New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 84 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Old Ways IC

In the booming border town of Threshold, the twenty-third day of Yarthmont began much like every other day in this last month of spring. In Old Town, situated on a small island in the Windrush River, the city's poorer residents awaken and some of the town's more questionable enterprises fade into the final bits of pre-dawn darkness. West across the twin bridges lies the rest of town, with its well-spaced homes and buildings, full markets, any many and sundry shops. Threshold comes quickly and eagerly to life and why shouldn't it? It was growing and expanding, drawing resources from the vast surrounding woods, large lake to the north, and even an occasional mine in the nearby hills.

On the east side of town, caravels begin the journey downriver to Kelvin and the Capital, Specularum and dockhands start loading the next vessel. Nearby, merchants unpack their wares drawn from as far south as the Capital and from as far north as the Cruth Mountains. On the far north side of town, fisherman were up early to troll Lake Windrush. Across the river, a logging camp is already in full swing as loggers have loaded carts with axes, saws, and hooks, and they are head out for the eastern woods.

Just as you are getting your own day underway, you receive a small scrap of parchment. Pressed into a palm by a scurrying peasant boy, slipped under an inn-room door, placed before you as you finish your morning prayers. The note is neatly lettered and stamped with a green tree symbol. You have been summoned by perhaps the second most powerful man in town.

I have need of your services and offer a rare opportunity. Please join me at noon at my manor. ~Lord Bost
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-09-25 at 04:11 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid had been up late last night and normally slept in, so as to avoid interacting with his father, before the guy headed out to his town guard job. This morning, though, his mother persistently knocked at his door, until he got up, grumbling. He came out and dragged himself to the kitchen table, glaring about and mumbling sleepily. "What, ma? Can't I get some sleep, once in a while? No? What - "

He woke up, when he noticed her concerned look, then glanced around, to see if his father was home. He wasn't. "Okay, what'd I do, now?"

His mother sighed and extended the parchment. "I was hoping that you could tell me. Someone came to our door this morning and told me to give that to you. Now, I know that you don't want us to worry, but if you need our help with anything, you need to tell us, son."

Sid snatched the note and pored over it for a bit. When he finished, he didn't look any more sure of himself. "Uh, to tell the truth, I don't know what this is about. Huh. It could be a trick. One of my buddies, messing with me. I don't know. I'll, uh, let you know."

With a shrug, he forgot about it long enough to get something to eat out of his mother, then he grabbed his stuff and bolted off, eager to be at the manor by noon. On his way, he stopped off by his friend Brandon's farm, hoping that the guy would know something about Lord Bost that he didn't. And, if he only knew what everyone else did, he could at least impress him!

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope.

Although this isn't one of the skills from the book, here's a Gather Information roll ---> [roll0] Attempting to learn about this Lord Bost guy, in general, I suppose, if I can, on the way to Brandon's place. Sid has a Charisma of 10.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmmnn." Nathros regards the note suspiciously for a moment, satisfied as to its authenticity he hoists his gear and makes his way towards the residence of Lord Bost.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Ever since he left home and took a room at the Giant's Helmet a day earlier, living by himself for the first time, Brandon had been muttering to himself.

"Sir Brandon. Sir Bor. Sir Brandon Bor. All rise for Sir Bor, Giantslayer."

While normally a sober and serious young man, Brandon felt positively giddy at his new independence. He even dreamed of his impending Lordship. Thus, the stout young man tended to strut, although that produced an odd jangling sound when he wore his armor.

Then the note came and Brandon puffed out his stocky chest even more, humming, "I am invited to Lord Bost's manor. I am invited to Lord Bost's manor. Why, even Mum and Dad doesn't go that often, just for parties. I am invited to Lord Bost's manor..."

Then he packed up all his belongings, including his armor, and put on his best clothes. Then he charmed himself a seat on a wagon leading to the Bost estate.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan had a long day ahead of him. Textbook studies, theological discussions, weapon training, and of course the more menial tasks needed to keep the church running. But for now he was deep in prayers to Petra as he was every morning. It was his favorite part of the day, probably because it was also the easiest. Still, sitting in silence, meditating on Petra's teachings, he felt her presence directly somehow - so much more real than all the reading of musty old tomes and long-winded discussions of the subtle intricacies of theology.

Opening his eyes, he looked up at the peasant boy in front of him. Yes?, he asked the youngling with a bittersweet smile on his face - a few months ago, this could as well have been him, running small errands to earn a little extra. A've got this for ya, he says, handing Stefan the note. Puzzled at who might send him, a mere acolyte, anything, much less this official looking parchment, Stefan still takes time to thank the boy and give him a silver piece before he opens the scroll.

Shortly after, Stefan knocks on the door of Erica, the middle-aged priestess assigned to him as a mentor. Ma'm, Elder Erica?, he asks as she opens, I... received this just now he says pointing to the words on the parchment. Lord Bost has summoned me, but surely I don't have time for this. I have my exegesis class and..., he shudders, latrine duty to attend to. Giving him a stern look, the battle-hardened woman re-reads the scroll. You are free to go attend this, she says after a moment of thought, much to Stefan's delight. Lord Bost is a good man, and it is about time you learn about your true duties as a cleric of Petra. The smile on Stefan's face stiffens. Surely you don't mean... Yes, Stefan, it is about time you learn the hardships of combat. Only through battle may our Lady triumph in the struggle against evil. Stefan swallows, scared at the thought of having to meet the enemies of Petra face to face. Fear not, Stefan. Petra will give you courage, she says in a milder tone. Take your time, don your armor, ready your mace and go see his lordship. You're a good boy, Stefan. You'll do fine.

Thus, summoning up all his courage, the youngest son of the Reinhart family leaves for the Bost estate to meet his destiny.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-09-26 at 10:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Upon learning that Brandon had moved to the Giant's Helmet, Sid thanked the guy's parents and assured them that he'd convey their love to him, when he saw him. Outside ---> "Not here, huh? Argh! I don't want to be late for this meeting thing. I'll just have to track him down, later, and brag." He sighed, then shrugged, "Man, poor Stefan, just stuck at the church. I should have stopped there. Ah, but I guess I won't mention this to him, yet. Huh. Well, I don't even know what this is about yet. It might not be good."

He mused and argued with himself, probably bumping into several people, on the way. "This guy wouldn't ask for me. The town guard would just show up. But I haven't even done anything bad enough to get a guy like this mad at me. He can't think that I'd be the best man for some job he wants done. There are tons of thieves better than me. Uh, for now... Yeah, one of them is probably just trying to embarrass me." On the way, he eventually talked himself into believing that the only thing the guy could want him for would be to steal his mother's box of secret family recipes.

Once there, he attempted to casually scope the place out, just strolling around the perimeter. Upon completing a circuit, he attempted to hide behind a tree as close as he could get to the gate. "I'll just wait here, until noon. Maybe see something interesting."

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show

Mostly just for fun, here is a Hide In Shadows roll ---> (1d100)[23] He has a Dexterity of 14 and the skill Stealth (Urban), but, reading the description of Hide In Shadows, it doesn't look as if either of those things would affect this. oh well. I don't expect him to succeed, anyways.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

7. - Top - End - #7

There is little of interest south of town - just a well-trod trail leading south along the Windrush river. The trail takes the easiest path along the river, tracing its western shore, and after a short morning walk it passes by a large wooden fort set on the highest hill around. Known as the Bost Manor, it was really more of a fort, compete with four corner towers and a strong-looking gate and door. The door faces east, toward the river, and looks out over a pair of river boats moored on the riverbank below.

Sid arrives early and finds an out of the way hiding place in a small stand of brush. No movement can be seen at the manor, but others do seem to be headed up the trail behind him.
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The wagon Brandon is riding in stops briefly near the gate to the Bost manor. Brandon smiles and thanks the driver as he lowers his armor and gear onto some grass, thus avoiding the mud of the road.

Then he continues an argument he'd been silently having with himself, only now out loud since no one is present to overhear (or so he thinks).

"Armor or no armor? Armor is more manly, hehe, but maybe this isn't something that you wear armor to. Mum never wears her armor to social events, but maybe that's just because she's too fat."

"Maybe at least wear the sword? But if he has guards, they'd probably demand that I leave the sword with them anyway."

Eventually, Brandon puts on his swordbelt and his sword and dagger. He stops by a small pool of rainwater and studies his reflection, then declares himself a superb specimen of Thyatian manhood.

Grinning, he hoists up his armor and gear and walks the short distance to the gate, where he knocks or rings the bell or calls the attention of the guard.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-09-27 at 11:09 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros ambles up the road, and upon sighting Brandon at the gate addresses him, "Good morning. I imagine it is no coincidence to find you here today. Received a note this morning did you?"
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-09-28 at 01:36 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The burly young man looked to one side and down at the dwarf. He blinked a little but smiled a nice smile, his smooth, recently shaven cheeks still a little round with puppy fat.

"Good day." His tenor voice was soft and light despite his deep chest, and he spoke with the twang of the local farmers.

"I've never been here before, but yes, I got a note." Brandon waved it between two fingers like a prize-winning ticket. For all that he wore a sword, he seemed cheerful and generally happy.

"My name is Brandon. Brandon Bor." He offered his left hand.

11. - Top - End - #11

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid started at the sight of Brandon showing up. But why would they need him to help retrieve ma's recipe box? I can handle that by myself! While Brandon is debating with himself ---> Why'd he bring all that stuff, anyway? To impress them? She's just an old lady, Brandon! When Nathros shows up ---> What!? Maybe we aren't here just for ma's recipes! Huh. Unless it's got some really good traps that I just never noticed... Wonder who else'll show up? He doubted that he'd be able to learn what this was all about, just by watching these two get invited into the manor, but he figured that he'd at least wait and see if these invitations all turned out to be a joke.

- Myself

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming Nathros has never met Brandon before, he shakes his extended hand and says, "Pleased to meet you." If Sid eventually reveals himself, he also addresses him, "Ah, another stalwart brought here on the same errand, no doubt. Glad to have you.

"I wonder how long they are going to keep us waiting out here?" Nathros strokes his beard in contemplation.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

As the others meet, the sounds of awkwardly clinking armor is heard from up the road. A figure in full plate armor, loaded with a mace and a full backpack closes in less than gracefully. Eyeing the others, he tilts his head to the side for a moment, then lifts the visor showing his face. Brandon?, he says as if unsure about remembering the name correctly. Is that you?
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-09-29 at 05:31 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon turned and raised his hand, waving greeting. The young man caroled, "Reinhardt! What're you doing here?"

"And why are you in full armor? Clanky stuff, armor. Mum says with practice you can even learn to dance in it, but I dunno how. Dancin' is hard enough even without armor, and you can break someone's toes if you step on 'em."

Brandon frowned. "Don't tell me you walked all the way from town in that getup. That's crazy."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne finishes selling the last bit of squirrel meat and raccoon pelt she trapped in the past months, palming the only gold piece she has left to her name after buying a sturdy set of armor. Returning to her camp site on the outskirts of town, her keen elven eyes immediately spot an out of place letter. "Bost Manor... Bost Manor." She mulls it over to herself, making note of the sturdy fort not far from camp and the odd stranger heading in that direction.

Ever curious about humans and their ways, Jeanne straps on her plate mail and heads towards the manor.

16. - Top - End - #16

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

At the sight of Stefan approaching, Sid popped up and waved a greeting. "Hey, Stefan! Ha! And I was thinking that someone was trying to put one over on me!" He smirked at Nathros's greeting, and snorted, "Something like that." He stuck a hand out for shaking. "Sid Aimes. I know these guys, but not you or Lord Bost." The handshake, if given, would have been all about sizing Nathros up, as Sid gave the Dwarf an appraising eye. He then turned to ask the group in general ---> "So, I guess we all got the same note? I'm pretty sure that I've worked out why we're here, and I gotta say, I had no idea that Ma was so serious about her recipes."

- Myself

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon nodded amiably to Sid when he popped up. "Aimes. How're you doing?"

He made no mention of the sudden appearance; he was used to Sid hiding in small and unusual places since childhood.

Brandon scowled, though, when Sid also mentioned a note. "Darn it, I thought I was special for getting a note."

In frustration, he grabbed a nearby, ugly wildflower and crushed it in his thick strong fingers, then examined the azure stain the petals had left on his flesh. "Hmm..."

Brandon then grabbed another wildflower and crushed it as well, then kept looking at his blue fingers.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid "Blech!"ed at the crushed flowers, then placed a hand on Brandon's shoulder. "You okay? Hey, don't be greedy! Why can't we all get called by some lord, huh? Be happy for us!" Whispered ---> "Especially Stefan. He doesn't look too happy, right now."

- Myself

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne
    Jeanne looks over the strange group, mentally filing away their quirks and mannerisms. "Sid Aimes, scoundrel and lawman's son... how does the human phrase go? 'As honest as the preacher's son?' Oh, cruel irony."

"Brandon Bor. Stereotypical human. Strong, simpleton, and unnecessarily violent. Attractive. Could be a real gentleman with proper training."

"Stefan Reinhardt. Simple and physically average. Pretty eyes. Why do humans hide beauty behind steel masks? Elven armor accentuates beauty, not obscure it."

"Nathros. Dwarf. Poor, strong, smells like dirt. Dwarf."

Jeanne approaches Brandon with a sour look on her face. "Did the flower offend you, sir? Flowers should be appreciated not asphyxiated."

Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Jeanne "by the River" as she calls herself is an elven woman who lives in a simple camp near the edge of Threshold. She's broader and stronger than the average elf but otherwise unremarkable in appearance for her race (which, by proxy of being an elf, is still quite pleasing to those who enjoy fair features and pointed ears). She keeps her auburn hair short cropped and speaks little, preferring to listen and watch with her piercing green eyes.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2010-09-30 at 12:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

The young man seemed to be only half-listening to Sid. "Of course Reinhardt isn't happy. He walked here in armor. He's probably really sweaty."

Brandon looks up at the unfamiliar and sweet tones of a female elf's voice. He stares for a few moments at Jeanne, but apparently the flower is more interesting than the woman, for soon he is again looking at his fingers.

"It's the color. I didn't know this flower had blue juice inside."

"I could maybe get a blue ink out of it. Did you know you can paint with inks with a base of water, not oil? I've heard it takes longer to dry, but it also doesn't stink."

Brandon sniffs his fingers. "See? No smell other than normal plant." He holds out his fingers for Sid, or anyone else, to smell.

21. - Top - End - #21

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

At Jeanne's approach, Sid slid back to allow the more socially adept to interact with her. What else is going to show up, out here?

He scanned the road again, didn't see anyone, then his gaze landed on the manor's gate. He sniffed distractedly at Brandon's fingers while pointing at the gate. "Uh, huh. Who cares? Hey, what's taking these guys so long? Maybe his door guy's taking a break? Do you think he'd be mad if we just let ourselves in?"

Bored and not wanting to miss out on whatever opportunity this Lord Bost is apparently pulling names out of a hat to choose participants for, Sid approached the gate. He'd be looking through it for someone approaching, if possible, seeing if it's unlocked, if no one is visible, reaching for an appropriate lockpicking tool, if it's locked, stuff like that.

- Myself

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

I wanted to look my best!, Stefan replies to Brandon's snarky armor remark. The Sid shows up, and Stefan lightens up considerably. Sid! Long time, no see, man! How have you been doing?

Afer taking a bit of time to catch up, the young cleric looks around at the assembled crowd. He takes his time to greet and shake hands with everyone who wants to, particularly the elven woman, to whom he is extra polite. So we've all received similar notes, I suppose. Interesting. Something important must be up.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-09-30 at 03:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Brandon's ringing of the door has summoned someone. A short, sturdy woman, with probably three decades behind her, pushes open the door, forcing anyone in front of it to step back. She seemed dressed in a conservative, but informal manner, a long brown skirt covering most of her legs and a simple cream blouse. To those familiar with that part of the world, her long blonde hair in braids, dress, and general appearance mark her as a northerner or a descendant of one.

"Please, enter," she offers, ushering folks into the dark hallway beyond with one waving hand while still holding the door open with the other. "All of you, please, he's expecting you."

The interior of the fort is dark, illuminated by sunlight from various high-set windows, though the occasional scone bears a presently unlit torch. Beyond the narrow entryway is a short hallway with an oversized door on either side, and beyond that lies a large hall reminiscent of the halls of the northern jarls of faraway Osterland. A massive wooden table runs perpendicular to the entryway and at the far end sits two figures, one of them clearly Lord Bost, a tall, broad-shouldered man with coppery red hair, a full beard, and a broad smile. He sits at the head of the long table, and looks up from a side conversation with the smaller Traladaran man to his right, an employee of sometime judging by his livery.

"Welcome, all of you sit, please. Thank you for coming." He stands to greet his guests. "I am Lord Jokkum Bost," he says warmly, pronouncing it as Yokum Boast, "and I look forward to meeting you all."
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Here we go, then." Following the woman into the hall beyond, and being addressed by Lord Bost, Nathros returns his greeting and politely bows. "Glad to make your acquaintance. Nathros of Ironspire at your service, I am sure."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-09-30 at 08:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

In future years, Brandon might gain polish and expertise in social interactions, but for now, the 17-year-old man looks nervous and a bit clumsy as he bows.

"Brandon, son of Boris and Natasha Bor, Your Honor."

Then he trips over his sword and stumbles. He catches himself and straightens, but his face is now scarlet.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne is annoyed by the man's rough accent. She hesitates for a moment, trying to think of an appropriate human greeting for his nationality. She eventually rushes up to Bost, claps him on the back, and yells "Hail, friend! My name is Jeanne!" in the same stiff manner as someone reading directly from a translation guide.

27. - Top - End - #27

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid grinned and shrugged his shoulders at Stefan's greeting, then "Hup!"ed, as he jumped away from the opening door. He grinned and nodded at the lady that led them.

He found himself steadily moving towards the back of the group, though, as they made their way through the manor, since, along the way, he'd stop to agonize over the many things that he'd probably never get a chance to steal.

In the hall, Sid "Ulp!"ed and kept his gaze trained on the floor, being suitably impressed by Bost and his manor. At Jeanne's introduction, though, he tried but failed to hold back a burst of laughter. Having called attention to himself, he bobbed his head apologetically and muttered, "Heh. Sorry, sir."

Get a hold of yourself, Sid! Uh, show him you're ready for anything! He then cleared his throat, straightened up, hooded his eyes, and stiffly took a seat. "I'm Aimes. Sid Aimes. But you should know who we are. You invited us." He scanned the room appraisingly, then crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair. "Nice place." His attempt at being casual might have convinced, if he didn't then give a hiccup brought on by nervousness.

- Myself

28. - Top - End - #28

Bost is a plainly a bit taken aback by Jeanne's greeting. He had expected a more reserved introduction. He shrugged, clasping her firmly on the shoulder, "Well, met, and thank you for coming. Please have a seat."

He glances to his right-hand man, a questioning look that flickers across his face before he returns his attention to the gather would-be adventurers.

"I have my eye on you for a while. In fact, Enok here has been keeping track of your progress for some time now. He tells me that you are some of the most promising local talent."

Lord Bost smiles and looks at each of you carefully as if matching your faces to descriptions he's received.

"I'm told that some of you already know each other, the rest of you can become acquainted on the trip - assuming you're interested in the opportunity.

As most of you probably know, I'm a lumberman here in town. My men and I search the surrounding areas to look for interesting trees or overgrown areas. We move a lot of lumber, most of it down river, but send some into surrounding areas. And a fair bit of it stays here in booming Threshold.

That's where the problem comes in, and where I'm hoping you can help me. There are two mills in town, neither of them working right now. The mill on the northern tip of Fogor Isle, or what some folk call "Old Town" burned to the ground last month. It's too small a site and in a bad area anyway, but it's left us without out a mill.

The other mill is much older; it hasn't been used since the earliest days of the Duchy, but it's in a prime location and the basic structure seems sounds. So I sent a few men into clean it up and rebuilt the thing.

He then pauses, winces, and rubs his forehead pensively with one hand.

As the men opened the door to the basement, they saw three glowing lights and heard something like the chattering of teeth. They bolted and won't go back, which is where you come in. I'd like you to clear out whatever's in my old mine so that I can get it rebuilt. I need to be able to send my builders and craftsman in without putting them in danger.

I like to offer work to promising local talent, and my organization is prime to expand. You folks'll make a fine team, I think.

It's dangerous work, I know, so don't let my Lordship suggest that this is an order. It's a request all the way. If you've got other things you need to do, I understand,"
    he adds with a slight wink.

"If you're interested, you can take my raft across and get started right away. I'll pay you 50 gold a person, and you can keep whatever you find with one exception. Anything lumber, mill, or trade related stays in the mill or comes to me. That includes tools, ledgers, and anything having to do with the operation of the mill.

What say you?"
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon watched as Jeanne made her greeting. He looked bemused and glanced at the other young men to see if they understand what she did.

He grinned at hearing a powerful and well-liked lord of the land describing himself as a 'lumberman.'

At the finish of Bost's explanation, the short but sturdy young man smiled and stepped forward. His teeth were remarkably even, clean, and complete, though a trifle yellow.

"I'd be happy to volunteer for your mission, sir."

Then he stepped backwards to give the others a chance to talk.

30. - Top - End - #30

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid gulped, when Bost said that he'd been watching them for a while. He eyed Bost and Enok, trying to discern any hidden agendas. He squirmed in his chair as he squinted at them and debated with himself ---> Guys like these always have something to hide.

So what?! This is your big chance, like you said! Take it!

Oh, I'm taking it, alright. I just don't like that this guy has been watching us, and I didn't know about it. Gotta watch out for him.

Fine. Watch out for people who can make you rich. Just don't make him mad.

He shrugged at himself, then rolled his eyes at Brandon's enthusiasm. He nodded and chimed in with, "Me, too! I don't know what's over there, but it sounds like we're the best team for the job." He "Hrm..."ed with consternation, then turned to the others and said brightly, "I don't know if that makes Threshold sound any good, but oh well. How about you guys?"

O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show

A Detect Deception roll ---> (1d20)[4] I haven't seen much reason to worry about anything, yet, but Sid is the sort who'd be suspicious of everyone.

- Myself