New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Nathros nods, "A fair proposition, indeed; for my part, I accept this undertaking and can be ready to depart within the hour."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-10-02 at 08:36 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne scowls throughout the entire conversation. "To elf eyes, human proclivity to destroy nature is likened to that of orcs and dwarves. No difference. I accept, not for gold, but to separate the lies from truth. How will Threshold fare under your hand? Don't disappoint, Mr. Bost, or your children's children won't hear the end of it from me."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Fairly certain that Bost isn't hiding anything (but still wary of Enok), Sid winced at Jeanne's proclamation. If able to catch Bost's eye, he raised both hands and displayed a, "Hey, you invited her, not me" expression.

If able to catch Jeanne's eye, he glared and mouthed, "Shut up or get out!"

If able to catch Stefan's eye, he raised his eyebrows expectantly and waved an exaggerated, "Come along!" at him.

Anyone watching him the whole time probably wondered why Lord Bost thought that a mime would be useful.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Oh man, of course it's something dangerous. At least Sid is along for the ride, Stefan thinks to himself. Good Sir Boast - he is deliberately trying to pronounce the name correctly - I am but a simple acolyte of the Church of Karameikos, but if you really think I may be of help, I... Stefan pauses for a moment and puts on a big, somewhat artificial smile. ...will be glad to provide clerical advice. He steps back, the smile promptly being replaced by a worried facial expression. Dear Petra, I surely hope you know what you're doing here, sending altar boys like me on missions like these!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Lord Bost frowns a bit at the elf's judgmental tone, but shrugs it off quickly.

"Threatening unborn children seems a bit crude, he replies, a wry smile creeping on to his face, "but I hope you find what you are looking for nonetheless."

He opens his arms widely, a more pleasant expression filling his demeanor, "you may take my barge upriver to the logging camp. It's tied up down at the river; you may have seen it on your way in. I'll send someone with you to captain it. Gather there at your mutual convenience.

The old mill is a short walk south along the riverbank. When all is clear, you can report back to the logging camp."

With that, he rises from his chair, expecting others would do the same and get right to it.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-03 at 04:57 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #36

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

When Stefan threw his lot in, Sid grinned and started to get up. He stopped to listen to Bost, then finished his movement. He gave Bost and Enok business-like nods at the door and grudgingly spouted, "Thank you for the chance, sirs. Hope we don't disappoint." He waited for the others to head out with him and, unless stopped, he'd clearly intend to head straight for the barge, keeping his eyes forward, trying not to be distracted by anything too thievable, on his way out.

- Myself

Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros politely bids Lord Bost farewell, before taking his leave with the others. He remarks to them, "I have no need to return to my lodgings, as I have all I possess with me and made no arrangements to stay this evening. Indeed, I had a feeling that I would have little need of a bed there tonight. From here, I am bound for the barge, and will await there any who need further time to set their affairs in order, at least until midmorn."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

8. - Top - End - #38

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid nodded at Nathros and gestured for him to lead the way. "I'll come with you. You said your name was Nathros, right? I'm Sid. Didn't think I'd done anything to get noticed by a lord! How about you? I don't know much about the Dwarvish circles of Threshold."

- Myself

9. - Top - End - #39

The same blond woman appears to show you out, pointing down the hill toward the private dock, in case you missed it.
    Forum Rules

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon nodded and smiled to the lord. Picking his gear up again, he followed the blond servant out.

He nodded to Nathros. "I'll come with you, friend Nathros. I brought everything I need as well."

He then murmured obliquely, "I wonder if Lord Bost's barges have railings. They might not, seeing as they're used to transport lumber, not passengers."

He then glanced sideways at Stefan and Jeanne.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne has all her equipment and needs nothing else. She removes her armor upon boarding the barge (for elves don't live as long as they do being foolish) and reequips herself when they land. She keeps her trident at her side and tests the pull of her bow as the barge is traveling, remaining silent and observant.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"Nathros it is, pleased to meet you, Sid. I imagine lords have the means to keep track of all in their domains, and their capabilities. Of course, dwarves are perhaps more visible than others in small human communities. Glad to have you along too, Brandon. If rails are a concern, we could always see about fastening you to the deck," he winks.

