Page 36 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1126272829303132333435363738394041424344454661 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Those were Bug-bears, though I am assuming this from descriptions only," says Talsarios - then he turns sternly on the frightened warrior:
    "Brandon, buck up and stop whining! We're all taking risks! I'm an academic, not a war-mage. I presently have no magic that will be of use in a fight. So I do what I can. I will use my powers when I see fit."

    Spoiler
    Show
    For clarity: Talsarios is annoyed with Brandon, not me with Frivolous.
    I worry a little about being mean in-character, in case it's taken the wrong way.

  2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyceios View Post
    Stefan kneels down to steady himself. "Wow, those were some huge goblins! What did you call them, Tal? Antbears?"

    "My guess is those guys were just a part of some honour-guard to this king. Who knows, maybe the king himself is an antbear!"

    Stefan wipes his brow, then stands up. "Oh, is everyone ok?" He notices the huge dent in Brandon's armor and rushes over to help.

    "It's a good thing you're built so solidly, Bran. Otherwise those things woulda had us for dinner."

    He attempts to administer healing on Brandon's wounds.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal skill (Int 9): [roll0]
    "Thanks, Stef."

    Brandon breathes a bit easier as the cleric treats the large bruise.

    "Yeah, I also hope the goblin king isn't as big as these guys were."

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    "Those were Bug-bears, though I am assuming this from descriptions only," says Talsarios - then he turns sternly on the frightened warrior:
    "Brandon, buck up and stop whining! We're all taking risks! I'm an academic, not a war-mage. I presently have no magic that will be of use in a fight. So I do what I can. I will use my powers when I see fit."

    Spoiler
    Show
    For clarity: Talsarios is annoyed with Brandon, not me with Frivolous.
    I worry a little about being mean in-character, in case it's taken the wrong way.
    Brandon looks peeved at the accusation of whining.

    He opens his mouth to argue some more, but he doesn't know enough about magic to argue convincingly, so he doesn't say anything further about that.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I completely understand the difference between OOC and IC, so no problem.

    Unless someone decides to do something un-party-like such as threaten the other members for small reason, but that's another story. Happened to me once. I didn't take it well at all.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2011-09-24 at 12:26 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Bug-bears. Right." Stefan corrects himself awkwardly.

  4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros waits for the rest of the party to catch up, and peers through the door. "Pass me my spear, somebody. Now where did I leave that hand axe?"
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon looks unhappy at Nathros' clear interest in continuing to search and fight more goblins and bugbears, but he says nothing to that. He just wipes his sword clean of humanoid blood on the edge of his cloak and prepares to fight.

  6. - Top - End - #1056
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros peeks into the room, finding it empty. The fallen goblins have been removed, blood now joining the dirt on the great hall's floor. The sentry room doors still hang open, one of them somewhat charred, and the three doors on the far wall remain closed. The double door lies straight ahead on the opposite wall, and two normal single doors lie to either side of it.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Keep alert for traps, lads," he whispers. Nathros cautiously enters the room and checks through one of the guardroom doors for signs of enemies.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon seems calm again now that he's actually in a crisis. He seems to lose his grip these days only between battles, not during.

    "If we find some goblins and kill most of them, I want Talsarios to Charm the last one for us. We need better information about their defenses and traps. His magic is the easiest way we can get it."

    He walks towards the doors with Nathros, sweeping his gaze before him and moving slowly and carefully.

  9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios nods determinedly and pumps a fist of solidarity at Brandon. "Now you're talking: I can do that. We'll have our vengeance yet."
    He squeezes past the woodsmen as they demolish the last of the rubbish barrier, and looks around to retrieve his missed sling bullets.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-09-26 at 05:12 AM. Reason: updated state of barrier

  10. - Top - End - #1060
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan helps to find his and Talsarios' sling bullets while the barrier comes down the entire way behind them.

  11. - Top - End - #1061
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros spies no new activity in the great room, and the woodsmen clear the rest of the debris out into the courtyard in a couple minutes time. The men seem unfazed by the labor and await further orders.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Bran waits while the two find the used sling bullets.

    Then he nods to Nathros and murmurs, "Continue, I guess?"

    If the dwarf agrees, the young fighter tells the hirelings, "Just wait here. Yell if anything comes by," and continues to carefully move forward, looking and tapping before he takes each step.

    Perspiration once again begins to gleam upon his furrowed brow.

  13. - Top - End - #1063
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan echoes Brandon to the workmen, "Yeah, just wait here. And stay vigilant. We'll all meet up at the camp if we get separated."

    Stefan then moves into his position in the second row of the party, behind the fighter and the dwarf.

  14. - Top - End - #1064
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros looks into one of the guard chambers, seeking his errant hand axe.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  15. - Top - End - #1065
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Chaps," says Talsarios, addressing the woodsmen as a whole, "if anything turns up that you think you can't handle, please flee. I wouldn't want you all to die on our behalves."
    With that, the adventurous scholar joins his fellows, sling in hand, next to Stefan.

  16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    At Talsarios' comment Jeanne adds wryly "I would appreciate some loud screams if you do run. I'd rather not have whatever chased you off to sneak up and bite us in the arse."

  17. - Top - End - #1067
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The guardrooms appear empty, save for some burned up furniture in room previously engulfed in flames. No sign of bodied or lost weapons, Nathros' or others.

    Devin nods at the various instructions. "We'll bring up the rear."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-09-27 at 03:24 PM.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  18. - Top - End - #1068
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon carefully steps out into the big room where he had nearly died, moving slowly across it, tense and expecting an attack at any moment.

    Once he is into the room by a few feet, he looks around, then nods ahead to the three doors at the other end of the room and says to Nathros, "Which door do we open first?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Roland, am I right in recalling that we never entered any of those three doors at the room's other side?
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2011-09-28 at 06:26 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios lights his lantern and holds it aloft, looking at the doors. "Let us see if we can work out where our bugbear pals came from, eh?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios looks for clues to which of the three doors might have been opened recently - as well as glancing about for that other stuff I posted in the OOC thread.

  20. - Top - End - #1070
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "When in doubt, right is as good as left." Nathros heads towards the door on the right hand side after checking the remaining guard room for signs of activity.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-09-28 at 08:17 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  21. - Top - End - #1071
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    "When in doubt, right is as good as left." Nathros heads towards the door on the right hand side after checking the remaining guard room for signs of activity.

    Brandon nods and grimly prepares to cut in half any goblin or bugbear beyond the door once Nathros opens it.

  22. - Top - End - #1072
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan follows the group, readying his shield and sling.

  23. - Top - End - #1073
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The right-hand door opens easily, startling the the occupant of this chamber of horrors. Twenty feet deep and about that wide, the room beyond is a clutter of wood, metal, and parts of various carcasses, all coated liberally with blood. A goblin butcher turns to face the visitors, cleaver in hand, but it is his large dog, or perhaps wolf, that attacks first.

    It lunges at Nathros, but catches only his armor in its teeth.

    Spoiler
    Show

    No surprise round, the wolf was more aware of the party than it was of him. The goblin, though, will be slow to act.

    Baddies win initiative, but the wolf misses. Also, one experienced with wolves and/or goblins might recognize it as a dire wolf.

    PC's turn.

    Also, I'm not sure I acknowledged it before, but Stefan's last healing attempt on Brandon was a success.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-09-30 at 01:59 PM.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon shouts, "Everyone, kill the wolf! Then Talsarios, charm the butcher!"

    Then he chops at the wolf's neck, trying to slay it before it can strike Nathros again.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Hit Points: 4/8.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[4]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[8]


  25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "By the beard of Durin, a wolf!" Nathros draws his sword and drives forward, shield raised to ward of the gnashing teeth of the dire wolf.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level One Dwarf: AC 5(3); HP 4(3); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[14]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[4]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  26. - Top - End - #1076
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan fires at the wolf if he can get a clear shot.

    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2/2 AC: 2 THAC0:19
    To Hit: (1d20)[13]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

  27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios keeps back a moment and intones the words of his spell, working his fingers in arcane symbols.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He casts Charm Person on the goblin

  28. - Top - End - #1078
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Everyone was well-spread out around the doorway, easily in position to attack. Nathros bashed and slashed the wolf off of him and Stefan hit it with a well-placed sling shot.

    Brandon chopped behind the beast, erring on the side of not slicing into his companion.

    Talsarios' spell takes hold in the goblin butcher's mind and he lowers his blade to his side.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    This wolf seemed much bigger up close than the ones they had encountered on their way to the goblin keep. Fearful, Brandon incoherently cried, "Let's chop this hot doggie down!"

    Then he mutters, "What did I say?"

    Spoiler
    Show


    Hit Points: 4/8.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[14]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[7]


  30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros also goes in for the kill:

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level One Dwarf: AC 5(3); HP 4(3); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[9]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[6]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •