4 skeletons lying on the floor around the sarcophagus. Their rotted leather armor and corroded weapons suggest that they have lain here undisturbed for a very, very long time.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Linda the White
    Linda climbs down the rope with some dificulty-she is not much used in such physical tasks. At Taern's remark and Thokk's moving into the room she says
    "Hold on everyone. This is no treasure chamber-the dragon's at least. It is a burial chamber-most probably unopened for centuries. You see the script here? It is almost the same as the one we saw beneath that iron seal. Three adventurers ventured in the old catacobs and have not been heard from since-remember? I'd bet everything this is their final resting place. However, something troubles me. There are four passages here-three of them marked and one unmarked. The adventurers were only 3. Where does the fourth passage lead if this is their tomb then? And who and why buried them here? And who opened up the passages later without disturbing the barrow from outside? I suggest caution in here. We don't know what might be lurking in the dark. Taern, take out that light stone and shed its light in the dark so we can all see, will you?"

After these words, Linda will move cautiously along with the rest of the group.