Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 399

Thread: Paradigm Shift

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Paradigm Shift

    The early sunlight filters through the branches, lightening the shadows on the forest floor. The brisk chill of an unkind spring makes the skin prickle uncomfortably and the hair stand on end. The click of a loaded crossbow breaks the calm of the morning as quickly and irrevocably as a snapped twig.

    Once of Slow River Bend, Shielton feels his eyes abruptly open as sleep flees from him for what will likely be a very long time. As he squirms on the forest floor, trying to free himself from his bed of evergreen needles and rags, his first sight is the gleaming head of a crossbow bolt, aimed perfectly at his throat.

    Nathaniel Roc Pritchard stands calmly, his arm and his aim not wavering the slightest bit. He has to admit, the dirty halfling before him—the sorcerer—doesn’t look quite as dangerous as he’d been led to believe, but he’s far from foolish enough to think that means anything. All that it means is that half of his job has been completed. Now comes the tricky part.

    Mathias Denaud stands behind the halfling, as yet unnoticed, ready in case the fugitive decides to try anything on his temporary partner. His huge sword rests in his hands with an easy, familiar weight, and he thinks about the inconvenience and inefficiency of having to escort the sorcerer back for trial instead of handing out the sentence here and now.

    Garm awakes without moving, then adjusts his grip on his club and slowly stands. He can see two human men with weapons drawn on his newfound friend, but not immediately threatening. They must be the pursuers that Shielton has been fearing since they met. He watches quietly, wondering what he should do, and considers taking a lick of the Forest’s Dream for guidance.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    OOC: Hello guys, Gonna take Sienna as a color.

    Shielton is wrapped in the remains of old clothes and a cloak poorly covered in forest limbs. His red hair stands on end matted with twigs and forest decay sticking out. Wide blue eyes blood shot like wine on cracked glass gum themselves awake. Shielton is gaunt, his hands like a skeletal childs as he slowly pulls them from the thicket. A shiver courses up and down his arm.

    They are finally here Shielton thinks to himself. "What more could you want; you've taken everything I had once once..." Shielton says slowly. "Let me with in these woods alone. I'll never come out... Its too much out there for me. Please just leave me in peace with my dead out here so alone." In the woods a Raven will start to caw laughingly. He knows they have been talking to the voice of the woods about, Garm, the edges of reality changing.

    Shielton moves slowly to a sitting position meeing the eyes holding the gleaming bolt, afraid.
    Last edited by Duncfoo; 2010-09-22 at 11:48 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    OOCI'll take blue

    Garm hefts the club over his shoulder. Perhaps it would be best to see how this plays out on its own. He had found the halfling to be an interesting fellow, but these human headhunters have the look of men who had seen many foes fall before them. He looks to his right and sees that Kuba, his faithful bear, is watching the scene unfold. Kuba sniffs the air and looks expectantly at Garm. Garm considershis options carefully. As the 137th Keeper of the Forest's Dream, he has a duty to stay alive, at least until he sires the 138th Keeper. Perhaps the sorcerer is dangerous. He could easily have burned down the very forest that Garm is sworn to protect. However, the sorcerer's power could be just what Garm needs to ensure that the components of the Forest's Dream are never threatened again. As he does when faced with any hard decision, Garm again lets his gaze fall to the pouch of purple powder he wears on his belt. Perhaps the Forest's Dream will supply the guidance he needs.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    *OCC I choose"DarkOrchid".

    Nathaniel narrows his eyes. His clothes, typical finery of his country - fine slacks, shirt, vest and leather boots and gloves - are all dusty and worn with the weeks past travel. His face is slightly hidden from the shadow of his wide brimmed hat. He speaks, and his voice is low; his tone cold.

    "By order of his lordship, Prince-Bishop Augustus, consecrated by the Merciless Lady - The Gentle One - , I order you to throw down all objects malicious and sorcerous."

    Nathaniel removes a small red leather bound book from his breast pocket and holds it, unopened, just above the brim of his hat. The holy symbol of Ashaa, the Goddess of Death, is burned into the cover.

    "You are accused of crimes against the state and sacred mortal races of this world. By authority granted, you are found guilty and to be judged in the hereafter."
    You wanna get past us you gotta die first.
    My bearded blag
    xbox live - Simon Price l steam - SimonPrice

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    (OOC: I'll take Dark Red)

    Mathias clenches his hand around the handle of his sword as he crouches. It would be preferable to just take care of this now... he thinks. He has little patience for trials and procedures. Justice rarely comes trials or courts. Anyone with enough money can buy themselves a not-guilty verdict. True justice is enacted by the victim, or if the victim is not able, someone whom the victim chooses...and true justice includes vengeance.

    He watches Nathaniel lift the book and waits. Perhaps an opportunity for justice will present itself after all.
    Last edited by Mintaka; 2010-09-26 at 02:45 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    "You feel a threat Dark Man of my blasphemy? What I have is of the Gods as much as the beat of your heart. Wave no book at the suffering you have yet to understand." Shielton says standing, hands up.

    "We need nothing for changing reality, Dark Man. Malice, ha! I will come, if only to spit at your prince bishop then. You and your ilk killed... my children. My wife, oh she was pretty..." Shielton trails off before thrusting his arms up towards the sword wielding human, wrist crossed.

    "Tie me up tie me up oh their axe will pity me less than my own hands. I am... am failed." Shielton pleads, his eyes wide and unfocused."I am sorcerer, what so I do but run... " Shielton glances into the woods, "Join us woodman Garm, see what the woods fear. The justice of man, faithful to its own endurance..." Shielton will keep a low inconsistent rambling as he waits to be bound, occasionally lapsing into Draconic.

    OOC: Hmm.... Maybe a bit too drama... still trying to keep it in correct style too
    Last edited by Duncfoo; 2010-09-27 at 01:38 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Nathaniel sneers at the halfling. He returns the book to his pocket, and reaches into his travel-purse. He pulls out a tightly bound bundle of rope, keeping a steady aim with his cross-bow.

    "Mathias, bind his hands." He tosses the bundle of rope to Mathias's feet, "I will search his packs and pockets for magical objects."

    Nathaniel begins to step towards the halfling slowly, and turns his gaze towards Garm. "As for you, sir, I suggest you explain quickly your motives."
    You wanna get past us you gotta die first.
    My bearded blag
    xbox live - Simon Price l steam - SimonPrice

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    OOC: Apologies for the silence, group. I've been having connection problems at home and am swamped at work.

    Garm, sensing that his position has been compromised, emerges from the group of trees where he was sleeping. Standing at a full 6'5", the half orc is an impressive and imposing figure. Clad in leather armor and with a club strapped to his back, he adopts a posture that is neither passive nor threatening.

    My motives are my own, and not likely to be understood by one such as you, city dweller. Kuba, rearing up on his hind legs, lets out a threatening growl. Garm turns his head and holds out a hand to silence the perturbed bear. Perhaps against my better judgment, I call this halfling a friend. By what rights do you accuse him?

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    A search of Shielton will produce only crudely made tools, a near rusty knife and a set of three books in excellent condition. A spear with a fire hardened point, some poorly balanced javelins and a crude sling wrapped around his wrist would be the only items of danger. The books are bound in different hides and are of varying thickness. Arcane Symbols decorate the fronts and spines.

    Inside the books are filled out in random portions with unidentifiable scripts seeming to change for each filled portion.

    There will be nothing else on Shielton.
    Last edited by Duncfoo; 2010-10-01 at 01:13 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias gives Shielton a glare. No one orders him around. At the moment, however, the half-orc is of more concern to him than putting his partner in his proper place. He binds Shielton quickly and expertly, keeping his gaze on the half-orc at all times.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias ties Shielton's hands securely behind the halfling's back, and Nathaniel wastes no time in patting the suspect down. The witch hunter eyes the books suspiciously, then confiscates them and the old knife with practiced grace. Mathias and Garm eye each other without moving while Nathaniel finishes up. Shielton doesn't resist, his shoulders and heart hanging heavily at this latest shot of depressingness.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Shielton shakes his bound hands testing the knots. "These feel solid... The weight of bonds is something new, Dark Man, but something I should become used to..."

    To Mathias "... How does it feel, hunting the hopeless? Lead me away Big One. Where ever I go ruin will follow. Ruin. Its our curse by your cause..." Shielton says heaving a large sigh and looking towards his feet. "Lead us away to doom Dark Man. Lead us away to what ever squalor you call justice."

    Everyone will notice Shielton trying to not watch the set of books as they are stowed by Nathaniel.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias says "Let's go." He turns to the orc "I advise you not to interfere." He needs no words, his expression alone implies what will happen should his "advice" be disobeyed. (Roll intimidation check)

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Garm scoffs internally at Mathias' attempt to intimidate him. Then he catches the look in the human's eyes, and feels his spine go cold and his stomach drop down to his balls. The human means it, with the certainty of someone who has clearly dealt with interference before, in ways that no one would ever wish to experience. Garm takes an involuntary step back, and feels relief wash over him when Mathias finally looks back at the others. [Intimidate check: Mathias = 22 vs. Garm = 18]
    Last edited by hydingjekyll; 2010-10-11 at 01:24 AM.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Satisfied that the situation is under control, Nathaniel tucks his book back into his pocket, then holsters his crossbow. Shielton's prattling stirs another sneer from Nathaniel. He grabs Shielton's ropes and roughly shoves him down the trail.

    "If you co-operate, orc, we won't have to bind you, but you're to come with us back to the monastery of Saeon for questioning. I suggest you secure your beast, as well." Nathaniel turns and faces the orc, "The Saeon clerics may be judgmental of a half-breeds with trained bears."

    Nathaniel looks to his traveling companion Matheis and motions toward Garm. "Let's be on our way. The day is still young, and the quicker we put this business to rest the better."
    Last edited by bitter_howls; 2010-11-06 at 11:46 PM.
    You wanna get past us you gotta die first.
    My bearded blag
    xbox live - Simon Price l steam - SimonPrice

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Paradigm Shift

    Garm looks from the humans, to the halfling, and back again. Regaining his composure, he speaks to the headhunters. Very well. I will accompany you. If for no other reason, then to make sure Shielton receives a fair trial. He glances warily at Matias's sword. Or a trial at the very least.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Shielton

    The rough shove nearly takes the halfling off his feet. "No need to drag Dark Man, leading is an option. Garm my friend you offer solace to a condemed man. I'm sure Beryk will smile on you ..." Shielton will follow not even looking over his shoulder at his old hole in the ground.

    A Raven will loudly caw and start following the party from to tree as they leave the area.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Nathaniel leads the way, pulling Shielton along with no gentleness to spare; Garm and his bear follow behind them, quietly keeping an eye on Nathaniel for any more overt hostility; and Mathias brings up the rear, keeping his eyes on Garm and Shielton both, and his hand on the hilt of his blade.

    Shileton winces, almost audibly, as he realizes that the group's path out of the woods leads them right through the town of Slow River Bend. The community of halflings and elves quickly takes notice of the strangers marching their lost neighbor through the streets, and word travels fast among the citizens. It's mere moments before crowds form around the group, and few are slow to speak.

    "Hey, it's Shielton! He looks awful."
    "String him up! He murdered his family!"
    "He did not! It was marauders! I saw 'em! He's a decent fellow."
    "I heard he was a sorcerer!"
    "What, Shielton? Wow, it's always the one you least suspect."
    One balding elf makes his way through the crowd and comes right up to the halfling as he's tugged along by Nathaniel -- Shielton's neighbor and friend Riger. "Shielton! What's going on? I thought you'd died when your house burned down. Who are these guys?" he asks frantically, pointedly ignoring the irate looks from Shielton's captors.
    Last edited by hydingjekyll; 2010-10-27 at 06:53 PM.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    eek Re: Paradigm Shift

    Shielton

    As soon as Slow River Bend is clear Shielton hides his face and tries to round his shoulders hunching behind the slight human, hissing "This is innapropriate. You curr. I curse your entire Order. Oh humilitation. Ashaa quit your smiling and take me now..." Shielton's body will begin to visibly tremor as his agitation increases.

    When the first villager talks to Shielton he jumps and quickly looks away. With the approach of Riger an old friend and trusted confidant Shielton finally unravels and begins to lie to Riger as convincingly as he can.

    "Back away dear friend! The one with the large sword is positively unhinged. I saw the fire at the cottage start and I lost my mind dear friend. I fled into the woods and got lost... So lost! Fortunately I was rescued by the man with the bear. And... They are bringing me in for some questioning on just... questions to see if I can help them figure out who caused the fire. Its a sad business but they don't trust me!! Soon I'll be back. Yes back in the village and we can share stories, oh such sad stories..." Shielton trails off before finishing, "Move away quickly before the meriless remember their nature Riger!"

    Bluff (1d20+5)[19](24)

    OOC: Woot first roll! I'm ok with either high or low though.
    Last edited by Duncfoo; 2010-10-23 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Bad Formatting

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Garm looks about nervously. Civilization, even a village as small as Slow River Bend, has always been a bit much for him. He looks to Kuba, who shares his discomfort. The bear snarls at a halfling child who swiftly runs off screaming. "Easy, my friend," Garm mutters to the growling bear. "We will return to our woods once Shelton has been given a fair trial. If we abandon him, these men just may decide to administer their own form of justice."

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias silently follows behind the group, simultaneously watching both the processing and scanning the crowd for any sign of potential trouble (spot check?)

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Riger nods enthusiastically. "Oh! Oh, all right, yeah, I get that." He steps back, glad of the excuse to move away from the dangerous-looking humans. "I hope you get back soon, my friend. We'll keep a beer ready for you at the tavern. You human guys treat him good! He's a good man!" [Bluff check = successful] [50 XP to Shielton for getting Riger away from a potentiall dangerous situation] {OOC: For future reference, everyone please just leave any rolling to me; it keeps things simpler.}

    Other people are backing away from Kuba without having to talk to anyone. The nervous bear bristles, and the townspeople give it a wide berth. This is fine with Mathias, who accepts the extra space between himself and the citizens as a buffer zone for anyone who might try to charge in and attack. The added security doesn't stop him from scanning the crowd for signs of aggression -- lucky for them, he doesn't see any. [Spot check = secret]

    So it's a mystery when a rock comes flying out of the crowd and beans Shielton in the shoulder. [attack roll = 13, damage = 1] "You family-killing sorcerer scum!" screams out a male voice. "I hope your burn just like your children did!"

    The crowd's individual voices rise from one to dozens to apparently the entire village in only a few short seconds. Above the indistinct roar, a few snatches are overheard.

    "- dare you! He's innocent!"
    "Sorcerers are a curse from the gods for your wickedness!"
    "Kill all the sorcerers! Get rid of -"
    "Augh! Ow! Aaaugh! Aaaaaaaaaugh!"

    The crowd transforms instantly into an ugly mob, with rocks whistling through the air at Shielton and his captors while others target individuals in the crowd. Several people are dragged down, kicked and beaten; accusations are flung at Shielton and the others, as well as people in the crowd; Riger is thrown to the ground and set upon; invisible amid the rabble, children scream in terror, or maybe pain.

    Amid the chaos, the group is not immune to the flying stones. Nathaniel deftly evades any rocks that come his way, and several glance off Mathias' glamered armor. Kuba another stone hits Kuba in the head [3 damage]; Garm ducks one stone and barely has time to restrain the snarling Kuba before another hits him in the stomach [2 damage]. Bound, Shielton is barely able to duck his head away from the salvo, and takes a rock directly to the face [critical hit - 3 damage]. [various attack and probability rolls]
    Last edited by hydingjekyll; 2010-10-27 at 06:55 PM.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Garm clenches his teeth. Civilization, huh? At least animals kill eachother for food. These people just seem to want to kill eachother for the hell of it. He turns to Mathias and Nathaniel. "I can only hold Kuba back for so long. Let us leave this place and perhaps the violence will die down. If we stay, needless blood will be spilled." (Full Defense)

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Shielton whimpers as blood pours down his face from a gash on his forhead. He will attempt to hide behind Nathaniel (Full Defense). "NO RIGER!! Garm is right. Show me the length of your stride Dark Man. Your disciples have scared them so often the barest whisper of magi, witch or sorceror sends them to fury," yells Shielton over the din of the mob, starting to push the Mage Hunter foward. (Possibly in the wrong direction, probably ineffectively)
    Last edited by Duncfoo; 2010-10-28 at 06:32 PM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias draws his massive sword and snarls at the crowd. "Stay back!"(Intimidation check). He pulls Shielton toward him and holds the sword in front of him. Justice does not come at the hands of mobs. He yanks Shielton in the direction of the town prison, knowing the others in the party can defend themselves.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias' drawn sword does little to dissuade the crowd - if anything, the threat makes those who see even less friendly toward him. [Intimidate: Mathias = 13, crowd = 19] They're not stupid enough to charge a huge guy with a huge sword, but rocks continue to hail down from the crowd, even more of them at Mathias than before. [various attack rolls, no hits]

    Shielton freezes in place the instant the blade is sheathed, no longer pushing Nathaniel, but with Mathias guiding him and Nathaniel leading the way, the entire group quickly moves away from the mob. Mathias keeps a sharp eye and a sharper sword out for trouble, but no one seems willing to physically follow them.

    Mathias takes a cursory look around as they retreat, but can't remember having seen any prisons on their way through town [Kowledge: Local check = 9]. Instead, Nathaniel leads them out of town as quickly as possible, and into the open plains beyond. It's not long before the screams of the crowd are dead in the distance, leaving the group to nurse their bruises and grudges in peace.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Garm scans the horizon (Spot Check), and wracks his brain to remember what he knows of these plains (Knowledge Nature, Local, Geography, Whatever).

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Shielton will sit on the ground despondent and bleeding with occasional grumbling over this poor plan and his aching wrists.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Garm adjusts the Eyes of the Eagle on the bridge of his wide nose and looks ahead: there's a long, well-worn road ahead, though it doesn't have much traffic on it at the moment. It seems that there isn't much to make people come and go from Slow River Bend. On this side of the river, the road passes through some expanse of open, uneven plains before being devoured by the waiting gullet of another forest. [Spot = 21] Although Garm hasn't paid much attention to the names and customs of the folk outside of his own forest, he does know that the large road probably leads into one of the larger cities in this part of the ... what are they called? ... country. He thinks this one might be called Brevvelak. [Knowledge: Geography = 12]

    Shielton sinks to the ground, tired and bleeding, and the others stand there and assess the road ahead. For Nathaniel and Mathias, they're looking back the way they came -- away from Slow River Bend, and back toward their employer, Magnus Caliazo.
    Last edited by hydingjekyll; 2010-11-03 at 11:25 PM.
    Real life is like Dungeons & Dragons: you should treat people as more than just their race and class.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2010

    Default Re: Paradigm Shift

    Mathias says to Nathanial "Bandage the fool." and points to the blubbering, bleeding Shielton. "Our client wants him alive."

    He turns to Garm. "You know this area, do you not?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •