New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849505152535469 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC

"I think so, Brandon - I didn't see any other ways to go."

Talsarios gathers up his notes and equipment, and heads off to the tunnel exit. He seems tired now, but there's a glow of satisfaction about him.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Nathros finds the tunnel passable, for a dwarf, and clearly natural. A shift in the surrounding ground opened this up. After a short walk, the tunnel opened a bit to a fork, one path down into the earth, where the goblins likely came from, and another straight ahead, in the direction of the opening Mycah mentioned. The former fork extended only a few feet before being totally collapsed. Nathros judged it to be effectively closed to all but a very determined clan of dwarves or some act of great magic that could move earth.

Spoiler
    Show
    There is an unopened set of double doors in the main hall, straight across from entryway. Nathros would have gathered that they lead to a stairwell up (immediately above the explored stairwell down). Anyone might have noticed just the doors though.

There are also walkways from the second floor of the two explored towers to the two unexplored towers. The two unexplored towers have no ground level and are only reachable via these walkways.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2011-12-12 at 01:55 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Ogre in the Playground

As he passes the doors in the hall, Talsarios stops for a moment.
    "I forgot about those... and the walkways in the towers... I suppose we ought to come back and double check the upper floors - once we've seen that Nathros is safe. We didn't see anyone up there when we were there yesterday, though."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-12-14 at 03:34 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros emerges from the tunnel and looks for signs of the goblins as he awaits his companions outside.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

"You haven't fully explored the keep then? Yes, we'd best be sure it's clear before we leave the workers behind on their own. I expect all the goblins fled, but who knows what else is living in some dark corner of this place with it being so long abandoned."

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash nods in agreement to search more of the keep later. She continues on with Mycah leading the way so they may meet with Nathros as planned, along with the others. She doesn't seem to have much to say along the way.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2011-12-14 at 11:45 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon remains on guard as me marches behind Mycah, sword and shield gripped tightly in his hands.

He pays only passing attention to the conversation between his companions. From time to time he says, "Uh huh," "Of course," and "Sure."

8. - Top - End - #1298

The hole is easy enough for Mycah to find. He'd fixed it in his mind when he first approached it. It looked like a natural hole in the ground with an irregular shape, rough dirt walls, and no apparent handholds. If investigated quietly, Nathros making his way down the tunnel could be heard from the surface.
    Forum Rules

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios nods, agreeing to covering the rest of the keep before leaving for Threshold. "I doubt there's much more to explore - just the parapets of the other two towers and so on."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-12-15 at 07:18 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash crouches and peers down the hole with Mycah likely beside her and the others near by. She has her hand on her hilt in case something other than Nathros emerges. She waits.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stefan looks around the woods nervously. "I sure hope those goblins you saw run off weren't just getting reinforcements, Mycah..."

He draws his mace, just in case.

"Can you guys see Nath down there at all?" He peers over someone's shoulder.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash shrugs after her moment of listening. "I think I can hear someone coming. It's probably him."

13. - Top - End - #1303

RangerGuy

Mycah nods even as Ash responds to Stefan's question.
    "Someone is coming, but I can't say it's Nathros. No sounds of fighting though."

Mulling over the man's fears in his head, Mycah looks to the forest edge. "If we were going to be out here longer, I'd say we should post a guard at the treeline, but we're headed right back to the keep. We'll have some men up in the towers soon to keep watch, so I think we're fine. The more I think on it, I'm convinced those goblins were on their own. You flushed them out for good, I'll bet."

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash turns her armored head toward Mycah to nod. "Seems that Devin fellow has things well at hand back there. He knows what everyone must do and I'll bet they're doing it well." Ash turns a little to face the rest of the group better. "Looks like you were also well chosen for your task. There should be little need to worry or fret much longer." Then she turns her head back to watch down the hole. "Though it's good to be cautious in unfamiliar territory." Her gaze appeared to linger slightly longer on Stefan before she turned away.

15. - Top - End - #1305

Stefan feels a chill run up his spine as the dark eye-sockets of Ash's helmet seem to stare him down. Ignoring the feeling, Stefan moves to the opposite side of Talsarios, to cover the scholar's flank in case of a surprise attack.

"You're probably right about that, Myke," says Stefan, already familiarizing Mycah's name. "But still, I'd feel better if there weren't armed goblins out there that know we're here."

The young man wipes his brow, clearly feeling some fatigue from the ordeals of the past few days, but his green eyes remain bright and he still smiles easily.

Stefan looks back towards the hole in the ground.

"Ah, I think I hear him grunting along now. Must be getting close," he says with a chuckle.

16. - Top - End - #1306

Light barely reaches the bottom of the whole, but Nathros can easily be seen when he reaches the spot. The tunnel he was following dead ends into a vertical shaft. His allies seem to be peering down from above.

No sign or sound of goblins above or below.
    Forum Rules

17. - Top - End - #1307

Stefan crouches down at the edge of the hole to give Nathros an arm up. "Find anything interesting, Nath?" he asks.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash steps back to give the dwarf some room to get up. Her posture seems less tense as she stands at ease, scanning the tree-line. Then she looks back to the group while they greet each other and get organized to return to the keep. Oh, how the adrenaline of that fight has worn off. I'm sure I skewered a couple of them. In any case, it's not as though we are danger free. Perhaps we'll be attacked at our camp on the way back to town. Yes, and I'll be ready.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros accepts the helping hand, and hauls himself up before answering. "Nothing much. A collapsed tunnel that might have served as an original entry point. If we are finished here, then we should begin our pursuit of the fleeing goblins before their trail grows cold. No sign of my hand axe. Was anything further discovered in the keep?"
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-12-17 at 10:00 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Mycah easily spots the signs of the fleeing goblins near the hole - a broken branch, trampled grass - the path heads away from the castle in roughly the direction he saw them traveling. How long the trail would last was hard to say, but for now, he could point the way.
    Forum Rules

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Brandon squints in the direction Mycah pointed out.

"Do we want to chase after them? I can't really say who will have the advantage in the forest."

He looks upward.

"Do goblins ever climb trees?"

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

"Mycah, you saw them leave - how many were there?"

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Ogre in the Playground

"I believe he said five to seven large ones before, hm?" Ash looks to Mycah for confirmation. "But, though I'd love to rid this area of them, perhaps we should finish securing the keep properly. Those vermin are probably long gone already and would be well prepared for any sort of counter attack from us." She looks to Nathros, "Oh, and we didn't do much digging around after you entered the hole."

24. - Top - End - #1314

RangerGuy

As the others cluster about the hole and help Nathros out, Mycah stands apart, gazing off into the forest where he saw the goblins disappear, a frown on his face. At Talsarios' question, he starts visibly. "Hmm? Sorry. Got distracted. How many, you said? Seven, if my eyes didn't deceive me. There is a clear trail here, though I can't say how long it will last. They had to have slowed down and taken more care once it was obvious no one was immediately following."

"Lad... Er, Ash has the right of it, I think." He flushes slightly, glancing at her as he recalls her displeasure at being referred to by title. "It's been long enough now that they've either kept running, or set an ambush for any followers. Like I said, I'd bet they were a lone band, holed up here on their own. Once you flushed them out of the keep they've no safe place to go or kin to bring back. I say we head back and finish searching the keep and securing it for Lord Bost."

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ogre in the Playground

Ash nods at this in agreement. As she has nothing more than that to add, she looks to be very pleased with Mycah's words.

Though there may yet be a vote to determine their course of action, Ash assumes that there has been enough discussion and begins to lead the way back to the keep. If she gets a solid twenty paces between her and the party and they still aren't following, she'll pause and wait expectantly.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Titan in the Playground

"No good leaving a band of goblins loose in the woods, whether they are heading for allies or no, this is our best chance to find and put an end to them. I would rather not have the deaths of any woodsmen and their families on my conscience, if it can be avoided. Chances are they are still nearby, watching us, or arguing amongst themselves and plotting revenge. The greedy wretches are probably weighed down by their treasure, rather make slow time than get away clean. I am a fair tracker, but no use my going alone."

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios frowns a little, clearly trying to think of the best course of action.
    "Well, now, I agree we should hunt out these fleeing goblins, if only to know where they've gone - but I think that the remaining areas of the keep won't take us too long to secure. Perhaps we should swiftly clear the last rooms of the keep out, and then chase the goblins - or will the tracks be spoiled by a delay of an hour or two?"
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2011-12-19 at 04:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

"By this point, if they're any threat, they'll find us in the night on our journey back to the town here." Ash tilts her head as the others discuss the proper course of action. She leans lightly on her bow which she braced against the ground.

29. - Top - End - #1319

RangerGuy

Mycah looks to the sky, trying to judge how much daylight remains, and if the weather may turn and ruin the trail by morning.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've lost track of the time - late afternoon by now, isn't it?
    And I don't recall you mentioning the weather at all? Any indication it will rain in the night?

"If the weather holds, then following that trail shouldn't be an issue even if we wait until morning, if it rains though..." He looks back at Ash and the keep towering behind her.
    "It matters not to me - keep or woods - but I still think it's smarter to finish securing the keep first and then finish off the goblins."

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

"Still a good six hours of daylight left, goblins hate the sun, if I am any judge they have gone to ground nearby to wait for the dark. If Lord Bost wants them slain, this is our best chance, no question."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2011-12-20 at 11:23 AM.