Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Quote Originally Posted by sbwilson View Post
    Petrillia Ilyanov

"Either way, I'll stay with you guys. I'm not really interested in scrambling around on my own or messing with a cave-in...but whatever TopDog is doing, it can't be good - I mean, how close to town are we?"

Brandon Bor

"Pretty far," he answered Petrilia.

"We are in a series of tunnels connected to a wood mill across the river, owned by Lord Bost. If the tunnels collapse, the mill might be damaged."

He looked around at the other party members. "I guess we've agreed to go after TopDog, then?"

Assuming everyone was in agreement and were ready to go with him, Brandon strode forward in the direction the little kobold captive indicated, glowing bug organ held before him, his sword in his other hand. He walked at a measured pace, so that he had a chance to see what he was walking into, or under, before taking the next step.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid grinned and winked at the kobold, and, since the guy really seemed as if he was being superly honest, he held a halting hand up at Brandon. "Wait a minute. The little guy isn't all that bad. You can understand. He was probably just following orders, you know? I say that we should let him go. He might want to get a few licks in on his old boss." He stamped a foot with finality. "Hey, a thief's gotta eat, and this one doesn't seem as nasty as plenty of human thieves!" He then shrugged and added, while gauging everyone's reactions to his request, "Or we can just leave him here and let him go, when we're done. But no turning him in to Bost. Or killing. Alright?"

Unless the group decides that they'd rather just kill him, he'll go along with whatever, then express his eagerness to deal with the kobold leader.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The fighter paused and looked thoughtfully at Sid.

Then he looked at Petrilia.

"Hmm. What does the lady think? She has most reason to be angry, since she was their captive."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne stands watch in a corner, listening to Pretilia's story and shaking her head at the attempts to deal with the kobold. "Ms. Ilyanov, I pity you for spending even a minute among this filth and rancid smell. Kill the runt or set him free, let us decide quickly and not tortue you any further."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia looked from one person to another. Great, she thought, they're going to make me decide. I suppose no one here is interested in killing it in cold blood...except maybe the elf lady. I could see her doing it. But would I...?

"I can't honestly say it's harmless, and I don't want it anywhere near me, but I think there was enough of a split among the dogmen that it really would help us get TopDog. Why, I don't know. I suppose it has its own reasons. I don't trust it. But as long as it is kept away from me..."

"Do you hear me?" Petrillia turns on Creeper and points to Brandon. "Stay away from me or I'll have BigGuy here cut you down like Halav himself."

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff, bluff the stupid ogre kobold!

"Let's go so we can get out of here."
    Last edited by sbwilson; 2010-12-21 at 11:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #306

Stefan Reinhardt

"I'm all for that. Let's go." Stefan breathes a sigh of relief, falling into line. "The sooner this is all over the sooner we can all bathe, right?"

Stefan adjusted his helmet and armor, trying to get focused again.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us be about it, then." Nathros leads the way!
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The floor of the hallway seems well-trod and the breadth of the passage sufficiently wide for easy passage. It travels a goodly way with a subtle downward slope, though Nathros notices as it begins to slope upwards again in the last several feet.

At the edge of his light, Nathros spots what Creeper described - a kobold, a bit better dressed and slightly larger than the others, digging foolishly at the bottom of a cave-in that covers the entire tunnel ahead. He clearly doesn't hear the approach, but notices the light increase behind him.

Spoiler
    Show

PCs win Initiative: 1d6=5, 1d6=2

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-12-23 at 08:00 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Since the party seemed to have caught the well-dressed kobold by surprise, Brandon said quietly, "Shoot the little bugger, will you?"

In the meantime, he dropped the glowing bug organ on the floor of the cavern, took up his shield, and stepped forward, intercepting and striking TopDog if and when he ran at and attacked the party.

Spoiler
    Show

For this round, at least, Brandon will attack only if TopDog will come within melee range. His theory is that it is best if the other party members can subdue or kill him from afar.

Therefore, the following attack roll waits on TopDog's melee attack.

Attack: (1d20+1)[14]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[2]

10. - Top - End - #310

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

With the group's consensus to release Creeper, Sid untied him and handed Brandon his rope. He leaned in close to the guy before nodding him forward. "Glad to have you with us, buddy. Try to slip by me again, though, and I won't be so helpful." He stays to the rear of the group, keeping an eye on Creeper, until they arrive at the cave-in. He shot at it, as soon as it came into view, and only then registered that Brandon had said something. "Huh? Speak up! And look out!"

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Attack ---> (1d20+2)[10] Damage ---> (1d6)[5]

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

11. - Top - End - #311

Brandon's words get TopDog's attention and the little dog-man turns toward the group. Sid spies the kobold, but has no shot from his spot at the back of the group. The hallway would perhaps permit him to squeeze by the group, but it'd be a bit of a production.

Spoiler
    Show

You could all stand to one side, if you wanted, or march doublewide through the hallway.

Marching order? Width?
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked annoyed to see that the kobold commander could not be shot safely from a distance.

Kicking the glowing bug organ before him as he went, he walked to the left of the narrow passage, shield in front of him and his sword ready to hack at TopDog.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone wants to go in the front rank with Brandon, he will let the other do so on his right. If not, he will block the way so TopDog cannot attack the less-armored party members.

Attack: (1d20+1)[12]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt this cur has the spirit to put up much of a fight," says Nathros, steeping forward with his short sword threateningly. "Nowhere left to flee; surrender yourself and we may yet be merciful!"
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

"This feels unsportsmanlike. If I didn't give my word to clear this place out I'd suggest we leave him to his digging."

15. - Top - End - #315

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

What a pathetic sight... Seeing TopDog digging away at the cave-in just looked...sad to Petrillia. For a fleeting moment, she felt a bit thankful to the dogman for keeping her alive. Just as suddenly, suspicion kicked in. Why would he keep me alive? Why does Creeper oppose him? Why should I care? These things are barely more than animals.

As TopDog turned around at Brandon's voice and the others looked like they were preparing to kill it, Petrillia presses herself against the cave wall and tries to stay out of TopDog's view.

16. - Top - End - #316

Brandon and Nathros stand side by side, blocking the width of the tunnel. Behind them stands Stefan, Petrillia, Jeanne, Sid, and trailing well behind, Creeper.

Brandon's swipe misses the kobold leader who turns and throws a rock in their direction. His throw catches Brandon on the sword arm and he barks triumphantly. "Go away!"

Spoiler
    Show

PCs turn, though obviously your movement is limited.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne presses up against the tunnel. "Like a cat cornering a mouse. Will we play with it or just kill it?"

18. - Top - End - #318

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan shuffles back to keep an eye on Creeper, unable to contribute to the melee. "Don't go running off, now."

He readies a bullet into his sling, just in case he gets a clear shot.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Jeanne presses up against the tunnel. "Like a cat cornering a mouse. Will we play with it or just kill it?"
    Brandon muttered over his shoulder to Jeanne, "Are you sure he's the mouse? He doesn't look scared at all of us."

Brandon sounded nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Brandon and Nathros stand side by side, blocking the width of the tunnel. Behind them stands Stefan, Petrillia, Jeanne, Sid, and trailing well behind, Creeper.

Brandon's swipe misses the kobold leader who turns and throws a rock in their direction. His throw catches Brandon on the sword arm and he barks triumphantly. "Go away!"

Spoiler
    Show

PCs turn, though obviously your movement is limited.
    Brandon paused. He looked confused. Instead of continuing to attack, he withdrew a step, drawing in a breath that made his deep chest expand in its armored carapace before he yelled.

"You! Stop that! You're gonna make the cave crash down on us!"

He does not stop Nathros from attacking; he just seems temporarily unwilling to himself attack.

20. - Top - End - #320

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia follows Jeanne's lead and tries to press herself back further against the wall as Stefan shuffles back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    "Like a cat cornering a mouse. Will we play with it or just kill it?"
    Sparing a glance back to see how far away Creeper is, Petrillia whispers, "Aren't you at least a little interested in what it's trying to-"

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    "You! Stop that! You're gonna make the cave crash down on us!"
    Petrilla stopped short and looked around wide-eyed at the tunnel walls and ceiling. No no no fresh air daylight don't trap me down here again please please. Unconciously, she held her breath and waited for the inevitable collapse - of the tunnel or her emotional state, she couldn't say.
    Last edited by sbwilson; 2010-12-29 at 05:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321

TopDog brandishes a small but solid looking dagger and takes a swipe at Nathros that fails to find its mark. "Leave here!" he says petulantly.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon grimaced as TopDog attacked him with a dagger.

"All right, you asked for it, you little turd."

Annoyed that the his overtures to resolve this conflict peacefully were rejected, he resumed slicing at the kobold leader with his sword.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+1)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[3]

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne lets out a long sigh and tries to find an opening to fire an arrow.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[5]
    (1d6)[5]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

"Try to stab me, would you?" Nathros attempts to slash the kobold's leg tendons.

Spoiler
    Show

THAC0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

25. - Top - End - #325

Nathros sweeps out the kobold's legs with his sword, dropping the dogman into a puddle of his own blood, perhaps another moment of life left in him, but not much. He's eyes show surprise but then fall shut.

Spoiler
    Show
    Out of combat
    You remain in a hallway-sized tunnel that terminates in a pile of rocks blocking the entire passageway.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmn, don't know my own strength sometimes; I was just looking to disable the little blighter."

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

"I think he's out, if not dead," Brandon called out to those behind him, who probably could not see effectively.

He wiped clean and sheathed his sword, then drew his dagger. Holding onto the weapon in case TopDog was shamming, he knelt and disarmed the kobold of his dagger and any other equipment or treasure on him.

"Sid, could you ask him what TopDog specifically was looking for? I mean, why was he digging here in the first place?"

28. - Top - End - #328

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Having mostly hopped up and down and switched back and forth between his sword and bow, during the fight, Sid nodded eagerly, then turned to lay an arm on Creeper's shoulder. "Did you see that, buddy? No more worrying about the boss, for you! So, did ya happen to catch wind of what he was digging for?" He rolled his eyes exaggeratedly, then leaned in to whisper, "These guys'll just say that he was digging an escape tunnel, but, naw, your boss was probably out for some hidden treasure, right? That's been lost for ages, yeah? Splitting that just between the two of us is a much better deal than whatever this guy would have given you!"

OOC --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

Detect Deception ---> (1d20)[17] And Sid probably doesn't really believe what he's saying. He's just talking words casually, hoping that Creeper will do the same.

- Myself

29. - Top - End - #329

Following well-behind even the rear-guard, Creeper gathers the idea that TopDog is dead, but doesn't really see it happen. He responds quickly to his new friend, however, seemingly eager to be helpful.

"Out and stuff," he responds, earnestly as far as Sid can tell. "We came in that way and hid our stuff up there," he shakes his head and then pulls back toward the mill, "but out is this way."
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #330

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan kneels near the fallen kobold. "Well, he'll be dead soon, anyway. I've seen men hurt like this before... it - he doesn't have long." Stefan soundlessly breathes some rites for the dying, mostly by instinct.

"Don't suppose he'd be much of a source of info, anyway..."

"Everyone else alright? Hopefully we're almost done down here."