New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #361
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Petrillia Ilyanov

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne
    "Simple minds would say the sky was falling if an apple hit them on the head."
    "Indeed-" Petrillia snorted. Then remembering an elvish phrase she once heard, "The root of all superstition is that men observe when a thing hits, but not when it misses."

On seeing Nathros and Brandon disappear into the new tunnel, Petrillia follows, "Oh...is this the way out?" Although she couldn't see the extent of the vast chamber, she could tell something was...different. A brief sense of panic hit. After so long in the confined spaces of the tunnels and caves, such openness made her heart race. The sound of the water far below gave her enough persepective to at least partially grasp the size of the new cavern.
    Last edited by sbwilson; 2011-01-17 at 04:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sheathed his dagger and drew his sword. By the luminescent moss's light, he started looking around for more glowing beetles.

He answered Petrilia in a distracted manner, "We have to try to eliminate the beetles if there are more of them. Can't go back to Lord Bost with the job half finished."

He eyed the lake in a quizzical manner, as if not sure what it was doing there.

He called again in a low voice over his shoulder, "There's a lake down here. Try not to fall into it."

3. - Top - End - #363

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

So they are exterminators, Petrillia thought. Well, I guess I'm stuck being a bug hunter for now. And I was really hoping for a bath...

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros continues to observe the cavern below, conscious of the agitated presence of Brandon and the newly freed Petrillia, and wondering where Sid, Stefan, and Jeanne have gotten to. After a turn or two, he begins looking for the safest way to descend.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne tails the end of the group but voices her concern. "This may be over our heads. I think it wise we rest in the safety of the mill before continuing."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan emerges behind the group and whispers "Whoa!" at sight of the cavern.

"I agree with Petrillia. Can't we board this up or something? We could be down here all night if we continue..."

He looks at the vial. "Oh, and, this definitely isn't anything I've seen before - and I've seen a few potions being used at the Temple. I don't think it has any curative or restorative properties," he concludes. "But then again, dog men potions might be complete different from the potions I've seen. More likely he only stole it though."

"If anyone wants to taste it - that can sometimes work... but I wouldn't recommend it til we get back to Threshold."

7. - Top - End - #367

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia raised her eyebrows and pulls her attention away from the sound of the water at the mention of dogmen potions. I doubt those animals could make potions...they barely knew about fire.

"Those dogmen couldn't boil their way out of a watery rat soup. Here, let me take a look. Chances are it is some pointless, superstitious tonic...Darya certainly made enough of that slop for the locals."

And then, remembering her manners, asks again, "Do you mind if I take a look?"

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

"I take it we're not setting camp? As much as I would love further exploration, we've accomplished much today."

9. - Top - End - #369
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Nathros spots a path down toward the lakeside, more of a ledge really, maybe only a few feet wide. It appears to be the only way off the larger ledge the party stands on, unless one can climb straight up the rock face behind them or straight down the drop off before them. In contrast to the cavern beneath the mill, this large pace appears naturally carved out.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

10. - Top - End - #370

Quote Originally Posted by sbwilson View Post
    Petrillia Ilyanov
    And then, remembering her manners, asks again, "Do you mind if I take a look?"
    "No, not at all. Hopefully you have better luck than me." Stefan smiles and hands the potion to Petrillia.

11. - Top - End - #371

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrilla takes the vial and holds it up in the dim light to get a better look at the cloudy liquid. As she swirls it around, she responds to Jeanne. "I can't say I'm excited to stay another night down here, but a sleep without being chained to a barrel and surrounded by dogmen-" She pauses to spare a glance at Creeper and then continues, "I might be of more help. A clear mind and some time with my book and I should be able to work a bit of magic."

Returning her attention to the vial, Petrilla unstoppers it and gently waves it under her nose to see if there is any smell. She then wets the tip of her finger on the rim of the vial, rubs her finger and thumb together, and then touches her finger to the tip of her tongue.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if the Food Tasting skill will come in handy here, but just in case... (1d20)[10]

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we dwarves do not tire easily, but I am not opposed to postponing our exploration. Perhaps we could use some of those barrels to block up this passage in the meantime?"
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon speaks quietly, trying not to make too many audible echoes that might draw danger to the party.

"I don't think barrels will work, good Nathros. If the beetles can chew their way through earth, surely they can do the same through wood. At best, it would serve as a temporary measure."

14. - Top - End - #374

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan joins the conversation in quiet tones. "Or, I guess we could scout a little bit - maybe this network isn't as big as it looks from here."

"How much of this is above and beyond the mission at hand?"
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-01-20 at 03:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, in that instance at least we would know they had passed through. Makes no odds to me, though." Nathros shrugs.

16. - Top - End - #376

The large cave seems quite still and uninhabited, at least as far as one can see in the shadowy, glowing illumination. At least nothing seems to be coming forward in response to the conversation taking place.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne switches to infravision and peers into the shadowy areas for signs of heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyceios View Post
    Stefan Reinhardt
    "How much of this is above and beyond the mission at hand?"
    Jeanne says in a normal voice "No need hushing yourself, our heavy armor has echoed louder than any voice. We went above and beyond the moment kobolds and a damsel-in-distress came into the picture."

18. - Top - End - #378

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Jeanne says in a normal voice "No need hushing yourself, our heavy armor has echoed louder than any voice. We went above and beyond the moment kobolds and a damsel-in-distress came into the picture."
    Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan starts at Jeanne's volume. He puts his finger to his lips before realising she's right. He blushes and shrugs sheepishly.

To answer her he says, "Well, in that case, I'm fine staying or going. Whatever we think is best."

He's still whispering, out of habit.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne votes to bringing this "case" to a close. "The "ghosts" have been dealt with, there are no obvious signs of additional danger in this new cavern, we can probably squeeze a little more cash for dealing with kobolds who might have posed a threat, and we rescued a fair damsel in distress. If need be we can request to further explore this cavern but let's take baby steps, yes?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon had been listening a bit absentmindedly to the discussion. Most of his attention had been on their surroundings, since as the fighter he had more responsibility than most to keep on guard.

After Jeanne spoke, he nodded silent but emphatic agreement.

21. - Top - End - #381

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia also nods her agreement with the elf lady.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us be about it, then." Nathros retires from the cavern and returns to kobold hauling.

23. - Top - End - #383

Stefan follows the group out, nodding in relief.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

On the way out, unless something or someone interrupts their sojourn, Brandon picked up the dead kobolds he had put down earlier, grimacing at disgust but philosophically resigned to being a corpse bearer for a little while longer.

25. - Top - End - #385

Returning to the ground floor of the mill presents only the logistic challenge of carrying and dragging the corpses. Soon enough the entire party, plus their newest addition, and their slain and captured foes, arrive at the mill's large side door. Sunlight seems all the more bright after the foray below.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-01-24 at 02:34 PM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #386

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrilla stands for a moment with her eyes closed against the brightness of the sun, drinking in the fresh air and her new appreciation of freedom.

"Thank you all again for showing up when you did. If nothing else, I think I owe everyone a drink or two."

27. - Top - End - #387

Stefan walks out into the open air with a smile.

He pats Petrillia on the shoulder while passing her.

"Alright, it's a deal."

28. - Top - End - #388

Creeper squints at the late day sun, now starting to set of the woods west of Threshold. But he seems eager to follow the group.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros retrieves his spear, then tries to figure the time of day. "We should probably make our way to the encampment, I think."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked a little bemused that the little kobold was following them, but he did not seem averse to his presence.

He did look a little embarrassed to be carrying dead kobolds in his arms, though, despite, or even because, Creeper did not seem at all bothered by the party's having slain his fellows.