Observing Jeanne removing her armour, Nathros muses on his own swimming capabilities, eventually deciding that he would rather face river pirates armoured than find himself in the water for lack of defence.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Being tired from walking with the armor for most of the day, Stefan decides on taking off the plate mail before boarding the barge. Not that I doubt the safety involved here, but I'd hate to fall overboard wearing metal armor, he explains as he carefully removes the different plates and paddings. After packing down the stuff, he sighs in relief and takes a good look around the vessel, even smiling a bit.

The young cleric re-checks his weapons and makes sure to keep the shield around. So, I guess we'll all be working together, huh? We'd better be as prepared as we can. He looks down at his weapons. I'm... not much of a warrior myself. I'll probably serve better as artillery if it comes to open conflict, he says, fingering his sling. If you need assistance in spiritual matters or someone to confide to, I guess that's where I come in. Isn't that what priests do? I'm sort of new to this, he laughs. No, really!, he adds in a more serious tone. Feel free to speak to me at any time if you think I can help you.

14. - Top - End - #44

The "barge" as Bost called it, turns out to be a half-sized keelboat, a simple, roughly egg-shaped ship with a single mast and simple sails. The two men on it have a similar northern look, with broad shoulders and full beards, though they are considerably older than Lord Bost. They wave toward any who approach, inviting them on board. The taller one greets you warmly,

"Katrine, said the Lord'd be sendin' ya, so we started getting things ready. Should be set to launch when you are. There's room in the hold, if you're not a fan a'the open water. Otherwise, you're welcome to stay on deck."

The way onto the ship is a wide plank from dock to deck, which seems stable underfoot.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-04 at 06:24 PM.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #45

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid "Mmhm"ed at Nathros and chuckled at his poke at Brandon. He raised an eyebrow at Stefan's offer of assistance and sidled over to whisper, "I never thought that you really took all of that stuff seriously! Am I going to have to, uh, start pretending like I go to church, now?"

While waiting for people to take their armour off, Sid chatted with the men. "Oh, I'll stay up. What, is Katrine the lady at the door, back there? She mentioned us? Did she say what we'd be about? Do you guys know anything about the place?"

- Myself

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon smiled and greeted the two bargemen, "Hi. I'm Brandon Bor. Pleased to meet ya."

He put his gear as near to the center of the barge deck as he could, then sat down on his cloak beside it. He'd never been on any boat but a rowboat before and was not about to go below deck and avoid seeing the barge move out on the water.

As he waited for the barge to start moving, he studied Jeanne and spoke to the elf.

"Hi, I'm Brandon Bor."

"Could I ask: Why do you seem so angry?"

17. - Top - End - #47

"Aye," he responds on to Sid's question about Katrine, "and we know where yer headed - the lumber camp. But after that, she didn't say. What are you folks about? Y'don't look like lumbermen, or craftsman for that matter, if y'don't mind me saying so."
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne's taken back by Bor's accusation. "Mr. Bor, what gives you any reason to believe I'm angry?" To the men, Jeanne only says "House cleaning. Literally and figuratively."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon answered Jeanne, "Weeell... You don't smile. You're frowning a lot. And you talked kind of disrespectfully to Lord Bost."

"He's a great lord, you know. He was just kidding when he called himself a lumberman. Everyone likes him. No one I know has a bad word to say about him. At least till I met you."

He smiled to show he wasn't really that disturbed by her behavior.

"So I'm just askin', if you don't mind. Why are you so angry?"

Then his attention was suddenly caught once again by the blue juice staining his hand. He stared at it briefly, then seemed to come back to himself and returned his focus to Jeanne.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros gladly boards the barge and greets the bargemen in as friendly a way as he can manage, intending to stay above deck. "How long is the journey to our destination?"

21. - Top - End - #51

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid found someplace on deck to settle himself, where he crossed his arms and sighed, "Yeah. What she said. Bost just hired us to clean out the old lumber mill. We don't know what needs cleaning out, yet. Have you ever heard about anything weird over there?" If not, he'd continue. "Oh, well. We have no idea how long this'll take. Will you guys be sticking around, to give us a ride back, or what?"

- Myself

22. - Top - End - #52

He pauses a moment to check the wind before answering Nathros, "shouldn't be too much longer than it took y'ta walk here from town."

He shakes his head at Sid, "word at the lumber camp is the place is haunted. Ghosts, demons, and other haunts are the talk, but who can say? 'Twas probably just a wolf or some other animal hiding in the old mill for shelter." He gives a dry laugh, "of course, I'm not going into find out. We'll wait for you adventurous types back at the lumber mill."

When everyone one is a board, the shorter man pulls the plank aboard and the ship shoves off and begins its journey upstream.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"Good to know." Nathros stows his gear and idles away the time sharpening his spear (though without a whetstone it seems... well dwarves are an ingenious people).
    Last edited by Matthew; 2010-10-05 at 04:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid rolled his eyes and waved his arms with exasperation. "Haunted?! Great! I hope that none of you are afraid of ghosts!" To himself ---> "Guess I can't afford to be..."

Remembering the offer of Stefan's that he had previously scoffed at, he turned to him hopefully. "Hey! You've gotta know all about them, right? Yep! Good old Stefan! We'll follow your lead!"

- Myself

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Stefan Reinhardt

Well, I do know a little about the undead in general, and I know that I can repel them or sometimes even destroy them outright using the mighty power of Petra. Stefan raises the symbol from his necklace to demonstrate. Ghosts are rather powerful undead, but should we encounter one, my faith will see us through! He clearly takes great pride in this hypothetical triumph, seeking to inspire his newfound brothers-in-arms.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stefan probably knows that he will have little chance of actually turning a ghost, but he's thinking it will be wise to use his natural charisma to imbue his comrades with good morale.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frivolous View Post
    Brandon Bor

Brandon answered Jeanne, "Weeell... You don't smile. You're frowning a lot. And you talked kind of disrespectfully to Lord Bost."

"He's a great lord, you know. He was just kidding when he called himself a lumberman. Everyone likes him. No one I know has a bad word to say about him. At least till I met you."

He smiled to show he wasn't really that disturbed by her behavior.

"So I'm just askin', if you don't mind. Why are you so angry?"

Then his attention was suddenly caught once again by the blue juice staining his hand. He stared at it briefly, then seemed to come back to himself and returned his focus to Jeanne.
    "Anger? No. I'm flippant and aloof but I'm an elf. When you've lived among elves for 100 years you acquire these mannerisms.

I'm sure Bost is a fine man but a lord is just a human with a louder voice. We, the creatures of the earth, are all rivers leading to the great ocean that is life. It's unfortunate that humans die before they see how their river changes the earth around it. As I said, I'm not doing this for the gold but to see this man's river. Will he use this mill to carve mountains and stimulate life or will his river carry refuse and detritus, polluting the great ocean?

In our arrogance, elves seclude themselves as the ocean of life swallows us whole. We complain about garbage but do nothing to clean it, just build higher walls that leave less room to claw out. I'm living among your kind to watch the flow and clean the trash for the benefit of all."
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2010-10-06 at 01:51 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon listened intently to what Jeanne said, but from the confused frown on his face, it was apparent not everything was getting through to him. Environmentalism was not even a myth to him, and so, despite his being born to a wealthy family, he scratched his head just like any country bumpkin.

"Um, okay. Thanks for the explanation."

He smiled to cover his lack of comprehension, "I'm glad you're not angry."

28. - Top - End - #58

The keelboat shoves off into the river and seems to move upstream swiftly, the northerly wind moving it along. Both men attend to the rigging, and before long it comes upon the city proper, with the main of Threshold to port and the Old Town of Fogor Isle straight ahead. The ship tacks to starboard to avoid the bridges connecting the two parts of town, and before too long can see the burned out mill on the island's northern tip. Ahead on the east bank lies the lumber camp, a large grouping of wooden longhouses, and before that a two-story structure than can only be the old mill.

"We'll take y'on to the lumber camp, 'cause that's where the dock is, you can walk back down to the mill, shouldn't take you too long."
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne pieces her armor on and keeps her bow in hand. "Lead on."

30. - Top - End - #60

Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

Sid cheered, caught up in Stefan's confident proclamation. When he noticed that no one else did, he shrugged at his friend and laid a hand on his shoulder. "Aw, what do they know? You and me, Stefan! I scout things out, and you take no prisoners, just like always!"

He didn't understand most of what Jeanne said. He thought about pointing out something along these lines ---> People aren't rivers! And even if they sort of are, you can't judge a river unless you've, uh, slept in its bed for as long as it would take to walk a mile? Instead of saying that, though, he just snorted.

As the barge got closer to their goal, Sid nodded to the men, looking as if he might burst with nervous energy. At the dock, he thanked them, then bounded off and waved farewell.

- Myself