New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Drow Wars: House Ezek'Kinar (IC)

Ilof stands, bowing to Ash'miira, and begins to make his way out of the room, chuckling as the illusion vanishes. He loved deception as much as the next Drow, considerably more so actually, but he never quite got used to Nhilzyne's figments. "Still, I'd like to see him find a heart with a blade in less than a second," Ilof muses as he makes his way towards his own quarters to obtain several weapons, concealing them within his cloak. When he shows up at the door to Nhilzyne's rooms, he appears much closer to his normal self, his standard formal outfit of black and silver silk but a much larger face, chubby cheeks adding to the contrast of his ivory grin. "Yoo hoo," he calls, "done with your hair my dear? We wouldn't want to keep the dear Matron waiting."
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A voice echoes from down the hallway, almost startling the Spymaster.

Hah, of course I'm ready. I've been waiting on you...

Ilof spins around to see his companion casually leaning against a wall down the hallway. He was wearing his typical aristocratic garb that was no doubt cleverly laden with hidden magical items and weapons.

Shall we depart?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Ilof starts for a millisecond and then quickly regains his composure, "It'd be a shame to keep them deprived of our wonderful company," he grins and moves to depart.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

My meager homebrew

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

One by one the comittee was leaving, though Cev'Dvurel remained comfortably seated, chin perched low atop his dusty knuckles. The house would soon be lively with the spirit of conquest, and plan for action was being implemented as we speak; this is an exciting time in Ezek’kinar, yet here the high priestess was, troubled as though we were under siege. Cev’Dvurel was no diviner, but even with the scraps of wisdom that age had graced him with, he could sense the stress overtaking Ash'miira, clear as day. When it was just the two of them in the room, he cleared his throat, and deepened his voice.
    "Gwoooooooaaar, I-uhwwww oaah."

Should Ash’miira have been shaken from her thoughts enough to look up, she’d have found that he had made his way over to her, stone faced an utterly inexpressive.

“That’s Terran,” he clarified flatly. “Means ‘the mountains never withers.’

’N that’s an expression,”
    he clarified just as flatly. “Means that so long as we see the mountain as a mountain, this immovable foundation on the horizon, we end up overlooking erosion, mudslides, rockfall, earthquakes… ‘nd the mountain becomes invincible to our eyes.

And THAT means,”
    drawing to his point now, “that so long as you hold the banner of this house, sit in that high-backed chair, or wear any crown of Ezek’kinar, you are a matron mother. You are not a troubled young girl, you are a position. And you are not to second-guess yourself whenever acting as such.” His voice was strict and patronizing, but it held no contempt to fuel it. The old craftsman would let these words sink in for a long moment, before tilting his head an iota in thoughtful curiosity.

“And so...

If it is just a smatter of imagery and appearance, to turn you invincible, after all...

...What’s to worry?”

He offered a funny little smile, for the high priestess, before giving a short laugh through the nose... and going his way.

“Chin up.”
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2010-09-17 at 02:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Okay, summarize in few words who goes where and make rolls I asked for.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nhilzyne and Ilof make there way out of the House, passing by Cev'Dvurel comforting Ashmira. Nhilzyne tpas Ilofs shoulder and nods at the would be heartwarming scene. They both share a chuckle but then hurry on their way before they can catch a glare from either the Crafter or the Matron. Upon exiting the house they head in the general direction of the Baenre compound.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Ash'miira is activating her phylactery of faithfulness, as mentioned in the spoiler.
    ----
    Ash'miira jerked her head up and her hand began glowing with necromantic energy before she realized it was Cev'Dvurel speaking. She smiled weakly, her cheeks darkening slightly as the black glow around her hand winked out. "You didn't need to yell quite so loud." She paused, considering the old Terran proverb. "But you are right. As usual." She noted Nhilzyne and Ilof leaving, and as the old crafter left she whispered "Perhaps the image of invincibility is truly enough." She got up and headed to the chapel to notify the priestesses who would be leaving.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Ilivfryn walks purposefully towards the barracks and rouses the soldiers most competent for the expedition.

9. - Top - End - #39

BlueKnightGuy

Cev'Dvurel returns to his workshop and recasts Mage's Private Sanctum over its entirety, renewing the spell already in place for another 24 hours. He selects four kobolds and a svirfniblin from his staff to accompany him, informing the rest of the workers that they are to be on lockdown for the duration of his leave- where they are to take shifts between working and watching the door with crossbows. The workshop is locked off by heavy gates for this time.

He moves out with his five workers and a mage on a large wagon- upon which is an ornate tower that Cev'Dvurel will ride on for his own personal comfort. The workers are given light crossbows for their personal protection, though I don't expect them to be doing heavy damage as the Expert NPC class.

He then goes out to meet the others to mobilize.

Edit: The 5 workers accompanying me will also have heavy mining picks. We're helping.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2010-09-18 at 07:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

When Tar-kiira leave the room he heads for the stables. Once there he prepares thirty spider riders for the journey then goes to meet Cev'Dvurel and Ilivfryn.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Don't forget the rolls.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spot - (1d20+17)[22] White text.
    My Homebrew Signiture.

Thank you Serpentine for my amazing avatar!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

And so it all began...

The plans were finally prepared and it was time to go to real assignment.

Before letting her male servants go, Mother Ash'Miira prayed to Lolth asking for her favor. The goddess smiled upon her, saying that she is very pleased with her and House Ezek'Kinar and promised to help her devoted daughter.

Cev'Dvurel, Ilivfrin and Tar'Kiira, taking some warriors and slaves with them left the city and after some time came close to svirfneblin mining settlement. Spies did their job well, they found a perfect spot to set a camp, far enough to stay undetected and yet close enough to spy on enemy themselves.

While slaves and low rank warriors were setting tents and preparing defences, one of the spies returned from inspection of far tunnels.

- Master, I saw an another group of drow in the area! They are on the settlement's other side! I recognized their insignias - it is Arkenrae, one place below us in hierarchy. They brought warriors with them and I think it's highly possible that we'll have to fight them to get control of the mine.

While the attack was being prepared, Ilof and Nhylzine decided to pay Baenres a visit.

But the old Mother Baenre wasn't ready to accept them. She alone decided whom and when to grant audience. And two diplomats, stood near the deadly wall of web that was surrounding the Baenre's palace and were arguing with the guards. They had to think of something clever, just to be allowed inside. Two high, muscular women, armed to the death were hard to convince.

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueKnightGuy

Fight them!?” Cev’Dvurel blurted out from atop his mobile tower, so startled that he’d nearly fallen off. Reading his thoughts, Bishop took flight to survey their surroundings.

Had I some narrowing to funnel them through I could have bunkered us an impossibly deadly defense, though on open ground—oh, if I only had the time to prepare! They should not have been here yet!” Setting stress aside as best he could, the gears of his mind now grinded past why the field is as it was, and raced towards assembling a solution.

Ilivfryn, I fear my services are limited on the charge, though if we can garrison ourselves in the mines itself, I guarantee the day will be ours. The battle’s schematics are yours and Tar-Kiira’s to decide, but consider if my place were to meet the gnomes in peace; svirfniblii are more paranoid than even myself, though they just as trusting of their own kind, and speaking to fellow artisans, I just may be able to gain their confidence. We can take to their defense in the mines themselves- and there, dear friends, where earth and stone surround me, not even the Baenres themselves will be able to stop me.

Tar-Kiira, it is not for me to say, but your cavalry could buy me tremendous time with the bombs and javelins they are stocked with in hit-and-run ambushes. Ilivfryn, your archers could help slow the enemy, but your troop is your own to place. Both of you, be prepared for my signal, however, to come back to the mines; if we play our cards right, no drow of this house may fall this day.

That is what I propose, anyway,” Cev’Dvurel sighed as he adjusted his cap and loaded a bolt into his crossbow. “The workings of war are only as intimate to me as a game of chess. I urge you to command as only you two know best, Generals of Ezek’kinar.

I will only advise to my ability.

------------------
    @Erad: My homunculus is flying as high as possible to get a view of the field; I'd hope it's tiny enough and far away enough that it won't need a hide check. Would it be possible to get a top-down map of the area?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Elsewhere, Nhilzyne scoffs at the guards barring the entrance. Knowing bribery or smooth talking would not work on Baenre warriors, he thinks of another plan.

Hmm... I could have sworn we had an invitation. Perhaps we are early? Let me contact our Baenre host. We'll be right back.

He flashes the guards a winning smile, just in case, and pulls Ilof aside.

Alright heres the plan, Ilof. I am going to conjure an illusion of <insert well known Baenre noble's name here>. The illusion of our "friend" will courteously invite us inside,scolding the guards for barring our way and then we take it from there, sound good?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Erad: Nhilzyne will cast Major Image of whatever well known noble would most likely be inviting guests over. DC of the Illusion will be a 22 will to disbelieve it. Does that work?
    Last edited by Drogos; 2010-10-04 at 12:42 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Lovely, might want to fix your insigia" Ilof says with a smile, pointing to Nhilzyne's Ezek-Kinar amulet, whilst fingering the crossbow concealed in his cloak. Attacking Baenre guards was diplomatic suicide, but as of yet no one else knew they'd arrived, let alone what house they were from, he entertained it as a last contingency. Before turning back, Ilof imperceptably switches his insignia for a false one of resembling House Arkenrae's.

My meager homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

After walking out of earshot of the guards, Nhilzyne notices Ilof switching his insignia.

Heh, Ilof you wouldn't be implying that we simply assassinate these guards and pin it on our rival house are you? That seems like a simpler solution but lets make that plan 'B' if mine doesn't work. Do you have another insignia I could borrow or should I just use an illusion to make mine?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Always have a Plan B," Ilof says simply, producing a second Insignia from thin air and handing it to Nhilzyne.

My meager homebrew