New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1530313233343536373839404142434445464748495065 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1171
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Old Ways IC

The charmed goblin teeters wildly at the precipice, windmilling his arms ineffectually. Tal pokes him over the edge with a spare piece of busted barricade, and the goblin literally didn't know what hit him as he tumbled down into the darkness below.

Stefan continues his missing streak, almost as if maybe his sling was bent, though it certainly seemed to be working earlier.

Nathros and Brandon stand in close with the goblins, but neither connects as the cagey little knife fighters jump out of the way. The goblins have no better success, though, and their knives cut only air.

Jeanne readies her trident, and with the charmed goblin out of the picture, she can line herself up to strike through that gap in a moment.

The goblins lash out again, but neither lands a blow, and they both grunt is apparent frustration.

Spoiler
    Show

Goblins won initiative.

PCs turn.

Two goblins unharmed with Nathros and Brandon near the top stair. Jeanne just behind them and off to the side, where she can angle in a trident attack, if desired.

Tal and Stefan back in the room as near or far as they want to position themselves.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon screams in frustrated rage and swings his sword. In his fury, he shouts the first thing that comes to mind, "Vestator epth-thanga!"

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Points: 4/8.

Attack: (1d20+1)[12]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[9]

He continues yelling, "Oobli-oobli! Gobbo oobli!"

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros takes the fight to the goblins!

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level One Dwarf: AC 5(3); HP 4(3); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[20]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[5]

It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #1174

Brandon and Nathros cut down the two remaining goblins with strong blows.

Spoiler
    Show

Out of combat
    Forum Rules

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon heaves a sigh of relief. He peers down the stairs to see if any of the goblins that went tumbling down are moving or getting up.

If he sees no movement he wipes clean his sword on his cloak and hangs up his shield, then searches the dead goblin bodies for treasure and tools and anything useful or valuable.

He says quietly as he works, "I'm all out of gumption. I don't think I can face another set of goblins. I kept missing. That was too close."

"I want to retreat. Anyone staying here to fight more gobbos?"

Brandon's face is gray with fatigue and fear. His voice is quiet and flat, without affect.

6. - Top - End - #1176

No sounds of movement can be heard from below and nothing stirs in the darkness as far as Brandon can tell.
    Forum Rules

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros surveys the dead goblins for signs of his missing hand axe. "We just got here, kid."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Nathros surveys the dead goblins for signs of his missing hand axe. "We just got here, kid."
    Brandon Bor

Brandon sighs. His voice is quiet but tense with the exaggerated patience of someone who is either talking to someone senile or is trying to avoid screaming.

"I have a different definition for 'here.'"

"We got 'here' a few days ago. Since then I nearly died, and we did lose one of our number. We're also almost completely out of oil to burn up gobbos with, and we have no idea how many there are."

"Without the oil, we're dependent on our mediocre weapons skills and Jeanne's spell."

"So in my opinion it's a real good time to depart for home, rest a bit, and pick up a lot more oil. And while we're there, we can interrogate the goblin and get a much better picture of their numbers and defenses."

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

In a fierce whisper, the Thyatian scholar chips in: "There's not a scratch on you, Brandon. I lost everyone - every single one - of my party to these *****, and I'm not going to stop pushing on till there's no hope left. Now we need you. Stay with us, please."
    Despite his keen entreaty, he avoids meeting the fighter's eye, but moves to the top of the stairs again.
    "Oi, Cook - you alright down there?" calls Talsarios softly in goblinoid into the dark stairwell.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon's eyes soften. He whispers to Talsarios.

"You're very brave. But there comes a time when fighting fires that it really is better to go refill your bucket with water rather than trying to put out the fires with your bare hands. You can scorch yourself to the bone if you do."

After gathering up all the coins and other treasure from the goblins dead at their feet, he stands with a creak and a wince.

"We're under no time limit for dealing with the gobbos, so me, I'm for refilling ma bucket. But you can stay if you want, Talsarios. I'll light a candle in a temple for you and your friends. You won't be forgotten."

Brandon seems quite sober, albeit still gray in complexion.

Intentions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roland: How much treasure did the party get out of the dead goblins?

I don't begrudge others the chance to rp their characters and give dialogue, but Brandon has said his piece. He has no intention of staying in the keep further, not when he is so low in hit points and down to 1 flask of oil.

He might be persuaded not to go immediately back to town, but the lack of oil really bothers him.

Brandon will try to get his share of the treasure if he can. If not, he'll shrug and just go for enough food to get himself back to town even if he walks there.

If he doesn't get any coin out of the party, he'll ask the Bosk for funds to buy more oil and rations with when he makes his report.

I hope no one is offended by this course of action, but it seems the only rational one for Brandon. I also hope no one is offended when I say that he might be more optimistic if Jeanne acted more than intermittently.

That is all.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan was trying to fix the alignment of his sling with a dire focus, but he finally snaps out of it and realises what's going on.

"Oh, hey," he steps forward and raises his palms to calm everyone. "We're doing pretty good today so far, but if Brandon's tired, can't we rest a bit? Jeanne still has her magic for if we're attacked in the night, and I'll be good for watch."

He smiles nervously, trying to difuse the tension. "I mean, it's Mr. Tin Suit that's been the focus of most of their stabbing efforts. If he's out, why don't we all take a rest? I think we did pretty good so far. I doubt there's much of them left."

Stefan scratches his chin and listens to what the others have to say.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Alastaor looks between the adventurers, as if trying to guess their enthusiams. "I'll go with the party, but I think we should at least see what's beyond the door below. We're alive, goblins are nocturnal - and it's daylight for a long time yet," he explains.
    Turning away for a moment, Talsarios shines his light down into the stair well, looking for the (hopefully still) charmed goblin.
    "Hey there, Cook. Are you hurt?" he calls, in gutteral goblinoid.

13. - Top - End - #1183

The light shines all the way to the bottom of the stairs, no sign of the cook nor the other assailants appears. Just the busted remnants of Brandon's barricade.
    Forum Rules

14. - Top - End - #1184

The sound of hollering in the Goblin tongue "Get out!" echos up the stairwell as does the sound of clanking armor and footsteps. If the commanding tone was anything to judge by, Talsarios might be seeing his goblin king sooner than he'd expected.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-11-11 at 09:15 PM.
    Forum Rules

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, in the absence of a leader, we can take a vote on it. On the subject of a retreat, yay, nay or abstain. For the record, I vote nay." Nathros hears the clanking, "Looks like an unexpected vote." He readies his spear and shield to meet whatever evil is coming up the stairs!

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon's eyebrows rise sharply at the command.

"I've not changed my mind."

He prudently retreats a few steps further away from the top of the stairwell, but does not leave the party's vicinity just yet. He frowns in concentration, listening for the sound of footsteps.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh dear - chaps, lady, I think we have company. Sounds like it could be the Goblin King, too. Be ready to retreat!" Alastor takes out his sling and readies a stone.

18. - Top - End - #1188

"T-the goblin king?" Stefan stammers. "Alright, I'm voting 'yay.'" He scurries back to the door, keeping half-turned toward the stairs.

"Our hearts aren't in this one, and discretion is the better part of valor!" Stefan glances to Jeanne, "Unless this is the moment you saved that spell for, Jeanne?"

He's ready to retreat, but turned to face the goblins for now, just in case.

19. - Top - End - #1189

A pair of goblins appear at the bottom of the stairwell, stepping on Brandon's broken barricade as if it weren't there. A bit bigger than their fellows and unflinching when it comes to Talsarios' lantern. The suggestion of another pair behind them can barely be seen.

The unseen voice repeats its demand from below, "Get out"

Spoiler
    Show

PCs turn
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

Pocketing his sling for a moment, Talsarios pulls the filling cap off his lantern to let the oil flow freely - and hurls it down the stairs at the big goblins with a cry of "Fireball!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios MU1, HP1/1, THAC0 19
    Improvised oil bomb - (1d20)[2]
    Not sure how much damage it should do - feel free to roll, Roland.

If Talsarios has enough time left in this round, he'll back away, too.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon hisses a four-letter word as with wide eyes he sees Talsarios throw his lantern down the stairs.

Before he can think of what he is doing, he rushes back the way he came to peer down the steps and winces as he sees the lantern break apart away from the two husky goblins.

He mutters, "Damn it. I never wanted to live forever anyway." He takes out his last flask of oil and hurls it down the steps at the lead goblin.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20)[2]

He gloomily watches the flask fail to hit, too, and glances sideways at Nathros and Talsarios.

"It doesn't look like the Immortals are with us in this battle. Still want to fight this one out?"
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2011-11-13 at 10:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

"I was planning on running! Nothing slows a goblin down quite like being on fire!"

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

"Flee if you must, but you are going to have a difficult time outrunning goblins whilst decked out in plate armour! Stand ready Jeanne! We are going to need your spells!" Nathros readies his spear in anticipation.

24. - Top - End - #1194

Stefan readies his sling again, shifting nervously near the door.

"Let's let 'em have it, guys! As soon as they show their hideous faces!"

Steeling himself he offers a tiny prayer to anyone who's listening. He steps forward, ready to battle.

25. - Top - End - #1195

Tal's lantern falls only a few steps down and tumbles toward the goblins, flame spreading across the stairwell as the oil pours out. Brandon's flask smashes against a wall of the stairwell and the flames briefly line the stone wall as well.

Brandon and Nathros stand ready at the stairtop with Stefan right behind looking for an opening to fire his shot.

The goblins stop their advance but can be seen holding their ground just on the other side of the small bank of flames.

Spoiler
    Show

Goblins win initiative but the visible ones do nothing but hold their ground.

PC's turn.

Any characters who have thrown or seen oil thrown on to stone know that it will burn two rounds (last round and this round), and no more without other fuel.

Brandon built pretty much everything flammable (and moveable, for that matter) into his barricade, which is now at the bottom of the stairs.

Jeanne lacks a clear shot with her bow and is holding her spell for a clear shot at multiple foes.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-11-13 at 07:51 PM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

"That'll only hold them for a moment - Let's go!" call Talsarios and backs out of the kitchen into the chamber above. He's reluctant to outright run without his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as the party as a whole is retreating - but not before - Talsarios will run for it.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Stefan glances at Nathros, the resolute short-legged dwarf in heavy armor with a backbone made of dwarfish steel.

"I - I don't think we're running!" He stammers to Talsarios, spinning his sling into a whirring frenzy. "Gimme a clear shot!"

Stefan steps up to find a gap and fires his sling with a resolute howl, "BY VANYAAAA!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2/2 AC: 2 THAC0: 19
    To hit: (1d20)[17]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon yells, "Jeanne? Jeanne? Your spell would come in handy right now. If you can't cast, let's run before they get here!"

Having said that, he throws one of the captured goblin daggers at the same goblin his lifelong friend Stefan is attacking, hoping to weaken or even kill it before it reaches the party.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20)[9]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

29. - Top - End - #1199

Stefan and Brandon take aim at one of the goblin brutes over the dying line of fire, with Stefan's bullet faring better than Brandon's goblin dagger.

Nathros stands at Brandon's side, spear ready, at the top of the stairs.

Jeanne kneels beside Brandon and eyes the scene below.
    "Patience, young one." She fires an arrow through the small gap between the armored young man and the wall and strikes the goblin square in the gut.

Two goblin brutes stand partway up the stairs. One severely wounded from sling stone and arrow wounds and one uninjured and looking ready to charge up the stairs. Two others likely stand behind them, but it is difficult to tell in the dim light of the remaining flickering oil.

---
    Outside the keep, Ash positioned the tradesmen and lumbermen guards in the courtyard and approached the keeps front door. It was open. Just beyond was one of her uncle's men, recognizable from the green vest bearing the Lord's symbol, though she didn't recognize him personally. He apparently recognized her.

"Milady, the battle is joined with in! A fresh blade may turn the tide."

Spoiler
    Show

PCs win initiative. PC's turn.
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally, a chance to test her skills! A chance to win the respect of her kin - ... and a chance to die. Whatever fate has in store, at least her life has led her to now. Now where she can finally feel the fuel of adrenaline that comes with true risk, the threat of permanent failure or the pure satisfaction of VICTORY. Knowing the dangers, she chooses to ignore them. I will win. I will not lose. I will not die.

The man could see past Ash's visor as her eyes narrowed and glimmered with excitement. "Well, then. Best not keep them waiting!" she says with a grin beneath her helmet and she tilts into a charge past him through the door. On the way, she holds her gauntleted hand towards the tradesmen and lumbermen guards, signalling them to wait and guard here. Then she knocks an arrow as she approaches the sounds of battle.

The steady tink, tink, tink can be heard from her footsteps as she passes through the rooms within. Upon arriving at the scene of battle, she tries to quickly assess the situation. After determining those standing in the room are all on the same side, she follows their gazes down the smoking stairs towards the threat - Goblins! Those are definately FOE. Without hesitation and given a clear shot (she will move accordingly), she fires her arrow down at one of the figures below, hoping to improve the odds as swiftly as she can.

Spoiler
    Show
    If there's time for her this round, I'll roll for her shot here.
    Thac0:18, HP:4/4
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d6)[5]