New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Into the East [IC]

Rewind the story slightly ...

Baran looks suspiciously at Aeroz, Sedryn, Achkby, and Miles as the knocking at the door continues. Baran quietly steps over toward the oak door, unbolts it, then steps back with both hand crossbows raised.

Darius steps into the room, but then freezes when he sees Baran's weapons trained on him.

"Oh, he's alright. He's just a traveling companion we picked up along the way, " Aeroz offers, trying to reassure Baran.

Darius tries to explain. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. I saw my four friends follow you into the back room, so I just wanted to make sure everyone was OK. My name is Darius."

When Baran doesn't lower the crossbows, Darius adds, "I'll just sit here and keep quiet then?" Darius cautiously edges over to a chair and sits down gingerly.

"All right, what's going on? Who are you people?" Baran turns to face the five of you, keeping you covered with his crossbows.

Baran frowns at Sedryn (who asked the question about Wottworte's death), then he looks at Achkby with narrowed eyes. "You, then, are not Wottworte." He then looks at the others. "Perhaps the rest of you are not the ones I've been expecting either ..."

He looks pointedly at the gold signet rings that Aeroz and Sedryn are wearing. "Explain who you are and how you got those rings ..."

OOC: Sorry things got so confusing.

When Baran saw a halfling, an elf, and two humans (with Aeroz and Sedryn wearing Prozen's gold signet rings) arrive at the Boar's Head, he assumed that the four of you were Wottworte, Aeroz, Lithandrill, and Sedryn. He is obviously partly right and partly wrong.

Darius followed everyone to the back room and was the source of the knocking.

I tried to reconcile the posts each of you made as best I could with the summary above.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"We got these rings from a man named Prozen in Hlondeth. We were told by Prozen to seek a man named Baran out once we arrived at Velprintalar. Lithandrill is stuck in a bar somewhere, and as have heard, Wottworte is dead."

Aeroz shifts in his chair slightly. He doesnt seem sure of anything now, but that probably is because he is still mildly worried about the disease.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

3. - Top - End - #693

Thanks, DR, I tried to explain my confusing in the OOC thread, but nothing got cleared up...

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As Aeroz begins to recount the details of his travels, Achkby straightens up a bit in his chair (though this doesn't add much to his height) and fixes his attention on the storyteller.

Good. Now maybe I'll figure out why their companions have changed so much as they've travelled... and exactly what they're trying to do, anyway.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

4. - Top - End - #694

Eventually, Aeroz is able to convince Baran that he and Sedryn are the fugitives he was expecting. Achkby, Darius, and Miles are introduced as trusted traveling companions. It is established that Lithandrill and Wottworte are no longer traveling with the rest of the company.

Finally, Baran lowers the crossbows and apologizes for almost shooting Darius. "It takes many days for news to travel from the West to the East and vice versa. I suppose that much has occured on your journey that Prozen is unaware of."

"Let me try to summarize the situation for you as best I can." Baran pulls up a chair and sits down.

"I was once a citizen of Hlondeth, and at one time was a lieutenant of Prozen, when he was a Commander in the Queen's Army. I now live in Velprintalar, obviously, but I remain loyal to Lord Prozen and to the Serpent Queen.

"As you may know, the citizens of Thay, here in the East, chafe under the thumb of their Mulhorandi overlords and desire freedom and independence. The Queen of Hlondeth is sympathetic to their plight, and invited a delegation of Thayan officials to Hlondeth to establish diplomatic relations.

"The assassination of the Thayan ambassador in Hlondeth while under the care of the Emerald Guard has dashed those hopes. Lord Prozen has reason to believe that powerful agents within the Emerald Guard allowed the assassination to take place, in league with Mulhorand and the Shadowmasters of Telflamm.

"Because you (Aeroz, Sedryn, Lithandrill, and Wottworte) witnessed the assassination, the Emerald Guard needs you silenced. Blaming you for the assassination would have been a convenient way to have you quickly executed (and it would seem Wottworte has already fallen victim to this). Prozen put his own life at risk to enable your escape.

"Lord Prozen and the Queen dare not act openly, lest the Emerald Guard decide to stage a coup or set up another 'assassination.' Only if the true assassins are captured will the truth be revealed. With evidence of the involvement of the Shadowmasters, Prozen will be able to root out the traitorous elements within the Emerald Guard.

"The Thayan ambassador, who was reputed to be a formidable wizard, was carrying the Kris of Sethra, a powerful artifact. The assassins took the Kris, and it would appear that the Shadowmaster assassins felt that they should be allowed to keep the artifact as "payment" for the assassination.

"In an interesting twist, Mulhorand and the Shadowmasters now are at odds on this issue. Mulhorand expected and demanded that the Kris be returned to them. When the Shadowmasters refused to turn the Kris over, the Mulhorandi began using their black ships to blockade Telflamm from the sea. Ships have been unable to travel to or from Telflamm since Highharvestide, leading to a great loss of trade revenue and stranding many travelers here in Velprintalar.

"Herein lies a glimmer of hope for you and your mission. The Shadowmaster assassins are likely stuck here in Velprintalar for the time being. If you act quickly, you have a chance to find them and recover the Kris. You will be able to prove your innocence and you will have done a great service for the Queen of Hlondeth, who will no doubt be very grateful.

Baran looks at your confused faces.

"Well, I can see that political intrigues do not interest you. Fair enough ...

"The bottom line is this: the assassins you seek are very likely still here in Velprintalar. Find them and the artifact they stole, and you will be richly rewarded and the bounty on your heads (Aeroz and Sedryn) will be lifted."

5. - Top - End - #695
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Sorry about the confusion. This is good news about the assasin being stranded in the city. Do you have any leads on where to look. Aeroz and I only got a fleeting look at her before she fled." Sedryn replies.
    Rodrick the Red
    Don't Believe Everything You Think!

Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

The Last Light: Ravid Zev
    NPX: Gates of Shadow Keep: Patash
    Storm on the Horizon: Rask

6. - Top - End - #696

Darius

"Wow, you really have been through a lot... Darius says, trying to sort the whole long story out in his head. "Have any leads?"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

7. - Top - End - #697

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"The only lead we have is that she was a pretty young thing with red...hair...hmmm. Thats not much of a lead is it now? Baran, is there any other information you can give us? Wait, I just had a thought, but I figure its fairly unlikely. Remember Si'rene? She was cloaked when we met her, as was the assasin. She had auburn hair, which could easily be mistaken for red, couldn't it? Nah, too unlikely."

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #698

Baran nods.

"The assassins you seek have been tentatively identified as members of the Order of the Rose, mercenaries often used by the Shadowmasters for their 'dirty work.'

"We suspect that the cloaked, red haired female assassin you encountered was Mira ar-Temerlain, one of the Order of the Rose's most skilled killers. Don't trust too much in the hair color you saw. She is a master of disguise, and likely changes hair color the way you might change hats. Mira already has a reputation here in the East, but when the Thayan entourage was slain, Mira did not work alone ...

"Many of the Thayan ambassador's bodyguards were slain by a masked female warrior wielding a blazing longsword. Witnesses also reported seeing arrows that twisted and chased their targets like magic missiles. We suspect the involvement of a hidden arcane archer.

"In other words, we believe that you are seeking a trio of individuals, at least two of whom are female. They are crafty and dangerous. On the other hand, if they are stranded here in a presumably unfamiliar city, perhaps they can be flushed out ..."

9. - Top - End - #699

Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Then this might be bad. I may just be working out a solution that seems the easiest to comprehend, but this is kind of scary. Their actions aboard the Sea Lion when the Re attacked do seem suspicious. Thank you Baran, and just as a question, do you have a cure or something from Filth Fever. Apparently I contracted it, and I really hope that it isn't contagious. Sedryn, I beleive that we should pay our three friends a visit tomorrow. Darius, you should come with us. Miles, Achby, both of you seem like the persuasive type. Perhaps you could find us a way to Teflamm? We dont have much time as of now, so I think we should get to where we have to go soon."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #700

Whoa. Well... that explains... it, I guess. Or most of everything. I really should know all of what's going on, though...

"Well, I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help, but I'd really like to know what you are all involved with. I won't desert you regardless of what you've been doing, but I'd like to have some idea of what I'm getting myself involved with.
    "The simplest way, I suppose, would be to tell me our story from the time you witnessed the assassination. Though, of course, I don't need to hear every single detail...
    "

[OOC]I didn't read any of this thread when I was joining up, so I don't really know your story. However, I did read the first few pages as they were taking place, so I know the story up until your first imprisonment by the Emerald Guard. Would it be easier to just have me read the story over, or just tell me?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

11. - Top - End - #701

Darius
    "Alright, I'll come with you then. Do you think I could pass for Lithandrill?" Darius says with a little chuckle. On hearing Ackby's question he nods a little, but also shrugs like he doesn't really care too much.

(OOC: I read it before I joined, but Darius hasn't)
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

12. - Top - End - #702

Baran shifts his chair backward a few inches involuntarily, and covers his mouth and nose with his hand.

"Filth fever? By the gods, have you been living in the sewers? I've seen people waste away to almost nothing from that disease, but I know of no medicinal cure. I hope you are good terms with your elven gods, because I suspect that only divine intervention will heal you of that contagion."

After agreeing to meet back in the Boar's Head the next night, the five of you return to the Sword and Shield. On the way back, Aeroz tells Darius and Achkby the short version of the story:

"Sedryn, two others, and myself were unlucky enough to witness a Thayan murdered in Hlondeth by a red headed woman who could walk through shadows. We were framed for the murder, but we escaped thanks to a man named Prozen, who directed us to Baran here in Velprintalar. Our mission is to find the real assassin and recover the Kris she stole, in order to clear our names.

"On the way to the East, our ship was attacked by Mulhorandi who were after an Untherite fugitive. We took that girl, Sheyra, under our wing, and she has been travelling with us ever since.

"We found ourselves in Ingdal's Arm at Highharvestide, where we got mixed up in the Mud Bowl and met Miles. On the road to Velprintalar, we ran into the tendriculos, and the rest of the story you know. Ah, here we are ..."

You have arrived at the Sword and Shield. Aeroz looks pale, and beads of sweat cover his brow and upper lip. You all retire for the night, planning to make an early start of it in the morning.

13. - Top - End - #703

Darius

Darius will down a shot of ale, say a prayer by the window, and go to bed. He'll stay awake for about an hour, mulling everything over in his head, and then go to sleep.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

14. - Top - End - #704
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn explains to Aeroz as he treats him, "Filth Fever causes a loss of agility and stramina. I should be able to cure you in the next few days and use spells to heal any loss of agility or stamina."

Once finished Sedyn retires for the evening, waking early to pray and prepare his spells.

{OOC -

Heal: +9 +2 (Healers kit)

DR you can roll}
    Rodrick the Red

Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

15. - Top - End - #705

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Alright, I'll come with you then. Do you think I could pass for Lithandrill?"
    "No, if one of them is an archer, we need our own. You were pretty good when we were fighting the tendriculous, so I have full confidence that you can hold your own.

"Filth Fever causes a loss of agility and stramina. I should be able to cure you in the next few days and use spells to heal any loss of agility or stamina."
    "Well I hope you can get rid of it fast. I dont like being slowed down or weakened one bit"

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #706
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Hmmm, I seem to be a little out of my element here...intrigue was never my strong suit. Now a nice thunderstorm on the other hand...

To Sedryn, "Sedryn I will be happy to assist you in treating Aeroz. Perhaps if we combine our skills we can speed his recovery. What do you think?"

*Miles will retire to bed early as well, waking early in the morning and praying/meditating for his spells.*

[OOC: Miles will assist Sedryn with his Healing skills as wanted and needed.]

17. - Top - End - #707

As Sedryn and Aeroz enter the Sword and Shield, one of them remembers that Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene said that they live in a guild house in the Merchants Quarter.

Sheyra joins the group for a late supper (more of a midnight snack). After getting updated on the meeting with Baran, she shudders to hear about the connection between the assassins and the Mulhorandi.

She looks sad just for a moment, but then she smiles wistfully. "Well, I am sure that as long as I am with you big strong men, nothing will happen to me."

Aeroz prepares himself to enter his nightly trance, still pale and shaky. Miles and Sedryn together manage to keep the filth fever in check, but the small cuts and scrapes from the rat swarm continue to fester.

Sheyra is happy to hear that Aeroz wants to touch base with the women from the Sea Lion. "It will be great to see them again! I can't wait to tell them about how I won the Mud Bowl! Do you think they'll be able to help us find the assassins?"

18. - Top - End - #708

Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, the problem is, Sheyra, the assasins might be Angela, Tiriel and Si'rene. We're not sure, but we do have some evidence to support the theory. We'll go pay them a visit tomorrow"

Aeroz lies down and gets some well need rest.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #709
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra is shocked and disheartened to hear Aeroz accuse the women, but keeps it to herself as she is sure they will prove the theory wrong tomorrow. She goes to bed without talking to anyone else.
    And then they made me their cheif.

20. - Top - End - #710

Achkby retires to bed a bit grumpily, still a bit confused about what's going on.

Who are Angela and... Syrene, and... the other one? And what do they have to do with all of this. I may have been better off staying away from 'civilization' and all of its messy intrigues.

He sleeps well enough, and doesn't awaken until rather late, but he hurries to get ready and go downstairs to meet his companions.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Miles I would be gratefull for your help." Sedryn replies to Mile's offer.

After treating Aeroz, Sedryn turns in for some well deserved rest.
    Rodrick the Red

22. - Top - End - #712

After an uneventful night of rest, you gather downstairs for a light breakfast before heading out to explore the city.

The Merchants Quarter lies to the northeast, a short walk along wide cobblestone boulevards from the Sword and Shield.

You see many aristocratic elves as you walk through the heart of Velprintalar, but once you reach the Merchants Quarter, you find that this part of the city is a melting pot of many different races.

A wide variety of stalls line the streets as merchants from all over the East and beyond peddle their wares. Overlooking the area is a small hill covered with long, two story buildings - the guild houses.

It takes almost the whole morning before you find someone who recognizes the descriptions of Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene. Once a gold piece is slipped into his hand, the merchant (selling lovely crystal pendants) points you towards a seedy tavern, "The Golden Griffon".

The windows are shuttered and the large, rough hewn door is locked. The Golden Griffon looks like it's closed (even though it is just about lunchtime), but when you knock on the door, a small panel at eye level slides open ...

A pair of bloodshot eyes regards your group warily. "Whaddaya want?"

23. - Top - End - #713

Darius

Darius looks at Aeroz and Sedryn questioningly.
    "We're here to meet with some old friend's of ours, we heard they're staying here." he says.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

24. - Top - End - #714

The eyes glare at you. "Well they're not. Bye."

The small shutter slams shut.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra tries to discern the man's intentions.

OOC: Sense Motive: 13+7=20
    And then they made me their cheif.

26. - Top - End - #716

The doorman didn't even ask who Darius was looking for. "They don't seem to like strangers around here," Sheyra observes.

27. - Top - End - #717

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Maybe its time for some agressive negotiations"

Aeroz loads his crossbow and points it at the eyeslit. He knocks on the door one more time.

If the slit opens--

Aeroz responds in a harsh tone "Now are you gonna let us in? I'm looking for three women. They said they would be here and I intend to see them" [Intimidate +0, and circumstantial modifiers]

If the slit does not open--

Aeroz will use his bracelet of levetation to see if there is any other way he can get in.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #718

Darius

"Of course, we could always knock down the damn door..." Darius says to the party angrily. He takes after Aeroz and places his hand upon his sword.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #719
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn knocks on the door again saying "My freinds and I were asked to visit a group we met on the ship we traveled on."
    Rodrick the Red

30. - Top - End - #720
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Miles mutters quietly..."I don't think kicking in the door is the right approach. Clearly we need to state our intentions better, and possibly provide some gold to get some answers."

I can just imagine kicking in the door, and getting cut down where we stood...