New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 53 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32843444546474849505152535455565758596061626378 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1561
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

One day, after returning from his excursion into Threshold, Talsarios goes and finds Brandon where he can talk without being overheard. Seeing the young man out of armour and relaxed in his comfortable home, and thinking back to the times he overcame obvious fear to fight on in the keep, he's come to understand - or at least believe he understands - the man's hidden virtues.

"Brandon," the Thyatian begins, "I really appreciate you allowing me to stay here with you and your family. I've been able to stop and think and consider my options for the first time since - " (Talsarios glances briefly away to see who might be in ear-shot) " - since my party's misfortune. So I believe I'd rather like to explore the world further, turning my studies to more practical ends - and find whatever fortune I might gain by doing so." He smiles, a little sadly at first, then with a nod, his determination wins through.
    "So, what do you plan to do next? Are you obliged to wait on Lord Bost's commands, or shall we seek out our own adventure?"

2. - Top - End - #1562
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon has been eating and drinking quite a bit since he got home. In just two days he puts back all the weight he lost during his adventuring, from traveling, fighting, and blood loss. He's back to being a bit pudgy.

"Sure," the young man says noncommittally.

"I just hope you aren't planning on going unreasonable again like you did after your friend died. I still can't believe we survived all that."

"I could go off and adventure on my own, but what if Lord Bost needs me in the interim? It's not going to be easy to find me in the wild."

3. - Top - End - #1563
    Ogre in the Playground

"Unreasonable?" Talsarios exclaims. "I think not. Listen, our best chance in there was to press the attack during daylight. Goblins hate the sun. Picking off a few and retreating was only making us vulnerable - we're mostly night-blind in camp, and they see in the dark and are stealthy, especially bugbears...
    "Of course, I'm sorry if I pushed you a little too hard, but it was for the best. You're braver and tougher than you think, Brandon."

From the certain and somewhat patronising look on his face as he pats the fighter on the shoulder, Talsarios seems to think he's giving sage advice and expounding infallible wisdom.

"So, shall we find the others and see what they're planning, and if Lord Bost has anything for us to do, then?" he asks, as if there was no doubt.

4. - Top - End - #1564
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks faintly exasperated.

"Daylight? I don't know if you noticed, but we were -indoors-."

"In any case, I don't like being forced to choose between suicidal charges and looking like a coward by abandoning my companions to their folly."

"Now. I want your promise, your vow to the Immortals, that you will never again try to convince anyone else to go into battle with poor odds unless you YOURSELF lead from the front."

Brandon's voice is soft and his tone is mild but his eyes are cold as he stares expectantly at Talsarios.

5. - Top - End - #1565
    Ogre in the Playground

"Suicidal?" Talsarios appears incensed. His face flushes as he jabs an accusatory finger at his host with a hiss: "No-one died but my man Gregoras - and he was a half-starved weakling with no more than a leather jerkin to keep him safe, while you, sir, are wont to clank about in a suit of mail with half my own mass on you in fatty padding! Gods save us from your prudence and caution, Brandon!"
    He half pulls the longsword from his scabbard and points to it. "You dare question my bravery! Did I not get into the fore of the fight? Is there no goblin blood on this blade? Am I not a quarter of your size, and bereft of armour or training?
    "If your price to do your duty by your allies is my own peril, have no doubt I will pay it, that you must know! But if you press this point then I shall never trust my judgement of a man's honour again, and perhaps it would be best I take my leave to go sleep in the street."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Just to be clear, Talsarios is mad with Brandon questioning his judgement: I have no issue with Frivolous.

6. - Top - End - #1566
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon glances down at the half-drawn sword with contempt. He hisses, keeping his voice down.

"Not your bravery, sir, just your sense and ability to assess risk. And once again you show a real dearth of it."

"Not only do you want to slay goblins without resting, when we were all half-dead, but you also play at drawing steel here? Are you insane? You must keep your brains in your scabbard."

"And the only reason why I didn't join Gregorias in death is that Stefan got to me in time and stanched my wounds. It is only by his quickness and the grace of the Immortals that I survived the battles after, and I have no wish to test their forbearance again anytime soon."

He takes a step forward, not seeming intimidated at all.

"Now sheath that sword completely and go apologize to my mother, the mistress of this house."

7. - Top - End - #1567
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? You think I'm threatening you?" Talsarios drops the blade back into its scabbard with a click, and bares his teeth haughtily. "If I wanted to threaten you I would not reach for steel!"
    Suddenly calmer - or at least mastering his flash of anger - he steps back. "I am sorry. You were wounded when I pressed for action. I forgot. I will apologise to your mother, present my guest gift and be on my way." By the time his sentence is finished, his voice is shaking - but with remorse, or fear, or anger?
    He nods a short and slightly cringing bow, and turns to go.

8. - Top - End - #1568
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon frowns thoughtfully at Talsarios' back. If he had not meant to threaten, then why did he pull at his sword when angry?

Curious. He shrugs, pops another tart into his mouth, and chews as he ponders what more to do.

9. - Top - End - #1569
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Nathros," the young scout says, "I don't have much money. Are you staying someplace that doesn't cost much? Do you mind if I tag along with you? I don't have anyone to visit, and can't buy anything, so I don't have anything else to do for now. I hope Lord Bost calls us back with a new job soon, otherwise I'll need to go back to the lumber camp and sleep there at night."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

10. - Top - End - #1570
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Those visiting the Bor farm will find it to be a large and successful-looking operation with many workers in the fields, a large well-kept homestead, and several out-buildings, including a barn, worker-house, and guest-house.

Workers will wave to Brandon and any other members of the Bor family when they pass, but won't interrupt their work to approach. Unaccompanied strangers will find the workers drift in their direction, as if prepared for trouble, but no one will approach them unless they approach a building uninvited.

It seems likely that someone heard the exchange between Brandon and Talsarios, but if so, no one rushes to investigate.

---
    In town, spirits are are high and business seems good. Yarthmont has passed into Klarmont, and spring into summer. The days are noticeably warmer and the sun seemingly brighter.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

11. - Top - End - #1571
    Titan in the Playground

"It is not expensive, as long as you keep an eye on your purse. Weather is getting warmer so less need to pay for fuel for the hearth as well. Your company would be welcome, though likely our stay will be brief enough."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #1572
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

In the mean time, Ash has been finding her way, getting a little more acquainted with the town of Threshold. She has paid for her lodging for a few nights at one of the local inns and occasionally indulged in a little alcohol as she listens to the goings on of the chatty customers and any local talent that may be performing.

She keeps mostly to herself, however, and does not engage in conversation when it is unnecessary. Though she would be interested if she saw a fellow swordsman and she would also offer them a small sparring match if they were so inclined.

Should she bump into one of the riders from the east, she may also offer them a drink and feel out whether they'd be interested in a crossing of wooden swords or something.

If she sees one of her group from her mission at the keep, she'll hail them and see how they fair. Perhaps she'd bump into Mycah and Nathros.

If nothing interesting is happening for a couple weeks, she'll seek out her uncle and see if he has need of her for anything or if he's heard of anything she may pursue with her skills. She feels she's not yet done anything noteworthy to earn the respect among her peers back home as a warrior.
    She generally appears bored or observant when seen around town.

13. - Top - End - #1573
    Ogre in the Playground

After leaving the Bor household in something approaching shame, a miserable Talsarios finds himself sleeping rough nights in his camping gear in hedges on the outskirts of town, and wandering aimlessly around the town by day in a self-pitying gloom.
    He half hopes and half dreads a glimpse of one of his adventuring companions. His money runs low and his provisions are poor.

14. - Top - End - #1574
    Ogre in the Playground

ASHALA

With the fifty gold her uncle gave her for her journey and troubles, Ash finds it easy to afford the most basic of necessities around town, like a place to sleep and a light meal a couple times a day. She also choses to finish off her rations while in town to save a little money on food. Her armor is donned as usual, but she doesn't keep her helmet on so much in town anymore, just in her pack. Perhaps she found someone to challenge in a friendly duel on the outskirts of town.

One day during her wanderings, she spies Talsarios and his camp at the edge of town. She quarks her head, narrows her eyes and grins a little as she approaches this odd sight.

"Talsarios? If I'm not mistaken. What are you doing out here?" Her voice is soft and low when she speaks. Her freckled cheeks and golden-bronze bob-cut stand out against the contrast of her steel armor.

She eyes his general attitude before he sees and recognizes her. Her expression changes to that of concern.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-04-13 at 09:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1575
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor Talsarios

"What? Eh?" Talsarios turns his attention abruptly away from the spitted rabbit he is inexpertly roasting over his camp fire, with a slightly guilty start before he shrugs away the question: "Oh, I'm living off the land for a bit - you know, catching coneys, that sort of thing. One must keep one's skills practised, you know."
    The scholar stands up straight and dusts himself off a little with what he evidently hopes is a winning smile. "Lovely to see you, Ash. How do you do? Care for a nibble? It's heartier than it might look."

16. - Top - End - #1576
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash smiles as she narrows her eyes. She seems to accept his excuse, for now. She nods in response to his hospitality and sits on a big rock or a log, bracing herself with her legs. She looks relaxed as anyone might in plate mail on a log.

"Healthy, so long as you still get your water and fat. You can starve on these things, you know?" She smirks as she casually grills Talsarios, though she looks happy to have a little familiar company.

"And I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. Not much to do 'round town with out a mission, hm?"
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-04-18 at 09:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1577
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastor Talsarios

"Well, to be frank, I put all my money into my expedition, and now I find myself ... skint," the scholar says, with a sad smile. "I can hunt relatively well, but I suspect someone would lay claim to the bigger game around these parts, so I've resigned myself to rabbits."
    Talsarios pokes at the little fire while Ash talks. He seems quite out of place, camping in the corner of a remote farm field, despite having serviceable equipment for exactly that task. Somehow the air of libraries hangs about him even more in this setting.
    "So you live from job to job? I would have thought - pardon me for presuming - that a noble lady such as yourself would find plenty of diversions aside from hunting goblins and bandits... Or is Threshold too coarse a town for a social scene?"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-04-14 at 11:18 AM. Reason: grammar!

18. - Top - End - #1578

Lord Bost's runner, recognizable by the now familiar green vest, delivers a new round of notes. He makes his round early in the morning, starting with those in the town proper and heading outward toward the outskirts to locate any stragglers.

The runner has no idea what the note says or what Lord Bost may want. He begs off quickly and true to his title, runs off, presumably to deliver the next note.

The note is neatly lettered on rough paper and stamped with Bost's green tree symbol. True to form, the note states only:

If you are interested in further employment, please join me at sunrise tomorrow at my manor. ~Lord Bost
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #1579
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios watches the runner leaving, wondering how such a courier finds their messages' recipients. He opens the letter, flipping the paper over to see if there is more on the back.
    "Very brief, but succinct, I suppose," he mutters. "So - I have a summons to the court of Lord Bost."

20. - Top - End - #1580
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon says goodbye again to his family and smiles as he travels once again to Lord Bost's home. He seems more confident than he was the last time he left the Bor manor. He has experience now. He is no longer a rookie.

Brandon also smells faintly of oil since the dozen flasks he carries are not corked too well.

21. - Top - End - #1581
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros purchases plated mail armour (60 GP). He then enjoys one last evening in the tavern with Mycah (if he is still keeping his company) before heading off in the morning to discover what adventure awaits at the behest of Lord Bost.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

22. - Top - End - #1582
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash listens to Talsarios' explanation attentively and replies, " ' shame."

When he brings up her status, her gaze and head turn away from him to the fire semi-abruptly. To herself, she smirks and grunts softly at his words, but then smiles to reply, "I apologize if I don't meet the expectations of what a noble should be around here. Perhaps I'm of a different cloth. In any case, I prefer to wade my way through battle over a cup of tea and a room full of aristocrats. Though it would be a title a long way off to earn, I'd prefer the path of the Knight. To be respected among one's peers, one must not lord superiority over them based on a silly title given for their blood or family relations... Well, that is my opinion. I'm sure my uncle doesn't mind my take. Back home, I would be respected for gaining battle prowess -"

When Ash sees movement out of the corner of her eye, her hand is on her sword at her side before she notes the green vested person to be of no threat. She stays her hand and watches Talsarios as he reads the brief note of summoning.

When he's finished and spoken, she replies, "Hnmh, looks like things are going to pick up after all." A small grin spreads across her face and a glimmer of excitement sparks within her eyes.

"Perhaps I'll see you in the morrow then." With that, she picks up her pack and things and will set off back into town with a wave.

23. - Top - End - #1583

The morning is gray and sprinkles of rain are enough make most townsfolk a bit glum, but not enough to keep them from their appointed rounds. The path from town to Lord Bost's manor south of town is a bit muddy but otherwise passable.

Bost's house matron stands at the open door to usher the expected individuals in out of the rain. The room looks much as the heroes left it a little over a fortnight ago, save for the stunning blonde woman sitting to Lord Bost's right hand. Threshold residents will recognize her as Aleena, the daughter of the town's leader, Patriarch Sherlaine Halaran.

Bost waves in his guests with some warmth, but careful observers will notice his genuine cheer seems to be missing.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #1584
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros lets his companions take the lead, and tries to keep his gaze averted from the Patriarch's daughter!

25. - Top - End - #1585
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah wraps up his business in town, such as it was, and spends one last evening of peace with Nathros in the comfort of their inn. Come morning he packs his meager belongings and returns to Lord Bost's manor to reunite with his friends.

At the manor, he thanks the matron for her courtesy before joining the others. Picking up on the underlying tension and quietly wishes them a good morning and waits to see what Bost has to say.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

26. - Top - End - #1586
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash picks up a few more burning oil flasks and another weeks worth of rations on her way to the manor this morning.

At the manor, she'll join her comrades at a chair around the table after nodding respectfully toward her uncle and the important looking woman.

27. - Top - End - #1587

Bost barely waits for the last of his hirelings to sit before slowly rising to address the group.

"The keep in the eastern woods is turning out to be a tremendous asset. Thank you for again securing it for me. The riders you brought back sold me some interesting information regarding the area, apparently gleaned from the goblins you flushed out for them, and I'd like to send you back there to investigate." He offers a tense inhalation and slight sigh before continuing.

"However, as you may have heard,"
    he says overestimating the political connection of the assembled or perhaps just being charitable, "the Baron's council has some concerns about a development west of town. A new expansion to the west, beyond even the existing farms, has run into some trouble. Apparently, my praise of your work out at the old mill did not go unnoticed and the council has asked me to employ you to investigate.

I will offer you the same payment as before, but at least this effort requires far less travel. Lady Aleena Halaran of the Church has come to convey a couple messages to you regarding the task."

He gestures to her politely before sitting down.

She rises to address the group. Aleena is a classic Thyatian beauty, long blonde hair, big blue eyes, and an attractive figure more highlighted than hidden by her custom-fit armor. She is well-dressed in the style of a traveling cleric, albeit a colorful one. She speaks with quiet authority and lack of any presumption.

"Threshold would appreciate your help. Lord Bost will compensate you well, and his standing will only rise upon your success. Already the halls of power buzz with talk of the new mill, Bost's new eastern acquisition, and his ambitious young rangers.

To be brief, during the building of a new lookout tower in the hills west of town, the workers encountered a cavern. Two entered to investigate its depth and determine the stability of the land. They did not return. We hold out some hope for their return. We would like you to see if they yet live and retrieve them or give them their proper final rites. Also, as you did with the mill, so I've heard, we would like you clear the place out and make it safe to excavate or perhaps use.

Your companion Stefan is involved in his rites to become an Adept, so he will not be able to join you. Another Adept of the Church has been sent out the site to join and assist you. Miss Nightengale will greet you there."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-04-19 at 04:43 PM.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #1588
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna Nightengale paces anxiously in front of the cavern. She can barely contain herself for excitement.
    A real adventure! I can't believe it! My dream is finally coming true! I just hope those poor workers are OK...
    As the hours wear by, concerns begin to gnaw on the edges of her mind.
    Will they like me? I'm so unexperienced, they're sure to notice! And I'm sure they'll notice that I'm not the brightest... Will they make fun of me? Maybe adventuring isn't what I was cut out for... Should I have stayed at the church? I'm not that good with my slingshot yet...
    These types of thoughts chase each other around her mind, unwilling to let the other be: optimism tries to chase pessimism away, but doubt wears away at hope just as strongly.
    She's just starting into the "fear" part of her cycle when she spots distant figures far away. She can't count them, or tell who they are, but she convinces herself that they must be the group that she'll soon join...
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1589
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sighs and mutters quietly, "Great. More underground work. More reasons to be claustrophobic."

But he smiles broadly and nods agreeably to his Lord. "Of course I accept the mission, Lord Bost."

He also nods to the Lady Alanna. They'd gone to some of the same parties. He doesn't speak to her yet, though.

30. - Top - End - #1590
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros nods his assent and adds, "A pleasure to serve, as always; my skills and sword arm are ever at your disposal. We will soon root out the source of your troubles in the west and put them to an end."