Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 1010
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    "Well I doubt that train would drop us off in the middle of nowhere, there must be someone to buy a boat from. Just so you know I'm not new to this; I've been doin' this for years... just not around here." sticking his hand on his weapons he say in a steady voice "Just in case everybody should be ready for combat, this is the Underdark after all."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Although the cavern was referred to as "Glimmersea station" there is no evidence of any other living beings in this large grotto other than yourselves. (Hajih mentiones that it is always possible that a kuo-toa or cloaker enclave lies nearby. It wouldn't look like an obvious "village" but would be potentially dangerous nonetheless. You decide to move on as quickly as possible.)

    Your waterskins are full, and it looks like there is enough for about a day and a half (if everyone shares). Hajih warns everyone to be careful about drinking the stream water. You never know whether it's safe or not, and you wouldn't want to catch a disease or anything. (Everyone looks at Aeroz for a moment.)

    You form up in loose marching order, staying fairly close to each other. Even for those of you with low-light vision, there is something comforting about being close to the everburning torches. The surrounding darkness is almost palpable.

    Following the stream away from the waterfall pool, you see that the water trickles toward a dark passageway exiting the cavern. Since water flows downhill, Hajih predicts that the stream might lead you to the Glimmersea. The passage appears to be wide and easily navigable (at this point at least). As you head into the passage, the roar of the waterfalls fades to a dull rumble, then to a whisper, then to silence.

    Soon you are enveloped in a silence as thick as the darkness, broken only by your footfalls and the occasional spash as someone steps in the shallow stream. As you hike deeper and deeper into the Underdark, the dark trickle of water under your feet serves as your only "map."

    ...

    After what seems like hours you decide to break for a meal. (Is this breakfast? lunch? dinner? Who can tell?)

    You have arrived at a fork in the passage. The passage flares out here, creating a small "room" 40 ft across where everyone can sit down, rest and eat. The stream runs down to the right, but another dark passageway forks off to the left. The leftward passage looks wider and smoother (and drier). Hajih points to some scrape marks along that pathway, suggesting that someone or something had headed in that direction not too long ago. It is the first sign of another being you've seen so far.

    As you munch on some trail rations, you debate whether it's better to continue to follow the stream or whether you should take the passage to the left ...

  3. - Top - End - #873
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    "Flip a coin, I always say. This is the underdark, so there is bound to be danger either way." Aeroz comments while munching on some bread.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  4. - Top - End - #874
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Dropping his pack on the ground and rummaging through it; Hajih looks up and asks "Does anyone have any chalk? to mark our way. Anyways I suggest following the stream down to the Sea of Starry Night before we attract any more attention." Picking a clay jug out of his pack; he refills his flask and slides his pack back on.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  5. - Top - End - #875
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "I do," says Achkby, swinging his pack from his shoulders. "Good idea."

    He reaches into an outer pocket and produces a small brown leather bag. He quickly unties it, and pulls out a small piece of white chalk. "Here you are," he says, holding it out to their 'guide.' "Keep it. I have plenty."

    If he's often in the underdark, why doesn't he have this sort of stuff?
    I guess I'll reserve judgement for later.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  6. - Top - End - #876
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa is sitting cross-legged near the stream, everburning torch propped up on a rock while she chews on a piece of jerky. The flickering purple light makes for some odd shadows. Swallowing, she nods to Hajih. "You're the guide; lead and I'll follow. Let me know if anything needs scouting, unlocking, or trap-sweeping." She winks and pats her crossbow. "Or shooting. I'm good at that too."

  7. - Top - End - #877
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Let's follow the river, I don't feel like getting eaten by whatever it was that made those marks... although I'll probably end up getting eaten either way."

    Okay... this guys useless, so far hee hasn't provided us with a single scrap of help, I don't know why he was so eager to come with us either, I don't trust him. Maybe if he can prove his worth in battle, but I guess that will come sooner or later.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  8. - Top - End - #878
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    "Hajih, Human Ranger

    Taking the chalk and drawing an arrow marking the path following the stream Hajih lets his Hawk rest on his arm as he heads down the path with the stream "Come on, we shouldn't stay in one place too long."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  9. - Top - End - #879
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achlby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "Oh, that's reassuring," Achkby mutters grumpily. He trudges on after the others, careful not to ventue too forwards towards the front of the group -- or the back.

    Nothing had better attack us... I don't have claws like most of the creatures down here.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    You decide to follow the stream down the right passageway. After more miles of hiking, there are a series of branchpoints. At each fork, you choose the path followed by the trickle of water.

    You take breaks whenever the majority of party members is feeling tired. Soon you have no idea whether it is day or night on the surface. There is even some debate about how many days it's been (or if it's even been a day) that you've been wandering underground.

    The only good news is that the walking is all downhill, making it at least that much easier.

    After about a dozen twists, turns, and forks, you finally reach a dead end - a small grotto about 60 ft in diameter. The trickle of water likewise ends here in a small clear pool.

    A number of blind albino cave fish can be seen swimming in the pool. Unless this small pool is the Glimmersea, you appear to be seriously lost ...



  11. - Top - End - #881
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Hajih looks into the pool trying to see if the pool ends there.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  12. - Top - End - #882
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    The bottom of the pool is not visible. There might be an underwater tunnel or it might be another dead end ...

  13. - Top - End - #883
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    "So Mr 'Guide'; it seems that we are lost again. Have any of you have any clue how to solve this predicament, because I sure cant swim. and that seems to be the only way around this obstacle...besides being eaten by aboleths" Aeroz says impatiently as he waits for Hajh to come up with some answers.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  14. - Top - End - #884
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Alright Hajih, if it's all okay with you I like you to tell us what the hell we're doing here! So far you've done nothing at all to prove you're in the least helpful and now we're completely lost, got any ideas?"

    Darius then quiets down and looks at the fishes swimming aimlessly in the pool.
    They're probably having a better time than I am... I wonder if they're edible...
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  15. - Top - End - #885
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Pulling a length of rope from his pack, Hajih ties it around his waist, handing the other end to Darius. "If you feel a tug, pull the rope back." Dropping his pack and taking a deep breath, Hajih dives into the pool. He swims to the back and looks around.
    [Swim +3, Spot, +2]
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  16. - Top - End - #886
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius
    Darius takes the rope, "Woah..."

    Did he just jump in there? Uh oh.

    ((That was very cinematic of you Zeal ;)))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  17. - Top - End - #887
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling orcerer

    Upon arriving in the little cavern, all Achkby can think is, Well, now we're ina right good mess, and there's nothing I can do about it. This guide is awful...

    However, once Hajih jumps in, he waits with baited breath for the man's return.
    He may not be much of a guide, but he certainly is committed...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  18. - Top - End - #888
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    You watch anxiously as the glow from Hajih's magic torch sinks deeper and deeper into the pool. Suddenly the glow disappears, but the rope continues to play out into the dark water.

    "He's found a tunnel!" Sheyra exclaims.

    Hajih has been under the water for over a minute when suddenly there is a quick tug on the rope, but when Darius pulls back on the rope he feels little resistance. Horrified, he pulls on the rope hand over hand until he pulls out the frayed (and Hajih-less) end of the rope. The clean edges can mean only one thing - the rope was cut.

    You huddle around the pool waiting for some sort of sign - bubbles perhaps - but the water is still except for the blind cave fish aimlessly circling in the water.

    The grotto seems much darker with the loss of one of the everyburning torches. Lissa's purple torch is now the only source of light ...



  19. - Top - End - #889
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby, with a few practiced gestures and recited words, casts a simple spell, and a few orbs of light appear in front of him. He directs them into the pool, and they sail down into the murky depths...

    "I wish he'd given me the chance to try this before he jumped in," Achkby says quietly.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  20. - Top - End - #890
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa has been watching the discussion and dive with an increasingly worried expression. I almost hope he doesn't find anything... I hate water! I can't swim worth moldy beans! When the cut and ranger-less rope is pulled up, Lissa swears softly but fervently in Gnomish, and then in at least three other languages. For several minutes, while Achkby does something productive and casts his spell.

    Once she's calmed down a bit (or perhaps just run out of curse words), Lissa looks around at the rest of the group. "So, what now? I don't know about any of you, but I'm not real eager to jump in there, especially since I can't swim. On the other hand, Hajih is a comrade." She peers into the pool, watching Achkby's lights, then looks back up and manages a strained smile at the sorcerer. "Good idea there, Achkby. I wish he'd waited too..."

  21. - Top - End - #891
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    Darius holds the rope in his hands, he stands frozen in place, staring at it with a horrified look on his face. He makes no move to the everburning torch in his pack to repel the darkness.

    Oh god... not again... no... Darius says quietly... his heart starts to race, "I shouldn't have yelled at him, I shouldn't have- I should've pulled harder, I-"

    He collapses onto the floor in a sitting position, staring anxiously down into the depths of the pool being lit up by Achkby's spell
    Not again, not another life... please no.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  22. - Top - End - #892
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    The softly glowing lights float downward into the pool ignored by the cave fish.

    The "pool" appears to be more of a bottomless vertical shaft. About 15 ft down, a dark opening appears in the rock - some sort of side tunnel. It seems likely that Hajih entered here.

    Achkby's lights drift a bit farther downward, but there don't appear to be any openings farther down.

    Precious seconds continue to tick away with no sign of Hajih ...


  23. - Top - End - #893
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby directs his lights down the shaft until they begin to fade, and then quickly back up to float by the hole.

    "Hajih must have gone in there. One of us has to go down after him. Most of you have said you can't swim, but if you can hold your breath, I have a spell that will allow you to easily climb down the sides of this pool. I can also provide you with some light.
    "Is anybody willing to take the plunge?
    "

    He looks around, hoping fervently for a volunteer.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  24. - Top - End - #894
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Expert

    "I cant swim, so unless any of you are willing to take me down there, I'm fairly sure I'm going to drown." Aeroz states in a shaky voice.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  25. - Top - End - #895
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "You needn't be able to swim, just hold your breath. I can make it so you can easily pull yourself down the wall..."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  26. - Top - End - #896
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra steps forward. "I can do it."

    She takes off her sandals and ties her robe tightly around her waist so as to be less encumbered. "I'm ready," she states with determination.

  27. - Top - End - #897
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby pulls the lights up out of the pool to hover over his head. He then riffles through the scrolls in their case hanging at his hip, and pulls one out. Then, he makes a dismissive hand gesture and the lights proomptly vanish.

    He casts another simple spell, very similar to the one that conjured his orbs, and illuminates *something that he & Sheyra agreed on, preferably affixed to her head.* It emits a soft glow, much like the Everburning Torches, but with a bluish tinge.
    Then, in the light from it & Lissa's flame, he unfurls the scroll and intones a short incantation, calling forth the power that resides in the sigils. He touches Sheyra as he does so, and she feels a tingle spread from the shoulder side that Achkby touched to the tips of her fingers and toes, where it remains.

    I was saving that scroll for a more personal emergency, but this certainly is important. Maybe I can get reimbursed, though... I doubt it.

    "Good luck down there, Sheyra. May Brandobaris grant you speed and good fortune."
    He gives her side a reassuring pat and then steps back.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  28. - Top - End - #898
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra nods, wrapping a simple leather headband across her forehead. The band both serves to keep the hair out of her eyes and also (thanks to Achkby's sorcery) acts as a portable light source.

    She slips into the pool, takes a deep breath, then ducks below the surface. Guided by the light provided by Achkby, she "crawls" downward along the stone walls of the shaft and slips into the side passageway.

    You wait nervously for a sign from her. One minute passes, then two, then three ...

  29. - Top - End - #899
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby looks up at his companions.

    "Spoon."

    He stares around at them, wide-eyed, occasionally licking his lips.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  30. - Top - End - #900
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa nervously paces beside the water's edge, staring down into the pool as if doing so will bring her missing comrades up sooner. As she paces, she counts under her breath. Finally the diminutive rogue stops, whirls, and kicks the wall in frustration.

    "They've been down there too long! Owww..." She winces, rubbing her toe. "And there's NOTHING I can do! Nothing! I swim like a brick, and even if I could get down there, I'm too small to drag a human through the water!" Lissa finally sits down, arms wrapped around her knees, face buried. A muffled voice comes up. "I hate being helpless."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •