Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros maintains a stoic demeanour, and concentrates on the task at hand. He retrieves his gear as the approaches the dock, and upon arrival quickly disembarks, thanking the boatmen, and waiting for his companions to assemble before deciding on a course of action.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Once the barge docked, Brandon would haul his gear onto shore, then find a secluded spot where he can change out of his clothes and put on his padding and then his armor.

    He would then string his bow and return to the dock, his blue eyes uncharacteristically solemn underneath his helm.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    At the lumber camp dock rests a true barge, a large, low vessel that probably could hold enormous amounts of lumber. The boatmen easily maneuver the small keelboat to the otherside of the dock and assist the passengers off. Just beyond the dock lies the lumber camp and no discernable trail leads to the south, though that's where Lord Bost indicated the mill would be.

    "Head south along the riverbank. You'll be there in no time,"
    calls out the boatman. "And head back to this camp when yer done. Good luck."

    The lumbercamp sits on a wide open plain extending east of the river. The grasses are cut or merely trampled for quite a ways around the camp. A very wide and well-worn road heads off to the north east, but tall grasses fill the space to the east and south along the river. The mill isn't visible from the dock, but it didn't seem to far away on the boat ride.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-07 at 05:23 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "I'll take the flank." Jeanne positions herself in the back and watches the road ahead. The area seems safe but one can never be too careful.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhardt

    Stefan smiles and winks at Sid when reminded of their adventures together. Those were good times. And yeah... once again we're in this together, but this time it's a bit more serious, or at least dangerous.

    As the boat lands, Stefan too puts on his armor once again. I guess we had better get going, then, he suggests, waiting for someone to take the lead.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid took the lead, unless someone else decides to take it, which he wouldn't attempt to prevent. He was mostly familiarizing himself with the area, making sure that he'd know his way back, always wanting to be conscious of his escape route. As everyone geared up, he mumbled, "Oh, okay. Not like anything's going to pop out at us, here, in the middle of the day," and he'd ready his own bow.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon smiled encouragingly at the others, hoisted his shield at his back, and started to walk south along the riverbank as the bargemen directed, his bow in one hand and an arrow in the other.

    He moved in tandem with Sid Aimes, only somewhat more noisily. Even if he were a thief like Sid, you couldn't move quietly in plate mail.

    He kept looking back and forth, hoping to notice any hostile animals or creatures early so he could shoot at them. Despite his earlier encouraging smile, once he turned his back, his expression and body language were both tense.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros shoulders his spear and follows after Brandon and Stefan, content for Jeanne to guard the rear. [A de facto marching order!]
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The riverbank rises and falls slightly, sometimes dipping to the water level and other times rising to a height of several feet above the water. Tall grasses make for a slower walk than the trail from Threshold to Bost's manor. A occasional rustling can be heard in the tall grass, but the sound moves away rather than toward the well armored group. Before long, the old mill comes into sight, a sturdy two-story building easily as large as Bost's manor. Various boarded over areas on both stories likely hide windows and a large main door, slightly ajar, can be seen on the north side of the building.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-08 at 10:43 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Even though they were moving out in the open and in broad daylight, Brandon nodded his helmeted head in the direction of the rustles and whispered to the others, "Animals, I think."

    He continued to walk cautiously towards the main entrance, ahead but not too far ahead of his companions. Once he reached it, he risked peeking into the building.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Let's circle around and scout the perimeter before entering. I don't want anything sneaking up behind us. We should wedge the door as well to ensure a fast egress if necessary."

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon halted and nodded to Jeanne, murmuring, "Good idea. I didn't think of that."

    His face was flushed in embarrassment, but not too much. After all, he was only 17.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    At the rustling sound, Sid sprang away and barked, "Alright, show yourself!" Unless someone actually did show themselves, he'd, "Oh. Okay. Just animals," at Brandon's suggestion.

    When Jeanne suggested scouting the perimeter, though, his caution flared up again. Was that just some animal? Well, ghosts don't go out during the day. Ah, probably just one of the guys, keeping me on my toes. He'd nod at Jeanne and start checking around the side of the mill opposite her, looking to get this done quickly.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros keeps a watch on the main door whilst the perimeter is scouted.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Moving to the east side of the mill reveals it to be much larger than it appears from the north. Walking the length of the building reveals four windows, now boarded over and regular door almost at the southeast corner. Around the southside of the mill another large main door, this one boarded shut and sporting a large, rusty lock.

    The mill sits right on the riverbank with a large waterwheel, now tangled with river grass, resting in the water. The area around the mill is quiet, but one can hear the river lapping against the now-fixed wheel and a slight creak of the mill in the wind.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon continued circling the building until he was back at the northern entrance. He nodded to Nathros.

    "Two other entrances at the southern end. One is locked. Windows boarded all up."

    "I think I'd rather go through the main entrance the way Lord Bost's men did, or at least look."


    He cautiously peered through the gap into the building.

    If he sees nothing unusual, he will throw the doors wide open so everyone else can see inside, too.

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid checked the regular door on the southeast corner, first to see if it looks to have been used recently or regularly, and second to actually see if he can open the thing. Whatever he found, unless it was something requiring immediate attention, he made his way back to the front door.
    Last edited by TruorTupnm; 2010-10-10 at 02:34 PM.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The southeast door is boarded shut and shows no sign of recent use.

    Brandon can see very little given the darkness inside the boarded building. The floor just inside the open door seems to be wide wooden plank, well-work with some scuffing in an otherwise thick layer of dust. Seeing more than a few inches inside the door before opening it is futile for the young man.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Nothing came out as far as we can tell. We can take heart that whatever scared off the workers is still inside." Jeanne shifts her eyes to infravision and beckons Brandon and Sid forward.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid "Huh!"ed and nervously muttered, "Take heart. Yeah. Right." Seeing that it was too dark inside, he lit a torch, then swung it through the doorway. "Alright you ghosts! We're here for our mill! Go find some cemetery to haunt!"

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope.

    Hear Noise (30% chance of helping) ---> (1d100)[28] Alertness (his Dexterity is 14) ---> (1d20)[16]
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhradt

    Stefan gets behind Sid, trying to cover him with his sling, should it be necessary.

    Edit: He lets Brandon step ahead of him - no need to get too close to the fronline.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-10-11 at 08:21 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon went in alongside Sid, bow and arrow in hand, ready to shoot anything that seems hostile.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Jeanne scowled. "Please wipe your feet before entering. You were courteous enough to announce yourself so let us not be lax with the pleasantries!"

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros stands to the rear, and holds the door open, allowing his companions to conduct the initial exploration.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Jeanne's infravision reveals very little, the walls have been warmed by the sun and are warmer than the wooden floor or interior of the mill. No other shapes appear, but Sid's torch quickly forces her to switch back to normal vision to avoid being blinded.

    The enormous door is in fact a double door only half of which has been unboarded. It swings open far enough to permit entrance and Sid's torch illuminates the immediate area.

    Inside the mill, nothing seems amiss. The space is essentially one large room with two tracks where logs were brought through. To the left, a large rusty blade protrudes from the floor and to the right a large pit is dug to the right of a long groove in the wood-planked floor.

    Jeanne notices immediately that it is not quite all one room. The wall running along the east side of the building is not the exterior wall - it is ten or so feet too soon and it lacks exterior windows.

    Sid listens carefully and detects a scratching sound from off to the right. It sounds almost like a very slow sawing.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon looks around, trying to ascertain if the space is large and uncluttered enough for arrow work, or if he should switch to his sword.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roland, may I ask about the dimensions and also the number of significant obstacles in the room?

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid looked down at his feet reflexively, then shot Jeanne a betrayed glare. "Hey! They're the trespassers, this time! Most will run away, when you start making noise, you know." With the torch keeping him from using his bow, he wielded his sword, then eyed the pit as he headed past it (or to it?), looking for the source of the noise. "Anyway, I heard something over here. Sounds like something's snoring."
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Mr. Bor, in which direction will the trespassers run? Through a boarded window? A locked door? Every entrance is an exit and vice versa."

    Once inside the mill, Jeanne is immediately on guard with her bow ready and drawn. "A false wall? Is there a lever somewhere?"

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon looked at Jeanne strangely.

    "Is that a trick question? There's only one entrance that isn't boarded up. The one we just came through. Trying to smash through a boarded window will hurt."

    Then he glanced at Sid. "Snoring?"

    He follows after Sid, keeping pace, bow in hand.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid shrugged and said, "I don't know. Maybe. Sounded like snoring. Or maybe sawing. I just didn't think that any of the loggers would be here." He "Urk!"ed at an obvious possibility. "Oh. Well, it could be the ghost of one. Stefan, get over here and check this noise out!" As he tried to pinpoint the source of the sound, he checked around for a lever, since Jeanne seemed to think that there might be one nearby.

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope.

    Here are some more rolls. Tell me if you want me to just roll a bunch of these at once or what. ---> Hear Noise (30% chance) ---> (1d100)[91] Alertness (Dexterity 14) ---> (1d20)[7]
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •