Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930314671 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 630 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Fixing his gaze on each in turn with what he hoped was a winning smile, Talsarios began to introduce himself:"Quite so! I am Alastor Talsarios, leading scholar in the field of anthropology - perhaps you have read my treatise? no? No matter. I am visiting these lands to make a study of the indigenous humanoids and their fascinating primitive cultures." - the young man became quite excited as he continued - "Do you know some of these goblinoid tribe even practice cannibalism? Amazing! If you can call it cannibalism, the eating of other races... I haven't read of or observed them eating their own kind... but I digress."
    He lowered his voice and continued, pointing approximately to the respective landmarks and places as he mentioned them. "I have travelled out of the Empire via Specularum and Kelvin to this spot, most recently with a small party of retainers, who I am appalled to say have met their untimely end yonder at the nasty hands of the local goblins in that supposedly abandonned keep over there. Since then, having escaped, I have hidden in a hollow of undergrowth and observed disorganised and whimsical the comings and goings the goblins, in growing trepidation I might add, looking for an escape for a little more or less than a day now."
    Talsarios nods and looks at the small audience with a smile, adding: "And this is a man of my household, Gregaros."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-08 at 10:52 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon looks mildly more bewildered after Alastor Talsarios' explanation. He glances uncertainly at his companions and whispers.

    "I don't know about you, but to me he doesn't sound like a bandit or thief. He sounds like an egghead."

  3. - Top - End - #603
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Never known a goblin to quail at eating one of its own kind, which bodes a bad fate for your party. Might be some survivors if they took prisoners, they see more sport in the living than the dead. Seems like you had better stick with us for the time being, we intend to investigate the troubles here and put an end to them if we can. My name is Nathros, and these are my companions Brandon and Stefan." The dwarf does not seem overly perturbed to see that both have accompanied him. "And, of course, Jeanne you have already met."

    Assuming all are amiable, Nathros leads the new arrivals back to the camp site where they await the light of dawn to move against the goblin stronghold.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-05-08 at 04:04 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  4. - Top - End - #604
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Gregaros offered a wan smile and nodded with some enthusiasm at the invitation. He readily fell in behind Nathros, his eyes drifting to the fire ahead.
    Without the slightest ceremony he ditched his pack at the camp site, stripped off gloves from well-calloused hands and warmed himself at the fire, sinking wearily to his knees.

    "I don't think those goblins took prisoners. From us, that is," he muttered hoarsely, to nobody in particular.
    "I'd like to help. Fight them, I mean," he spoke a little louder, glancing toward Talsarios searchingly.
    "Although neither of us will be much help on empty stomachs. Our own provisions were lost to the goblins."
    As he spoke, he gestured at a bundle of rations by the campfire, and an expression that might have been a smile or a grimace crossed his face.

  5. - Top - End - #605
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios and Gregor find the camp a full one. In addition to the fully armored Brandon, the priest Stefan, and Nathros the dwarf, the camp was watched over by a pair of women, the elf Jeanne who had been scouting the area and Petrillia, a very young, very tall (for a Traladaran woman).

    Five burly looking men with axes on their belts sit around the fire impassively. The thinnest of them, a dark-haired man with a sly smile, introduces himself as Devin and his fellow woodsmen as "Lord Bost's men, Lann Bran, Ivan, and Markos the invincible." That last bit he says with a put-on smile, as Markos is badly wounded and pale as the moon.

    Talsarios or Gregor can lead anyone interested to the rise and point down toward the east side of the castle, just over the river, where their party was ambushed. No sign of the men, alive or dead, remains.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-09 at 01:10 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios nods to each of the woodsmen in turn. "Lord Bost? Is he local? I'm very glad of your hospitality. Perhaps we shall be able to exact revenge on the goblins after all - I assume that you intend to make some sort of attack, yes? My man and I may be weak, but I know a spell and I can use a sling."

  7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon twitches a little at the mention of magic and he glances in momentary alarm at Petrilia and Jeanne.

    Then he puts on a conciliatory expression and says smoothly, "Maybe you'd like to talk professionally with some of our friends here who share your interests."

    "Battle magic would be useful, though, for sure." He grins.

  8. - Top - End - #608
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan sits down heavily beside the wounded Markos and removes his helmet. Brushing his curly dark hair from his brow he smiles wearily.

    "You two seem quite the lot. Help yourselves to a meal, you won't be much of use if you starve to death." He gestures to the rations.

    The young cleric takes a drink from his wineskin, as if reminded of his own hunger. Then he asks, "have either of you seen any other human camps? Or even the remains of one? Our secondary objective was to find some of Lord Bost's men, and I had hoped to find them alive... but it seems less and less likely, now."
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-05-09 at 09:08 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #609
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Gregoras shook his head slightly at Stefan.
    "We've seen nothing of anyone else here before we saw Jeanne. The remains of our band are gone, taken by the goblins I'd have thought. Probably the same for anyone who came before."

    He carefully opened a sack of rations and deftly removed enough for a meal for two people, one of which he swiftly deposited within easy grasp of Talsarios. He then settled down with his back to the fire and busied himself eating.

  10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios idly picked at the food. He shook his head. "I suspect Gregoras is right - there was no sign of a civilised camp as we approached. And Brandon, I'm sorry, but my magic use stretches only to a simple charming spell. Not too useful in a battle, but if we can catch one of the little mites alone, it'll serve well. Me, I prefer to stop the fight before it starts - but I really didn't get the chance yesterday."
    Talsarios propped up his backpack and reclined against it, trying to make the most of the rough ground. He looked tried, but keen.
    "Oh my - my manners!" he blurted, sitting up. "I have quite forgotten to thank you for sharing your food! You must think me quite uncouth! It is most welcome. Some day I shall return the favour."

  11. - Top - End - #611
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The sun sets as the party parlays around the campfire. The forest sounds relatively quiet and no interruptions occur before nightfall.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to carry on with the roleplay and introduction as long as you like. When I sense you're done and we're on to night, I'll make the random encounter roll and otherwise move things along.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Twelve characters, so maybe six double watches?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "If you wish, I will take watch with one of you, and Gregroas with another at another time of the night - that way you are not leaving yourselves at the mercy of two strangers, yes?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios is just waiting to take his watch and / or get some sleep.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-11 at 04:22 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Right then; let us take turns through the night, but let Markos rest, for he was sorely wounded in the affray, and Jeanne may come and go as she wishes, ranging through the woods and keeping a watch upon the keep."

    First Watch: Brandon and Devin
    Second Watch: Talsarios and Lann
    Third Watch: Nathros and Petrilla
    Fourth Watch: Gregoras and Bran
    Fifth Watch: Stefan and Ivan
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-05-11 at 05:46 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon is fine with that schedule.

  16. - Top - End - #616
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Devin paces the campsite during his watch, stopping often over his wounded co-worker, Markos. As he and Brandon keep watch, everyone else begins their rest.

    Jeanne's elven alertness provides her the first warning, something, probably multiple somethings, approached from the west, opposite the castle.

    Spoiler
    Show
    This occurs late in the first watch. Jeanne made a successful Alertness skill roll to detect it early.

    She has one round to act. Then PCs and unknown enemy tied for initiative 6-6. So declare your actions and I'll state the enemies and they'll happen at the same time.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-11 at 10:35 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios turned over as he tried to get to sleep. Why is that elf moving around the camp so much? I'm trying to sleep here, he thought.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as Talsarios is alerted to the possible danger, he'll get up and retrieve his sling and bullets from his pack.

  18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Once alerted, Nathros readies his shield and hand axe before ensuring everyone else is awakened. If he gets the chance, he throws his hand axe at approaching enemies and then engages with his short sword.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[12]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[6]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  19. - Top - End - #619
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stirring at the sounds of imminent conflict, Gregoras drew a double-edged long sword and prepared to sell his life dearly.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gregoras will attempt to cut down any enemy that comes near him, and will take up a position near Talsarios initially. During the course of the battle he may move to support anyone who looks outnumbered.

  20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "On your feet, now! Something approaches to the west!"

    Jeanne moves to the north, maintaining visual towards the west while minimizing potential area damage. She has her longbow ready and taut.
    Last edited by jmbrown; 2011-05-12 at 08:47 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #621
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan wakes with a start at the elf's call to arms, throws his blanket off and dives instinctively for his armor, bowling it over and landing on his back. It would probably look fairly humourous if not for the present danger.

    He quickly begins donning the mail, while trying his best to ascertain who or what is going on.

    Spoiler
    Show
    First round spent donning plate mail.

  22. - Top - End - #622
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The woodsmen hurry to their feet and crowd around their fallen friend in defense. Shadows move through the underbrush and a hail of fist-sized stones fly into the campsite. One catches Bran square in the face but he stays on his feet. The rest clatter harmlessly off armor or whiz by ineffectively. Nathros' axe strikes true and the shadow nearest the camp falls to the ground. Jeanne puts an arrow into another and feels confident that it felled the little goblin.

    Spoiler
    Show
    DM roll for Jeanne.

    Players win initiative in round 2. Four shadowy figures can be seen 30 ft away.

    Nathros and Jeanne can spot all four with ease. They are spread out along the west side of the encampment. Jeanne can spy two others hanging back from the rest by about ten feet.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-13 at 08:28 AM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Goblins don't throw stones." Jeanne mutters arcane words and waves her hand over the group of shadows. "Sleep!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Cast sleep on the largest clump of enemies.

  24. - Top - End - #624
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan finishes hastily donning his armor. He readies his shield and mace while still kneeling on the ground.

    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2/2 AC: 2 THAC0: 19
    Behind cover if possible.

  25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Wielding his sling, Talsarios rushes forwards, looking for targets. I used to bull's-eye roe deer with this sling back home - they aren't much bigger than goblins, he thinks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    If he can see a threatening target, Talsarios will sling a bullet at it. If not, he'll dodge about to avoid being an easy target.

    EDIT: I'll put my stats in here, as requested:
    Current & Max HP: 1, THAC0: 19, AC: 9

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-13 at 03:40 AM. Reason: formatting of thought text

  26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Due to needing to edit my post because of formatting issues, the die roller has declared my rolls illegal. Sorry about that. I rolled high, but I'll roll again here:
    Attack roll (1d20)[13]
    Damage roll(1d4)[3]

  27. - Top - End - #627
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2011

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    HP:1/1, AC:6, THACO:19

  28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon staggers a bit as the stone hits him in the face. He blinks tears of pain away from his eyes as he tries to grab one of the burning sticks of wood from the campfire.

    Holding up the crude torch in one hand to light the way and his sword in the other, Brandon moves forward in a roundabout route, seeking to attack.


    Spoiler
    Show


    Roland, how much damage did Brandon take from the stone?

    If Bran can attack this round, he will. If not, he'll attack next round.

    Hit Points: 4/8 (maybe less by now).

    Attack: (1d20+1)[2]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]


  29. - Top - End - #629
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Jeanne's spell spreads out over the front line of goblins nearest the camp. All four of them collapse unceremoniously to the forest floor. The other two, seen only by Jeanne in the distance, turn and bolt.

    Talsarios launches a sling stone at the nearest shadow, and while he can't be sure, he doesn't think he hit anything.

    Brandon advances, torch in hand, and as he reaches the nearest goblin shape it falls to the ground before him apparently asleep.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Bran, the NPC woodsman, not Brandon, was struck with a stone in the face. Sorry for the confusion.

    Four goblins are asleep near the edge of the camp. Two others are now out of range of even Jeanne's sight.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  30. - Top - End - #630
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan pops his head up, fully equipped at last, and glances around groggily.

    "Hey, nice spell!" he says to Jeanne.

    Standing up and blinking the sleep out of his eyes he asks, "Was that all of them?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •