New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Nathros grins and remarks, "Aye, you could say that", before proceeding within.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

"The mill, yes. I can't say the same for the surrounding area but that's not your concern."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia, relieved at being back in a (somewhat) civilized area, follows the group and enjoying the sights and smells that she had missed out on over the past few days.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looked relieved. But he still tried to keep himself between the guards and the kobold, keeping an eye out in case one of them decided to use their new friend for target practice.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan scans around to find the keel boat or a barge set to launch, eager to hop on and return to town.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The guard waves you in and then on toward the main building of the lumber camp. "The Lord is in the main hall with guests. I'm sure he'll be eager to see you folks."

He seems about to ask something but holds his tongue.

Stefan sees the keelboat and another small boat moored at the dock.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-02-14 at 11:32 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne preempts the guard's question. "The kobold is a prisoner of sorts. He's proven harmless thus far and will remain within sword reach at all times."

8. - Top - End - #428

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan smiles at the guard and nods.

"Oh good, looks like he came out here to keep an eye on things."

Stefan walks toward the main hall, appraising the building as he approaches.

He mentions to the group, "You know, this place would make a good base camp for us if we wanted to go back down into those tunnels in the future."

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon gulped, "He's here?"

Brandon started to ask whether the lumber camp had any bathing facilities so the party could freshen up and not appear before Lord Bost looking like a group of filthy tramps, but he stopped. This was a lumber camp. Hygiene was almost certainly not going to be a priority.

So he sighed and resigned himself to looking ridiculous and smelling worse.

But then he remembered something. Frowning in confusion, he asked the guard, "Guests? What guests are you talking about?"

10. - Top - End - #430

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Hmm...looks like I'll finally get to meet this Lord Bost fellow. I've heard of him before, but never actually met him. Petrillia gives a little sigh, I guess a bath is going to have to wait for a little while longer...

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros strolls inside and wonders if he can afford a shield...

Spoiler
    Show

I thought I posted this yesterday, but it seems to have disappeared... maybe I posted it somewhere else!

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

12. - Top - End - #432

"An innkeeper from town and a..." the guard shrugs, "he'll fill you in I'm sure."

After the long walk back from the mill, the last few feet to the main hall was mercifully short. The hall, big enough to be a large dining hall for many lumberman, was nearly empty.

Lord Bost, the a tall, broad-shouldered nobleman with coppery red hair, a full beard, and slightly northland manner stood over a badly injured man laid out on a long table. On the other side of the man, stood a women, known in town as an innkeeper who had a way with traditional cures.

A few others milled around, arms crossed and tension apparent on their faces.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros adopts a deferential stance and waits to see what occurs.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Since Brandon was probably the party member with the highest social rank, he took it upon himself to speak. He raised his hand and said, "Hail, Lord Bost."

He almost went on to introduce Petrilia and Abdok and report what the party had done, but something made him stop. Perhaps it was the tension in some of the people present. He didn't know if they were Bost's friends or enemies.

15. - Top - End - #435

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan's curious and friendly demeanor drained from his face as he saw the wounded man. Quickly, he set aside his shield, mace, gloves and helmet and cut through to the table.

"Excuse me ma'am," he said to the woman, "I'm Stefan, from the Church of Karameikos. I've had some training as a healer. Is there anything I can do to help?"

16. - Top - End - #436

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia started at the mention of the innkeeper. Does he mean my former employer? Former? Have I already moved on? As they moved into the hall, she caught her first look at Lord Bost.

So, that's Bost. I wonder who the injured man is? But Petrillia gave most of her attention to the innkeeper.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is the innkeeper someone Petrillia knows?

Also, I posted in the OOC thread about a temporary absence. Hopefully it won't be too disruptive.

17. - Top - End - #437

Petrillia recognizes the innkeeper immediately. And the woman smiles as she spots Petrillia, though she doesn't leave the man's side.

Bost booms a "hail friends, and welcome back. Come, sit, and we can speak of your task." He whispers something to the innkeeper who nods.

"By all means, any help you can give Brother Reinhardt," he answers Stefan's offer of aid with a wave of his hand toward the downed man. The man laid out on the table looks to be in rough shape. If Brandon though he was unpresentable, this man was downright improper. His clothes were dirty and badly torn, he looked pale and pained, though he breathing is steady.

Bost waves you to one of the many empty tables. "He seems to be stable now, so we have a minute to talk. Were you successful?" he asks without really waiting for you to be seated.

Spoiler
    Show
    The innkeeper is Petrillia's (former) employer/mentor. I invite you to describe her and narrate her reaction, if you like.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-02-15 at 12:00 PM.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon smiled as things seemed to settle down. He spoke.

"We found what your men thought were spirits, my Lord. They were actually giant beetles with organs that glowed in the dark. They burrowed up from underground into the mill. We went down into the tunnels and exterminated all we found, but there may be more. The tunnels are extensive."

"We also found some kobolds in the tunnels. They had captured this lady here. Petrilia, I'd like to introduce you to Lord Bost."
    Brandon made the appropriate gestures of introduction.

"We killed the kobolds that attacked us, but this one, Abdok, he helped us. He's okay."

19. - Top - End - #439

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia made an clumsy curtsey to Lord Bost and moved quickly to the innkeeper's side. "Darya, I'm SO sorry. I went looking for the herbs like you said, but there were these little dogmen," she paused long enough to point to Creeper/Abdok before continuing. "They tied me up and I thought they were going to kill me-"

"Ease yourself, child," Darya responded with a wrinkly smile. Petrillia frowned slightly at being called a child, but continued to listen to the voice she thought she would never miss. "I read the omens and I knew it wasn't your time. I spent the hours imagining the stories you were living." Darya sighed and added with a wink, "I suppose you're not too old (like me) to be off having adventures!"

Petrillia started speaking, "But it wasn't really like that-"

"Adventures never are, child," Darya interrupted. "They never are."

Darya, ignoring yet another frown on Petrillia's face, turned her attention to Stefan. "Now here's a fine young man that'll warm the cockles of any young girl's heart! I'm just an old herb pusher," Petrillia rolls her eyes at this comment, "and not a full time healer. Come on over, my boy, and give a lady a hand with this poor soul."

Petrillia stepped back from Darya and thought to herself, Yes. Former employer. But in spite of her superstitious ways, she does have some value as a mentor. It still pays to be polite and on her good side. You never know when the wheat grain will be found in the chaff.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros continues to observe proceedings, nodding along where he agrees with the tale, but refraining from breaking in unless some smirch upon his honour is accidentally incurred.

21. - Top - End - #441

"Wonderful, I'll send men to secure the building in the morning and begin work on getting it running again."

"I'm glad you found the girl. I thought we were going to have to send out search parties in the morning. She was certain the young woman was out there and alive."
    He adds with a nod toward the girl and the female innkeeper.

Returning his attention to those around him, he continues "That's really fine work out at the mill," he beams at the party, "I don't suppose you'd want to undertake something a bit farther afield?"
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #442

Stefan Reinhardt
    Quote Originally Posted by sbwilson View Post
    "Now here's a fine young man that'll warm the cockles of any young girl's heart! I'm just an old herb pusher," Petrillia rolls her eyes at this comment, "and not a full time healer. Come on over, my boy, and give a lady a hand with this poor soul."
    Stefan flushed at the woman's comment, but stayed focused. "Alright, these bandages are good. I don't know how much blood he's lost, though. Some water with a solution of salt and sugar should help his recovery."

As he talked, Stefan rolled a blanket and propped it underneath the man's feet. "What happened to him, anyway?" he asked the innkeeper Darya.

Stefan moved to the injured man's head to check if the man was still conscious, and how strong his heartbeat was. "Some strong alcohol or iodine will be good for his wounds, and to rinse my hands. If he awakes, I'd like to hear his confessions, just in case."

Stefan softly whispered a prayer as he worked, "Please, Chardastes, guide my hands so I may heal this man."

Then he set himself on what needed doing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll for healing skill (int 9): (1d20)[11]
    If successful: (1d3)[3]

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon blinked. He smiled in pleasure and looked at his companions.

"What do you think?" he asked.

"I'm up for more adventuring if others are also willing, my Lord," he told Lord Bost, standing a little straighter as he did so.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros nods his assent.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bug caverns and kobold dens are woefully dry of loot. How can one rival Your Lordship's wealth without expanding to more profitable fields of adventure?"

26. - Top - End - #446

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan glanced over to the conversation taking place around Bost long enough to assess what was going on. "If you guys are in, I'm in," he nodded.

27. - Top - End - #447

"Very good. Bret has come bearing troubling news, but I remain hopeful that it presents an opportunity." He gestures toward the man laid out on the table, who is looking much better under the ministrations of Stefan and the innkeeper. Still, the man seems physically exhausted and barely conscious.

"A small group of men traveled east to find a stand of valuable trees that I heard about from a traveler. Unfortunately, what they found was trouble. The group found a small keep, apparently abandoned, but as they approached they were set upon by a pack of goblins.

I checked before I sent the scouting party out, and the land is unowned with no present title registered. I'd like to know what secrets it holds, and ultimately be able to obtain it for my use. I'll begin the transactions to claim the land, and I'd like you go to see about the fate of my men and also clear out and claim the keep.

I'll provide you with porters, if you like though you'll have to look after them, carts or other goods you may need, and a flag to raise in the keep.

Oh, and of course, I'll pay you for your good work at the mill, in coin or from our stores here."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-03-18 at 10:27 PM.
    Forum Rules

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

"Abandoned ruins and monstrous bandits. Sounds fun... and lucrative."

29. - Top - End - #449

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan approached the main group, satisfied that he'd done all he could for the injured man. He stood beside Brandon and scratched his chin.

"A keep full of goblins, hm? Hopefully Bret wasn't the only survivor... there should still be more of them out there - maybe needing assistance." Stefan frowned.

"How far away is this keep?" he asked Lord Bost.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon was starting to relax as it appeared that he was not being too ludicrous in his dirty armor. He nodded in agreement at Lord Bost's offer. "Of course, my lord."

But he also waited to listen to the answer to Stefan's question. He seemed pleased that no one of authority had yet called for Abdok's head to be set on a pike.