Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 841 to 870 of 1010
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    The svirfneblin accepts your money without comment, passing each of you a parchment ticket with indecipherable text covering the front and back.

    Once each of you has bought a ticket, he addresses Achkby's and Aeroz's questions. "You'll be wanting to take the train all the way to the Glimmersea. It's the end of the line, so you don't need to worry about missing your stop ..."

    The rumbling gets increasingly louder and you see the other passengers lining up by the edge of the platform in anticipation.

    Six massive bulettes sweep into the station, screaming, in a cloud of steam before skidding to a stop. The bulettes are harnessed 2 x 3 to a series of long passenger coaches. The bulettes' chests heave with exertion and steam rises from their slick, armored backs. Occasionally one will open its enormous jaws and screech loudly. It is not immediately obvious who or what is controlling the bulettes.

    The Underdark denizens begin climbing into the carriages.



  2. - Top - End - #842
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Hajih takes a quick swig from his flask and shakes it. Seeing the bulettes his eyes light up. He turns to Lissa and Achkby and says with a smile, "Watch out wee folks, those things eat Halflings." He takes another drink from his flask and climbs into a carriage.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  3. - Top - End - #843
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra, human monk

    Sheyra's eyes widen in shock when she sees the bulettes, but she climbs into the carriage nearest the group and motions for the others to follow.
    And then they made me their cheif.

  4. - Top - End - #844
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby grins at Haji, and replies, "I don't think they'll limit their meals to just us... you don't look too big for them yourself."

    Then he smiles more mischeviously at Lissa.
    "Shall we go, madam?" he asks politely, offering his arm to her and straightening his back so that he stands to his full three feet, two inches.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa's dark eyes widen briefly at the sight of the harnessed bulettes. "So that's what they meant by bulette train! Wow..."

    At Achkby's gallant gesture, Lissa smiles at him and takes the proffered arm. "Why, thank you, kind sir!" She grins and continues in a more conversational tone as they head for the train. "So, I never did catch your name back at the Griffon. I'm Lissa, by the way."

  6. - Top - End - #846
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sedryn (Human Cleric)

    Sedryn follows his companions to the train and enters the same coach as everyone else.
    Rodrick the Red
    Don't Believe Everything You Think!

    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

    The Last Light: Ravid Zev
    NPX: Gates of Shadow Keep: Patash
    Storm on the Horizon: Rask

  7. - Top - End - #847
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "My name is Ach-kby," he tells Lissa. "I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I've been wandering about for the past few years, and, actually, only took up with these fellows a little while ago. Though I met Darius over there," he continues, motioning at the archer with his free hand, "a little while before then. What about yourself, if you don't mind my asking? What's your trade?"

    You'd better not get too friendly with her just yet, you rogue. You never know what she could be up to. No one knows what you're up to...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  8. - Top - End - #848
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    Aeroz boards the "Bulette" train as well.

    [OOC: AHAHA nice play on words daring]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  9. - Top - End - #849
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    The coaches are lined with seats along each wall, facing each other. You choose some seats on either side of the center aisle. A lithe humanoid with marble-like skin, wearing a dark greatcoat, stands up when you sit down and moves to another car. In fact, when other passengers see your group already seated, they move on to the next carriage rather than share a coach with you. You are not necessarily unhappy that your party ends up essentially alone in the car.

    With a screech and a lurch, the train begins moving. Soon the dim lights of the station recede into darkness, leaving your carriage completely unlit. Occasionally a greenish glow flashes by your windows, presumably from some phosphorescent fungus growing in the tunnel. Other than that, you sit rocking back and forth uncomfortably in utter blackness.

    After a few minutes, a deep gnome enters your carriage carrying a faintly glowing lantern. "Tickets, please."

    As you hand him your tickets, he tears them in two and hands you back half a ticket as a receipt. "This is the Darklands Express, running from Traaskl Thorog to the Glimmersea, with stops at Cloakerhaven and the Little Rift."

    When you ask how long it will be before arriving at the Glimmersea station, he pulls a small enchanted hourglass from a vest pocket, "We should reach the end of the line in about 6 hours ..."

    He moves on to the next car, leaving your group once again in darkness.




  10. - Top - End - #850
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Pulling out an ever burning torch from his backpack and places it on a strange apparatus on his backpack, the hawk on it shifting from it's perch on top of the strange metal contraption to Hajih's shoulder "This should help light up the carriage, but we got a while 'till we reach the end." He takes a drink from his flask and then shakes it, "Who was this Baran fellow anyways?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  11. - Top - End - #851
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius
    "Oh... I suppose Aeroz or Sedryn would be better apt to answer that question, I only just met the man. But I'm curious... you claim to be a guide for places such as this. What is this Glimmersea?"

