New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #931
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

The doorway to the room remains open and the woodsman, all of them, stand watch at it. They seem to be very purposefully ignoring the discussion going on behind them as they watch intently through the doorway.

Spoiler
    Show

I feel like this is important character development and group decision making. So carry on. The universe goes on outside this room, of course, as the discussion continues.

Also, the healing attempt in post #921 is a duplicate of a prior (unsuccessful) attempt immediately after the big room combat. Does that count as a prior "use" of the skill on a set of wounds? Probably.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon shrugs. "I guess it would be okay if we rested outside back in the forest."

"They'll still find us if they try, but they may want to regroup instead. I believe we have killed most of their forces already, and I think we killed their leader."
    He shakes the keys they found on the goblin that almost killed him, making the metal articles jingle.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, Brandon," says Talsarios softly, "I think he was only a lieutenant, or sergeant. The goblin I charmed spoke of a King, and a complex below the keep. The King will be more distinct, more significant. It will be down there that we find their leader, I believe."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-08-09 at 08:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks blankly at Talsarios, then his mouth falls open and he widens his eyes.

"And you want to go after him without resting? If you're right, his -sergeant- nearly killed me. The gob king is bound to be tougher, or else his sergeant would have overthrown him and be king himself."

5. - Top - End - #935
    Ogre in the Playground

"Without resting, me? No. I want to go home and take Gregaros's ashes with me - but if you colonials will insist on pressing on, I'm hardly able to fend for myself in the wilds."

Talsarios looks around at the rest of the adventurers. "I suspect we have only two options, with some minor variations within them. Do we press on, without the healing succour of rest, and try to take whatever advantage we have in surprise - or do we rest in some relatively secure place, and hope that while we delay, our enemy's preparations are minimal?"

The scholar shrugs. "Neither seem good to me, but for myself, I would rather rest, so that I may at least cremate my loyal servant and companion before we move on.
    "Let us perhaps show hands for each proposal, then thrash out the detail once a broad course is chosen."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-08-09 at 04:29 PM. Reason: formatting clarity

6. - Top - End - #936
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Well, I'm for leaving, like I said before." Stefan lifts his hand to show his vote.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us be about it, then. Gather up the gear of the slain, perhaps we can work up a makeshift bier on which to bear Gregaros. Someone keep an eye out for the goblins, Jeanne perhaps?"

Nathros begins gathering up the gear, and tests the sturdiness of spears for construction of a bier.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #938

Brandon has already collected up the valuables of the fallen, and with four extra sets of hands both the goods and the body of Gregaros can be quickly borne back to the courtyard, and by fording the river, back into the woods. No sound of activity or sign of movement interrupts the retreat.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon takes the rear guard. Since everyone else has their back to him, they may not see the look of relief on his round face that the party chose to retreat for now instead of continuing to search for goblins.

He really wasn't looking forward to more fighting, and he won't feel at all confident until he's had more rest.

He keeps looking over his armored shoulder to make sure no goblins are watching or following after the party.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2011-08-14 at 04:24 AM.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

With stoic bearing, Talsarios carries his friend's body away. Once in the woods, he sets about gathering stout logs of fallen wood and building a pyre.

"Stefan," he asks as he gathers the wood, "do you know the Thyatian rites for the passing of the soul? I would send his shade on with all home customs, since I cannot wholly bear his body back home."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-08-14 at 12:40 PM.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

"Shall we set a watch? I am willing to go first."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

12. - Top - End - #942

A suitable spot can be found just over the small ridgeline out of sight of the keep. Brandon sees no immediate pursuit. The day passes into late afternoon as the camp is hastily made.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    "Shall we set a watch? I am willing to go first."
    Brandon Bor

Brandon shakes his head at Nathros' suggestion.

"You can see in the dark. You should go later, after sunset."

He takes a deep breath and looks pained as he volunteers, "I'll go first."

Then he mutters, almost under his breath, "Immortals, I hate armor sometimes." He desperately wants to get out of his and into clothes that are clean and not covered in goblin blood and his own.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I did not mean to suggest we set a watch in daylight, but your point is well taken, though it leads me to wonder how long we will skulk here in the woods."

15. - Top - End - #945

"I'll take a watch too, maybe last watch so I get the light of dawn to help me see."

Stefan prepares to rest.

16. - Top - End - #946

The woodsmen set a perimeter of their own as the others discuss the night's watch schedule. As soon as that talk dies down, they ask about what happened within the keep and what the plan is now. They seem in awe at the number of goblin bodies in the great hall.

Devin asks whether he, or someone else, should try to keep an eye on the keep.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looks at the others for reactions, then replies to Devin, "During the daytime, I do. While you can still see."

"But what do the others say?"

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

While Talsarios puts the last logs on the pyre, he looks up at Brandon's question. "It sounds like a good plan, but I'm not sure the goblins will come directly from the keep. There are rooms and tunnels of some sort under the keep, that much is plain from what our charmed goblin said. The drawbridge to the keep's surface rooms seemed unused, and I doubt they struggled through the stream to get in and out - they're too short to wade it.
    "However, setting an early warning watch would be advisable, I'm sure. The goblins must surely come from that general direction, and perhaps we will see them as they cross the open ground.
    "Jeanne and Nathros, your peoples can see in the dark, it's said - but how well? Just like you see in the day, or some shorter distance, some lesser detail, or better, even? Though, away from our camp, even human eyes adjust to the dark."

19. - Top - End - #949

Stefan aids Talsarios with the pyre. He offers funeral rites for Gregaros, to set his soul at peace.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

"What advantage my people have by night is best suited to tunnels and other confined works underground. Certainly we cannot see any great distance in the dark, and even then it is not like our vision in the daytime."

Nathros walks the perimeter that the woodsmen have set, and pays his respects at the pyre being built. "A cairn might have been safer for us," he remarks.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-08-17 at 12:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #951

Devin signals the others to assist with helping people out of their armor and other menial tasks. He then takes his bow back toward the ridge, just far enough to see the keep beyond. Maintaining a low profile behind one of the larger oaks, he watches.
    Forum Rules

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon sits and makes himself comfortable, his sword unsheathed and lying across his armored lap.

He looks vaguely unhappy that he isn't going to get to rest like the others, but sacrifices must be made if no one else is to die.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brandon will stay on guard until sunset, at which point he will wake one of the others (probably Nathros or Stefan) and get some rest himself.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros laments that he left his hand axe in the skull of a goblin back at the keep.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wake me at first light, if you would, and I shall watch then."
    Spoiler
    Show
    As the sun sets, Talsarios picks out some bone fragments and ash from the embers of the pyre, and stashes them away in a pouch.

25. - Top - End - #955

Night falls as the pyre cools to mere embers. Normal wildlife moves through the forest. The watch neither sees nor hears activity at the keep or anything closer.

Spoiler
    Show

No wandering monsters.
    All PCs regain 2 hp.
    All NPCs now at their full HP.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

As much as his fatigue and wounds will let him, Brandon stays tense all during his watch and even in his sleep. He actually looks surprised that the party is not attacked for hours.

By the time everyone is looking much better, even himself, he asks in a hopeful tone, "Any of you want to rest more?"

27. - Top - End - #957

"I'm fine either way. You still look a little banged up."

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios returns from the dawn watch and seeks out Jeanne.

"I wonder,"
    he begins, tentatively, "if you might do me a great honour. I came to these lands seeking knowledge, and I have found conflict and death. You are a trained warrior and caster, and effective in battle. My spell book is poor against such a challenge...
    "Your spell, I know, is useless against your kind, so I could not - were I able to, and should I want to - use it against you or your kin. If you would teach it to me, because I trust you are honourable, in return, I will teach you my spell - which will be most effective against me and my kind. See, I would give, without taking, if you are willing.
    "What say you, Jeanne?"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-08-22 at 02:19 PM. Reason: formatting

29. - Top - End - #959

The woodsmen are efficient at striking the camp. Brann for his part looks much better, his face bruised but not too bloodied. Even Markos, who was at death's door not long ago was looking fairly able bodied. Lord Bost had apparently sent some of his hardiest men on this mission, though warriors they were not.
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros shoulders his spear and prepares to undertake whatever action is determined by the party.