New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Water

I'm making a Dread Necromancer Walker in the Wastes, using the Arcane Disciple feat to bridge the gap between the two classes. The only think I'm really worried about is getting rained on and having to deal with water (walkers in the waste are affected by normal water as if it were holy water). That said, is there a good way to basically not get wet when you can't sidetrack the sources of water yourself (I.E. having it rain on you or getting a glass of water thrown to your face)?

aka: what magic items can keep all water away from me and make me fully water proof?
    Last edited by TechnOkami; 2010-09-20 at 11:15 PM. Reason: more detalied context to get people to help me by knowing what I actually want
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Water

Would a ring of deflection work?

I've had characters use Ring of Force shield as an umbrella...

Or, if you want to slide a bit out of the way...

I don't have the link at the minute, but Magical Hydrophobia, IIRC has an option where instead of gaining a feat, you gain the ability to repel water.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm. Either or would work. The hydrophobia would be interesting to RP into the character, I'd just like to know where it is.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Carry a parasol!

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    Carry a parasol!
    A spoooooky parasol. With a wand built into it.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    A spoooooky parasol. With a wand built into it.
    YES! You need at least half a dozen parasols, all with a unique variety of wand built in. Also, a black suit.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2010-09-21 at 12:01 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.

My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

What about an umbrella with a wand inside which is snapped in half?

Please don't hurt me.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

That would be interesting... especially since my concept of a Walker in the Wastes is like an Egyptian mummy. Oh yeah, mummy with a parasol, whatcha gonna do?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that the water doesn't disappear when it fails to hit you, but forms an ongoing environmental hazard with the ground, and seeping into your shoes, and splashing and all that. My recommendation is basically a rubber body suit if you can get one, backed by enchantments as necessary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    YES! You need at least half a dozen parasols, all with a unique variety of wand built in. Also, a black suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    That would be interesting... especially since my concept of a Walker in the Wastes is like an Egyptian mummy. Oh yeah, mummy with a parasol, whatcha gonna do?
    Yes. Do it.

Have all your wand-parasols in varying styles of black on black, and then, have a perfectly normal one that you use on holidays (ancient holidays that no one has celebrated for thousands of years, of which you give hilarious names and purposes, and that seem to crop up every time there's downtime of any kind) that is bright pink with white lace frills. Profess that this was the color of celebration back in your day.

Become extremely offended if someone mocks your pink parasol.

EDIT: Visual aids:
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, can you see it? Can you see it?!
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-09-21 at 12:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that the water doesn't disappear when it fails to hit you, but forms an ongoing environmental hazard with the ground, and seeping into your shoes, and splashing and all that. My recommendation is basically a rubber body suit if you can get one, backed by enchantments as necessary.
    Egyptian Mummy with a parasol and galoshes.

Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes. Do it.

Have all your wand-parasols in varying styles of black on black, and then, have a perfectly normal one that you use on holidays (ancient holidays that no one has celebrated for thousands of years, of which you give hilarious names and purposes, and that seem to crop up every time there's downtime of any kind) that is bright pink with white lace frills. Profess that this was the color of celebration back in your day.

That... sounds hilarious.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yes. Do it.

For some reason, aside the HP reference, my first thought wasn't the mummy, but The Penguin from Batman.
    Can you get a desert adapted penguin, or just undead penquins?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

With top hats, monocles and suit coats?? HELLZ YES!!!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herrhauptmann View Post
    For some reason, aside the HP reference, my first thought wasn't the mummy, but The Penguin from Batman.
    Can you get a desert adapted penguin, or just undead penquins?
    I don't see why you couldn't have some Spellstitched Penguin Ghouls or something. Wrap them in bandages for added aesthetic appeal.

Rest assured that, were some poor fool to trudge to the top of a sand dune and be met with the sight of a Lich-Mummy wielding a pink parasol, in his galoshes and black three-piece suit, followed shortly after by a mob of mummy-penguins adorably waddling through the sand, there's a good chance they'll just give up. There's not much point in fighting it by then.

Obviously the penguins interest you, because you're from a desert, and they're also from a desert - just an issue of hot/cold. And they're just cute as buttons, aren't they? Don't waste an opportunity to point this out as you meticulously and maternally secure their wrappings (and bow ties, and monocles, etc, of course) every morning.
    Last edited by Xefas; 2010-09-21 at 12:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The Shape Soulmeld feat can give a character the ability to walk on water. That will help against areas that are flooded.

Finding some sort of item that repels water at least for a few centimeters shouldn't be too hard.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see why you couldn't have some Spellstitched Penguin Ghouls or something. Wrap them in bandages for added aesthetic appeal.

Rest assured that, were some poor fool to trudge to the top of a sand dune and be met with the sight of a Lich-Mummy wielding a pink parasol, in his galoshes and black three-piece suit, followed shortly after by a mob of mummy-penguins adorably waddling through the sand, there's a good chance they'll just give up. There's not much point in fighting it by then.

Obviously the penguins interest you, because you're from a desert, and they're also from a desert - just an issue of hot/cold. And they're just cute as buttons, aren't they? Don't waste an opportunity to point this out as you meticulously and maternally secure their wrappings (and bow ties, and monocles, etc, of course) every morning.
    Now I'm gonna make her a CN girly little mummy lich with a personal army of penguils wielding parasols, herself carrying the frilly one around. Sorry, but she's gonna look like an Egyptian Mummyesque sort of Lich Queen, not an English(woman?)man.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Now I'm gonna make her a CN girly little mummy lich with a personal army of penguils wielding parasols, herself carrying the frilly one around. Sorry, but she's gonna look like an Egyptian Mummyesque sort of Lich Queen, not an English(woman?)man.
    I guess that's fine, too. As an extra bonus, I now have a perfect NPC character for a future game session.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh haha XD I'm gonna be playing this one, its too funny not to do.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

The hydration suit from Sandstorm is designed to keep water in- but might count as being able to keep water out as well.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Epic win! (Obligatory filler text.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

...and you can also add some Hello Kitty Vampires on it.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Speaking of umbrellas ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3mqYDZN5yQ

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Can't you memorise Tenser's Floating Disk backwards, to have it upside down. Then tell it to hover over you...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The hydration suit from Sandstorm is designed to keep water in- but might count as being able to keep water out as well.
    Wear it inside out
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Did they eat a bowl of Jello menacingly at it? I feel that would give a hefty Intimidate bonus versus GCubes. "OHAI LOOK MR. JELLY CUBE, I EAT YOUR SMALL COUSINS FOR DELICIOUS SNACKS. OM NOM GELATIN."
    How ELSE would defeat a Gelatinous cube

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Seffbasilisk View Post
    This is basically the best thing ever.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

That is all.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chipp Zanuff View Post

That is all.
    I admit defeat. THAT (more than likely) is my new character concept.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Step 1: Then attach a drill.
    Step 2: Speak only in grunts.
    Step 3: Find a little girl
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit