New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849505166 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1201
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

Stefan glances back, hearing people approaching from behind. "Guys!-"

Confused about the newcomers, Stefan quickly guesses, "Hey, Sid, is that you back there?"

Stefan attacks the goblins with his sling.

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2/2 AC: 2 THAC0: 19
    To hit: (1d20)[14]
    Damage: (1d4)[3]
    Last edited by Valameer; 2011-11-19 at 10:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Description for those that see her for the first time here: Her cloak is rust colored, her armor is a well-kept steel, and she carries a standard pack across her back, complete with spear, shield, bow, arrows, and sword. She wouldn't look like a woman at a glance, just a warrior in steel with a bow and other equiptment. She stands at 5'6", plus the bulk of her armor adding a bit of height. Still, a smaller look about her than the hearty men fellows around her (like Brandon). Her helmet covers her face, but for the narrow slit to see through.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Devin runs beside the newcomer, waiving Brann to watch the front door in his stead. He leads Ash to the small, blood-covered room where several men, and one female elf, hold the top of a stone stairwell against at least one goblin. A large one compared to their traditional description.

There was really no room for her to approach the front line, that was being held by an armored man and a spear-wielding dwarf. The second line, too, was full, a sling-wielding priest and bow-wielding elf were trying to lean or kneel for a clear shot.

Despite her rushing in, she found herself at the rear of a very crowd formation, next to, if she had to guess, a young noble scholar from Specularum or maybe even Thyatis.

Devin takes care to announce her, hoping to avoid her getting herself shot. He pokes his head into the room just ahead of her.

"Lord Bost has sent reinforcements, gents."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-11-16 at 11:15 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Ogre in the Playground

"Brilliant!" cries Talsarios, the aforesaid Thyatian scholar. "Good knight, there's no less than a goblin king and his bodyguard here that needs your sword's attention! Do your worst!"
    With that, Alastor backs off to let the mailed fighter through, and fishes his sling out his belt again and check the bullet is loaded, muttering "... rather I mean, do your best, dammit. Silly."

Spoiler
    Show
    If he gets a clear shot, Alastor will take it. Otherwise, he waits to help in any other way he can.
    Talsarios MU1, HP 1/1, AC9, THAC0 19
    sling attack - (1d20)[11] (if possible)
    damage - (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-11-17 at 02:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran's baritone voice calls out loudly, "From Lord Bost? Great! I hope he has some oil to throw, because there are at least four of those tough gob sergeants that nearly killed me before!"

He sounds a bit panicked, but he draws the second of his three goblin daggers and lets fly again, aiming at the severely wounded goblin halfway up the stair.

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Points: 4/8.

Attack: (1d20)[8]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d4)[2]

6. - Top - End - #1206

Neither Talsarios nor Ash had a clear shot, Brandon and Nathros blocked most of the stair top and Stefan and Jeanne blocked what little gaps were left between the armored men.

Brandon hurled another dagger down the stairs, but it skidded harmlessly along one wall. Jeanne had better luck, landing an arrow straight into the ribs of the nearest goblin.

The goblin charged and two others, knives drawn, charged right behind him.

The nearest goblin takes a pair of wild swings at Nathros, trying to stay out of range of his spear. He doesn't quite succeed and finds himself impaled on the dwarf's spear.

The second makes reckless charge at Brandon and takes two equally ineffective stabs at Brandon, not even connecting with his armor.

Jeanne swiftly reloads and fires another arrow just past Brandon's hip and into the goblin facing him.

Stefan waits with an Immortal-inspired patience and fires when Jeanne does, catching the goblin facing Brandon square in the skull. The goblin bleeds profusely but doesn't fall.

Spoiler
    Show

Two visible goblins still in the fight, one very seriously injured and one uninjured.

PCs lost initiative, goblin actions for this round included above.

Nathros and Jeanne's actions this round also included above.

PC's turn.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-11-19 at 11:30 AM.
    Forum Rules

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios keeps his sling handy, and loosens Gregoras's sword in its sheath. We'll make them rue the day they killed one of House Talsarios, he thinks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Again, if there is a clear a shot, Alastor will take it.
    Regarding the sword: he's just preparing himself for melee in case any goblins get through the line - the sword is not yet drawn.

Talsarios MU1, HP 1/1, AC 9, THAC0 19
    Sling attack - (1d20)[16]
    Damage - (1d4)[3]
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-11-19 at 08:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash steps back out of the way and shouts with a voice muffled sounding from her helmet, "If any of you wish to step back to make way, I would support your tenative withdrawal from the front line!"

Spoiler
    Show
    She holds any further action she may be permitted this round until a response from the rest of the group allows her a chance to get through and use her bow.

If a shot gets through this round, here's a roll:
    Thac0(Bow): 18
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d6)[5]

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan looks back long enough to see the armored warrior taking aim just over his shoulder, and he raises his shield and moves to the side of the room to give her space to aim at the goblins.

"Whoa, watch it there, fella! I'm on your side" he calls out to the new archer.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved away from my firing position and passed my attack this round.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon snarls, his face contorting with fear and rage as memories of his recent near-death experience flood his mind.

He draws his sword and attacks the goblin that just attacked him, shouting in the face of his enemy, "Not again! No, never again!"

Spoiler
    Show

Hit Points: 4/8.

Attack: (1d20+1)[8]
    Thac0: 19
    Damage: (1d8+1)[5]

11. - Top - End - #1211

Tal lines up, but never finds a clear shot. Too many rows of people between him and the enemy.

Stefan steps back and Ash takes his place, firing an arrow in to the nearest goblin. The goblin staggers back and tumbles down the stairs, falling out of range of Brandon's swinging sword.

Nathros jabbed his spear at the last remaining goblin and Jeanne fired an arrow in his direction, but both missed.

The last remaining goblin turns at the sight of his dead friend and armed enemies and bolts down the stairs. He disappears into the darkness before anyone can stop him.

Spoiler
    Show

Uninjured goblin wins initiative and flees.
    Forum Rules

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah watched silently as Ash and her party passed through the gates of the shield wall and into the courtyard beyond. With her men apparently settled to her satisfaction, he sees her disappear into the keep at the side of one of Lord Bost's men, though just who it was he could not tell from the distance. His immediate duties satisfied for the time being, the woodsman turned his attention to the fortification itself. Perhaps best to get a lay of the land, he though to himself. If we need to fight our way back out, it'll be good to know just what we're facing. With that thought in mind, he turned back to the shelter of the surrounding trees and began to carefully circle the walls and their surrounding moat, looking for any additional gates or possible points of egress...

As he works his way around, movement catches his eye. He drops to the ground, cautious of being spotted, and watches as a group of large humanoid creatures appears from somewhere and rush off towards the surrounding forest, disappearing into the trees.

So many! Too many to risk following alone, he decides. Once he is sure they are gone, Mycah moves towards the spot where he first saw them and begins casting around for any indication of where they came from or what they may have been doing so near the Keep itself.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon looks a bit shocked that the goblin ran away. He mutters feverishlyto himself, "Still alive, still alive...."

Having said that, he stoops and begins searching the bodies of the dead goblins who are not at the bottom of the stair, hoping they have something that can aid in the party's survival.

Spoiler
    Show
    Brandon is definitely not going down to the bottom of the stairs. Not by himself anyway.

He's looking for keys, but he'll take coins if that's all they have.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros has a look for his hand axe amongst the dead goblins, before turning to address the newcomers. "Welcome! It seems Lord Bost has more foresight than it first seemed. More friendly sword arms are welcome in this perilous place!"
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios dashes to the top of the stair well and peers into the gloom. "Are we letting them get away?" he urges - but looking back at the tired warriors, he sags a little.
    "I suppose we beat them, didn't we. Now we can hold the keep against their return. Perhaps we can send some of the woodsmen to whatever town or village is nearby to re-supply us...
    "I say, sir knight - how many men at arms did you bring?"

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash lets her bow hang over her elbow as she reaches up to remove her helmet and tuck it under one arm to reveal herself. A woman of average height stands before the party. She has a boyish hair cut (a bob cut, longer in the front) which is golden bronze, light olive skin, freckles across her nose and cheeks, and deep green eyes.

She smiles at those around her in response to the welcoming greeting, "Well met. By the scuffling and blood," she looks down at the felled goblins, " and the bodies, I'd say you've done quite a number on them already. Unfortunately, it is hard to come by loyal and strong combatants like yourselves. Thus, we brought only a scout, lumbermen guards, and skilled personnel to occupy this place and hold it while things settle down. Perhaps some of the guardsmen or the scout would be interested, though I do not know any of them well enough to be be sure. You're all welcome to relax a while in our company and discuss your intentions further. We can at least provide you with peace of mind while you rest. And I will of course aid you as long as it takes to fortify this keep for my un- uh, employer, Lord Bost." She purposefully says his name the way it's spelled. She blinks and looks about a little, deciding to soak up the scene a little better.

I got so worked up over such a tiny battle. She frowns, contemplatively. I wonder if it will ever be all I expected. She clears her throat, Perhaps - then looks up upon hearing the words of whoever speaks next.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2011-11-22 at 08:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon (a short stocky young man of about 17 who hasn't shaved in a while) looks startled to see that their reinforcement is a woman.

He stammers, "Um, how do you do? Thanks for coming to our rescue."

18. - Top - End - #1218

Brandon carefully picked over the bodies of the three fallen goblin toughs, staying within the light provided by the kitchen area. These were far and away the richest goblins yet, each wielding a well-made but old looking knife and carrying fifty gold pieces in heavy leather pouches. Tucked into their clothes and even hung around their necks were strips of silver that on close inspection appeared to be mangled knives, forks, pieces of goblets and plates, and similar.

One even had a small but beautiful red gem bound in grimy twine and wrapped around his head like a headband.

---
    Mycah located a hole in the ground, extremely well-hidden. He'd never have found it, even with his good eyes, if he hadn't seen the goblin brutes emerge from the exact spot. A single length of poor quality rope disappeared into the dark hole in the ground.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-11-23 at 11:33 AM.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #1219

RangerGuy

Mycah stood looking down at the hole and pondered his next move. It seemed unlikely that any more of the creatures remained behind - those he had seen were moving quickly, fleeing something, and not just skulking about. Still, he was ill-equipped to deal with more than one or two and this was something the others needed to know about.

Taking a moment to fix the location in his mind, he hurried back to the main entrance of the Keep, to seek out Ash or the others of the group they were following after. Someone else needed to know what he had seen.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

"Still must be more of them, yet. I am for continuing downwards and rooting them out."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash snaps out of her thoughts and responds to Brandon with a courteous smile and a bow of the head.

Her expression becomes focused as she continues speaking with Nathros and who ever else might be looking towards her assertively, "Then I suggest we get organized.
    Have you any ideas on how much more space there is to clear?
    Are any of you spell casting sorts?
    Who takes care of your wounds?
    How're your front line warriors fairing?
    Do you have any tools to thwart large numbers of enemies if the situation gets out of hand? One of you mentioned something about burning oil when I first got here. I just have one flask to cover a retreat for an emergency."

22. - Top - End - #1222

Mycah traveled more quickly when he wasn't searching, and made his way back to the outer wall and open drawbridge. The guards waved him by, and at the keep's front door stood a familiar face, Devin. Mycah knew him as a skilled and canny lumberman who often acted as a leader and voice for other less social employees of Lord Bost.

Devin pointed him in the direction of the kitchen where the lord's mercenaries plotted their next move.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios - a dark-haired, goatee bearded fair skinned young man in fine, if travel stained clothes - shrugs with a grin. "No idea, really - could be a whole network of caves under here, for all we know!
    "Me, I'm a caster of magic spells - or spell rather, I only have one scribed as yet: a charming spells it is though, what! Jeanne there is as you can see, an elf, and like many of her kin is skilled in magic as well as fighting. Stefan is skilled at healing, but we have no arcane methods of restoring vitality..."

The Thyatian sags a little and blinks a few times looking sheepishly at his fellows: "To be honest, we're in poor shape. I lost my trusted man-servant to the foul goblinoids, and Brandon is sore hurt and tired. We were debating a retreat... Tactics are not my strong point, however. Perhaps our warriors have a better appraisal."

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash frowns and her eyes glint like sunlight on steel at mention of the loss of the fine clothed man's servant. She looks pondersome before speaking, "Can you both still cast your spells today?" She looks between the Thyatian and the Elf. "And what are your names, by the way?" She scans the group and tries to identify the one named Brandon, as his name was the first mentioned. "I'm Ash. Ashala, if you'd prefer."
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2011-11-25 at 07:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, I'm sorry, my manners!" Talsarios makes a short bow. "I'm Alastor Talsarios." He introduces the rest of the adventurers by name, apparently thinking it quite natural that he should be the one doing introductions of these people he's recently met.
    "I'm lately joined with this band, having been stranded here when my anthropological expedition was set upon by these vile brutes who I'd come to observe.... Oh, and I've used my spell," he adds.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-11-26 at 06:16 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1226

RangerGuy

As the introductions are being made to the other members of the band, yet another newcomer arrives. Pausing at the doorway when he sees the group arrayed before him, a young man appears. He is shrouded in a mottled green cloak and the hood is thrown back to reveal a young face framed in tousled brown hair.

He scans the room and his eyes narrow as he sees the forms of the dead goblins, then he heads straight for Ash. "Lady Ashala, I was out scouting beyond the walls and saw a group of creatures run away into the forest. I wasn't sure what they were at first, but those", he points to the bodies, "look just like them. Goblins, it seems, but big ones. I found a small tunnel and a rope leading down, so it must have been an escape route for them. There looked to be seven of them, and wasting no time getting away."

Mycah falls silent, then steps back to take in the others while he waits for her response. His eyes linger on the elf and he nods in greeting if she notices.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2011-11-26 at 09:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon starts nervously at the stranger's sudden appearance and approach, raising his sword, but then relaxes as he sees the stranger call Ash by name.

"Seven? And they flee from us?" His voice is strained with disbelief.

Then he sounds thoughtful. "Huh. Mom wasn't kidding about the mist of war. People really are confused."

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash tries not to be frustrated that Mycah adressed her as Lady when she had no intentions of asserting such trivial matters of nobility over the others. She wants to earn the title she will gain when her father passes on, not be granted it out of the duty of others. She frowns, but expresses her thoughts and concerns to the others before deciding the next most appropriate course of action.

"They were correct in allowing themselves to fear. In their case, perhaps that will have bought them a few extra hours until we properly locate and disbatch them. If they don't make a stand and they get away, however, they may likely have allies at another location and intend to come back with stronger numbers. If any of them remain here, their morale should be demoralized enough that they won't be much threat. If they have a leader, I would think he would be among the ones who fled, as you said they were the bigger sort.

"The way I see it, we have two choices. The first; hedge out the ones who fled right away and concider that a victory - clean up what ever creatures remain later with no fear of reinforcements used against us. The second; continue the exploration and securing of the keep - use it as a stronghold as we'd intended and the goblins will have little chance against us if we're fast. The trouble with the second is we cannot be certain to finish (or that this place is empty) before a possible retaliation is organized. Either way, if a couple of you decide to rest with the others, I will gladly do my part to press on and continue this small war."

She studies the faces of her new comrades, trying to remember their names so as not to insult them later.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2011-11-27 at 11:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

"We should pursue those that fled as swiftly as we can while it is still light - goblins have no love of the sun," says Talsarios, nodding eagerly. "I've made a study of the blighters, you know."
    With a pat on Brandon's shoulder he adds, "Come on, old chap. A chase through the woods will let us shoot at the brutes. Maybe we won't even need to engage in hand-to-hand fighting. And Jeanne still has her spell."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-11-28 at 06:36 AM. Reason: correction of missing plural

30. - Top - End - #1230

Jeanne listens carefully to Ashala's planning. "All else being equal, I'd prefer to finish our task in this bit of rock so we can be done with it sooner. Hopefully, they've all fled and we can secure the fort against them."
    Forum Rules