New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Default Expedition to Undermountain

Just after dawn, a long, rolling earthquake shakes the city awake. Cracks appear in walls and crockery rattles, but no buildings collapse.

Uproar ensues. Earthquakes are almost unheard of in the city. Rumors of disaster soon race through the streets, fueled by the anguish of people across the city whose heads fill with sharp, sudden mental visions of a screaming bearded man whose eyes blaze with rage, sorrow, and swimming stars. The visions shift into scenes of pillars cracking and tumbling, ceilings collapsing in caverns and dark rooms, and surging explosions of blue-white sparks. These tides of fearsome force leave many who receive the visions gasping on their knees, unharmed but overwhelmed by the sensation of great magical forces crashing through them. Repeatedly the screaming face returns, with feelings of strong despair, of something left unfinished -- and swept away in great loss and ruin. What has happened? A few wizards across the city who shared the disturbing visions recognize the screaming face as that of Halaster Blackcloak, the infamous "Mad Mage of Undermountain."

Soon everyone knows that something terrible has happened in Undermountain. There's an unknown but exceedingly dark doom approaching the city and the massive dungeon beneath it, and Halaster is very upset about it.

Those who have experienced the visions can't stop thinking of Undermountain, of walking through its chambers, of finding brightly glowing treasures. They yearn to go there, to answer Halaster's urgent call. Undermountain awaits, in desperate need. Something down there must be repaired, or renewed, or rescued. Halaster wants something done now, something vital. A terrible calamity must be set right, or greater doom will surely come.

That night, wizards, sorcerers, a scattering of adventurers, and others across the land dream of Undermountain and a screaming Halaster. They all feel a yearning to enter the infamous, legendary dungeon and do "something that must be done." No one quite knows what that something is, but many momentarily mind-glimpse strange subterranean rooms, weird items, and a rushing Halaster struggling to accomplish various tasks.

Throughout the land, on the morning after the earthquake, wizards, sages, and all sorts of adventurers start packing. The trek to Undermountain has begun.

Your characters have arrived in Waterdeep and, as all adventurers eventually do, ended up in the Inn of the Yawning Portal. The inn is bustling with adventurers such as your selves, longing to head into Undermountain, along with the sorts of people you'd expect to turn up at such a large congregation, selling all manner of items, some useful, some entirely worthless. For a small fee, a man in the corner is helping organize groups to go into the dungeon, and various others mill about offering a sundry of other services.

Everyone introduce yourselves, and lets get started.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Expedition to Undermountain

Trog steps into the Tavern of the Yawning Portal, his eyes shifting from side to side as he examines his surroundings. Strange dreams and whispered rumors have led him to this place, in search of possible fame and fortune. His last few nights of sleep have been nothing but screaming old men and mysterious chambers filled with untold rewards, and he wants to get to the bottom of it - especially if there's something to be had from it. Making his way through the throng of bar patrons, Trog finds a seat at the bar. He dusts off his clothes - a loose white fencing shirt with a light layer of chain-mail beneath it, weathered black travellers pants, and a battered set of brown boots - and taps his fingers on the bar a few times, gesturing for a drink. Once he gets his drink, he casually sips it, watching the events transpiring around him. "Trog got a good feeling about this..." he mutters into his drink a gruff but well-pronounced matter, his diction influenced by both his mother's learned tongue and his father's tribal speech. "Trog got a good feeling, indeed..."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Lycan 01 In addition to what I've stated above, you notice a young man wearing robes and the symbol of the Tower of Luck sitting in a corner, nursing an ale. You also note that despite the amount of people standing about acting as if they're getting ready to enter the dungeon, not a single person has actually gotten close to door marked Entry Well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A robed dwarf walks into the tavern right behind a tall, surprisingly well-kept Half-orc. He sits down at an empty table with his back to the wall and face towards the door. A serving girl comes by to ask him for a drink order.

Ah yes, a glass of your finest wine, thank you.

He spoke with a surprisingly smooth soumding voice without the typical dwarven accent. While he waited for his order he took out a well worn gold coin from a vest pocket and flipped it between his fingers with the ease that comes from doing an action an uncountable number of time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seated at a cleared-off table at the wall opposite the bar, the heavily braided and tattooed elf shook hands with a man in chainmail and wrote down another name and address on the list before her. A length of parchment tacked to the wall behind her indicated her name and profession, done in careful draftsman's hand with henna ink: Tiemar, Cartography, Quality Maps -- Commissions welcome. An elaborate compass rose with a small drawing of a road going over a distant horizon occupied the center of the scroll, and in more recent lettering underneath were printed the words "Now accepting preorders for Undermountain maps".

Tiemar set the list aside and unrolled the map of her route through Amn that she'd been working on. The last few days of occupying this particular table and plying her trade at the Yawning Portal had taught her that it was better for business if customers saw her with quill dipped as she sat -- it provided an example of the quality of craftsmanship and made her look serious about her work. Rearranging her workspace, she checked the ink on another sheet stowed on the floor by her chair and saw that it was dry. Smiling grimly, she lifted the scroll and pinned it next to her advertisement. Done in her typical careful hand, it read "Expedition forming for immanent descent on morrow. If you want to stop standing around and pretending you're about to go down inside, talk to Tiemar".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Having sipped the less than delicious wine he received. Torauk stopped flipping his coin and put it back in his pocket. Upon seeing the wood elf's sign he gets up and carefully makes his way over to her, deftly avoiding touching anyone or anything between him and his goal. He greets her with a polite bow.

Greetings...

He looks town at her name plate.

...Tiemar? Did I pronounce that correctly? Yes? Good.

My name is Torauk Midashelm and I am looking to join a foray into the depths of Undermountain for I have heard the rumors of the buried riches and artifact hidden within. Are you who I speak with to sign up for such an expedition?
    Last edited by Drogos; 2010-09-17 at 11:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Half the size of nearly everyone else, a halfling dressed in tattered cloths over leather armor weaves seamlessly in and out of the crowd. He'd been hoping to find a group who actually wanted to go into the mountain, but so far it had all been brag and bluster. He felt no shame in lifting some coin from them; after all, they certainly weren't going to need it. He hadn't taken very much - though he could have easily - just a silver here, a gold there.

Darn these slackabouts. You'd think they were afraid. At this rate I'll never...."If you want to stop standing around and pretending you're about to go down inside, talk to Tiemar". Well, this looks promising.

He saunters up to the table, and pipes up once the dwarf is done speaking, flashing his winningest smile at the elf, blue eyes twinkling. "Allo there! I, too, would actually like to go down into the mountain, but I've been unable to find any brave enough to accompany me. I hope I'm not mistaken in thinking you've got the stones?"

"Say..." Liri cocked his head at the dwarf, wispy yellow hair falling across his face. "Don't I know you from somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trog ponders joining an adventuring group, but... he decides to do something more creative. Rather than wasting time going from group to group trying to find somebody in need of a bard, he would instead make the groups come to him. Reaching into his backpack, he removes a small black case and sets it on the counter. Popping open the latches, he removes an item from the case - an antique fiddle, masterfully crafted from fine mahogany and tuned to perfection. He rosins up the bow, sets the fiddle to his shoulder, and begins to play. The soft notes, somber and mournful, begin to slowly hum from the strings, rising above the din of the bar and the voices of its patrons. With any luck, it will not only shut up most of the idiots in the tavern, but also catch the attention of anyone in need of a bard.

Spoiler
    Show

Making my presence known in style.

Trog is gonna play a slow and mournful tune, meant to pierce the heart and relax the mind. Nothing magical, just moving... I have Perform (Fiddle) with 6 points in it, and a +2 bonus from my Mastercraft Instrument. So, hopefully this will be awesome.

Perform (Fiddle): (1d20+8)[10]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Torauk looks down to the halfling and tries to recall if he had seen him before. Perhaps he had met him in his time as part of the numerous caravans he had signed on with at one point or the other.

Um, my apologies but I don't believe I can precisely recall. I have seen so many young vagabonds in my travels, no offense intended. Perhaps my traveling companion will recall. I believe he shall be arriving shortly.

Upon hearing the half-orc's music being performed, Torauk turns around. He smiles in mild amusement. Apparently the brute fancied himself a bard or some such. The performance was mediocre at best and Torauk felt a little bad for the poor fellow. But such is to be expected from a Half Orc....bard. He waits to see what will follow the sub par performance

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"There you are! I've been looking all over for ya!"

From the doorway a short, well built little dwarf barrels towards the group beginning to gather around the elf's table. A smile stretching from ear to ear and a bounce in his step he rushes up to his companion, "And look what you've got here. Liriam I haven't seen you in ages! How've you been little man?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Lycan 01 Though you get off to a quite good start, you find yourself slipping on notes and accidentally squeaking a bit as you play. The bar falls quiet at first, but quickly begins to become noisy again. You hear a few chuckles around you, but nobody seems terribly aggravated at your performance, in fact, a few coins come flying out of the crowd towards you. If you'd like to take them, you end up with 8 coppers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tiemar regarded the two, no, make that three diminutive figures before her. Two dwarves and a halfling -- an odd bunch to be sure, but maybe their arrival as a group after such a drought of courage was a sign from the spirits. The first dwarf that approached her was robed as a mystic and spoke without a typical garrulous accent. Interesting. Taking a minute while the trio was distracted by the half-orc bard at the bar, she studied the rest of the triad. She recognized the holy symbol and trappings of the second dwarf; a cleric or a paladin no doubt. As for the halfling... she narrowed her eyes. Light armor and lighter fingers spelled trouble. She had no problem with having a padfoot along to spring the traps and flank her targets, but the last thing she wanted was to have some law enforcement waiting when they came back out of the mountain.

Hm. That could wait for the moment, but it would need to be taken into consideration.

She daintily cleared her throat and waited until she had their attention before she began speaking, her melodic elven contralto at odds with her savage appearance.

"Yes, I am Tiemar, and I have been looking for some brave folk to accompany me down into the depths below. I am no merchant or head of some guild or another; my motives are simple and only my own. I wish to explore and profit, and will welcome anyone that promises to help me toward that goal." She set down her quill in the ink pot next to the map, and steepled her fingers. "That being said, I will not suffer to have a fool get himself killed as he follows me down, leaving me to die with no friend at my back. I would know what each of thee are capable of."
    Last edited by ProfessorM; 2010-09-17 at 09:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trog grows aggrivated. He's better than this, and he knows it. The noise of the bar throws off his concentration, causing him to miss notes and unbalance his rythme. A few coins roll and bounce his way, but he ignores them. "Maybe Trog change it up a bit..." he grumbles, twisting his head to pop his neck and clear his mind. "Lets try something else."

And so the Bard begins a new song. Not a song of sorrow and contemplation, but a song of excitement and joy. The melody he creates is now a more joyful and lively tune, the fiddles notes now fast and exciting. It is a more natural sound in the tavern, its pitch rising and falling with the action around him, as though it were the very heartbeat of the party. His plays a song of adventure, in hopes that it will inspire those around him... and hopefully land him a job.

Spoiler
    Show

Trying again, this time with a more "happy" tune that will fit the tavern's atmosphere.

Perform (Fiddle): (1d20+8)[19]

Ha! Just gotta find out what the crowd wants...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-09-17 at 10:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well lass, if you'll take noticed of me axe and me holy symbol you've prolly got an idea of me talents. It seems these misfit trvellers," he says with a grin to the other two, "are also plainly garbed in a fashion that be suggesting their ilk. You've prolly noticed me clansmen might be a wee bit bookish and this little one is prolly no good." In a conspiratorial whisper he leans towards the elf, "I'd watch your coin if I were you. He's a nasty li'l blighter."

With a quick nudge of his elbow he knocks the halfling on his shoulder and laughs as his friend stumbles a little.

15. - Top - End - #15

Liriam chuckles as his old friend shoves him. "Yeah, ya got me! In fact..."the halfling glances around conspiratorially, then reaches into the folds of his rags and pulls out a hefty sack brimming with coin. "This was empty a half hour ago" he whispers with a wink. "But don't worry, I'm very discreet, and I never take from my friends. I find it makes for short friendships."

As the strains of the half-orcs alleged music reach his ears, he laughs a little, then feels sorry. Poor thing, he must be confused. He thinks he's supposed to play it instead of beating someone with it. Gods bless his heart. In a moment of charity, Liriam takes a gold piece from his sack and flips it toward the "musician".

Actually, he's not half bad now that he's warmed up...
    Last edited by Marillion; 2010-09-18 at 01:07 PM.
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Torauk was lost in thought as he contemplated signing on with this specific group of characters. He was precisely calculating risks and rewards making sure he would end up on top. After the numerous possibilities pass through his mind, he finally comes to a conclusion.

Hmmm... yeess. I think that this group seems to have the greatest chance of surviving the perils of Undermountain and acquiring the riches it holds. It seems that with myself, my cleric companion, our halfling friend, and yourself, Tiemar, that we have a fairly well rounded traveling group. When do we depart?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shaking her braids, she laughed dryly. "At the moment, this group has the worst chance of surviving Undermountain, because we are the only group heading down. But it seems that you all know what you're doing, though I question the wisdom of waving a large sack full of stolen goods around in a tavern full of people you just lifted it from."

Dipping her quill again, she grabbed a fresh sheet and began to write briskly, talking as she penned. "Anything of monetary value will be split among the party members equally. If you are injured enough to need medical care, the cost of that care will be deducted from your share of the spoils. If you die, your share will be distributed amongst the others, unless it is enough to get you magically raised, in which case we will use it for that."

Finishing the draft of the contract, she signed it with a flourish and turned it around to face the trio in front of her. "We will meet tomorrow morning, just after dawn in front of the tavern. Please use today to purchase whatever supplies you have need of, say your prayers, and make arrangements in case of your demise. If I could have you all sign here please?" She looked up at them expectantly.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trog stomps on the gold coin as it rolls across the floor towards him, preventing it from rolling past him or getting swiped by anyone else. He continues to play, and flashes a toothy grin at the halfling who threw the money at him. "Trog takes requests!" he exclaims, continuing to play. "Anything in particular you'd like to hear?"

Spoiler
    Show

Do I need to keep rolling? Or do I just need to roll when I change songs or something...

In case I do, here's another roll, perhaps to speed or spice things up.

Perform (Fiddle): (1d20+8)[10]

Shoulda left the gold alone...
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-09-19 at 03:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Lycan 01 By now the tavern has returned to a moderately noisy level, though there are a few people obviously watching and enjoying your music.

ProfessorM As you're drafting the document, a man suddenly approaches your group. He's dressed in nobleman's garb, but you notice he lacks both signet rings and jewels. He talks with a honeyed voice, sounding friendly, but with an amount of ease that comes only from repetition. "My friends, it seems that amongst these people your group stands out. Why? Of course you're heading into the dungeon, unlike these pretenders, but you also have a certain something I can't put my finger on... I like you folks, so I'll give you some advice. If you want to survive down in the Undermountain, you need to know where you are at all times, and I can help you out there. I can see you have an avid interest in maps, and if you're interested I can help you procure a one-of-a-kind, recently procured, up-to-date map of Undermountain. What do you say?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tiemar gives the newcomer a good, hard look as she sprinkles drying sand over her document and the parts of the map that are finished. She considers his words carefully, trying to divine his intent.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[19]

I am indeed interested in maps, though I enjoy exploring areas myself and ensuring that my maps are totally accurate rather than trusting in the work of someone else. This, however, is somewhat of a different case than my usual work. If you can convince me of the authenticity and extent of the map, and have a method of transaction that is safe, I would perhaps be willing to purchase a copy.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Spoiler
    Show

As far as you can tell, the man is merely trying to sell you a map. You don't get the sense that he's scamming you, or trying to rip you off.

He replies, "Well of course madame, and while you may enjoy mapping for yourself, it's helpful to know where you're going before you get there. Even cartographers need a map every once and a while. As for the transaction, you'd be buying directly from the artist herself. If you're interested, she'll be waiting for you in the hall of pillars, trust me, you can't miss it.
    Last edited by Ser_Olmsted; 2010-09-20 at 02:14 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Trog continues to play his fiddle, hoping to rake in some more gold. He tries to pick up the pace a bit, and show the tavern patrons how fast and lively he could play. Perhaps "The Dragon Went Down to Georgia" or something of the sort. A real attention grabber. He could use the coin, and hopefully get the attention of some of these adventuring parties starting to form. The one with the lady selling maps and the gold throwing halfling seemed to be getting their act together, especially with some ritzy aristocrat chatting them up. But he wasn't going to just walk over there - it wasn't his style to ask for jobs. It made him look weak, like he had to beg for a job or something. People already looked down on him for being a half-orc. He didn't want them to pity him, too.

Spoiler
    Show

Trying to earn a living here...

Perform (Fiddle): (1d20+8)[26]

Edit: COME TO PAPPA!! *holds out hands for gold*
    Last edited by Lycan 01; 2010-09-22 at 12:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Liriam grins. "I told you I was discreet. Most of 'em won't even notice they been swindled."

Liriam nudges Korvere with his elbow. "Whaddaya think o' that half-orc over there? He's pretty big, we could use a guy like him for breaking things and such."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Torauk rolls his eyes and sits down back at his table. Clearly this was going nowhere fast. He sits and and waits for the others to get their act together so they could get on this expedition already....