Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "This room is smaller than it should be. This wall here must be a fake. Check the base for signs of sliding or rotating. Nathros, are you watching the door? I have a sneaking suspicion this is a setup."

  2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhart

    A ghost?, Stefan asks. Let's see about that! He closes in, clutching his holy symbol in one hand and his loaded sling in the other. He tries to pinpoint the sound, and if possible, identify it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    The closest I have for identifying undead is probably my Ceremony skill, so here goes: (1d20)[17]. If it's any use, I need 12 or less to succeed.

  3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    The stocky young fighter stood guard near Sid, ready to interpose himself between the thief and any threat should one arise.

  4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros looks about for something to prop the door open with; failing that, he sets down his spear and draws his short sword with the expectation of it being more useful for indoors close quarters combat. "Interesting place," he says with a grin.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  5. - Top - End - #95
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid passes around the large pit and heads toward the false wall. Brandon sticks close. Nathros has propped open the large door with his spear and Jeanne waits near the entrance.

    As the pair pass by the pit, a trio of glowing red lights seems to rise out of the pit, and behind it another trio appears. The first lunges forward and in the torchlight the figure appears to be a giant bug! It snaps at Brandon and Sid with a menacing bite, but misses both by a wide margin.

    Spoiler
    Show

    I would normally spoiler any numeric combat information here, such as damage causes or status effect given or removed, but there isn't any here. The foe did win Initiative, but missed on its attack, both of which is probably apparent from the IC text.

    You should spoiler your combat details and use the forum dice roller.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-13 at 06:24 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Sid fell back with a startled and disgusted "Gah!" as the giant bug attacked. He waved his torch at the thing to keep it back, as he readied his sword, in case the thing tried that again. "Well, at least it's not a ghost! Somebody get this thing!"

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope.

    For my combat maneuver, I'll go with a fighting withdrawal. Sid backs five feet towards the west side of the room and will only use this attack before the bug's, if the bug comes after him. Attack ---> (1d20)[11] Damage ---> (1d8)[4] Thac0: 19
    Last edited by TruorTupnm; 2010-10-13 at 10:56 AM.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Jeanne, glad her suspicions of a setup were false, darts away as far as she can from the bug and allow Nathros room to close in. She fires an arrow at the bug.

    Spoiler
    Show

    When I DM older editions, I calculate "to-hit" by asking the player to roll d20 vs. unmodified THAC0. As DM, I add the opponent's AC to the roll and check their THAC0 to see if they hit. I like this method better because it reduces the math involved. 1d20+modifier+opponent's AC vs. natural THAC0.

    attack - (1d20+1)[16] vs. THAC0 19
    damage - (1d6)[1]

  8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhardt

    Nope!, Stefan says. Not a ghost! He lets go of the holy symbol, making it fall back to its familiar place around his neck, so he can use the shield to defend himself instead. Then he fires the readied sling bullet at the first bug as best as he can and then steps a bit back, letting the melee types do their thing.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll, THACO 19, so that means I hit [roll]19-1d20[/roll] (I hope the roller can handle the phrasing). That's assuming there no cover from my allies - I don't really remember if there were any concrete rules for such things in BECMI.

    Edit: It couldn't.... I'll roll in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-10-13 at 07:39 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon looked surprised. He tried to figure out what it was he was seeing, then he blurted out, "What, giant fireflies? Sheesh!"

    He maneuvered to intercept at least one of the bugs attacking his companions. He released his grip on his bow, letting it fall to the dusty floor, as he drew his sword in order to attack.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Pardon me, Roland, but Brandon does not have his shield in hand. He was carrying his bow because he was hoping to attack at a distance and thus avoid the danger of melee. Bows take two hands, so his shield was at his back.

    Therefore, until he has time to put on his shield, his AC is only 3. Unless you allow him to put on his shield this round, of course.

    I do not know if a fighter can draw a sword and attack in the same round. I am rolling as if he can. Please ignore the rolls if he cannot. He'll just attack next round if so.

    Brandon's only modifier is his Strength of 14, which gives a +1 to hit and damage.

    Attack: [roll0]
    Thac0: 19 minus 1 = 18
    Damage: [roll1]

    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-10-13 at 11:57 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Spoiler
    Show
    Since my first set of rolls were negated somehow, rerolling.

    Attack: (1d20+1)[18]
    Thac0: 19 minus 1 = 18
    Damage: (1d8+1)[7]


  11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros rushes into combat, intent on taking down the beast as quickly as possible:

    Spoiler
    Show

    atk - (1d20+1)[18]
    dmg - (1d6+2)[6]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  12. - Top - End - #102
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The bug, now clearly visible as some kind of giant beetle, clambers further out of the pit, Jeanne's arrow digging a deep groove across its back before sticking into the far wall. As the beetle looks in her direction, Nathros and Brandon sink their swords into the beast and it slumps to the ground sliding back a bit into the pit. The second beetle climbs on top of the fallen one, biting at Brandon a bit too early to make contact.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Unflinching, Nathros withdraws his short bladed sword from its ichor flooded sheath and closes grimly with the second beast.

    Spoiler
    Show

    THAC0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhardt

    My lady Petra, I pray that the next stone will strike true, Stefan prays to himself, firing another sling stone at the remaining bug.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll (THAC0 19) (1d20)[11]

  15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "These men are afraid of insects? A little fire down that hole and all would be well." Jeanne readies and fires another arrow.

    Spoiler
    Show

    attack - (1d20+1)[9] vs. THAC0 19
    damage - (1d6)[5]

  16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Upon getting out of range of the first beetle, Sid scooted his way as far as he could get towards the west wall. On the way, he dropped his sword and torch to ready his bow. Also, he gasped out at Jeanne, "You're kidding! Are all bugs this big, in elvish countries?"

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

    I wasn't sure exactly how big the room was, but he'd at least stop running to keep the thing in range of his bow and eyesight. If the light from the doorway won't give him a view of the thing, he would have dropped the torch near the fight.
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon whooped excitedly like a boy at play as the first bug fell. He joined Nathros in introducing the second bug to the taste of steel.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+1)[9]
    Thac0: 19 minus 1 = 18
    Damage: (1d8+1)[4]

    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-10-13 at 10:42 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #108
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Neither arrow nor sling stone hit their mark and Nathros and Brandon both swing wide with their blades. By the light of Sid's fallen torch, the beetle continues to advance clacking its jaw menacingly.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Honestly, this is my first real battle but there are worse monsters that prowl a forest than big bugs." Jeanne fires another arrow at the beetle.

    Spoiler
    Show

    attack - (1d20+1)[16] vs. THAC0 19
    damage - (1d6)[2]

  20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    As his sword swung wide of the bug, Brandon cursed coarsely, using terms he'd heard his older (now married) brothers use when their mother and sisters weren't around to overhear. In just a few seconds of combat, his face had become shiny with perspiration.

    While he was concentrating on his swordwork, Brandon's mouth shouted, "Swat you, bug-bug!"

    Absently, he wondered who the hell had said something so juvenile.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+1)[14]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[7]

    Last edited by Frivolous; 2010-10-14 at 12:24 AM.

  21. - Top - End - #111
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Out of range of the bug's attacks, Sid was able to collect himself enough to fire an arrow at the thing. As he did so, he couldn't help emitting a disbelieving, "Heh! Ha!" at Brandon's shout. He shouted a challenge back. "Sure you don't need me to get your mother in here to get it for you, Brandon?"

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

    Attack ---> (1d20+2)[19] Damage ---> (1d6)[6]
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros strikes on!

    Spoiler
    Show

    THAC0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[13]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[5]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan fires yet another sling stone. Third time's the charm!

    Spoiler
    Show
    THAC0 19, (1d20)[13]. Damage (1d4)[1].

  24. - Top - End - #114
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The beetle takes both an arrow and a slingstone in the side, but it still moves forward to bite Brandon. It's strange mouth connects but is foiled by the young man's sturdy armor. Wounded and stymied, it scuttles backwards into the pit.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

  25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan Reinhardt

    It's retreating. Strike it before it gets away, Stefan yells while sending yet another stone sailing towards the beast.

    Spoiler
    Show
    THAC0, (1d20)[16]
    Edit: damage 1, rolled in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by RebelRogue; 2010-10-14 at 12:11 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #116
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    TruorTupnm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Sid "The Sneak" Aimes

    Encouraged by the bug's retreat, Sid cheered, "Ha, ha! Don't let it get away!" then fired another arrow.

    O. O. C. --->
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Nope. Thac0: 19

    Attack ---> (1d20+2)[4] Damage ---> (1d6)[6]
    You're either an Outcast, or you're in denial.
    Strength and stupidity in numbers.

    - Myself

    Free-Form Role-Playing Game Characters, because I got tired of sticking links in my posts --->

  27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Fired up, Brandon steps forward and attacks again, slicing at the bug with his sword.

    "Die, varmint!" he yells.


    Spoiler
    Show


    Attack: (1d20+1)[16]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]


  28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros presses his attack on the retreating creature.

    Spoiler
    Show

    THAC0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+2)[3]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Jeanne reaches for another arrow but instead turns her head and sighs. This battle is won; no need to waste another arrow.

  30. - Top - End - #120
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Another round of solid blows and the second beetle slumps beside the first, it's three glowing lights still glowing, albeit slightly more dimly. The bloodied and dead beetles still twitch slightly, but are clearly no longer alive.

    The large mill room seems suddenly quiet again.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2010-10-15 at 02:21 PM.
    Constable Roland by Balford
    Old Ways, a long-running RC/BECMI game is now recruiting for a replacement player.
    Forum Rules

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •