New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

tongue Why Spellcasting Is Unbalanced (And It's Not Why You Think)

A lot of people (myself included) tout the potential and strength of spellcasting and its subdomain, item crafting. We all know spellcasting is potentially broken in and of itself, and item crafting allows one to escape the bounds of the WBL system.

I'm here to say that spellcasting itself breaks the WBL system.

No, no, hear me out. We can extrapolate from the 'spell trigger' item cost. Spell Level * Caster Level * 750gp. We'll be nice and say that a wand is a 'wrong slot', so it has a *1.5 price adjustment. After that, the base cost of a wand in the 'right slot' (the mind slot) is SL*CL*500gp.

Therefore, a ninth level spell slot at 17th level (when a wizard first gets access) is worth 9*17*500=76500gp. Each day. A 17th level wizard has, essentially, free buckets of wealth each day simply from being a wizard. A fighter, on the other hand, has a much smaller pool of free wealth daily. Extrapolating from the dark blue rhomboid ioun stone (which grants Alertness as a bonus feat), we can assume that a bonus feat is 5000gp (since an ioun stone is a slotless item, it automatically doubles the price). At 17th level, a fighter will have 9 free bonus feats, totaling 45000gp.

One ninth level spell slot is worth comparatively more than all of the fighter's bonus feats put together.

So from here I will submit to you: a 20th level wizard with a 36 Intelligence has, essentially, 2,860,000gp free each day EDIT This number is incorrect: read down for why. tl;dr I forgot the 1/5th cost for 1 use per day rather than 50 charges. If you had that much gp for a 20th level fighter on top of your base wealth by level (including consumables that would refresh daily), how much could you trick out your fighter, and how would they compare to a 20th level wizard without that wealth (since they already get it in the form of spellcasting)? Leave out prestige classes, since we're illustrating a point about base classes rather than prestige classes. I'll even be nice to the fighter and not count his (or the wizard's) bonus feats in that wealth total.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-09-24 at 03:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Why Spellcasting Is Unbalanced (And It's Not Why You Think)

Haha. Nice.

It all pretty much get's dropped into disposable items after you buy all of the nice stuff.

It wouldn't be remotely balanced but it would be funny as hell.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Hmm, 20 crafted contingent spells that automatically come back every day, and that's just the start...

I could build a pretty hefty fighter with that much gear. I'm not too sure how much of a difference there'd be between that fighter and a commoner with the same gear, but he would be pretty powerful.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me that instead of using a wand, I could have instead used a stave that mimicked the sorcerer's entire class. I am, of course, lazy, so someone should do this for me.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2010-09-24 at 02:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

It still amazes me that people look at magic and expect it to not break things. I mean, that's what it's there for!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

6. - Top - End - #6

Heh. It actually wouldn't be too difficult to make a staff that's better than the entire Sorcerer class - for one day. But with this auto-refreshing gear scheme, that's all you need.

Let's see:
    9th level spell: 750 * 9 * 20 = 135000
    Extra 9th level spell: 750 * 9 * 20 * .75 = 101250
    Third 9th level spell: 750 * 9 * 20 * .5 = 67500
    3 8th level spells: 750 * 8 * 20 * .5 * 3 = 180000
    3 7th level spells: 750 * 7 * 20 * .5 * 3 = 157500
    3 6th level spells: 750 * 6 * 20 * .5 * 3 = 135000
    4 5th level spells: 750 * 5 * 20 * .5 * 4 = 150000
    4 4th level spells: 750 * 4 * 20 * .5 * 4 = 120000
    4 3rd level spells: 750 * 3 * 20 * .5 * 4 = 90000
    5 2nd level spells: 750 * 2 * 20 * .5 * 5 = 75000
    5 1st level spells: 750 * 1 * 20 * .5 * 5 = 37500
    9 0th level spells: 750 * .5 * 20 * .5 * 9 = 33750

Total = 1282500

Now, the Sorcerer would have more total spells per day than this staff has charges, but he wouldn't have the flexibility of using his cantrip slots to cast 9th level spells. But what the heck, let's get two of these. No Sorcerer 20 is going to have more than 100 spell slots without some serious cheese.

That's 2565000 gp. We have now more than duplicated the Sorcerer class (minus familiar), and we still have 295000 gp to spare. Spend some of it on boosting UMD so we can properly use our mega-staves, and we're ready to go.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I just have to point out that the wand price is for 50 uses. 1/day would be 2/5th that price (charged is 1/2 base price, 1/day is 1/5 base price) so only 30,600 GP per 9th level slot. This values all of a 17th level fighter's bonus feats at approximately 1.5 9th level spells.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    No, no, hear me out. We can extrapolate from the 'spell trigger' item cost. Spell Level * Caster Level * 750gp. We'll be nice and say that a wand is a 'wrong slot', so it has a *1.5 price adjustment. After that, the base cost of a wand in the 'right slot' (the mind slot) is SL*CL*500gp.

Therefore, a ninth level spell slot at 17th level (when a wizard first gets access) is worth 9*17*500=76500gp. Each day.
    Wait, Fax, either I'm misunderstanding your point or you're miscalculating here. The price you calculate is for a full wand, with 50 charges. He doesn't get that amount each day, because he can't cast his spell 50 times in a day. You would still probably find that casters are obscenely wealthy in this sense.

You've still got a good point here. You could calculate the price of a one-use-per-day permanent item, and say that each spell slot is worth that much (or more, since h gets nice perks like casting stat to DC)...but as a one-time wealth bonus, not as a per-day thing. (Or if you do want to think of it as a continuous income stream, the per-day benefit is 1/50 the wand cost.)

EDIT: Ninja'd.
    Last edited by mucat; 2010-09-24 at 03:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

On a related (and more conservative) note, the PHB has a table for purchasing a spell from a caster. Ignoring any costly material components, the value of a 20th level Generalist Wizard spell slots is 36, 400 gp per day!

That's just amusing to think about, that by adventuring, casters are potentially losing out on thousands of gold pieces per day they could get by selling their spells to NPC's...
    "A little technobabble is good for the soul." -Captain Jack Harkness

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, true. Uhm... *plugs numbers into a spreadsheet*

Alright, so the actual gp value on the 1/5th uses-per-day adjustment I forgot is 572,000gp. A little more reasonable but still almost equal to a 19th level character's total WBL.

11. - Top - End - #11

These stop looking like magic items and more like artifacts, if you ask me. Pretty ineresting idea though.
    Last edited by Dante & Vergil; 2010-09-24 at 03:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The distinction between crafted magic items and "artifacts" is largely pointless, though, especially since high level wizards are less and less indistinguishable from deities. Especially since many artifacts have a mechanically established way of making them in the system for general magic item creation. Sure, flavor-wise, but flavor isn't what's on trial here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gort, Lord of Hellfire
    Pah! No door will stand in the path of Gort!
    Avatar is "Red King" Gort, shamelessly ripped from Darken.

Badges of Honor
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing
    You're a horribly person
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This is actually really good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Nobody expects the Usurpation!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

This is an interesting concept, but I think it's a backwards way of looking at things, at least from my experience in more easily solvable competitive games. You don't look at how much something can buy you if you were to get the gold it would be worth from items, you look at the benefit it gives you and how valuable it is.

To sum it up, it winds up being circular logic; you use the price, which is determined by how powerful something is, to determine how powerful something is... which is what should be defining the price.
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2010-09-24 at 04:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Ignition View Post
    The distinction between crafted magic items and "artifacts" is largely pointless, though, especially since high level wizards are less and less indistinguishable from deities. Especially since many artifacts have a mechanically established way of making them in the system for general magic item creation. Sure, flavor-wise, but flavor isn't what's on trial here.
    I'm just saying that not many items are created like this, but they can be. It's no biggy really.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    To sum it up, it winds up being circular logic; you use the price, which is determined by how powerful something is, to determine how powerful something is... which is what should be defining the price.
    Oh, of course. It's just amusing, to me, that replicating a sorcerer comes out to two and a half million gp.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    This is an interesting concept, but I think it's a backwards way of looking at things, at least from my experience in more easily solvable competitive games. You don't look at how much something can buy you if you were to get the gold it would be worth from items, you look at the benefit it gives you and how valuable it is.

Correct. Plus, the wizard "gets" the "free gold", but cannot spend it on things such as the uberstaves mentioned above, so its not exactly getting it

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Oh, of course. It's just amusing, to me, that replicating a sorcerer comes out to two and a half million gp.
    I think just one of that staff would be sufficient to reasonably approximate a sorcerer for one day. I only added the second one because it was within the stated budget and would change it from "can't match total spell slots but has advantages to compensate" to "strictly superior in every way".

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Correct. Plus, the wizard "gets" the "free gold", but cannot spend it on things such as the uberstaves mentioned above, so its not exactly getting it
    Fabricate would like a word with you. Several words, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Wasn't WbL broken to begin with? This just makes it...ummm...shattered (I think that's the word I'm looking for).
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Not all feats cost the same, though.

Improved Critical [Keen] costs 6,000gp, being the difference between a +2 and a +1 weapon.

I can pick up Two Weapon Fighting or Improved Two Weapon Fighting from the same magic item for 8,000gp [Gloves of the Balanced Hand].

Skill Focus: Hide can be had for 900gp [Custom Item: Lesser Cloak of Elvenkind, +3 bonus].

Bracers of Lesser Archery give me Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus feats for every single kind of bow (excluding crossbows) for 5,000gp.

---

I suppose what I'm saying is that it's hard to make a value judgement for what all feats are worth based on the cost of a single magic item that grants a feat.

Edit:

If you put Keen on a +5 weapon, all of a sudden that feat [effectively Improved Critical] cost 22,000gp. Put it on a +9 weapon and the feat cost 38,000gp.

Likewise not all spell slots are worth the same. Gate does not have the same value as a Maximized Fireball Heightened to 9th level.

The cost & value of any widget, either a spell slot or a feat, depends on its use. I think it's right to say that spell slots have higher potential value, just by the nature of what spells can do. Some feats are better than spells, like Darkstalker or Mindsight or Power Attack. I'm not trying to start a Fighter vs Wizard argument - just saying that the value is not in the widget itself [feat vs spell slot] - the value is in the use.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2010-09-24 at 09:44 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Fabricate would like a word with you. Several words, actually.
    Fabricate does not allow you to freely craft magic items, nor does it allow you to convert your daily spells into gold.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Fabricate does not allow you to freely craft magic items, nor does it allow you to convert your daily spells into gold.
    No, it allows you to convert your daily spells into massive quantities of sell-able items, many of which are fluffed as being in high demand, others (like, say, steel) being capable of reworking into something even more valuable, like tools, weapons, construction materials, et cetera, so forth, thus providing all the wealth you need.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

23. - Top - End - #23

True, though the gold provided/day is less than what the OP's calculations came out to be. This also relies on NPCs to purchase these items. If you want to save up the 1282500 for an uberstaff, you will have to find NPCs to buy that much from you. And no, you can't just find an epic level NPC, because mundane tools that can be crafted with fabricate would not be useful to high level NPCs with PC class levels--they would be used more by experts and commoners. In short, fabricate DOES allow a stream of income, but it is limited by the wealth of common NPCs, which is rather small.
    Actually, similar results could be obtained with the perform skill--no spellcasting involved.

24. - Top - End - #24

Yep, Wall of Iron + Fabricate and you can produce dozens of suits of masterwork full plate in a day.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

25. - Top - End - #25

I dunno, you could make loads selling construction materials for golems, traps, and evil fortresses.

Y'know, kind of a traveling mining concern. "Roll on up, I've got your castle in a box right here!"

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #26

Just be glad you aren't using the trap rules.

Create a Fabricate trap and you can have it producing non magical goods by the thousands every day at no cost. Store one in a portable hole and activate it when you want the good that that trap makes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yep, Wall of Iron + Fabricate and you can produce dozens of suits of masterwork full plate in a day.
    Not quite that easy, mate. Don't forget the wool padding and the leather backing/straps.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Marnath View Post
    Not quite that easy, mate. Don't forget the wool padding and the leather backing/straps.
    Ok, wall of iron plus a few GP worth of incidentals.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Ok, wall of iron plus a few GP worth of incidentals.
    Yeah, I know it wasn't worth mentioning. I'm an annoying guy. ^.^
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

as Haley said about not believing there is even a 17th lvl cleric in existance. not even a kingdom could afford to pay that wizard. His wealth is in telling reality to sit down and shut up.

a billion gold will not save you from a colossal dragon unless spent. And thats exactly what a wizard does with his "money"
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"