New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Stefan rushes to Markos to help the injured man.

Spoiler
    Show
    Int: 9
    Healing Skill:(1d20)[10]
    Damage healed:(1d3)[2]

2. - Top - End - #572
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Stefan begins to bind the man's wounds, applying pressure and wrapping it tightly. He seems to be in and out of consciousness.

Brandon gives the goblin corpse a search, finding a coin pouch with two dozen silver, a well-made spear, and a dagger. While covered in filth, the grey-gray-skinned goblin seems to be wearing decent clothing torn off at the wrists and ankles, and green sash.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nathros and Jeanne would know that goblins rarely have that kind of coin or decent clothing.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

"A waste of arrows. These little boogers are better equipped than most but a shiny sword doesn't make up for poor tactics. How far are we from our destination? I think we should leave the cart behind and push ahead off the main road to scout any future ambushes."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

"We can conceal the cart, and take whatever gear we need to carry by hand, if you think that best."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do, yes. What say everyone else?"

6. - Top - End - #576

"I agree," says Stefan, sitting down and wiping his brow after treating the wounded man.

"Did anyone see where that one goblin ran off to?" Stefan asks, oblivious to the fact that Jeanne's arrow skewered it a few minutes ago.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Presumably someone helps Brandon out of the pit. He then starts to look through the other goblin bodies for treasure and useful equipment.

"We should put the bodies in this convenient pit and cover it up somehow. Branches might be good, since we can't take the time to fill the pit with earth."

"Branches won't conceal them for very long, not once they start to rot, but we have to keep the other goblins from finding the remains.:

If no one objects, after searching through the bodies, Brandon cuts branches and lays them over the pit, once again concealing it from view. He glances at nearby landmarks so that neither he nor anyone else in the party falls into it again by mistake.

8. - Top - End - #578

Brandon finds the other goblins similarly wealthy and almost identically outfitted, save for the differences in their exact clothing and a few additional coppers some of them carry.

Their small bodies can easily be dragged and hidden in the shallow pit. Many loose branches and leaves lie about to re-cover the pit. The woodsmen follow Nathros' instructions and move the cart against a tree and try to hide it. They unhook the horse and put Markos atop it. He seems pale and week, but tries not to show the pain.

In short order, they are ready to move again.

Spoiler
    Show

Whoever has the map can see that, if it is correct, the party should make the special grove (and therefore the keep that was found instead) before nightfall).

Net treasure:
    120 sp
    18 cp
    5 spears
    5 daggers
    And their clothing, if desired.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-04-28 at 09:46 AM.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

After ensuring everybody is appropriately armed, Nathros stows the remaining gear in the concealed cart. "We're liable as not to run into another of these patrols afore we reach the keep. By my estimation it'll be drawing dark by then, and these goblin folk are generally more active at night than when the sun is bright in the sky. Ideally, we should find somewhere to hole up out of sight and hit them on the morrow."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm sure the goblins will realize something amiss when their patrol doesn't return. Let's move off the main road and find a defensible position to hole up. I'll take point."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

"Although goblins are not known for much concern shown their fellows, there may be something to what you say. Indeed, if they send forth search parties to seek their lost patrol we might catch more of them in an ambuscade of our own. Still, that will not be for some hours, we have time yet to plan."

12. - Top - End - #582

Jeanne picks a path away from the main road but roughly in the direction of the keep. Expertly picking her way among the trees, the way is almost as good as the path but better hidden. The party quickly resumes its previous marching order, without the cart, of course.

Slowly the yellow slivers of sunlight lancing through the treetops turns to a more diffuse orange glow off to the west.

The party travels in Jeanne's footsteps through the forest, only Nathros' innate senses picking up the various changes in elevation. As the party tops a slight rise in the forest floor, Jeanne's keen hearing picks up the burble of a fast flowing river just before she spots it. Glimpses of a small dark keep sitting on the far bank of the river. Beyond the river sits a six-foot high stone wall wrapped around a small stone keep with two visible towers.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #583

Stefan scratches his chin and looks admiringly at the old keep. He says quietly, "well, if the goblins know anything about anything, they're in a pretty defensible location."

"I knew I should have bought that grappling hook..."

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

"A grappling hook wouldn't do that much good. I don't want to risk climbing when I'm wearing all this armor. I'd make a very big hole in the ground when I fell."

"Better to look for a ground-floor entrance or something. There might also be an entrance by the river or even underwater."

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, we ought to scout the place out before we try to enter. The goblins are more like to be abroad as the darkness deepens, so we will need to decide whether to attack or wait for the morrow. If they send out a another patrol to seek their missing fellows it will be much to our advantage."

16. - Top - End - #586

The present location seemed like a good one to remain unseen, at least if one stayed on the near side of the ridge. The land sloped downward toward the river, maybe a hundred yards away.

Spoiler
    Show
    This post is mostly a filler post as I wait to see what the party does next.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

"Let those of us who need to camp here under arms, and perhaps the elf would be willing to watch the stronghold for signs of the enemy. If they appear, we may catch and destroy them, or brave the fortress in their absence. If not, we will have sunlight and rest to our advantage on the morrow."

18. - Top - End - #588

Jeanne realized immediately upon topping the rise that it was both a good lookout and an highly visible location. As she backed down toward the group, the keep fell out of sight and a reasonably concealed campsite could be made. The woodsmen again followed Nathros' instructions and set up camp, this time much lower profile. No tents, no bedrolls, and the horse was walked back to the west and tied to a tree. A crude early warning system of sorts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Our new PCs will be along shortly. Do post what actions your PC takes next in the campsetting process, and I think the new PCs will likely be 'round before night fully falls.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

"Did you see that?" Talsarios whispered, pointing into the gathering darkness at the retreating figure on the rise. "That was never a goblin. That was some young hunter - or someone. Definitely not a goblin."

Talsarios peered from his hiding place amongst the undergrowth. His belly grumbled with hunger, he was getting cold and cramped from lurking in the damp hollow, and fear gripped him. He carefully shifted his backpack, ready to shrug it on again, ready to move.

He nudged his companion, and gestured toward the rise.
    "Might be an elf, now I think of it. Go on - go take a look!"

20. - Top - End - #590
    Halfling in the Playground

"That was an elf. Up a tree."
    Gregoras grinned uneasily at Talsarios, and quietly heaved himself up from the tangled weeds he had been hiding in. He stalked quietly forwards, leaving his pack near his learned friend and approached the retreating elf, picking up his pace a little to try to keep up.
    Better not loom out of the dark at her. Or him. Could be a him, it's an elf. Let's hope it isn't too twitchy with that bow.

As he drew within earshot, he leaned against the heavy bole of a tree and regarded her for a moment. Whether she was going to let fly arrows or not, she was the first chance of getting out of this wretched forest alive - maybe the only chance.

Gregoras cleared his throat loudly - a grating and unnatural sound in the stillness of the forest. He called out, a hoarse stage whisper to carry as far as it needed to... but pointedly as quietly as he could.

"I'm no goblin, don't shoot!"
    , he waved a gloved hand and peered around the damp trunk at the archer.
    "...I'm also nothing else but a man. Before you ask," he added as an afterthought.
    He got ready to duck behind the tree. Fast.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

Ye gods - is he trying to talk to him? Never send a servant to do your introductions... thought Talsarios, as he loped forward up the rise, hoping to smooth over any diplomatic issues.

Before long, he caught up and waved at the elf in what he hoped was a friendly manner - difficult to manage while also keeping one's head low in fear of goblin darts.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne halts immediately firmly rooted in her spot and completely baffled. "Of course not goblins, even hungry dogs don't whine while stalking prey. May be bandits. Catch me off guard. Elves could learn from human spontaneity." Jeanne turns to face the humans, shifting her eyes to infrared and taking in the surroundings. She draws an arrow but keeps her longbow pointing to the ground. "If we were on a road I could afford you a friendly greeting, you understand? State your names and business, please, otherwise I'll be on my way and will take action if you follow."

23. - Top - End - #593

Gregoras swallowed as he eyed the smooth motion of the arrow being nocked. He lowered his hand to rest against the comfortingly solid tree, and continued to peer around the edge.
    "Name's Gregoras. We're looking for help, not trouble," he spoke barely loudly enough for the words to carry to the elf, glancing from side to side as he spoke.

There's no point in delaying the inevitable, we need help and we need it now, he thought.
    Tension lined his gaunt features as he slid uneasily from behind the heavy bole, his gloved hands spread away from his body.
    "As you can see, I'm not readying an arrow or anything..."
    Gregoras paused as he glanced over his shoulder at the approaching Talsarios.

"This man is my friend too. We'd happily tell you all about our business, if we could share that fire you've got going over there, rather than filling us with arrows," he continued, a slight warning emphasis on the last part of his words directed towards his well-heeled companion.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ogre in the Playground

"Not my decision to make, you understand? 'Democratic process' I think you humans call it. Remain here, please, and we'll invite you to our site if necessary." Jeanne back peddles until Gregoras is out of sight and tells the rest of the group. "Two suspicious humans were tailing me in the woods. Said they needed help. Seemed sincere but could be trap. Wanted to warn you guys first so we can come to a decision."
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2011-05-03 at 06:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

"Could be a trap, but on the other hand it seems an irrational business for spies of the goblins to be men who would reveal their presence. I doubt that your wood craft is so feeble that the forests crawl with goblins undetected, and able to freely send their agents amongst us. Let two of us go out and question them, whilst Jeanne scours the woods for any unseen accomplices."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-05-03 at 06:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596

Stefan nods.

"Alright, Nath. I'll go with you." He looks hopeful, "maybe they are Lord Bost's men? The ones who we were looking for. They might have survived out here."

Stefan nods to Brandon reassuringly, then moves out to see Jeanne's suspicious humans. He's wearing his shield, but currently is unarmed.

He let's the experienced dwarf do the inital parley.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, that could have gone better... Let us slowly make our way down from this rise toward them, so that we aren't about to be assaulted by goblins and elves."
    With that, Talsarios patted his friend on the back and nonchalantly walked slowly toward the voices ahead.
    "Don't worry old chap, we all make mistakes. Let's see if I can get them on side, eh?" Talsarios said quietly to Gregoras. Then, calling out to the dwarf and the human, "Hello! We've gone exploring by mistake, and got sort of separated from the rest of our party ... in a somewhat - er - bloody encounter with some goblins. Can you help?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm approaching carefully, and casually, as if I just happened to be wandering in that direction. I'm not openly armed, and I'm doing my best friendly smile.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-04 at 12:52 PM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon accompanies the others as they go to parley with the strangers. He has a cool smile on his face, but his cold eyes scan the two strangers and his surroundings for any hint of danger, and his hands hold his bow and a single arrow.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

"Goblins, you say? Well, state your names and your business in these parts. These are dangerous lands for travellers, and it may well be a lucky happen stance that we have met in all this wilderness, but if you intend us some hidden mischief know that it will certainly go ill for you with us."

30. - Top - End - #600

Pausing only to reclaim his backpack, Gregoras trotted up behind Talsarios to meet with the strangers. He chanced an apprehensive smile, a slightly ghoulish expression in his case.
    Perhaps they've been fighting bandits... or maybe they are bandits, he thought, unhappily.

He looked sideways at Talsarios, hopefully. The young scholar was a persuasive and well thought of man. What could possibly go wrong?