Page 46 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354555671 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2514

Thread: Old Ways IC

  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The lock seemed simple and well-made, and all that much harder to open for being set into the door, though. Nothing about it seemed to be a trap, but it sure was difficult to trip the tumbler. Mycah got the sense that he knew how it could be done, but it just required more skill or better luck than he had.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  2. - Top - End - #1352
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon looks a bit disappointed, then heads to the kitchen area to look for Devin.

    He checks first to see what Devin and his workmen are up to or doing, and he also says, "Devin, can you help us? We need some of your men with axes to chop down the door."

  3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah steps back from the door, a look of disappointment on his face. He sighs and grimaces at his waiting companions. "Well, I tried, but no luck. I can feel the lock trying to tumble, but I'm missing something critical - obviously. Looks like we're back to hacking our way in, unfortunately."

    He waits with the rest as Brandon goes to fetch Devin and his workmen.

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  4. - Top - End - #1354
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah steps back from the door, a look of disappointment on his face. He sighs and grimaces at his waiting companions. "Well, I tried, but no luck. I can feel the lock trying to tumble, but I'm missing something critical - obviously. Looks like we're back to hacking our way in, unfortunately."

    He waits with the rest as Brandon goes to fetch Devin and his workmen.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-01-01 at 07:17 PM.

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  5. - Top - End - #1355
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash shrugs, "A good try though. Seems like sometimes violence is just the answer." She gives a wink through the gap/slit in her helmet. "Perhaps, while things get organized, you could all take a break - get something to eat. I'll see what I can do to help them get this thing open."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ash will find Brandon and Devin and lend aid where possible, trying to make herself useful in areas she is less than specialized in.

  6. - Top - End - #1356
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Devin is happy to provide a pair of lumberjacks to hack down the door. The work goes slowly and reveals iron bands on the backside of the door, complicating the work. Eventually, by early evening, the thick doors have been cleared away and the iron bands removed to reveal a well-made wooden staircase to the upper floor.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who wants to take some action during the intervening hours, now is your shot, otherwise, go ahead and proceed into the future!
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros busies himself helping to clear the keep of goblin corpses and salvaging whatever equipment might be useful for future defence, occasionally muttering, "It is goblin necks I would rather we be cleaving than oaken doors."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  8. - Top - End - #1358
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "So much for a short quiet exploration - and there was I saying this would only take half an hour..." Talsarios mutters.
    He brightens up abrupty: "I say, why don't we use the time it will take to cut these doors down to go looking for goblins' trails? How long do you think that will take, chaps?"

  9. - Top - End - #1359
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash's fist rests loosely against her helmet's chin while her other arm lay tucked against her breastplate near the waist and she leans to one side. "Hm, yes, this does look like it may take some time. Things are in motion. We're done here for now. May as well." She nods at Talsarios' suggestion as her arms find their place by her sides. "All in favor? Let's go." Her head jerks at Nathros and the others to head out with her. Her demeanor suggests she's quite commited to this decision already.

  10. - Top - End - #1360
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah watches Devin's men set to their work, a bit dejected that he was unable to crack the lock. True, he hadn't much hope of success, but still - it would have been nice to show he could do it after all...

    "It seems you got your wish after all Talsarios. We've done all we can here for now. Back to the woods sounds fine to me!" If nothing else, the young woodsman seems cheered by the though of getting back outside among the trees.

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  11. - Top - End - #1361
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros is pleased at the turn of events, but wonders what Jeanne would have to say about the changeable nature of the hearts of men.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    "Wait a minute, have we explored up in the part of the second floor these stairs lead to?"

    Brandon is pointing up the newly discovered stairs.

    "Before we go, let's check, all right? I don't want to pass by a big treasure room through sheer carelessness."

    "Also, if there are still goblins up there, they might come down and slaughte the men. It behooves us to check first that the second floor really is empty."

  13. - Top - End - #1363
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "No, Brandon, we'll not be able to go up there until the door is cut through, which will take hours. There only seems to be this door in and out, and our woodsmen fellows are presently hitting it with axes," Talsarios says.
    "A wood-axe is a formidable weapon ... but perhaps you're right," he adds. "I say, Jeanne? Would you be prepared to stay with the woodsmen to aid them if there are lurking goblins beyond?"
    More quietly, he says aside to the elf: "Knowing you are here with your sleep spell and bow will lend bravery to these henchmen while were are gone."

  14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor

    Brandon says, "Oh."

    And he looks sheepish.

  15. - Top - End - #1365
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "I can stay," Jeanne agrees, biting back a comment on how she didn't need to be sold on every idea these humans came up with. Why they talked to her that way, like a trader to be convinced, she'd no idea. "Good luck in tracking the cretins."

    Devin speculates, "I can't imagine this'll take much past nightfall no matter how thick the door. Probably substantially less."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to re-find the trail and begin following it.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  16. - Top - End - #1366
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    "Come on then, everyone - let's go pick up the trail!" Talsarios picks up his pack and (somewhat awkwardly) buckles on his sword belt.

    Spoiler
    Show
    He'll head back out to where the hole the goblins came out of was. If no-one immediately follows, he'll go slowly, and keep a wary eye out, but he'll still go.
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-01-08 at 01:40 PM.

  17. - Top - End - #1367
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros leads the way.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  18. - Top - End - #1368
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Seeing Talsarios preparing himself, Mycah also gathers his things from where he had set them aside while tinkering with the door.

    Walking staff in hand, he falls in step with the wizard.
    "So tell me a bit about yourself and how you came to be traipsing about out in the wilderness and fighting goblins. It seems with your education that you could have a nice, safe position doing something in town rather than risking your neck like we need to."

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  19. - Top - End - #1369
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros leads the way back to the hole in the ground and the trail's start. He and Mycah take the vanguard in following the trail. It heads east, away from Threshold, and toward the Hill Follow River passing north of Highforge, a legendary gnomish stronghold. Talsarios came this way with his prior party, up the river, through the hills, and into the nearby river. Various streams and gullies cut through traveling north and south, mostly.

    The party, however, doesn't get far on the goblins' trail before they spot a goblin, about thirty yards away, leaning his back against a tree and facing their direction. He brandishes spear and seems to look angrily in their direction.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  20. - Top - End - #1370
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGirl

    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Brandon Bor


    Brandon readies his sword and shield for an attack. He looks upwards in case there are any goblins in the trees.

    He calls over his shoulder. "Those of you with sling or bow, shoot him. I'll cover you."

  21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Altair_the_Vexed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Northamptonshire, UK

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Talsarios smiles sadly when he's asked about his journey and appears on the cusp of a lengthy reply when the goblin is spied ahead. Quickly he readies his sling, swings it round and releases a bullet toward the enemy.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios MU 1, HP 1/1, AC 9, THAC0 19
    Sling - (1d20)[14]
    Damage - (1d4)[1]

  22. - Top - End - #1372
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan snaps out of his daydreaming, strafes for a clear shot and whips a sling stone at the goblin.

    "Hyeah!"

    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 2/2 AC: 2 THAC0: 19
    To hit: (1d20)[18]
    Damage: (1d4)[4]

  23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Matthew's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kanagawa, Japan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Nathros advances meaningfully on the goblin, if it looks like it is going to flee he hurls his spear at it.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Nathros, Level One Dwarf: AC 5(3); HP 4(3); THAC0 19.

    Attack Roll: (1d20+1)[19]
    Damage Roll: (1d6+1)[2]

    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

    – Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

  24. - Top - End - #1374
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash grins within as she knocks her bow, "Don't need to tell me twice."

    She lets an arrow loose at the goblin in the tree and glances about the area shortly after to see if there are any more. "He's probably just a scout"

    She reacted quickly and aimed to make it a pin cushion with no intent of interrogating it, though she wondered what Nathros was thinking, getting so close.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Ash, Level 1 Human Fighter: AC 2 (Shield over back) ; HP 4 ; Thac0(bow) 18.

    Attack Roll: (1d20)[6]

    Damage Roll: (1d6)[1]

  25. - Top - End - #1375
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, a roll for Alertness too:

    Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[19]

  26. - Top - End - #1376
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Mycah mutters a curse under his breath as they nearly stumble upon the goblin, berating himself for his lack of attention. He quickly knocks an arrow and lets fly at the goblin, hoping they can prevent him from alerting the rest of the filthy creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Mycah, Level 1 Human Thief, HP: 2/2, Thac0: 19
    Attack: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage: (1d6)[4]

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  27. - Top - End - #1377
    Gunslinger in the Playground Administrator
     
    Roland St. Jude's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    The goblin turns his shoulders as if to run or toss his spear, but he's cut down by a hail of missiles before he can do either. He slumps lifelessly against the tree.

    Ash doesn't hear or see anything else unusual. Something about this situation doesn't seem right, but it's hard to pinpoint anything specific.
    Steampunk Roland by The Randomizer
    Now gauging interest for Still Flyin' a potential PbP game using the new Firefly RPG.

    Forum Rules

  28. - Top - End - #1378
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central NY, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Even as the goblin falls, Mycah nocks another arrow and moves off the trail into the shelter of the trees. He goes to one knee, eyes scanning the area around them searching for signs of more goblins. He waves a hand at the others, signalling them to do the same and not stand there in plain sight.

    Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

  29. - Top - End - #1379
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Valameer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Stefan scans the area, then watches Mycah with a puzzled expression before comprehending his meaning.

    He pats his helmet down tight and moves into a better covered area, crouching and loading another sling bullet.

    "Was that all of them?" he whispers.

  30. - Top - End - #1380
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Old Ways IC

    Ash joins them and crouches beside Stefan with one knee down. She knocks another arrow. "Doubt it. Be on the look out. It's probably some kind of trap. Something doesn't feel right."

    She stays fast in her position and looks for rope or glinting metal, a strangely elevated log, or a patch of newly disturbed dirt. Perhaps they planned to sacrifice this one goblin for a greater gain. Or maybe he just died too fast to be of any use. Ash frowns and shrugs.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[14]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •