Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334 LastLast
Results 961 to 990 of 1010
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius calls over to Achkby and Sedryn, trying to get his voice at just the right volume so that they can hear but whatever is at the other end is just out of reach.

    "Get back here! Whatever that is it's probably pursuing us! We can refill at the Glimmersea, get back so I can cut the ropes!"

    He glares off into the darkness, notching an arrow to his bow after loosening his sword in it's sheath.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  2. - Top - End - #962
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    Hajih swings his crossbow from his backpack and loads it. At Darius's suggestion he places the crossbow pack on his backpack and pulls a rapier and hammer from his belt.
    "Get back quick, I can hold off whatever is on the other side for however long it takes for us to get away."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Okay, there's the plan then. *Everyone take out your bows and aim, wait until they make it back across the bride, fire at the pursuers. *When they get off the bridge, I'll cut the rope. Hajih, you and me'll cover them"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  4. - Top - End - #964
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lumpy

    Lumpy simply stands at the end of the bridge staring into the darkness. Though one hand now rest on the flail at his belt, he makes no move to acknowledge either Darius' of Hajih's commands, waiting until he can see what the commotion is over before he acts.

  5. - Top - End - #965
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra, human monk

    Sheyra's eyes strain through the darkness, desperately trying to see what's going on. She stands up and begins to walk slowly towards the light of the everburning torch.
    And then they made me their cheif.

  6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Without warning, Sedryn's everburning torch is snuffed out, plunging him and Achkby into complete darkness.

    The rest of you gathered on the ledge can't see anything past the first third of the rope bridge - beyond that, all is black. The bridge trembles and sways, indicating frantic movement.

    A half dozen black missiles hiss out of the blackness, shattering on the stone behind you ...

  7. - Top - End - #967
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius pulls Sheyra back. "Everyone get down behind the rock!"

    Dammit, what can I do? I can't shoot, I need light.

    "Sedryn! Achkby! Get back here!" he yells at the top of his lungs.

    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  8. - Top - End - #968
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    "Damn! Don't cut the bridge just yet" At those words Hajih starts running across the bridge.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  9. - Top - End - #969
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby casts a quick spell, causing his spearhead to flare up like a torch.

    [OOC]He will move somewhere, depending on what he can see...[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  10. - Top - End - #970
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    "Keep quiet will you. If he knows we are here, that this wont work" Aeroz whispers loudly. He keeps his crossbow trained on the figure.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  11. - Top - End - #971
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

    Lumpy growls, low and powerful, unnaccustomed to his inability to see through the dark. For the first time, his hand drops to his flail, unhooking it from his belt in a smooth motion. He backs up half a step, raising his other arm to place a plated forearm between the danger and his otherwise unprotected face.

  12. - Top - End - #972
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa has cocked her crossbow and was maneuvering to get a good shot at the end of the bridge when Sedryn's light went out. *She pauses, straining to see. *Of course, she can't see any better than anyone else. *"Achkby! *Sedryn! *Sing out, one of you, so we know where you are!" *An arrow clatters on the stone beside her, and the rogue hastily dives behind a rock outcropping. What now? *I've got a couple darkvision scrolls, but if somebody cast a darkness spell over there it won't work. *Wait... let's test that hypothesis... *The gnome shifts her crossbow to one hand and chants a few words in Gnomish, gesturing with her free hand. *Four torch-bright balls of light in varying shades of purple, pink and blue wink into existence several feet away. *With a shooing gesture, Lissa sends them shooting toward the last place she saw Achkby and Sedryn.

    (OOC: Dancing lights racial ability is now used up for the day-cycle.)

  13. - Top - End - #973
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa sends the dancing lights across the bridge towards Achkby and Sedryn. As she feared, the balls of light are swallowed up by the blackness, vanishing like pebbles thrown into a pond. The edge of the darkness lies about 40 ft away.

    Meanwhile, Achkby illuminates the head of his spear - unfortunately, the light spell merely creates a sickly faint purple glow, barely visible at arm's length.

    Sedryn and Achkby begin to retreat back toward their companions. Vibrations on the rope bridge tell them that others are approaching from the far side.

    When Sedryn and Achkby emerge from the darkness, Achkby's light fully illuminates the near end of the bridge. Hajih is there to meet them, and the three carefully edge their way back to relative safety.

    The bridge continues to vibrate and two more bolts streak out of the darkness. One glances off of Lumpy's armor. Glancing down at the shattered projectile, Lumpy recognizes the handiwork of the dark elves and groans. Damn it!




  14. - Top - End - #974
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    (OOC: I'm assuming relative safety is the ledge, if not, discard this post)

    Darius

    Darius puts the arrow back in it's sheath and slides the bow back across his back. He takes his sword and begins sawing furiously at the ropes holding up the bridge.

    "Someone get the other side, everybody else cover us!"
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  15. - Top - End - #975
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby quickly resheathes his spear, takes out his sling, loading a stone into it. Then he steps back to behind the outcropping with Lissa.
    "Damn! I hope Lumpy's right, and we can get to the Glimmersea by just going down..." he trails off, and just stands for a moment, waiting for someone to show themself, spells and sling ready.
    Fearing the arrival of more arrows, he hastily casts a defensive spell, sheathing himself in a protective layer of magical force.
    Then, he turns, and calls to Lumpy, "Oi! Lumpy! Any idea what it is that's attacking us?"

    [OOC]Sheath weapon, draw weapon, move to cover, cast Mage Armor. Admittedly, slightly more than a single turn, but...
    AC 18
    HP 14[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  16. - Top - End - #976
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

    Aeroz peers from behind and tries to make out the shape of the assailant. If he can tell that they are drow, he fires, trying to find an opening on them (Preferably a head)

    Light Crossbow +6
    Damage 1d6+1d6(Sneak Attack)
    HP 23
    AC 17
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  17. - Top - End - #977
    Orc in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Hajih, Human Ranger

    (OOC: I assume you meant the ledge when you said relative safety-Also shouldn't there be a new thread due to the fact this one is over 50 pages or so long?)

    Hajih swings the hammer back onto his belt and begins sawing at the other side of the bridge with his rapier.

    HP: 23
    AC: 15
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

  18. - Top - End - #978
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra stands so her body is mostly blocking Darius and prepares to deal with incoming projectiles.

    (Ready an action to Deflect Arrows, Ref save +6)
    And then they made me their cheif.

  19. - Top - End - #979
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa swears briefly but fervently in Gnomish as the dancing lights are swallowed by the darkness spell. *With a beckoning gesture, she calls them back to hover at the near edge of the darkness, over the bridge. *"There. *Now hopefully we'll be able to see whoever comes out of there," she mutters.

    Lissa smiles tightly as Achkby joins her behind the rock. *"Heyla, Achkby. *Nice to see you in one piece." *The gnome shoves her everburning torch into her pack (now having Achkby's light spell to see by) and takes her crossbow in both hands. *Cautiously she points the loaded crossbow over the rock, peering through the darkness for a target. *Callarduran Smoothhands, lord and protector of those who venture into the World Below, please aid us now!


    (OOC: Direct dancing lights to a point above the bridge just outside the darkness. *Ready action to fire crossbow if an enemy shows itself on or near the bridge.
    HP 22
    AC 17)

  20. - Top - End - #980
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

    Lumpy scowls openly now, gritting words out between clenched fangs, "Whaddaya think? Drow.. They've always been a step ahead'a me."

    He drops the arm from in front of his face, he slides his other hand down to grip the haft of his flail, which he drops into a low ready stance, taking a position at the head of the bridge to stop any dark elves from getting across before the others cut the ropes.

    (OOC: If Lumpy's initiative is high enough, he'll ready an action to trip any enemy that gets within melee range of him. otherwise, he'll try and do it when his turn comes

    +10 to hit, +14 on the opposed check, and a free attack if successful.
    HP 31
    AC 19)


  21. - Top - End - #981
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sedryn and Achkby scramble to cover while Darius and Hajih try to cut the ropes supporting the bridge.

    Lissa and Aeroz take up defensive positions, their crossbows aimed at the edge of the darkness.

    Sheyra and Lumpy stand at the foot of the bridge, blocking any passage.

    Darius saws away at the thick fibrous ropes, but Hajih discovers that his rapier, primarily designed for thrusting, is of no use. He sheathes his rapier and fumbles for another weapon.

    Meanwhile, all eyes are on the edge of the darkness. The bridge continues to tremble as someone or something continues to approach ... closer ... closer ...

    Finally, a shaggy humanoid emerges from the darkness into the bright illumination from Lissa's dancing lights and Achkby's light. You can clearly see the hulking creature's chalky gray skin and bulging shoulders and arms. Stringy black locks frame coarse, brutish features. Most striking is the fact that the creature has no eyes - grimlock! Three additional creatures follow close behind the first one.

    Aeroz's and Lissa's crossbow bolts strike the first grimlock, and it topples off of the bridge into the darkness of the chasm. After a surprisingly long time, you hear a faint kersplash! as its body strikes water below. The other three grimlocks continue their relentless approach, oblivious to their companion's fate. They are a mere 30 ft away, moving slowly but methodically across the bridge.

    Black crossbow bolts continue to streak towards your party as your unseen assailants continue to take potshots at you. Sheyra grabs one bolt out of the air, just before it would have struck Darius. Looking at the bolt she notices an oily sheen on its needle sharp head - poison!

    ...

    In the midst of the chaos, there is a flash of light behind you, in the tunnel leading downward away from the bridge. You can hear voices and movement coming from the tunnel. A faint glow of light is visible around a bend. It looks like you might be surrounded ...




    OOC: The Baron PM'd me that it would be OK to start a new thread after tying things up in this one. Once this encounter is resolved, we will continue the campaign in a new thread ...

  22. - Top - End - #982
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Phasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    California
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lissa, rogue

    Lissa whoops as Aeroz's and her crossbow bolts strike true, and the presumably dead grimlock topples off the bridge. *"Hah! *Take that, you... you... eyeless thing!" *As she shouts, the gnome is busily reloading her crossbow. *Just as Lissa recocks the loaded bow, though, a light catches her eye and she turns to see a moving light source in the tunnel behind them. *She hears voices and footsteps as well. *"People! *We've got company coming from behind!"

    Sighting once more on the grimlocks, Lissa shoots again. TWANG!

    (OOC: Reload the crossbow and shoot it.)

  23. - Top - End - #983
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

    Lumpy keeps his stance as the grimlocks approach, relying on his armor to protect him from the bolts hissing by. His expression has lost much of it's grimness, replaced by almost eager anticipation, as if he knows he was born to fight, and might as well look forward to it.

    As Lissa calls out, Lumpy glances back distractedly, growling out a quick response, "Drow don't need light any more than I do. Less, even." He leaves it at that, content to let others extrapolate what they will from that.

    (OOC Still waiting for them to close in)

  24. - Top - End - #984
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    Darius continues sawing at the rope furiously. *He watches as Sheyra catches the poison arrow in front of him, "Thanks, I owe you one."

    Then he hears the commotion behind him. *"Aeroz, replace Hajih at the rope! We're not gonna get flanked! *Sedryn, Lumpy, keep it up! *Hajih, Achkby, and Lissa, keep attacking the ones on the bridge until you can see what's coming from behind us! Let's give 'em hell!"

    ((OOC: Quite the epic encounter!))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  25. - Top - End - #985
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    "Lumpy's right," calls Achkby, "Why would Drows need light?"

    Then he begins chanting, casting a complex spell with long, drawn-out hand gestures, and many harsh, crackling syllables at the end. He finishes by hurling an arm out towards the grimlock at the rear of the advancing ones.
    A bolt of bluish-white electricity shoots towards the creature.

    [OOC]
    AC: 18
    HP: 14
    Touch Attack: Melf's Acid Arrow, Energy Substitution for Electricity, at +5, 2d4 Electricity damage.
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  26. - Top - End - #986
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Sheyra, human monk

    "They might be surfacers," Sheyra says about the people with the light, "But that doesn't mean they won't hurt us." She stays right where she is, blocking the bridge.
    And then they made me their cheif.

  27. - Top - End - #987
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Aeroz reloads his crossbow and fires at another grimlock, again, trying to aim for a weak point. "Achby's right, why would drow need light" Aeroz mutters to himself before yelling to Darius "I'm sort of in a tight situation here. I'm better off picking these guys off from a distance"

    Light Crossbow +6
    Damage: 1d6+1d6(sneak attack)
    HP 23
    AC 17


    [OOC: Bhdrake, I took a look at your character sheet, and I dont see how your stats fit in to 25 point buy. Are you sure you got them right?]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  28. - Top - End - #988
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Fine then." Darius will continue sawing at the rope on his side.

    ((I'll move over if I finish this side within the turn, if not I'll post my action for next turn))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

  29. - Top - End - #989
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius continues to hack away at the ropes, severing several of the thick hemp cables. The rope bridge sways crazily, but the grimlocks hang on for their lives and continue their approach.

    Aeroz and Lissa pick off another grimlock who, like his predecessor, tumbles off of the bridge only to splash into unseen water far below.

    Lightning arcs from Achkby's fingertips, searing the rearmost grimlock. Smoke rises from the entrance and exit wound left by the electricity. The grimlock hardly reacts as it continues to wobble its way forward.

    Almost simultaenously, the veil of darkness vanishes, revealing four more grimlocks making their way across the bridge (bringing the total number of surviving grimlocks to six). They show no fear as they slowly close in on the ledge, the nearest one is only 10 ft away ...

    Even with the darkness dispelled, none of you are able to make out the hidden assailants at the far end of the bridge. Unfortunately, apparently they can see you just fine now ...

    Six more crossbow bolts scream towards your position. This time they are aimed with merciless precision at Darius and Sheyra. She deflects one, and dodges another, but a third creases her shoulder. Two bolts strike Darius, while the third narrowly misses. The first bolt fails to penetrate his armor, but the second strikes true knocking him off his feet.

    Darius feels a little woozy as the drow poison seeps into his veins, but he shakes it off, focusing on the task at hand. He looks up at Sheyra who is checking her shoulder. "It's just a flesh wound!" she reassures him ... then the color drains from her face and she slumps to the ground unconscious.

    Sedryn fingers his mace uneasily, stepping over Sheyra protectively. "Lathander preserve us! We're sitting ducks on this ledge!"




    OOC: Frojoe is right. Lumpy has too many points. Simplest fix would be to reduce INT to 12.

  30. - Top - End - #990
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    The_King_of_Durf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Into the East [IC]

    Darius

    "Urgh..."

    Darius vision goes blurry, he starts seeing double, then glares and straightens his vision, continuing to saw furiously away at the rope.

    "Break, dammit!"

    Hopefully I'll have this one done by the next volley, there's nothing I'd like to see more than those bastards fall.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •