New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 62122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Into the East [IC]

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz paces back and forth, trying to formulate some sort of plan. He stops on one heel and turns to Achby.

"Hey, do you know any spells that could bring them back up or get us down there?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

2. - Top - End - #902
    Bugbear in the Playground

The seconds turn into minutes and still no sign of either Hajih or Sheyra.

It seems highly unlikely that Sheyra could survive holding her breath this long ...

3. - Top - End - #903

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby shares his head despondently.

"No, I haven't. No."

He shakes his head again, and turns to pace too, but then stops. Instead he just stares at Aeroz.

"This is your quest, really. What do you want to do.?"
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

4. - Top - End - #904

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I dont know. If I could swim I'd go down there, but I cant so there is very little that I can do...if they did find a cave, maybe they are alright, but I cant be sure. None of us can, and it doesn't make any more sense to risk any more of us. We cant do much while we are all dead now can we?"

Aeroz picks up a rock and throws it into the water in frustration. He never really had peoples lives in his hands, but then he realizes that he isn't the leader here.

"Any of you have an Idea that could confirm whether they are alive down there?"

[OOC: According to Baron's new thing, Daring has to start a new thread]

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

5. - Top - End - #905
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra tugs on the rope as hard as she can, signalling to be pulled up.
    And then they made me their cheif.

6. - Top - End - #906

With relief, Darius pulls back on the rope. In just a few moments, Sheyra pops back up to the surface, her headband glowing brightly.

"There's another cave!" she exclaims.

Sheyra describes how she entered the underwater tunnel only to find that it sloped upward and opened into another grotto.

There is a "beach" at one end of the grotto, which she briefly explored. It looked like there were many footprints there, as well as marks as if someone or something being dragged away.

There was no sign of Hajih, other than the possible evidence that he was captured.

7. - Top - End - #907

What rope? She didn't take a rope with her, and Haji's was cut...

Achkby

"Well, thank Hlal that you're safe. But I don't know what could have happened to Haji... either he went off to explore and didn't tell us, the idiot, or he got dragged away..."

He looks around at the others uneasily, and then turns back to Sheyra.
    "You say there's a beach... is there water, too?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

8. - Top - End - #908

Darius

"Well if we can go, let's go." Darius will follow behind Sheyra upon entering the water.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

9. - Top - End - #909

"Hold on! I think we should try to figure out what's happened here before we go rushing off down that shaft."

[OOC]You guys can just tell me to shut up, but I really wanna know what rope Sheyra pulled on. Though I suppose it doesn't much matter, as she still has Spider Climb.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #910

"We have to do something! We can't just abandon Hajih, can we?"

Sheyra volunteers to dive back down and spider climb back to the hidden underwater grotto with her end of the rope.

Sheyra assures everyone that the passage is short enough that even those who can't swim can pull themselves underwater along the rope safely.

OOC: Remember that Darius pulled up the rope that Hajih had been attached to. Hajih's end was cut, but the rest of the rope is still usable. This is the rope that Sheyra apparently tied around herself before she dove underwater the first time ...

11. - Top - End - #911

Darius
    Darius will take his end of the rope. "Good, go. Pull the rope once if you want us to come across, and twice if you're in danger... just in case."
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

12. - Top - End - #912

I didn't hear that she tied it around herself. The original post said she tied a robe, and I took you at your word, so to speak.

"I say that it should be 1 tug for danger, 2 when you are ready... but I say we go ahead. Just make sure to establish which is which before you go."

With that, he removes his scroll cases, opens the tops, sets them on the ground, and asks the group, "DOes anyone have any spare cloth?"

(If someone offers some, he will put it around the scrolls inside to keep them dry, and then put the caps back on very tightly.)
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

13. - Top - End - #913

"'Fraid not, all right Sheyra go ahead."

(OOC: ???Uh... bump :-/)
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa swings her pack off of her back and opens the flap. "Sure, Achkby. Here ya go!" With that, she begins flinging bits of clothing at him. A garish rainbow-striped scarf, a shirt that looks like it used to be white, a sheer purple shift trimmed with ribbons and lace... "Hmm, looks like that's it." The gnome proceeds to unload her crossbow, then stuff it into the pack. Amazingly, it fits. Even more amazingly, there is no crossbow-shaped lump. She does the same with her quiver of bolts, fastens the pack tightly shut, and puts it back on. A bit of ingenuity with some string, and Lissa manages to tie her everburning torch around her neck.

Thus prepared, Lissa eyes Darius and the rope. "Anyone see a place where we can tie this end of the rope? No offense, Darius, but after what happened to Hajih it might not be the best idea to leave someone up here alone."

(OOC: Everything is now stowed in Lissa's handy haversack except her armor, rapier, and everburning torch.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

15. - Top - End - #915

"Great. Thanks a lot, Liss..." he finds the shift, and holds it up. He holds it up in front of himself, and raises his eyebrows.
    He looks around it at her, and gives her a rye smile.
    "I'll spare you this one."

He flings it towards her, but it doesn't get very far, floating to the ground about halfway between them.
    He shrugs, picks it up, and carries it the rest of the way to her. Still with a sort of half-smile.

He then goes back to his stuff, and slings his pack from his back. He does his best to waterproof the scrollcases with the shirt and scarf, and then puts them in his pack. He unrolls his bedroll, and then rewraps it, with two pouches from his belt in the middle. That goes in next, folowed by his pouch of slingstones, which he ties to the pack with his sling.
    He checks his spear, and then draws out a thin stick of straight, greenish wood with a bulbous head. A couple of gestures and a short incantation leaves it glowing like Sheyra's new 'headband.'

"All right. I'm prepared as I will ever be..."

He takes a deep breath, and squares his shoulders.

((Ready.))

DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

16. - Top - End - #916

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

This isn't gonna end well Aeroz thinks to himself as he removes his chainmail.

"Hey Lissa? Got any room for this?" Aeroz Says as he drops the armor on the ground. He has a bit of a grimace on his face, as if he is taking every bad outcome to the extreme.

Well, I might as well learn how to swim now...

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

"Is everyone ready?" Sheyra asks. After getting a response, she says, "Brace yourselves. The water's really cold," before climbing back into the pool.

18. - Top - End - #918

Sheyra slips back under the water with the rope. Once she has resurfaced on the other side, she gives a quick tug on the rope.

"Was it one tug for danger or one tug means it's safe?" she wonders to herself. She waits a moment then tugs twice on the rope for good measure.

The mixed signals cause some initial confusion, but in the end the rest of the party follows the guide rope into the hidden grotto, one by one.

Soon, everyone is huddled, shivering and wet, on the "beach" of this hidden cave. The drag marks are clearly visible heading into a dark tunnel deeper into the Underdark. If Hajih is still alive, no doubt he is at the end of that trail ...

19. - Top - End - #919

Again, I ask, 'Is there water??'

Achkby immediately checks his scroll cases for damage to their precious contents. Assuming none:

He tosses the clothing back to Lissa, saying, "Thaks a lot. Really."

Then he looks around at his diismal-loking companions, and announces, "Well, we came through that horrid, watery tunnel to rescue that ineffectual guide, so let's get to it."

He slings his pack down, and unpacks and reequips everything that he stored in it before the swim, checking to make sure that the pouches in his bedroll have suffered no damage.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

20. - Top - End - #920

Darius will grab the rope and roll it up. "We don't want anyone following us." He then holds up his everburning torch and walks off in the lead, following the trail.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

21. - Top - End - #921

"Hold on, Darius," Achkby cautions. "We should make sure that everyone else is ready before going on. Speed may be important, but readiness is doubly so."
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

22. - Top - End - #922

Darius

Darius takes another step, eager to go on, but then turns and waits for the others to get ready. "I suppose you're right. Try to hurry people, a man's life is more important than the crap you carry around."

Especially if that man's life is in your hands.

"Well, at least the bastard gave us a trail we could follow for once." he says, his mouth grins a little but his eyes stay cold and dark.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, rogue

Lissa surfaces with a splutter, which quickly turns into breathless cursing. "You weren't kidding, Sheyra! Aiee, a few more minutes and I would be a gnome-shaped ice sculpture!"

She pulls herself onto the rocky shore, wrings her soggy braid out, then drops her pack on a dry patch of rock and opens it. "Okay, chainmail for Aeroz... there ya go." She heaves the suit out of the backpack, and it lands in a clinking pile. Still dry. "Quiver and crossbow for me, check. Oh, thanks, Achkby." Lissa reclaims her spare clothes. "Did they work for you okay?" Lissa starts to reload the crossbow with damp, shaking hands, then stops. "Bugger this for a game of soldiers. I'm getting dry before I do anything else!" With that, she sets down the crossbow, digs a spare cloak out of the Amazing Magic Backpack, and begins vigorously toweling herself off. "That's good... now for better."

She glances covertly at the resident sorcerer to make sure he's watching. A few chanted words and odd gestures later, Lissa's soggy leather armor and damp hair are steaming. The gnome smiles contentedly. "Ahh... warm." Hands now warmed up, she proceeds to load her crossbow and remove the everburning torch from its string around her neck. "Okay, who's scouting this time?"

(OOC: Prestidigitation ability is now used up for the day... or whatever you call it in the Underdark.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

24. - Top - End - #924

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz dons his chainmail and draws his blade, readying to face whatever may come.

"Well, it could be worse."

[OOC: For the drow, it would be a cycle of Narbondel. For the illithids it is whenever they damn feel like it, and for everyone else, its before something skewers them]

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925

Darius

"This time we'll head forward as a group, I don't want to risk having another death on my hands so I'll lead." Darius says, seeing that everyone is ready and then setting off on the trail, everburning torch held high above his head.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

26. - Top - End - #926

Chimera

Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra takes a moment to wring out her wet hair, then picks up her backpack. "Darius is right," she says. "We should hurry."

27. - Top - End - #927

Watching the gnomish lady use a quick spell to dry herself out, Achkby enthusiastically says, "Good idea, Lissa."

He, too, casts a simple spell, and after a few moments, his clothes appear dry.

"Anyone else want to dry out and warm up?" he asks cheerfully.

[OOC]Using Prestidigitation to first warm my sodden clothes, and then dry them. Then dry out my other possessions. Will do the same for others for as long as the spell lasts.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #928

Thanks to a clever use of a simple cantrip, Lissa and Achkby manage to have the party more or less warm and dry in just a minute or two.

Following Darius, the party heads into the dark tunnel, following the drag marks. His torch illuminates the way 40 ft ahead. Sedryn mutters a prayer, hoping that it isn't too late to save Hajih ...

The tunnel is fairly narrow, crooked, and quite irregular, forcing everyone to move in single file. Water glistens on the ground and drips from the walls. The ground slopes gently downward, and after about 100 yards the passage straightens and widens enough so that you can move two abreast. After another 100 yards, the passage opens into a vast chasm.

Your party finds itself on a 40 ft x 20 ft ledge jutting out into empty blackness. A well-maintained rope bridge extends into the darkness.

Suddenly, a gruff voice calls out from the darkness beyond the reach of Darius' torch, "Hold it! That's far enough! Who are you people, and what are you doing down here?"

29. - Top - End - #929

Achkby, nervous, strains his eyes, trying to peer farther out into the gloom. He readies a spell to shed light on the speaker if need be, trying to find his location by the sound of his voice if he cannot see the man.

[OOC]I will cast Dancing Lights if I feel threatened. Also, will try to find the dude. Using hearing to find him if necessary -- yes, at a minus 2 penalty if I have to!!![/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #930

"We're searching for a friend, we mean you no harm!" Darius says, heading closer to the voice and holding the torch up higher to try and see the speaker.

Duergar? Maybe something worse... well, I knew we couldn't get through the Underdark without fighting something.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC