New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 84 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425264166 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #451
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

"Two days to the east. I can provide you a map. Presumably, my men followed the map.

You're welcome to leave immediately, or wait until morning."

He looks down with regret, "As Bret tells it, he didn't return here until the battle had turned against them. I do not think they still live."

He waves over one of the uncomfortable looking men, a short, swarthy fellow, likely of Traladaran descent. "My quartermaster, Zirchev, can see to your supply needs and pick out suitable men, if you wish to hire any, to accompany you. If you desire payment in coin, he can see to that, too"

Turning to Zirchev he adds, "fifty each for their fine work at the mill, and send a team right away to hold the place and begin repairs." He laughs half-heartedly, "turns out it was not haunted. Just a bit of a bug problem."

Spoiler
    Show

Note: In Bost's comment in my post preceding this one, "north" was changed to "east."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-03-18 at 10:28 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

"I vote for morning. Only I and Nathros' see well in the dark and if you believe the men are dead there's nothing we can do. Best we leave rested and healed."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

"Sounds like something we can handle," Nathros enthuses.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon smiled.

"Of course we'll help handle your problem for you, Lord Bost. But I'd prefer to go by morning. And maybe talk to Zirchev and pick up some supplies, maybe."

Unfamiliar with public speaking, Brandon inadvertently said the word 'maybe' twice in the same sentence.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

When receiving payment, Nathros enquires as to whether there might be a nice round dwarf sized shield in the armoury that he might take in lieu of some of his coin. His last one was cloven in two during an unfortunate incident with a two-handed axe. Speaking of which, a stout mace or hand-axe might not go astray as well.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia, after listening to the offer of Lord Bost, turned to her mentor. "Darya, ma'am, I hate to seem ungrateful for what you have taught me, but I don't think my place is in the inn anymore. If the others will accept my help, I'd like to ask to leave your service."

Darya, with a twinkle in her eye, responds, "Of course, child. You keep these fine companions with warm meals and they'll take care of you."

"Um, well, I didn't mean to go along as a cook-"

"Of course you didn't," Darya interrupted with another sly wink.

Ahhh! How embarrassing! Why must she be like that? Petrillia thought, fully understanding Darya's implied meaning. Just take a deep breath, don't respond and try not to blush so much.

"Lord Bost," turning around she addressed the noble. "If it is acceptable to you and the others, I'd like to offer my services as well. I may not be trained in fighting goblins, but I do have some knowledge of the magical arts and I may be of some use."

"It is true, sire," Darya said in support. "She has been well taught."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne tops off her arrows and inquires about a longbow and half a dozen pots of oil.

8. - Top - End - #458

Lord Bost nods at Petrillia's request. "A magicker may serve them well in the unknown forest. You're hired."

Zirchev leads anyone interested to empty barracks, a well-stocked armory, or the sizeable larder. "At cost, if we have it, it's yours."

Spoiler
    Show

While they don't have anything of dwarven or elven make, they do have smaller-sized stout shields, as well as at least one of most things in the Basic or Expert (or Rules Cyclopedia) equipment list available at list price. Post what you'd like to purchase in the OOC, and I'll let you know if that's something he doesn't have or charges more for.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-02-24 at 04:08 PM.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #459

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

Petrillia smiled inwardly at the words "You're hired." She looked randomly through the armory, not really interested in purchasing anything, but mentally ticking off items in her head that she already had stored away in her pack.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jmbrown View Post
    Jeanne tops off her arrows and inquires about a longbow and half a dozen pots of oil.

Brandon buys no arrows, as he was not able to use any during the fight in the mill and in the tunnels. After seeing how many flasks of oil Jeanne bought, he buys no more oil flasks either, sticking with the 2 he already has.

On a whim, he also purchases from Zirchev a vial of holy water, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Total cost 25 gp out of the 50 earned.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan Reinhardt

Stefan asks Zirchev to tithe 5 gold pieces to the Church of Karameikos on his behalf, packing the remaining 45 in his bag. Then he checks his inventory and inspects the supply room.

Stefan eyes a grappling hook for a while, but decides that it's unlikely to be of any use to him, and too costly. He scratches his chin and muses out loud about saving up for a wagon and some draft horses.

Finally, Stefan finds Zirchev again and asks about hiring porters, carts and horses, and what prices or wages they are asking.

12. - Top - End - #462

Zirchev tucks away Stefan's tithe with assurances that he'll have it delivered tomorrow. He offers to show Stefan to the stables where solid horses can be had for forty gold each and a cart for a hundred, though perhaps Lord Bost could rent them for a quarter that - if Stefan is willing to ensure their good treatment and safe return. Alternatively, he could send a few men along, solid lumberjack-types, for two gold each, again, assuming their safe return.

He unlocks a glass-fronted cabinet and draws forth a vial of holy water for Brandon.

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone else has business with Zirchev, feel free to post. Otherwise, feel free to post your characters' nightly routine and I'll move us along to morning.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros purchases a quart of wine and retires to consider the events of the day and what adventures might lie ahead.

14. - Top - End - #464

Flumph

Petrillia Ilyanov

(Later that night...)

Petrillia sat and ran a brush through her freshly washed hair. The warm bath had been absolutely divine and now she was enjoying sitting on a real bed and brushing all the tangles out. Her skin, a bright pink from being scrubbed near raw in the attempt to remove the stink of the cavern, tingled in the slight night breeze coming from the nearby window.

Jumping out of bed, Petrillia closed the window, scanned her eyes absently over a few pages of her spellbook, decided she was too tired to put too much effort into arcane thoughts until morning, and after blowing out the room's candle, she crawled into bed and fell into a deep sleep.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm returning to my camp. Will I care for the kobold or will he be secured in some other quarters?"

16. - Top - End - #466

Stefan Reinhardt

"I'm not sure. It might be easier for everyone if Abdok was staying at your camp." Stefan made an apologetic face, "He's pretty well behaved, you gotta admit."

Stefan excused himself from the elf and kobold to find Brandon. "Hey Bran, do you think we should hire a horse and cart? Or maybe a few men to help us maintain a base camp? What are the odds that something is going to go wrong and we're going to need a solid base to fall back to? I have the coin to finance it, but I was wondering what you think."

The young cleric frowned and rubbed his chin, "You know what happened to Bret's team."

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon nodded. "Yeah, a wagon and horses sound good. I don't want to have to walk there. That's too hard."

He thought a few moments, then spoke. "A guard or two also sounds good. Goblins raid, and if we camp close enough to them that we can walk there, they can walk to our camp as well."

18. - Top - End - #468

Stefan nodded, "Alright, I'll set things up with Zirchev."

Arranging to rent a cart, a horse, and five men's wages cost Stefan the rest of his 45 gold. He didn't seem to mind, saying that it was all for the greater good if things were dangerous.

Stefan asked Zirchev to send for the most adventuresome and able bodied men he had. Preferably some that could handle themselves in a fight, "Petra forbid it ever come to that." They'd need to be prepared to set up a camp, and help with general labour. Since the cleric wanted to inspect the horse and cart he was renting (and get general tips on it's usage), he was kept rather late.

By the time he made it to his quarters, Stefan was almost too tired to be anxious about the day to come. Praying for guidance on a hundred different troubles, he almost got a good night's sleep.

"This is the real thing, now. Almost like the Order of the Griffon..."

19. - Top - End - #469

Everyone is fed and boarded for the night in private rooms. Lord Bost's establishment likely strikes many as quite nice and very well-provisioned for a lumbercamp.

Those up early enough can catch a couple scores of men stumbling out of their barracks and into the main hall for morning meal. Otherwise, morning comes early and loudly as the men get to work, with the sound of men shouting, clanging equipment, and the like.

The horses and cart are ready. Nearby, five burly men with thick clothes, spears, axes, and smallish packs of their own mill about, clearly used to beginning their days so early.
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros nurses a sore head in the morning, but nevertheless hoists his gear and makes for the cart.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon chooses to ride in the cart if there is room, avoiding walking in his heavy plate armor.

22. - Top - End - #472

Stefan has a restless sleep, so he wakes up when the men start making noise. Instead of leaving his room, he meditates for a while. Finally he gets ready.

Stefan nods at the gathered group affirmatively as he approaches.

23. - Top - End - #473

The cart is already hitched up to the horse and loaded with a pair of tightly rolled green cloth - presumably the flags Lord Bost mentioned for marking the building as his. One of the burly men steps forward to great each of you with a "Good morn, sir" or the like. He introduces himself as Devin and his fellows as Bran, Lann, Markos, and Ivan.

"Zirchev says we're hired to carry your loads, bear torches, make camp, and such, and we're happy to help out. But we're not army men or warriors.

We'll do what we can. I'm a fair shot with a bow, and these men all know how to swing an axe, but we mostly hit trees, which aren't too fast, if you know what I mean."
    He smiles.

"We usually run for cover or up a tree when there's trouble on a job."
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne's up before everyone else with Abdok in tow. "A fine morning. I listened to the wind and she said today will be trying if not fruitful. I don't expect anything less."

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros finds himself a place to sit in the cart and does his best to seem amicable.

26. - Top - End - #476

"That will do just fine, Devin. You'll be around to establish a base camp, hopefully you and yours won't see a single goblin." Stefan smiles and shakes Devin's hand. "I'm Stefan."

Stefan walks beside the cart on the journey, doing his best to enjoy the morning trek. He leaves the donkey handling to the woodsmen, trusting their knowledge of the area over his own.

Holding his mace over his shoulder, he softly hums a hymn, and then a few drinking songs learned at the tavern.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon is relatively relaxed while the wagon rolls through a town or city, but when the party starts to travel through more rural territory, he sits in the wagon with his bow lying across his armored lap.

His quiver of arrows hangs over his back, ready to be used.

28. - Top - End - #478

Taking Stefan for the group's leader, Devin greets him respectfully and proffers a map, the one mentioned by Lord Bost the night before.

Devin and his men gather around the cart and walk comfortably. The tall grass east of the lumber camp covers small hills, at the tops of which one can spot a light forest in the distance. Hours pass and the sun climbs high into the sky.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon suddenly asks, "Can any of you speak Goblin?"

30. - Top - End - #480

Stefan laughs and says "Would that I could," before realising that Bran probably wasn't asking him.

He opens the map and studies it with a more sober expression.