    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  12. - Top - End - #852
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Hajih scratches his chin for moment, then says "The Glimmersea? Oh, you mean the Sea of Starry Night, I never went there myself, heard stories about Aboleths in the waters there. Anyways it's said to be a series of huge caverns with glowing rocks on the cave roof, supposedly really beautiful. Hajih starts digging through his pack "My problem is where we're going. The Sea of Starry Night is huge and just saying the end of the line is the Glimmersea isn't very helpful. I hope that helped you."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  13. - Top - End - #853
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius
    "Yep, we're dead..." Darius says under his breath, then asks "So we have to get a boat or something?"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  14. - Top - End - #854
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Hahfling Sorcerer

    At these words, Achkby lenas forward a bit, out of his conversation with Lissa sitting next to him, and says, "Well, they won't just be dropping us off in the middle of the sea, now, will they? I mean, the train left froma city, so I'd imagine it would arrive at another one."
    He stops, and peers down the aisle in the direction in which the deep gnome left them. Turning back to the group, he muses, "You know, I would imagine that the ticket-man would know where we end up. D'you suppose we could track him down? Though he's bound to come by again..."


    ((This is insane, KoD -- you've surpassed me in post count! [And this must be the first time in 3 months that I've looked at anyone's count, too...]))
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  15. - Top - End - #855
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa leans back in her seat, looking rather satisfied with herself. "Pleased to meet you, Achkby." She doesn't stumble over the name at all, but then, gnomes are infamous for names that sound long and unwieldy to other races. "My trade? I suppose you could call me a scout." The gnome winks at Achkby. "And an expert in small devices such as traps and locks. So, turnabout is fair play; what trade are you in?"

    The rest of the party's conversation turns to the Glimmersea. Lissa simply shrugs, taking out her own everburning torch and propping it up in the seat next to her with her pack. The magical 'flame' burns with a decidedly purple light. "Don't ask me. Last I checked, I was a normal gnome, not a swirfneblin. This is my first trip to the Underdark." She grins. "Lots of experience in regular dark, though!"

  16. - Top - End - #856
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius
    Darius looks around the empty carriage, if he can see into the other carriages and he sees the ticket carrier he'll signal him over, if not he'll sulk, "I hope we get refreshments."

    ((Wow, I did? I thought everyone had a lot more than me since I went away.))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  17. - Top - End - #857
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    The carriage rocks and rumbles through the Underdark. Long hours pass and many of you nod off (not having gotten any sleep last night) for minutes? hours? It's hard to tell.

    Darius checks the doors leaving the carriage. They appear to be locked from the outside. Whether this is for your own protection or to keep you from bothering the other passengers is not clear.

    The train makes several stops. Unlike the Velprintalar station, none of these stations are illuminated. Not even Aeroz's or Lissa's vision can penetrate the darkness through the windows.

    Aeroz slips briefly into a trance. His cheeks remains pale, his forehead covered by a thin sheen of sweat, reminding everyone that he still suffers from the filth fever he contracted from the rats several days ago.

    ...

    Finally, the train makes another stop, and you hear a voice call out, "END OF THE LINE! EVERYBODY OUT!"

    The carriage doors slide open, and you make your way out into a giant grotto. You can hear the roar of a number of cataracts, underground waterfalls, but even with your everburning torches, you can't make out the ceiling and walls of the cavern. The echoing roar of the waterfalls indicates that the grotto must be quite vast.

    The svirfneblin conductor stands at the door of your carriage, holding his dim lantern (out of courtesy to those lacking darkvision). "Well, here we are - Glimmersea station. If you are heading toward the Sea, it's that way (pointing off behind you). Good luck." And without further ado, the bulette train tears off into the darkness, exiting the grotto through some unspecified tunnel.

    You find yourself standing alone in the darkness, your two torches providing what seems like entirely inadequate illumination. You can't even be sure what time it is, though everyone's stomach is grumbling.

    Everyone turns to look at Hajih, who claims to be an Underdark guide. He looks a little uncertain. It also strikes some of you as odd that an Underdark guide would have a bird as an animal companion ...



    OOC: Well, welcome to the Underdark. Please work out a marching order, and compile a summary of all of the food and water that your party is carrying.





