New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031324772 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #631
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Gregaros advanced on the sleeping goblins, exchanging his sword for a sharp-edged dagger, obviously intending to slit their throats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which he won't do if anyone protests.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios looks around in all directions, excited and ready for action. He smiles and swings his sling around nonchalantly when he sees the fallen goblin.
    "Well done that elf! I say, fellows - what's the law on goblins like around here, eh? If it isn't too much trouble, I'd like to keep one alive to interrogate," he says, holding up a staying hand to Gregoras.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon gasps with relief as the goblins fall asleep. He hadn't been looking forward to fighting in the dark with creatures that could see well.

He holds up his hand when someone mentions killing the goblins, "Wait."

He nods in agreement as Talsarios speaks. "If Talsarios can use magic to make them reliably answer questions, then there is no need to kill at least one of them."

He smiles at Jeanne. "Was that your spell, Jeanne? Thank you. I hate to fight in the dark this way."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2011-05-15 at 04:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, now, um - Brandon, isn't it? Yes, Brandon, I wouldn't say reliably, as there is always an inherent uncertainty in magics of any sort - but were I to wager, I would not wager on a failure of the spell, d'you see?"
    Talsarios moves over to the fallen goblins in the dark, and peers at them, warily.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm looking for any distinguishing marks that might suggest one of these sleeping goblins is any higher ranking or cleverer than the others. If there is one, I'll point it out and suggest we keep that one alive. Otherwise, I'll just select one that looks weaker (again, if there are any). Failing that, I'll pick the least smelly one.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-16 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros retrieves his axe. "Not much use for prisoners out here. If they answer our questions all well and good, but I doubt any of us will stay our hands once we see what has been going on at the keep."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #636
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan clears his throat nervously and nods in agreement with Nathros.

"We'll see if the spell works on one. Information could be useful. But we should be quick about what we do with the other ones, before they wake up."

7. - Top - End - #637

Gregaros hunched over the sleeping goblins, swiftly removing the fallen weapons from easy reach while their fate was discussed.

"Would they care enough about their own to make it worth us taking hostages?" he whispered.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios thinks about how goblins would likely react to hostage taking...
    Knowledge (Humanoid cultures) check: (1d20)[14]

9. - Top - End - #639
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

To Talsarios, all four goblins look pretty much the same. Well-dressed for a goblin, but not any cleaner than usual. There is one slightly smaller, though not significantly so.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios is uncertain what they might do about prisoners. He'd think they probably would not care or negotiate, those that got caught would be viewed as failures.

Nathros would be fairly sure that they would probably do their best to attack him when they awoke. Dwarvenkind and goblinkind have an age old enmity, which goblins seem to lack the will to set aside.

The clock is ticking on the sleep spell. So if there's executing to be done, someone should declare it firmly.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-16 at 12:48 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, they won't care."
    Talsarios looks around at the woodsmen and adventurers, then back to the goblins. With a faint sneer of disgust and revulsion, the Thyatian scholar appears to have steeled himself to some decision.
    "This one," he says, indicating one of the sleeping goblins. "We should interrogate this one. Kill the others, quickly - and bind the prisoner."

He returns to his pack to fetch his notebook and inkpen, not looking back.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-05-16 at 12:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #641

Stefan grimaces, then nods at Gregaros, in tacit agreement with what Talsarios said.

He's clearly not as stoic as the mage.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-05-16 at 03:53 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642

Gregaros wordlessly moved from body to body over the three goblins, pausing momentarily over each one. He stepped back, wiping blood from the blade of his dagger and stared blindly into the darkness in the direction from which they had come, a crease in his scarred brow.
    "It's done," his voice was a hiss barely above the sound of the breeze.

He returned the dagger to a scabbard at his hip and promptly set to dragging the corpses into the bushes downwind of the camp.

Once the three bodies were removed, he returned to his bedroll, a look of profound weariness on his face, and sank down to sit untidily and peer at the embers of the fire.
    Slitting the throats of a sleeping enemy. A fine hero I will make.

Spoiler
    Show
    He thanks anyone who assists in dragging the corpses. He doesn't loot the bodies, or touch them for any longer than he absolutely has to.

13. - Top - End - #643

Stefan helps Gregaros move the bodies away from the camp.

He mentions while dragging a corpse, "I've seen my share of these at funary services in the church. Not goblins, of course, but still..."

Taking a page out of his friend Sid's book, he checks the dead goblins cautiously for valuables, though he looks reluctant about the task.

---

Back at the camp, Stefan asks if anyone was injured during the attack.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-05-16 at 06:26 PM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

"Rest easy, Gregaros. These creatures wouldn't hesitate to do the same to you. You gave them a painless end which is more than their kind deserves."

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, then. Let us see what we can learn from this one, and perhaps we may yet use him to enter the stronghold by deception or lure more of his kind out into the open to be dealt with more easily."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

16. - Top - End - #646

Gregaros liberates the goblins' weapons with ease.

Stefan quickly removes their coin purses and pats them down in just the way he'd seen Sid do before. These goblins seem as unusually well-heeled as the last group.

Back at camp, Stefan can see to Bran's injury. His face is swollen already and bleeding slightly. The woodsman seems to be bearing it well, but it's obviously taken a lot out of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bran, the woodsman, took 1 hp of damage. Stefan makes a healing skill check (1d20)[19] to heal it up. (Which is not successful.)

Net treasure:
    80 sp
    10 cp
    4 spears
    3 daggers
    2 short swords
    And their clothing, if desired.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-17 at 07:55 PM.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios moves over to Gregoras and pats him on the back with a grim setting of the lips and a nod of approval. He returns to the sleeping goblin, a note book tucked under one arm.
    Looking for Jeanne the elf, quietly he whispers, "Can you keep back as far as you dare and be ready to shoot the little blighter if he proves false. I'm going to wake him up with a little charm..."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that as no-one has said they've tied up the goblin, he's not yet tied?
    That fits better with my plan than I thought - helps him feel we're being friendly when I cast my spell.

Without tying up or waking up the goblin, Talsarios casts Charm Person - then reaches forward to shake the goblin awake.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros moves into the tree line to avoid catching the sight of the waking goblin, and looks for signs of tracks or more enemies in the darkness.

19. - Top - End - #649

Stefan sits nearby with his shield and mace resting beside him, but tries to act like he doesn't really notice or care what Talsarios or the goblin are doing.

He yawns as the adrenaline of battle wears off, then shakes his head and blinks his eyes. His wavy black hair is something of a mess from being helmeted all day.

Mentally he tries to go over his first aid and healing training, feeling that he must be forgetting some of the basics.
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-05-18 at 09:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #650

Gregaros rose again from the bedroll and stalked around to crouch a short distance behind the goblin captive, his sword drawn but partially concealed by his tatty cloak. He nodded towards Talsarios.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the goblin attempts to attack Talsarios, Gregaros will strike it down from behind preferably with a backstab but otherwise with a regular stab.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sat down on a nearby rock with a groan. "I hope we can get through the rest of the night without more fighting. I'm sore wounded, and I need to recuperate."

Then he watches the magician Talsarios interrogate the goblin captive.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Jeanne shrugs her shoulders and finds a hidden vantage point to draw down on the goblin.

23. - Top - End - #653

Nathros finds no other tracks at the camp's edge beyond those of the four felled goblins. He and Jeanne take up positions from which to strike the surviving goblin, and the woodsmen tend to their second wounded member. Others remain watchful from the camp.

The goblin wakes with a start, his red eyes glowing eerily as they open. He rolls on to his back and sits up cautiously. "What?" he barks out or at least that's what it sounds like. His eyes lock on Talsarios. It was difficult to tell whether the green-skinned goblin was charmed or just stunned.
    Forum Rules

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

A harsh change comes over the scholar's voice as he speaks in the goblin's own tongue. "Don't worry, you're safe. Your stupid fellows attacked us, so we killed them all, but I've saw that you are my friend and spared you. Good thing I was here, yes? I hope I can prove that I was right to save you, so my fellows won't kill you. If you help me, we can both do well out of it, I think.
    "So tell me, why are you so rich? You have a lot of shiny weapons and silver coins - more than the other goblin tribes. Very impressive. Maybe you can tell me the secret of the riches, so I can be rich too. You want your friends to be rich, so they can help you, yes?"

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros listens to the proceedings, but also keeps a wary ear out for more goblins in the woods, or worse!

26. - Top - End - #656

The goblin's eyes narrow to red pinpoints as he listens to his new friend. It was more words all at once than he'd heard in the last couple days. He nodded slowly. "The tribe is strong. The wise king guides us and supplies us." He indicates his sash and scabbard before noticing his short sword is missing. With a slight snarl he continues.

"You want to be rich, you talk to the king," and with that he begins walking in the direction of the castle, apparently leading you there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios' initial claim that he was "the" expert on such things is likely overstated, but he's well aware that a goblin king is rare - it's tough to collect, feed, and control so many goblins and when a goblin king does exist, it usually makes for stronger, better equipped, and more dangerous goblins. Perhaps even legendary goblin mages.

Nathros will be familiar with these legends in less detail.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hold on! Wait - my fellows can't come before your king. Your warriors will kill them."
    Talsarios jumps up and runs to get in front of the goblin.
    "You must have many warriors under a king. He must be mighty... How many? All up in the keep? Where did he come from? How long has he ruled?"
    Talsarios seems suddenly genuinely interested and excited now, his carefully chosen words giving over to keen questions.

28. - Top - End - #658

The goblin pauses momentarily, "Bah, leave them. I can get you in, friend."

Faced with the persistent mage, the goblin answers, "Many. Many serve the king. Since the first snow he has ruled.

Come, I will take you."
    He veers to take a path around Talsarios, reaching to take him by the arm if permitted.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-05-20 at 03:29 PM.
    Forum Rules

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios shies away from being led by the goblin, but follows, slowly.
    "How will you get me past all your fellows? Won't they attack non-goblins on sight?" he asks.
    As surreptitiously as he can, the scholar beckons to Jeanne and Gregoras - or to where he thinks they are in the dark...

30. - Top - End - #660

"You're with me, friend," he offers with what seems to be a goblin smile. He looks over his shoulder to be sure his tall pal is still with him. "You're with me now, and don't worry, you're not the only big one."
    Forum Rules