New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 84 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526274267 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #481
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

"A little" Devin says, "but that's more than these fellows, who barely speak the common tongue." he laughs and his fellow lumberman chuckle.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan grins and gets in on the ribbing.

"What sort of stuff do you know how to say, anyway Dev? "I surrender, now take me to your women"?" Stefan chuckles at Devin with a wink.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-03-17 at 06:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros takes in the scenery.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #484

"The curses mostly, and 'go away' and die human,' which is what they yell at us.

So do you guys do this kind of thing a lot?"
    Forum Rules

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    "The curses mostly, and 'go away' and die human,' which is what they yell at us.

So do you guys do this kind of thing a lot?"

Brandon Bor

Brandon opened his mouth to speak, then his gaze rested on Jeanne and Nathros for a few moments and he stopped.

Then he grinned a little goofily and said, "Some of us may have been doing this for a very long time indeed, but I'm just starting."

6. - Top - End - #486

Stefan taps his mace to his helmet "Yeah, I'm fairly new to this too. But don't worry..."

He smiles, as if "don't worry..." explains everything.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

"Mercenary work, guarding fat merchants or their goods, serving as a marine for passage between ports, even done a bit of bounty hunting from time to time, but I am only lately come to this sort of service. Monster hunting and the like is a new enough venture for me."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-03-20 at 09:24 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

8. - Top - End - #488

By late afternoon, the large party makes its way to the edge of the forest. It seems fairly light at the edge, but even from there one can see that it thickens before one gets too deep into it. The map suggests entering in and then after a while veering northeast.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-03-20 at 10:08 PM.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #489

Stefan spends most of the walk chatting with Devin and the other workmen, telling a few jokes or tall tales as best he can remember them.

He studies the map for a while, and decides that it's possible to rename the ruined keep that they are heading to. He bats a few ideas back and forth before deciding on "Goblindrop Keep," though no one else seems to agree that it's a very good name. Stefan shrugs off the criticism with a grin, and laments that he has no pen to update the map.

Once they arrive at the forest, Stefan looks at the map and reminds the group that they will need to veer to the north east soon, then hands the map to Brandon so that he may take a look at it as well.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-03-21 at 09:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sings "Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer" all the hours he sits in the wagon, until and unless the others ask him to shut up.

He looks at the map once Stefan offers it to him.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros keeps watch on the countryside for a while, but soon lapses into a light slumber. He opens one eye during the map discussions and keeps it on Brandon with a scowl, during his impromptu rendition of "ninety nine bottle of beer", until he quietens.

12. - Top - End - #492

The forest looms ahead with a couple hours of daylight remaining.

"We've not worked in these forests before, so who knows what we'll find in there," Devin comments, though neither he nor the other lumberman show any sign of slowing their pace.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Jean had been admiring the countryside in silence and is elated when the forest looms into view. "We'll find danger amidst beauty. Such is nature. Only she can turn dreams into nightmares and back again."

14. - Top - End - #494

"Hm." Stefan wanders to Brandon to get another look at the map.

"Should we stop here, in relative safety? Or would that make tomorrow a really long trek?"

He tries to get a peek at how much distance they have left to go.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon ponders, then speaks.

"I'd like to look for a defensible spot where we can keep the wagon and the guards out of sight and yet is close enough to the goblin camp so we don't have to walk too far."

"So I suggest we scout a bit until we find some place like that. What do you all think?"

He looks around.

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for the delay in posting. I completely forgot about this thread for a few days due to a number of reasons.

I especially apologize to Roland. Sometimes I click on a thread and do not really register what is going on or that I am asked a question IC or OOC.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros remains silent, taking in the scenery, though with a somewhat wary eye.

17. - Top - End - #497

Judging by the distances on the map, the precision of which is unknown, the keep could be reached in the wee morning hours if one pressed on through.

Brandon notices several hilltops that might make decent campsites or one could set up camp right along the tree line.
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Judging by the distances on the map, the precision of which is unknown, the keep could be reached in the wee morning hours if one pressed on through.

Brandon notices several hilltops that might make decent campsites or one could set up camp right along the tree line.
    Brandon Bor

Brandon points out the hilltops and the treeline, explaining the good points and bad points of each. Mostly common sense, really (a hilltop campsite is defensible but might be easily seen, while a tree line camp is more hidden but lacks the high ground advantage of a hilltop).

"Which do you think we should we pick?"

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

"Hills would be my choice. Sturdy rock beneath my feet and a potentially good view of the surrounding territory."

20. - Top - End - #500

"That sounds good to me. But - we should probably go without a fire tonight." Stefan adds, clearly not looking forward to a cold night.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

"I prefer the comfort of the forest but won't argue with a dwarf in his element."

22. - Top - End - #502

The decision seemingly made, the woodsmen begin setting up a modest camp. Brush is cleared, a perimeter established, and the horse cared for.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

In the middle of setting up camp, Brandon asks, "There are still an hour or two of daylight remaining. I don't want to go too far from the camp, but maybe we can scout around a bit, learn the territory."

He asks the others, "What do you think?"

24. - Top - End - #504

Stefan tries to help, but doesn't really know where he should be or what to do, and ends up mostly just being impressed at the workmen's efficiency.

Once the camp is established, Stefan suggests, "we should have two people on watch at a time. Maybe four shifts of two hours each?"

"I can take first watch, then I'll wake Jeanne for second - given you don't mind, of course." Stefan blushes at his own stammering, then continues "Nathros has good eyesight for third watch, and Brandon, you can watch in the early morning. I'll ask Devin to divide the watch for his men equally so it will be one of each of us at a time."

"Sound good to you guys?"

In repsonse to Brandon's question: "Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I think the others have things well in hand here." Stefan puts his helmet and shield back on, having just recently taken them off.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-03-29 at 09:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, we can take a look about before nightfall. Two hour watches seems reasonable to me."

26. - Top - End - #506

Stefan finds a nice stone or two for his sling before the group sets out.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon smiled, pleased that a majority had supported his proposal. He hung his shield at his back and strung his shortbow.

A little tentatively, he suggested, "Let's scout in an outgoing spiral pattern until we're about a mile away from the campsite. That way we know what's around us and make sure we're not camped close to a goblin camp or somethin'."

28. - Top - End - #508

"Sounds good to me. I'll tell the workers to start a fire for us if we aren't back by complete nightfall. Even if we get lost, we should be able to see a signal fire on this hill from a a ways off."

Stefan quickly jaunts away to give his instructions to the workmen. He returns with a anxious smile. "All set! You still got the map?" he asks Brandon.

Without waiting for a reply, he asks Nathros naively, "Hey, it is true dwarves can smell a goblin a mile off?"

29. - Top - End - #509

The woodsman nod their understanding and the scouting begins uneventfully. Patches of tall grass, low scrub, and even the occasional stand of small trees fall within the spiral pattern Brandon proposed. A rustling from off to the scouting party's side is followed by a pair of angry looking boars charging toward the party - mere fifty feet away and bearing down fast!

Spoiler
    Show

PCs win initiative
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Er... if there is time (since we have the initiative), Nathros hurls his hand axe and sets his spear to receive a charge, if not then just the latter. His shield is currently slung.

Spoiler
    Show

I am currently without my copy of the RC, but I assume there is no bonus to damage for a hurled axe from having a free hand:

Attack: (1d20+1)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7]

Presumably double damage for setting spear is 2(1d6+2) or maybe 2(1d6)+2, rather than 2d6+4 or 2d6+2. I am sure you will let me know which, Roland!