  18. - Top - End - #858
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    [OOC: Aeroz is not one to go first or last. Since Hajh is the guide, his is probably gonna go first. Sedryn and Darius should be at the back, and Achby in the middle. As for food; Aeroz has a week and a halfs worth of trail rations, and a full waterskin]

    "So mister underdark guide. How do we get to Teflamm now?" Aeroz says suspiciously to Hajh.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  19. - Top - End - #859
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    [OOC: I agree Hajih should go first. For supplies Hajih has Five days rations, a waterskin and a gallon of ale]

    Hajih gulps and then says "Well, first things first I need to get my bearings, then we get moving towards Teflamm." He takes a swig from his flask "Teflamm? Ah yes Teflamm!"


    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  20. - Top - End - #860
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby moves away from Lissa now, towards the middle of the group.

    I don't much like this place... if only I were something more fearsome... like a dragon!... He muses about being a fearsome draconian beast.

    [OOC]Gaaaah! I ditched all of my supplies, leaving them with my pony, because I can't carry them. I'ma halfling spellcaster. We aren't designed to carry things. Small + 8 Str = 20 pounds is a med. load![/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  21. - Top - End - #861
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    "Bad news wee folk and tall folk, we need a boat." Hajih looks nervous for a moment "Oh, I hate boats, and water... oh dear" Then he starts to shake rapidly and wring his hands nervously.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  22. - Top - End - #862
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby swings round to look at their frantic guide.
    "What do you mean, 'we need a boat?' When do we need a boat? I mean, we obviously need a boat for the Glimmersea, but do you mean to tell me that we need a boat now, too? And why?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  23. - Top - End - #863
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    As your eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, you are able to make out the rough dimensions of the grotto. Four narrow waterfalls pour out of the ceiling (you can not see their origins as the roof of the cave is outside the reach of your torchlight). The four cataracts end in a dark pool. The foam churned up by the falling water is faintly phosphorescent.

    A thin rivulet of water runs from the pool along one side of the cave toward the area the svirfneblin had pointed to. Perhaps the stream will lead you to the Glimmersea?



  24. - Top - End - #864
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Great... just great. So now what the hell do we do? Is there a way around or something? Darius says, swearing loudly as he walks over to the pool of water.

    This tour guide isn't working out very well.

    [OOC:I have 10 days food rations and probably a waterskin (I can't access the sheet right now)/OOC]
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  25. - Top - End - #865
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa holds her purple everburning torch up, squinting slightly as she looks around. "Hey, calm down, Achkby. It's actually kind of nice here." She points at the waterfalls, smiling. "Ooh, look! Aren't they pretty? I wonder what the Glimmersea itself looks like?" The gnome unslings her crossbow and loads it, looking up at Hajih. "So, Master Underdark Expert, do you want to scout or shall I? If you'd rather be up front, that's no problem; I can take rearguard. I've got a couple scrolls of darkvision..." Her expression turns wary. "...for personal scouting use only, you understand. Unless there's an emergency or something."

    (OOC: 6 days small-folk rations and two full small-folk waterskins. Depending on the party's decision, Lissa will either be scouting out front with darkvision on and torch in her bag, or playing rearguard with torch out. In either case, she's armed with her crossbow. HempRope, I highly recommend saving up for Heward's handy haversack!)

  26. - Top - End - #866
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra, human monk

    Sheyra is obviously worried, but manages to maintain her composure as she digs through her pack. "I have 5 days worth of food and a waterskin. But we might be alright for water if we stay along these streams."
    And then they made me their cheif.

  27. - Top - End - #867
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    "Well, lets see what is down towards the stream before we jump to any conclusions, we may be able purchase a boat from...somebody" Hajih takes a long drink from his flask before starting off towards the passageway.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  28. - Top - End - #868
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius takes out his everburning torch and shoulders his bow, keeping his hand on it and looking around warily, he will take the very rear, behind all the others.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  29. - Top - End - #869
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby, still towards the middle of the group, draws only his wits about him, but stares out into the darkness, slightly nervous.
    He looks cooly about at his compaions, though, and nods in approval of their actions.

    [OOC]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phasm
    (OOC: ...HempRope, I highly recommend saving up for Heward's handy haversack!)
    I have been, but haven't had the opportunity to grab one. And I had a pony.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  30. - Top - End - #870
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Expert

    "You know, for an underdark guide, you do seem to be fairly new at this. Still, where would we get a boat, and do we have a map?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •